• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lois Yukin's "From the Judges Box" in the USDF Connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lois Yukin's "From the Judges Box" in the USDF Connection

Someone please explain to me exactly what she meant under "myths" with this response.

Myth: Awards are always correct and well earned.

Reply: Until riders, trainers and organizers stop manipulating the scores given at the shows they attend, the award system will remain skewed.

Um, the JUDGES give the scores. What the heck is up with that comment/reply?
    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Purely a guess but does she mean in terms of hiring the judges (we know certain judges do not get hired back at some shows), cherry picking which judges one shows under, etc? I know of some people who scratch because they see a judge scoring a certain way and do not want to risk a low score. I know of some people who go to shows in another state in order to show under specific judges and other ways to "help" in the quest to win/earn awards. Whether or not this is what she is referring to is speculative but it's what I presumed she meant.
    Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

Originally posted by Velvet View Post
      Reply: Until riders, trainers and organizers stop manipulating the scores given at the shows they attend, the award system will remain skewed.
      That comment jumped out at me as well when I read the article yesterday. I sure would like to hear the author elaborate on it.
      Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

exvet has good point as to how riders /trainers choose shows

though it is an open market and one can go anyplace they please

Same too the show management, they are running a buisness and they can chose to hire, or not, any judge they feel the public wants.

That is free enterprise.

As a show secretary, I have had riders call and request not to be in a class in from of X judge as they would bring down their average.

I have seen a rider try to withdraw from a ride because she felt the ride was not going well and she was foolish enough to state to the judge that she did not want to ruin her year end score.

That judge ( who is not one to trifle with) said no way, and to continue.

Lois is usually pretty well spoken, but this appears a bit vague and does not help illuminate the problem( if there truly is one) or the solution.

The only way to have a true , open evaluation is to have the federation assign random judges and the riders do not know who will be in the box until the day.
        _\\]
        -- * > hoopoe
        Procrastinate NOW
        Introverted Since 1957

Comment

The manipulations are many: riders/trainers competing horses which are trained at a far higher level than they are being competed, riders/trainers claiming 'wins' in classes where they are the only rider, rider/trainers searching out or demanding from show management that they hire the Santa Claus judges, refusing to ride in front of a particular judge or scratching from a class where they have 'too much competition', my big no-no: trainers riding in Opportunity classes or Intro classes and adding that to thier award notches. And don't forget the trainers who have the big paid for PR machines or who send expensive presents to judges.

Comment

Awards are based on scores at a particular level. So a First ribbon with a too low score will not count toward an award, nor will placings and scores outside of the level for which the award is give. Picking high scoring judges, or lenient judges, most certainly will help though.
            Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

• Original Poster

I still come back to blaming judges, when it comes to Santa Claus scores and shows cherry picking judges to get more competitors solely for the score.

I blame the USEF for not forcing riders to move up or be given a different rating. We should handicap it like golf, taking both horse and rider into consideration--for year end awards, as both rider and horse cumulative awards.
              "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

Wow, I had no idea all of that type of stuff went on . . . scratching due to certain judges, not showing if a class is too big, only showing under "easy" judges. Wow. I certainly know people who ride a horse in a class that is way below the horse's experience level, but wow to all the other stuff, too!
                "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Pony View Post
                  Wow, I had no idea all of that type of stuff went on . . . scratching due to certain judges, not showing if a class is too big, only showing under "easy" judges. Wow. I certainly know people who ride a horse in a class that is way below the horse's experience level, but wow to all the other stuff, too!
                  Yeah, and I've seen pro riders purposefully get disqualified when the ride wasn't going well - whoops, we jumped out of the arena. It happens. I see a lot of scratches in shows where a judge's scores are posting low.

I figure I paid my darn hard-earned $, I'm not stratching unless my horse is lame! But yes, people are quite capable of manipulating the system.

Comment

PP, fwiw it's not necessarily just about "easy" judges. My friend with her Friesian mare has learned that some judges just don't score her horses well, clearly with a bias. She spends a lot of time and money showing and her goal is championships, why spend the time and money to show under a judge that you know will score you low simply because of your horse's breed? One judge consistently scores her 5++ points lower than her average, which puts her under a qualifying score.

