• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sitting the trot -- my back is not happy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting the trot -- my back is not happy!

I can sit the quieter trot, but we have been teaching my horse a more expressive, amplified trot with a more dynamic step. And my back doesn't like it.

When his back is up and in a good spot, my back feels pretty fine. When he gets a little discombobulated and his trot is temporarily jarring, not so good. After a session of this new trot work, my back feels bothered sometimes for the rest of the day -- it's not horrible, but I can feel the difference.

I don't have a great back to begin with, and I'm very selective about what I do in order to keep it comfortable and good. So far, so good in keeping it pain free, both in my regular life and my riding life.

So, any suggestions about keeping my back comfortable during this learning curve? Cashel pad for the seat? Standing up? or just posting? I am considering using a chicken strap to just pull myself in deep, but am daunted by trying to use it and riding properly with connection during these training sessions.

Any thoughts (productive ones, of course) most welcome!

Yoga and stretching. I also used to load up with NSAIDS ahead of time, but I've read that doing that is actually counterproductive. I doubt I could sit any trot at this point in time, unfortunately. The chicken strap would be great but I understand the potential loss of connection - can you work on riding one handed on occasion?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Comment

Learn to ride him so his back stays up. Now isn't that a helpful comment?

You could however stay in rising trot throughout your warm up and early lateral work, until his back does come up, and then go to your sitting work. Riding shoulder in and haunches in in rising trot makes life easier for them too.
      Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

You have to strengthen your core muscles, because it will help your back (and your riding). I have a "bad" back, and it's gotten progressively worse until I thought I just couldn't sit the trot anymore, even cantering was a challenge. When even riding in 2-point got painful, I saw a doctor who gave me Celebrex, which gave me nausea.

So I decided to try something else. I started with ashtanga yoga once a week (not all yoga is created equal), then added Pilates 1x or 2x a week, and it worked wonders.

Now, if I don't do some sort of intense core exercise every single week, I can feel it in my back. For me, it's ALL about having a strong core.
        Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

Pilates will help your back, not only for riding, but for the rest of your life. Time to start strengthening that core! Yoga to stretch it all out. Perhaps you can look into your posture too. I sometimes catch myself riding with too much forward tilt to my pelvis and my back will ache afterwards.

Comment

The minute that you feel his trot get discombobulated POST. Then when you get him back together again, sit.
            "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

• Original Poster

Hmmmm... well, I'm not that good enough of a rider to keep the horse's back optimal every single step while he's going through this learning curve. His back is quite good most of the time, but while we amplify his step, he goes in/out of his back being up and 'soft.'

His back is quite good in the working gaits and during warm up, where I switch back 'n' forth between sitting and rising. Sitting at this level of 'ummphh' is not uncomfortable.

Sophie - Well, I think I might try what you're recommending, although I feel like my core is super strong. It feels like a rock -- even my personal-trainer sister is impressed -- when the muscles are engaged, but I have OK suppleness otherwise. I do 10-15min. stretching most days, esp. through hips, and use the foam roller lots, too. There is yet another peak of fitness to achieve, is what you're saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
                The minute that you feel his trot get discombobulated POST. Then when you get him back together again, sit.
                This is what I suggest, too...and what I do with my mare who is also learning the ins and outs of true collection and extension. So, when things head south with her connection and I lose her back, I post a bit until I can get her back under herself. Then, sitting back down on her feels MUCH better. Some days, I look like a loon, I'm sure...back and forth from sitting to posting to sitting to posting. But...it makes her back happy AND mine too!

Comment

Go read my posts in How to Halt?
                  And remember the waist is not a joint
                  And if it keeps up, your saddle is either too small or too deep
                  www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                  chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

• Original Poster

Oberon and E. Horseman - That is exactly what I'm thinking and relating to. So, I will go ahead and go to the posting. My trainer really encourages getting good stuff, then dialing down, regrouping, then going again.

PetStoreJunkie - not to worry! My waist isn't a hinge. It's more about a learning curve that, well, maybe you never have a bad step when you ride, but I certainly do during the 'curve,' and I just want to live to ride another day...

