• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle Recommedations: Please help....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K panel, full front or wither gusset and higher head saddles/more curve to the tree can be a help fitting the "typical" Tb. Upswept panels can be a help with a short back. If your mare has a well-sprung rib cage, a gusseted panel in the rear would probably be a help as well, since the gusset will help flatten (laterally) the bearing surface. Black Country, Frank Baines, Albion, and the new Loxley/Bliss saddles would be worth considering. If you need a saddle with a more forward balance point, Prestige, Amerigo/Vega and a couple of the new Passier models offer that. And I'll second hoopoe's advice of working with a competent fitter who's going to spend time finding a saddle that really fits rather than simply trying to sell whatever s/he carries.
    Kitt Hazelton
    Saddle Fitter
    www.pantherrunsaddlery.com
    www.saddlefitter.blogspot.com

Comment

It's too bad if your local Schleese person isn't the best fitter because my horse is a big, WB-sized TB with high withers, too. She goes really well in a Schleese but Albion was a disaster for us (and it was semi-custom!). But I've always thought that our Albion issue was the 'fitter.'

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

I went away for a few days. so, I just noticed all the recent posts

Im beginning to think I do need a "saddle fitter".....

I would like to find someone who doesnt endorse a particular brand, but, has a lot of options for the best fit for my girl.

can anyone recommend someone in Michigan?.. I can travel with her....

I closed the page with her picture.. I will reopen it so you all can see her

saddle fit is so hard for me. I know if its not right.. we (my little red mare and I) just dont have a good time, lol.....

Comment

In Michigan:

Jeff Kalman (I've worked with him before; he reps, but is very objective & a good fitter). 734/726-0197.
          Tish Graf (I've dealt with her a bit too, she's a Mike Scott grad) 708/927-2309
          Cyndi Parks (I've dealt with her once or twice; she's in IL but covers some of MI) 231/233-0764
          Pam Omer, SMS QSF (don't remember ever dealing with her, but she has the education) 517/499-0983.

Good luck!
          Kitt Hazelton
          Saddle Fitter

Comment

A Spirig would work! If money is truly no object you can have one custom made by Spirig. http://www.spirigsaddlery.com/index.html

Or a saddle fitter could help you to reflock a used saddle

http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/tack/spirigsaddle.html
            "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post

My horse: 17hh TB, mare. Built like a big-azz Warmblood. but, with a nice wither on her. Huge stride. Short, wide back.

Merry Christmas - BTW
              I had the same typeish of TB to fit.
              17 h. SUPER short backed. WIDE table back but with a wither.

EqTrainer helped me out big time fitting him.
              Basically..she mentioned I needed to buy a saddle to fit the back...and then gusset to fit the wither.

Also, I am 6' tall so I'm a tough fit as well.

Here is the horse:
              http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ensnewpics.jpg

Also, you ask about twists,
              Twists are 100% personal preference.
              The twist is the area where your crotch sits. I like a SUPER narrow twist. There are lines in the leather of the saddle that sort of make an hour glass shape (if you look straight down). If the most narrow part of the hour glass is an inch or so--it's a narrow twist. But the "feel" of the twist also has to do with the rise of the pommel. A low pommeled saddle may feel wider... a low pommel (or head) won't work on a TB with high withers.

I ended up getting a wide Amerigo Vega. It has a super narrow twist and I liked the knee blocks as well.

The saddle also has upswept panels which are good for the horse who has a very short back or high croup.

I custom make a gusset for 20 bucks.
              like this:
              http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...therreleif.jpg

I cut off the area in blue.

with this home made gusset--this saddle has fit every horse that I ride.
              It works on my mom's XW paint horse without the gusset..
              And it works on my Medium TB with a gel pad and the gusset.
              It's a well balanced saddle and with some sort of padding--I can make it fit everyone.
              I've never had a horse not like it.
              The Amerigo Deep on the other hand (which in theory is about the same as the Vega)--was the only saddle that the gray horse hated. I thought he was going to dump me. The gullet was only about an inch wide!!!
              http://kaboomeventing.com/
              http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
              Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Originally posted by Kitt View Post
                K panel, full front or wither gusset and higher head saddles/more curve to the tree can be a help fitting the "typical" Tb. Upswept panels can be a help with a short back. If your mare has a well-sprung rib cage, a gusseted panel in the rear would probably be a help as well, since the gusset will help flatten (laterally) the bearing surface. Black Country, Frank Baines, Albion, and the new Loxley/Bliss saddles would be worth considering. If you need a saddle with a more forward balance point, Prestige, Amerigo/Vega and a couple of the new Passier models offer that. And I'll second hoopoe's advice of working with a competent fitter who's going to spend time finding a saddle that really fits rather than simply trying to sell whatever s/he carries.
                this in bold.
                The Vega was the one saddle that put in the front...and didn't scoot me back.

