• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Calling all US AA's................

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rest assured i am reading all these posts. i am a bit tenacious, i don't give up on a horse or a rider or the AA initiative. i truly believe there is undiscovered talent within the AA ranks, we all deserve a chance to pursue our dreams but we also need to contemplate what are the top 10 items the AA's want. once the laundry list is identified, then off to "usdf court" to plead our case. :-) every usdf member must have access to every clinician, every symposium, every championship, every program. the gmo's are not all wealthy. :-) every gmo either steps up to help their membership in a big or small way. a gmo is as good as its leadership.
    Bethe Mounce
    Head Trainer, AmeriCan Romance Equestrian
    https://www.facebook.com/AmericanRomanceEquestrian
    Brentwood CA

Comment

• personally, i think one of the most important things a rider can do is watch good, correct riding. So i just don't get why the USDF (which is funded by ALL members) limits education to certain folks..... especially education that will show correct riding.

as a life long Ammie the hardest thing has been finding good trainers to work with. We have a dearth of educated trainers that know how to bring along average horses....

Comment

• Originally posted by js View Post
        Of the 37,000 USDF members how many belong to the 117 active GMO's? That's a lot of people and not many GMO's so I'm guessing a fair few do not belong to GMO's? Is that due to lack of access to one locally or other reason? I ask because we always get the response to get involved and volunteer with your GMO, so I'm curious at the number of members v/s GMO's.
        That is an interesting question! I know some of those GMOs are quite large - I belong to CDS, and our membership is somewhere between 3500 and 4000 people. There are a few others that are big too - but many GMOs are under 500 people. Our GMO is so big, it is divided into much smaller "chapters" which range from 20 people up to several hundred people, and make it easier to address area needs. Most chapters are based on regions within our very large state.

Putting on a UDSF educational program is a huge undertaking, and a smaller GMO may struggle to pull it off. And it can be a huge financial risk - if you can't attract the auditors and participants, you can lose money. OTOH - there are grants available - our GMO has educational grants, and USDF has grants. Unfortunately, this is another area where the money isn't always fairly distributed - applying for these grants requires knowledge and manpower! So it is often the same groups that are awarded the money over and over because they have the process down. So, again, it falls on the GMO membership - I'm not complaining about this, but figure it is a good time to get the word out - there is money out there if your smaller GMOs are worried about financial risk!

Back to original question - what if USDF offered a grant every year to each GMO for educational events - something with a very easy application that was emailed out to the GMO Board each January - hey guys, this is available, let us know your plans, and we'll "yay" or "nay" ahead of time so you know if you have the $. Award money based on size of GMO - with a larger $/person to the smaller GMOs (perhaps $4,000 for a GMO under 250 people, $7,000 for a GMO up to 1000 people, and $10,000 for the bigger GMOs)? Those amounts are totally arbitrary of course,but it is enough to pay for a decent educational event, and two or three events at a larger GMO. Just a thought.... And maybe UDSF could require or recommend it tie in to one of their educational offerings (such as L Program sessions A - D, Instructor Cert, DSHB program, etc).

Comment

• Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
          That is an interesting question! I know some of those GMOs are quite large - I belong to CDS, and our membership is somewhere between 3500 and 4000 people. There are a few others that are big too - but many GMOs are under 500 people. Our GMO is so big, it is divided into much smaller "chapters" which range from 20 people up to several hundred people, and make it easier to address area needs. Most chapters are based on regions within our very large state.
          That info is on the USDF website - it was really weird. Region 1 has 15 GMO's each has around 100 members (with one large group of 1000), Region 2's 15 GMO's had around 200 members, region 3 - 300, region 4 - 400 region 5 500......held true up to region 9 where the GMO's had around 900. many regions had 1 or two large GMO's with around 1000 members (CDS is listed as 700 - of course it is in region 7)

Sorry I'm a number pattern geek

http://www.usdf.org/clubs/list.asp?r...9&Typepass=GMO

Comment

• Originally posted by ToN Farm View Post
            First, are we sure USDF is losing AA membership? Seriously, I really do not know. If they are losing AA membership, is it mostly for the same reason, or are there a variety of reasons? I wrote earlier that I am not renewing. My reason is I'm really not planning on showing anymore. It's not because of show fees; it's because of the cost of a nice horse and training. USDF can't help with that. Show fees are a drop in the bucket compared to the price of a good horse and training, not to mention all the upkeep involved with owning a sporthorse.
            Bingo. I find it interesting that people complain about the fees or say that it's the couple hundred bucks paying for membership that is the problem. In this sport? I don't even notice $50 anymore, considering it costs thousands and thousands just to have a horse at all, never-mind a "show horse".