Comment

Have you tried riding in a thinline pad? I have back issues and am at the tail end of a battle with sciatica and the thineline and LOTS of stretching core strength workouts are what are helping. Good luck

Comment

Lots of good advice here. I'm in the same spot myself, as we work on a REAL working trot and move towards lengthenings and mediums. And I have a bad back.

My solution has been good chiropractic for myself, and regular core strengthening and yoga. I really can tell when I've slacked off as my back will hurt for several days. But once I go back to maintaining my exercises, it goes back to feeling good. Working with a good physical therapist helped me develop the right exercises for my particular problems.
                        Here Be Dragons: My blog about venturing beyond the lower levels as a dressage amateur.

Comment

You definitely need core strength to sit the trot properly. Also, try more transitions to keep your horses back up consistently during your sessions. It's not good for them to be inverted and unbalanced... just as it is uncomfortable for us. Try your transitions without stirrups in order to ensure your body is in the correct position and you are not putting undo stress on your back to try and brace yourself against your horses bigger movement. You need to learn to not fight the movement, let go and absorb it thru your core. Good luck!!!

Comment

Are you lucky enough to have an instructor who is super picky about your seat?

If so, I'd be getting eyes on the ground to see if there's a problem there ASAP, because it's really hard to fix bad habits (duck butter attempting to reform here!). If I sit correctly my back doesn't bother me regardless of size of movement... UNLESS I am in a saddle which fits poorly. Too deep seat + thigh blocks in the wrong place forcing my legs back too far for my hip flexibility = an extremely sore back. The larger the movement of the horse the more you need to be able to move through your hip joints with the horse - getting your legs too straight and hips too open will limit that and force the movement into your back. In my case too wide a twist does the same thing, and as I just discovered temperatures below freezing will as well, so in those situations I post!
                            Originally posted by Silverbridge
                            If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                              Learn to ride him so his back stays up. Now isn't that a helpful comment?

You could however stay in rising trot throughout your warm up and early lateral work, until his back does come up, and then go to your sitting work. Riding shoulder in and haunches in in rising trot makes life easier for them too.
                              Yes. This. If he "disconnects" go to rising trot, get him working through his back and into the bridle, then sit. I do all warmup rising trot (my horse has quite a bit of suspension). Then start some sitting trot work. If he hollows or stiffens, I briefly try to get him back with seat/legs/half-halts, but if that doesn't work, back to rising trot. (I'm 67, so while I have no major problems, my back doesn't love a hard/stiff backed trot, either. Actually, I find it's a pretty good "monitor": If I can't sit it/am uncomfortable, I probably don't have his back. If I can sit his trot (without noticeable shortening of stride, etc.), then all is good! LOL

Comment

I have no further suggestions really, but I'm guessing that when his trot disconnects that you also stiffen in response which compounds the problem. I have been there many times...
                                What I found great about pilates was not just improved core strength, but the development of my ability to separate body parts - engage core, do not lock back, hips or shoulders.
                                We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

• Original Poster

We rode yesterday...

Tiny update! Between my cry of help to the COTH board and my next ride, I took time to work out tight lower back/ab muscles, which consistently have been the source of any body pain. This provided a ton of relief. Should have done this therapy sooner, as I could feel discomfort building over the past several weeks.

Added the thinline pad, per EllenG's suggestion, and chicken strap to saddle. Thought hard about my plan and my priorities as we walked our first 5 minutes of the ride. Was ready with concept of going to post should my horse's trot get too large for both of us. Was pragmatic and unemotional about bailing out of the trot exercise if back pain reared its head.

When we were warmed up and ready (he loves doing this exercise, of expanding his trot down the long side, then coming back, then going down the next long side with again. TBs!! ), off we went. And?

He held his back fabulously up and swingy for many more steps than from the other days, my back didn't twinge, I had to post just a few times during the session when we were 'having too much fun,' and my face split in two from smiling in sheer euphoria. 24 hours later, my back feels fine. Did see the chiro last night, too.

Am confident that the posting is the solution. His back is normally quite available, but suffers the normal learning curve response of going in and out of hiding, and it's these moments that were causing my pain. With the solution of posting, thin-lining, etc., I hope we're good to go... Thank you so much to everyone for weighing in with ideas and solutions and reading the OP.

Comment

Working...
                                  X