You really have to narrow down what you want as well as horse fit. There are too many options out there! Like buying tooth paste...I just stand and stare at all of the brands every time I have to purchase new toothpaste. lol
                http://kaboomeventing.com/
                http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

You might look into Balance saddles--their Nexus dressage saddle has a moderate twist but a very wide tree, and then you customize the fit with pads. They will do a fitting remotely (with videos and pictures) or, if Carol Brett (one of the founders) is doing a tour in the U.S. in the spring, as she often does, she'd is fantastic at in-person fitting.

I've ridden in the Nexus dressage saddle for the last 6 years, and I have a TB mare who is wide-backed but has some wither as well.

Their site is definitely worth checking out:http://www.balanceinternational.com
                  "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks everyone!

Im checking all the posts/links out

ive decided that I would probably want a med/narrow twist

also, I think I want more of a flatter panel against her back, rather than a panel that sits on an angle... (hope that makes sense ) and definitely WIDE..

thats about all I have right now..... and some fitter recommendations...

Comment

• Original Poster

so, here are some im looking at.. or some like these from other sites, even new ones

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/dem...mpetitor-17-w/

is this one leather??? im confused
                      http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/dem...kur-17-5-w-wg/

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/dem...7-5-w-upswept/

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/dem...vinici-17-5-w/

Comment

The Eden and Competitor have curvier trees and are suited to that back shape. The Vinici / Kur (which are leather but can have serge panels) tend to fit a horse with a decent wither and then a long, flat back. If your horse is short-backed, the rear panels may be too long and may cause issues.
                        Kitt Hazelton
                        Saddle Fitter

Comment

• Original Poster

grr! wish you lived by me kitt...

Comment

My saddle fitter recommended a great book for me to read. The Horses Pain-Free Back and Saddle Fit Book. I bought it on Amazon. It is an easy read with lots of good information.

Comment

Jumpin_Horses, pm me and we'll chat. I may be able to help you out.
                              Kitt Hazelton
                              Saddle Fitter

Comment

Options...

Have you looked here?
                                http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/catalog.htm?Vl=2&Tp=2

Comment

http://www.hulsebossaddles-usa.com/home.cfm

these are some of the best people I've come across. Very professional, 100% honest. If somethings not quite right they'll take the saddle back no questions asked. all real riders and horse people. Super quality saddles, they can build one to fit literally any horse!
                                  The only thing about these saddles is that they aren't super "built up", and they don't really "lock" you into place with big thigh blocks and a deep seat. I like it, but I've met one or two people that don't. Also, you have to wait a really long time for the saddles and the fitter to come (usually about six months), at least where I live.

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks everyone.. check out the links

I think my biggest problem is that I have TMI...

I got Dr. Robson's video, and I think im too picky now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd2NqTPmjDU

Comment

It's easy to over-think the saddle issue. It's really pretty straightforward, though some fitters do try to make it a combination of alchemy and rocket science. Working with a good fitter can make a big difference. And if you'd like to read up on saddle fit, Dr. Harman's book is good; I'd also recommend "Saddle Fitting Essentials", by Galadriel Billington, available here: http://lorienstable.com/book/. It's one of the most straightforward, concise books on the subject that I've ever seen.
                                      Kitt Hazelton
                                      Saddle Fitter

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Kitt View Post
                                        It's easy to over-think the saddle issue. It's really pretty straightforward, though some fitters do try to make it a combination of alchemy and rocket science. Working with a good fitter can make a big difference. And if you'd like to read up on saddle fit, Dr. Harman's book is good; I'd also recommend "Saddle Fitting Essentials", by Galadriel Billington, available here: http://lorienstable.com/book/. It's one of the most straightforward, concise books on the subject that I've ever seen.
                                        cool, thanks.. I will get those... Im in no hurry, I want the right saddle

I kind of like this one

http://www.horseclicks.com/albion_sl...saddles/298560

Comment

The SLK is built on a curvier tree, and the high-head option is helpful for big withers and/or a dippier back. Good for the "typical" Tb-type.
                                          Kitt Hazelton
                                          Saddle Fitter

Comment

Working...
                                          X