I have actually gotten memberships on and off for the USEF/USDF/CDS magazines (which IMO are great). And CDS has 20% off events at a local tack shop.
            On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Back to original question - what if USDF offered a grant every year to each GMO for educational events - something with a very easy application that was emailed out to the GMO Board each January - hey guys, this is available, let us know your plans, and we'll "yay" or "nay" ahead of time so you know if you have the $. ...).
              And THIS is why it is good to know your resources.

The Dressage Foundation DOES offer grants for educational events.

Comment

• for folks who live with a really tight budget - every $$ really counts. and if i have to choose between training and showing i will pick training every single time.

Comment

• Originally posted by dudleyc View Post
                  That info is on the USDF website - it was really weird. Region 1 has 15 GMO's each has around 100 members (with one large group of 1000), Region 2's 15 GMO's had around 200 members, region 3 - 300, region 4 - 400 region 5 500......held true up to region 9 where the GMO's had around 900. many regions had 1 or two large GMO's with around 1000 members (CDS is listed as 700 - of course it is in region 7)

Sorry I'm a number pattern geek

http://www.usdf.org/clubs/list.asp?r...9&Typepass=GMO
                  We've laughed about UDSF's numbers before, they are so inaccurate. I can't speak for other GMOs, but CDS's membership roster lists about 3,000 members, and it isn't complete because it doesn't list the people who join after their roster print deadline (I think it is Dec 31) - so all the people who don't bother joining until it is time to show are excluded from the roster. Based on their budget line for payments to USDF for GMO membership, they were at about 3,500 last year.

According to USDF's numbers, Hawaii has way more members then California - no offense to HI, but they don't have that many people and horses!

Anyway, a bit of a side note, but why list numbers when they are not even close to reality? I'm a numbers person too, and bad numbers make me grumpy

Comment

• Originally posted by mjhco View Post
                    And THIS is why it is good to know your resources.

The Dressage Foundation DOES offer grants for educational events.
                    Yes, I do know this, but my point - why not offer one "easy grant" every year - don't make the GMOs go searching for it and file endless amounts of paperwork - but email them at the beginning of the year and offer up one "easy grant" to help kickstart the education? Set some basic requirements, some very simple paperwork - what we call a "Block Grant" in the public sector, meaning it is not as restrictive, not as much red tape, and it has one goal - in this case, member education.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbm View Post
                      for folks who live with a really tight budget - every $$ really counts. and if i have to choose between training and showing i will pick training every single time.
                      Seriously, if someone has such a tight budget that $300 over the course of a year is make or break it, they need to seriously re-consider their chosen sport. They certainly cannot claim they would be out showing if it wasn't for those fees.

Comment

We've laughed about UDSF's numbers before, they are so inaccurate. I can't speak for other GMOs, but CDS's membership roster lists about 3,000 members, and it isn't complete because it doesn't list the people who join after their roster print deadline (I think it is Dec 31) - so all the people who don't bother joining until it is time to show are excluded from the roster. Based on their budget line for payments to USDF for GMO membership, they were at about 3,500 last year.

According to USDF's numbers, Hawaii has way more members then California - no offense to HI, but they don't have that many people and horses!

Anyway, a bit of a side note, but why list numbers when they are not even close to reality? I'm a numbers person too, and bad numbers make me grumpy
                        I remember, the chair of my GMO (NEDA) being on dressage radio and stating that NEDA was the second larget after CDS. But according to USDF, NEDA has only 805 members - making it the 2nd smallest in region 8 (14 GMO's ranges from 804-840).....(Its really odd that the numbers of the GMOs members reflect the region number.) But they must do something to prevent a person from being counted twice - for instance, I used to be a member of CVDA and NEDA.

Comment

• My GMO averages 100-150 members. Please realize that your GMO is not magical, it cannot create facilities, it cannot clone willing volunteers, it cannot be everything to everyone.

What have you done lately to support your GMO? And what does your GMO do that you just love...I sense a spin off brewing

Comment

• Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
                            Seriously, if someone has such a tight budget that $300 over the course of a year is make or break it, they need to seriously re-consider their chosen sport. They certainly cannot claim they would be out showing if it wasn't for those fees.

how about putting it this way - i choose to spend my available extra funds on education. at this time there is no benefit for me to spend the needed $$ to show rated.

in the future that might change. but right now it all goes to training/education.