So it goes both ways.
                    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Originally posted by Velvet View Post
                      I still come back to blaming judges, when it comes to Santa Claus scores and shows cherry picking judges to get more competitors solely for the score.

I blame the USEF for not forcing riders to move up or be given a different rating. We should handicap it like golf, taking both horse and rider into consideration--for year end awards, as both rider and horse cumulative awards.
                      I agree 100%. But what do you do when someone tops out but is getting ridiculously high scores at their level? I think that's the big thing with 1st-2nd level. 1st level is really pretty easy, but what if someone simply cannot put a second level test together?
                      On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

• Original Poster

I think that if you are cleaning up at a level and can't move on, you should be asking yourself why you can't move on and how many awards at one level are enough. If you can't do that, then you get pushed out by being over qualified.

Comment

There are also judges who score ammis lower than pros. Or who give out offensive comments -making personal comments instead of just judging the training. So choosing not to ride again under certain judges does go both ways.

I'm with blaming the judges and those who license them.

I also found that there was no true answer about judges giving lower marks for not braiding and dressing to conform (not talking about following rules).

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
                            I agree 100%. But what do you do when someone tops out but is getting ridiculously high scores at their level? I think that's the big thing with 1st-2nd level. 1st level is really pretty easy, but what if someone simply cannot put a second level test together?
                            There may already be a rule like this in place, but a pair winning the Regionals at a given level should not be permitted to win Regionals again at the same level. I think our Region 1 BLM finals has a similar rule.

Comment

Also, I want to make a couple other comments on the article. This is just the opinion of Lois and those other judges who provided her with input. Who's to say those judges were honest? I mean...are they really going to admit that they believe going first in a class is a handicap? Or that turnout doesn't affect their impression of the ride? Or that knowing the rider and rider's trainer personally (socializing with) doesn't affect their scoring?

As for judge shopping, I do it all the time, but not for the reasons mentioned. There are judges whose opinions I don't value, so I will scratch if I get that judge. And, believe it or not, I will not ride under a santa judges because I do not want an inflated score; but a brutally honest one, so I select tough judges.

Comment

Originally posted by ToN Farm View Post
                                There may already be a rule like this in place, but a pair winning the Regionals at a given level should not be permitted to win Regionals again at the same level. I think our Region 1 BLM finals has a similar rule.
                                USDF Regionals have the same rule as well although you can be reserve champ ad infinitum. However, I don't think HOY/Year End awards have the same criteria.

Comment

I have competed at multiple regionals where it was pathetically obvious to all competitors that the judge was manipulating the scores to select the 'chosen' ones. I remember the one regional where we were treated to the good judge /bad judge during the finals. Judge 1 was very fair in the scores and comments. The competitors were in agreement...at least the ones I spoke with' that judge 1 was doing a good job. Judge 2 was handing out score that were insulting...and several percentage points BELOW judge 1. Until...the chosen 2 riders suddenly achieved miraculous scores from judge 2 ...far and above what judge 1 gave them. Now, I have know idea who the miracle riders were...but they won the championship. Good for them I guess?

My horse was not that good and I had no illusions about placing, much less winning the regionals, but I wanted to go and have a good time. What should have been a fun weekend ......well...I don't spend my time and money on that anymore. It's hard to take any shows seriously in terms of scores and judging.

Comment

There is one judge who makes the same comment about my horse every. single. time. No other judge, in the myriad of shows I have been in, Training through 2nd, makes that comment. But she does. I won't show uner her anymore-why bother?

Comment

wow, who even has the time to worry about such things? I just sign up for the shows I am able to attend and honestly never even look at whois judging. I don't usually know who is judging me untill after the class and I look at the test sheet. LOL
                                      Humans don’t mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. –Sebastian Junger

Comment

Haven't we all seen riders who scored let's say a 61.57 % on a First Level test, then ridden a significantly better First Level test later in the same day, same horse, same rider, same judge...and scored either lower than 61.57%, or maybe, if the judge was feeling particularly kind, maybe a 62 and change. The two tests were miles apart in every way....but no, you weren't great this morning so I'm not giving you the time of day this afternoon.

THAT sort of judge, I don't want to cross the street to show in front of. Judges that install a prejudice against a horse and rider pair are not judges I want to 'support'.

Comment

Working...
                                        X