• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why Western dressage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rules prohibit cavessons and hackamores. The equipment you mention us english equipment. I doubt the usef rule book for Dressage prohibits bosals or tapaderos lol.

Comment

Well, at some point I'm glad because I'm sure people would have tried to use a flash with a curb bit at intro level...

Anyway, there is no point in a spade bit at Intro level.

That's it.
      ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
      I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
      HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
        The rules prohibit cavessons and hackamores. The equipment you mention us english equipment. I doubt the usef rule book for Dressage prohibits bosals or tapaderos lol.
        It's in there exactly as listed. I couldn't cut/paste because it's a PDF, so I just hyperlinked the rules and the exact section. I guess they use English terms for sake of people crossing over.

Paula
        He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Originally posted by Thoroughbred in Color View Post
          I don't want this to be a debate on the merits (or lack of) Western dressage, there are already a few threads that go in that direction.

I just want to know, for those of you that participate in Western dressage, why do you do it/what got you interested in it? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just trying to understand the motivation. I just don't get it. At all. For what it's worth, I would be just as confused if an "English reining" thread popped up in the Western forum.
          Reining got me interested in dressage, so western dressage just seemed natural. I kept hearing reining trainers say, "...well a lot of what I do is based on dressage..."

I started out riding Western, but my focus now is on dressage. If I want to ride Western, I do (and use skills I've learned in my dressage lessons), but I feel like the tack is very restrictive. It dulls my ability to feel my horse and I feel like I don't get as quick of a response.
          I agree about the saddles. But now I do like bosals!

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
            It's in there exactly as listed. I couldn't cut/paste because it's a PDF, so I just hyperlinked the rules and the exact section. I guess they use English terms for sake of people crossing over.

Paula
            We posted at the same time. I was addressing the other poster's assertion they were not specifically prohibited... to which I said what I said.

Comment

Well that's cleared up then. So without the nose band would poor use of a lever bit be very obvious -gaping and such?

Paula
              He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                Two competitors were at our Fall Show and they both are interested in more forward-moving Western horses than you'd find in any WP class. One rides a paint, the other, an Appaloosa. The appy owner also shows a good bit in the Stock Horse Association shows, where more 'naturally/normally' moving Western horse are shown on the rail, in ranch trail, ranch reining, ranch roping, etc...so they are using Western Dressage as another venue to show their horses, get detailed score sheets on their corners, straightness, rhythm, etc, and both ride well, on very crisp-moving, obedient, nice horses.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I show in Gaited Dressage and have found the local schooling shows a nice venue to show and get scored.

When Stock Horse shows are only held 3-4 times a year, the opportunity to hit a Western Dressage class at a schooling show is another way to work on your nerves and get out there and have fun.
                I have shown in the Southeast Region ASHA Stock Horse Shows too. The stock horse pleasure classes require walk, ext walk, sitting trot, 'ext' trot, lope, and ext lope, one stop & turn around, back up. now extended trot doesn't mean the same thing as in dressage, obviously. But it has made a lot of people appreciate real dressage and want to learn to apply basic dressage principles to improve the riders themselves and their horses.

This is the basis for my interest in 'western dressage'. I want to learn and try to improve my riding and my horse. I have no interest whatsoever in formalities, politics, competition, and such.

Comment

I can't wait to do western dressage, personally. I like the idea because its something I can do with my APHA gelding (who also does regular dressage, hunt seat in the field and show ring, western ring events, western cow events, all halter events, ummmm.....lets say everything except saddle seat). Number one, it's another event to do, something to keep my horse and I fresh. Number two, I own a paint--not a warmblood. It lets us stock breed owners have more competitive test scores, while still having the benefits of some dressage training (can't wait for stock breed classes for traditional dressage....someday!). Western dressage patterns/tests are a simplified version of western horsemanship (equitation) patterns at breed shows, also letting people with stock bred horses who can't or don't want to show in horsemanship compete in something.
                  IMHO, asking a stock breed owner why we want to do western dressage as opposed to "English dressage" (or both) is like asking us why we do western horsemanship, hunt seat equitation, and all around competitions at breed shows....why would we do just one event when our horses are made to do ALL the events? Seeing all the controversy here about WD I guess "one horse to do it all" isn't the goal of a lot of riders, but us all arounders won't muddy the discipline, and true western training has quite a bit in common with dressage training (there is common ground!!).
                  A word on curbs....the western curb is not used like or really even similar to the double bridle on an upper level horse. We don't use even half the contact on those bits that an English rider would on the double, even when we have contact (yes, I have ridden with a double before). Our horses are not steered by the bit, they are turned/bended/half halted with our seats and legs entirely. We pick up a little finger and our horses know to rock back and collect. Wiggle the drape in the reins an inch? The western horse slows each foot step. My horse loves his 8 inch shank with 1 inch port far more than my copper mouth loose ring, because he knows that when its in, his face won't ever be touched. That is why it's appropriate for a "lower level" western horse to wear the curb--as long as the horse has been finished properly, he will be much happier in the curb than the snaffle. Snaffles are our training bits, when they have to work more, frame up, move their feet in all directions, etc etc etc--the curb is a vacation.