Comment

• Originally posted by katarine View Post
                              My GMO averages 100-150 members. Please realize that your GMO is not magical, it cannot create facilities, it cannot clone willing volunteers, it cannot be everything to everyone.

What have you done lately to support your GMO? And what does your GMO do that you just love...I sense a spin off brewing
                              Are you in region 1? (As according to the USDF infor the only GMOs with members in the 100's are in region 1 - and this is, obviously, messing with my head)

Comment

• No, Region 3.

You have to remember the 2013 (initial) rosters were mailed in to USDF in Nov/Dec and that is what gets put on the USDF site.

Loads of people don't bother to renew until show season is looming, so Feb/March. By mid-2012 we had about 120 members. USDF updates the roster data when?...I'm not sure.

Comment

• Georgia DCTA has 300 recorded members on their initial roster, Deep South (Ocala), 151

Comment

• Questions about the organization are usually posted in an annual report. I have been looking to see the current tally of USDF membership. Nowhere to be found so my numbers are probably very dated.

Things like growth (or not) of membership, financials, accomplishments of the organization, plans for the coming year, CEO/President's message are items discussed in an annual report.

Anyone know where or if it exists?
                                    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
                                    Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

• Originally posted by mbm View Post
                                      how about putting it this way - i choose to spend my available extra funds on education. at this time there is no benefit for me to spend the needed $$ to show rated.

in the future that might change. but right now it all goes to training/education.
                                      My comment was not aimed at you in particular fwiw, but mainly to people in general that complain about the fees. I just mean, if a few hundred bucks a year to support the several organizations that make all the programs possible is what is standing in your way of showing, it might be time to re-evaluate your budget and riding goals.

As you have pointed out, there are schooling shows. And if one is in an area where dressage is expensive, maybe try another discipline? I actually started gravitating towards dressage because it's so much cheaper around here than hunters, which is what I would rather be doing. Although I always rode with trainers with strong dressage backgrounds. Around here the H/J barns are expensive and very exclusive, with show requirements that would cost tens of thousands in themselves!

I just wish there was a true AA class for dressage, like in the hunters. For example, a AA hunter goes very differently than the hunters in the professional classes - a little less forward, a flatter jump, their general way of going and ridability is judged differently than the professional classes. At an average A show a nice horse can pin well in the AA class. Where a pro class needs a more forward round, more brilliance, a spectacular jump, etc..

Comment

• Seriously, if someone has such a tight budget that $300 over the course of a year is make or break it, they need to seriously re-consider their chosen sport. They certainly cannot claim they would be out showing if it wasn't for those fees.

I'm afraid I'm with mbm right down the line. Also I am one where $300 can be a make it or break it. I CAN claim it to be a contributing reason for not showing which was particularly true when I had two kids in diapers. I did choose to show at the schooling shows only due to the costs and later when I got a bonus, was able to show at a recognized show at the end of the year....paid as a non-member because for one show that was more feasible. It wasn't planned. I got lucky; but, there are plenty of us who are serious about dressage that watch our pennies right down the line. I owe on my house only, nothing else. My husband is very, very careful with our debt; so, I literally have to have the cash in hand in order to show. That is the way we choose to manage our money...so keep insisting what "we" can or cannot claim.... just because you're choices and situation is different it doesn't make it true for everyone.

Your comments are very exclusionary (and that's putting it nicely). When I was younger and starting out in dressage (switched from hunters, recently out of school and an internship) I use to get told all the time that people with kids didn't "do" dressage. People who didn't have "x" should look elsewhere, yada, yada, yada.....Didn't "listen" to them then and I'm sure not going to be told to assume my appointed position now either...I'll continue to stay in this sport/discipline/whatever and manage my finances as best I can, picking and choosing where I will spend my money....I will also be very upfront when the question is posed as to why I make the choices I do.
                                        Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

• Sorry exvet, I don't understand having multiple horses then claiming just $300 is what is keeping someone from showing at rated USEF/USDF shows! Should the memberships be free? If they were just $100 cheaper then miraculously someone could afford to show? If an entry for a class was $30 instead of $50 would that make it affordable...given the cost of having horses?

Most people I know don't think twice about spending hundreds a year on coffee. When someone who owns multiple horses claims a few hundred in club memberships is the make or break it cost of HORSE SHOWING, I call BS.

Comment

Working...
                                          X