• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Cold Backed" Horse Humps Back in Canter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IterAndEra View Post
    Sheila,

I like your idea. So interesting. There is a train of thought going about my girl that it is all stressy TB mare tension that gets worse in the cold. Hope it's as easy a girth issue

Were they cranky about being tacked up? She is not cranky at all about being girthed up but is grouchy about having the saddle pad rearranged before I girth up. Is your thought that it is the nerves under her girth area being triggered by the movement of the hair pulling and that is why you shave?

Vet said to try a Tad Coffin girth but it's almost $400 which is way out of the budget. I school in a fleece one. Would you suspect girthy even though it seems seasonal?

Thanks for your info.
    The one mare that had almost the same exact symptoms as your mare wasn't really cranky about being tacked in the winter, but when you girthed her up (I always have girthed in stages, so it's not like I was baling it into her) she would cock her head sideways and grind her teeth, ears up, never tried to nip or cowkick. And she didn't do it in the warmer weather. She had been an unraced young TB mare, but really pretty mellow in general, but with a bucky/lunge thing for transistions into the canter. She would hump up a bit when you first got on her, wether she was lunged or not, but didn't buck. She would set her back down and relax and work really well through her top line after just a few minutes, so we called her cold backed. She was throughly vetted at Leesburg vet hospital, chiro'd, massaged, etc. Nothing was found, so we just figured it was a training thing that she'd probably grow out of since she was otherwise so good about everything.

We figured out she was girthy in a couple of ways. The first was that she destroyed her blanket one night and the only extra I had while hers was out to be repaired was the belly band one. She was immediately better to ride the very next day. We kept the belly band blanket on her and she got to the point where she would barely buck for a stride or two after the canter transition.

The second point, was that we started her jumping. (She was 4). We always lunged our horses over fences for a few sessions before they had their first under saddle jumping session, and without fail, she would warm up w/t on the lunge, buck a few strides into the first few canters on the lunge, and bucking explosion after jumping even a little crossrail on the lunge. So we started thinking that maybe she wasn't cold backed, but girthy. I had been riding her in a regular leather girth with an elastic end with a fleece girth cover. We switched her to a synthetic girth with no cover. Our thinking was that the girth would "slide" a little back and forth and not feel so confining to her. Again, immediate improvement, but still not perfect. So along the same line of thinking, we did a surgical blade clip along her girthline. After that, she would RARELY even hump up her back for mounting, canter transitions, or jumping efforts. After about a year, she was showing local shows and cleaning up, with never a buck in sight.

Anyway, hope things go well with figuring out what's going on with your girl. It's worth trying some things "out of the box" like we did to see if it helps.

Sheila

edited to add--the girth that we used for her was the generic synthetic girth from Bartville Harness in PA. It had a bit of a waffle weave texture to it, elastic on one end, straight not contoured, and only cost $35.
    Last edited by Chestnut Run; Jan. 20, 2013, 12:27 PM. Reason: about girth

Comment

Originally posted by IterAndEra View Post
      She is a horrible lunger - she falls in on the right and it ends up being rather unproductive with her trotting around doing her best not to use herself. Also, because she exhibits the same humping behavior on the lunge line I'd really like to get to the bottom of the issue

Do your horses exhibit the same humped back canter stuff?
      The really bad one has times when her back is 'too up' and she sort of 'tip toes' around. And other times when she just bucks your ass off righteously! Actually, it took her almost 2 years to learn to longe well. She could walk and trot but took off at the canter like a nut job. She was just unbalanced, over powered, and it would scare her.

I have a lot of ground work skills, so for horses that 'fall in' on a shoulder I work then on the rope halter for a good, long, time. Months, if that is what it takes for them to get their bodies strengthened/organized. If a rope halter is not your 'thing,' then you can look into 'in-hand' dressage work. Working the horse in a shoulder fore/shoulder in position on the ground.

Really, with skilled practitioners, you will see that much the same things can be addressed with rope halter or with 'in-hand' dressage work. But some folks prefer one to the other.
      "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

You went galloping on the beach ?!?! I'm sooooo jealous!
        "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
          You went galloping on the beach ?!?! I'm sooooo jealous!
          So much fun! I highly recommend it - and so does my horse's massage therapist! A good gallop to stretch and relax Miss' tense muscles.

Also had the chiro/vet out to check her over. After a full investigation he adjusted her sacrum and it released her back. No SI issues, just a routine adjustment. She was very happy. Back to the beach Sunday!

Comment

Originally posted by joiedevie99 View Post
            My first step would be to shoot some x-rays of the back and neck. If those are clean, I'd probably inject and rehab the SI and see where that got me.
            SI was my thought as well. Trot was fine, canter was a WRECK with my horse when his was out. One injection and he's been a new horse.

Comment

If you have checked soundness issues and the horse does it regardless of whether or not it is wearing a saddle, then the horse may just need to be told to Get Over It And Keep Going.

I rode a Morgan mare in TX that hadn't cantered for like the whole two years the owner had it, because on the two times that the owner tried, she crow hopped, kicked out, and pinged around.

I rode her a few times and told her, "You're going to canter. The end. Nobody cares about your thoughts on the matter."

This was the first canter:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFKt0...hIZSw&index=52

This was two weeks later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxnPXLMikag

Once she figured out that she could call the ASPCA all she wanted and nobody was going to come for her, she cantered around.
              The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
              Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
              Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
              The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

• Original Poster

Once she figured out that she could call the ASPCA all she wanted and nobody was going to come for her, she cantered around. [/QUOTE]

Haha. Sounds about right. When she humps her back now I go into two point and press her forward and sit down again. She gets the idea and puts her back down again. The ear pinning has subsided (for now anyway) so I don't think it's pain.

Comment

Working...
                X