Hope that explains it a little!
                  "It's great that you have a favorite animal, but how about picking a cooler one like a horse? Or a miniature horse?"

Comment

I attended a western dressage clinic at Equine Affaire. The audience was packed. The clinician (who I thought was not very good) had a difficult time explaining basic concepts to the enthusiastic audience.

What struck me was how involved the audience was in what a dressage person would consider basic. Contact, self carriage, through, all of these basic things were new and complicated to them. Yet they were excited to have the secrets of doing dressage revealed, it wasn't boring or snobby, it was fascinating. As I watched I realized that these people came to realize that riding figures in a sand ring with a little white fence wasn't JUST pattern riding. I think it's something that they thought was out of their reach before, and a sport that didn't really welcome them.

Given the opinion of many people on this BB I think that they are right, it's not fair to bash western dressage and tell people that all they have to do is change their tack and get an expensive dressage trainer. I think we should be welcoming people to dressage any way they want to get here.

I think that western dressage has the possibility of attracting a whole new group of people to the sport, and that maybe some of those people, still hungry after their introduction to western dressage, might want to buy that dressage saddle and come on over a bit more.
                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

FWIW, when I wanted to do a trail class at my barn's show series in California more-than-several-years ago, the "western" organizer said that they were part of the "western classes" and insisted that I do them in western tack ... plus, because my mare was older than some age, I had to use a curb bit one-handed, not a snaffle.
                      *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

Originally posted by alibi_18 View Post
                        You are wrong. What is important is what is allowed or not.
                        It gives the right to use all kind of bits and that goes against all dressage principles.

What kind of training practices is WD advocating? If those bits are allowed they will be used.
                        Who cares about one or two people? The rules applies to all. Don't complain later if your horse never wins against those who are following the rule (rules you endorse by joining) and using the high port, lever, spade bits that shouldn't be seen in proper lower level dressage.
                        Personally, I think the heinous over tightening of nosebands "goes against all dressage principals." But there ain't no real chance in hell that FEI competition riders are going to let anyone take that away from them.

Honestly, if you want to be true to 'real dressage principals' you have to follow one of the non competitive schools. SRS/Cadre Noir, or the folks like Bent Branderup who are marching to their own tune.

What kind of training is the FEI advocating when it allows the over cranked nosebands and the over cranked necks?

For me, I would take a well ridden horse in a spade bit WITHOUT it's mouth cranked shut over a Gold Medal winning FEI horse with a gel padded noseband and crown piece (gel padded because it is so tight.)

As for what is "important," well, there are enough options out there that everyone can decide for themselves what is, and is not, important. If I hit the power ball lottery tomorrow and decided to send a fancy horse out for training, I would pick Buck Brannaman over Anky ANY DAY, everyday, and forever.
                        "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

In answer to the original question: Haven't a clue!!

BUT, it does have me thinking more about quiet riding, thoughtful riding and communicating more clearly with my horse. So, in that regard, it's beneficial. But everyone should ride like that every time no matter what the seat or discipline. If western *dressage* promotes that, then it's good.
                          Ride like you mean it.

Comment

IMH (no one really cares)O. Competitive western dressage is just another excuse to collect ribbons and for shows to fill classes. Good western riding should have all the same basics as good dressage riding and be judged in the western disciplines. There's a reason for western tack and a western horse's way of going. Carry on.....
                            Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                              Well that's cleared up then. So without the nose band would poor use of a lever bit be very obvious -gaping and such?

Paula
                              Actually, no. See the widespread use of curbs in the Hunter and Showing world (British shows being a prime example). These bits can be used to induce a certain head posture, but there is typically no gaping of the mouth or other inevitable giveaways. In reality, the flexion of the poll should be a result of a lifted back and actively engaged hindquarters. Curbs can be used to simply "get the head in", and it takes an educated rider to know the difference - probably one already schooling beyond Intro/Training level.

Fwiw, I generally think Western dressage will be good for horses and riders. I do find it troubling though that so many people seem to think that a "western horse" can't track up, and that's supposedly one of the reasons why WD is needed. My fear is that WD could encourage amateurs to give their horses a pass in this sense, and not seek to develop them to their full potential. I really hope that doesn't happen.

What we really need IMO is improved dressage judging that awards marks starting from each horse's potential, and in the US a points system that forces high scoring horses AND riders to move up or into Open divisions. I suspect WD is becoming popular partly because people like the idea of dressage but want to be competitive. They also want to have fun, and some of the breeds in question are genuinely difficult to train for throughness and impulsion, even for pros.
                              Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Comment

Could you repeat this...in bold and bigger letters?!?

Originally posted by CFFarm View Post
                                IMH (no one really cares)O. Competitive western dressage is just another excuse to collect ribbons and for shows to fill classes. Good western riding should have all the same basics as good dressage riding and be judged in the western disciplines. There's a reason for western tack and a western horse's way of going. Carry on.....
                                Ride like you mean it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
                                  FWIW, when I wanted to do a trail class at my barn's show series in California more-than-several-years ago, the "western" organizer said that they were part of the "western classes" and insisted that I do them in western tack ... plus, because my mare was older than some age, I had to use a curb bit one-handed, not a snaffle.
                                  That's too bad. At the Oregon Horse Center, where I used to board, they host several very big trail shows a year. Most of the horses go in Western tack, but there are no discipline specific restrictions. I've seen horses go around the trail course bareback or with all types of English saddles and Aussie saddles. As long as the horse is being ridden in a safe (for the rider and the horse) manner they don't care about tack because it is supposed to be as close to what you would actually do on a trail as possible.
                                  It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
                                  Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
                                    Personally, I think the heinous over tightening of nosebands "goes against all dressage principals." But there ain't no real chance in hell that FEI competition riders are going to let anyone take that away from them.

Honestly, if you want to be true to 'real dressage principals' you have to follow one of the non competitive schools. SRS/Cadre Noir, or the folks like Bent Branderup who are marching to their own tune.

What kind of training is the FEI advocating when it allows the over cranked nosebands and the over cranked necks?

For me, I would take a well ridden horse in a spade bit WITHOUT it's mouth cranked shut over a Gold Medal winning FEI horse with a gel padded noseband and crown piece (gel padded because it is so tight.)

As for what is "important," well, there are enough options out there that everyone can decide for themselves what is, and is not, important. If I hit the power ball lottery tomorrow and decided to send a fancy horse out for training, I would pick Buck Brannaman over Anky ANY DAY, everyday, and forever.

Well said. Western dressage, or "Dressage without the attitude."

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you to those of you who stayed on topic.

I think I have a much better idea of why people are interested in it. The common denominator seems to be a correctly moving, forward horse. The typical WP horse movement is why I got OUT of showing in Western rail classes.
                                      It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
                                      Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That's too bad. At the Oregon Horse Center, where I used to board, they host several very big trail shows a year. Most of the horses go in Western tack, but there are no discipline specific restrictions. I've seen horses go around the trail course bareback or with all types of English saddles and Aussie saddles. As long as the horse is being ridden in a safe (for the rider and the horse) manner they don't care about tack because it is supposed to be as close to what you would actually do on a trail as possible.
                                        Welll....but...

if the 'series' was a western-oriented series...all they had in their books were western-oriented rules, and the age of the horse requiring a shanked bit is absolutely a western-themed rule. Junior horses in snaffles or bosals, Senior horses in curbs.

You have to go to a thing like the Oregon Horse Center 'series' in order to ride in whatever tack you want. That's just how the rules are written by the different organizations.

Comment

Thank you to those of you who stayed on topic.

I think I have a much better idea of why people are interested in it. The common denominator seems to be a correctly moving, forward horse. The typical WP horse movement is why I got OUT of showing in Western rail classes.
                                          Yes. That may be so. The WP discipline has dug itself into a righteous hole (one could argue the same for 'big lick' walking horses, etc.) from which there seems to be no way out. This is one way 'out' for people interested in a certain style of riding, but NOT interested in the extremes that have developed out of the show ring.
                                          "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

Working...
                                          X