• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Trends in Dressage: Anyone seen the article?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Well, if you can get judged by an "R" or even "S" judge for around 1/5 the cost of doing a recognized show and don't care about going to regionals, schooling shows are a great way to go. Not your cup of tea, but it works for many, many people.
    If you can, that's great. But around here we have 3 L judges who judge every single schooling show. All of whom I know well and 2 of whom I used to train with... So, the reason I show recognized is to get a broader perspective on what I'm doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbm View Post
      heck, they could have TD available on chat on an iphone ap. that way the TD could be available for a wide swath of shows at the same time.

i also agree that having a paramedic on site is a bit much.....
      Most shows do not have a Paramedic on standby-costs would go up if they did. They staff with an EMT. And the EMT sleeps all day because he/she just came off a 24 hour shift...

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
        Um. Wow. I've ridden dressage seriously. Shown recognized as well. I've also ridden Hunters seriously. 40+ years for both. Yes, Dressage is hard. But so is Hunters. Nothing like a first level frame on a soft rein - the ultimate of self carriage. And to ride a very good western horse well? That's a lot of work as well - just different. I'm dabbling in 5-gaited saddlebreds right now. And I'm using the dressage techniques I know from bending to driving with my seat (the seat is far more similiar than you might think.) And to ride that well is hard as well - far harder than I ever would have guessed.

Point is? To ride any discipline WELL is hard, takes work, good training and incredible decidcation. To lambast another discipline because you think it's easier and dressage is harder is exactly why dressage is losing numbers. And why I don't show dressage anymore.

The most amazing thing, was when I talk to people in other disciplines, I'm told, and I quote, 'people who can't do anything else ride dressage.

Perception is everything when building a sport.
        first of all i wasn't talking about anything other than western dressage.... second of all - i agree there are a LOT of folks that "do" dressage because they are too afraid to do anything else.

however, that doesn't change the fact that riding and training dressage correctly and well is hard.... and the most important thing is a very good trainer - which most folks lack.

and those folks that feel like they cant get anywhere in dressage will probably vear off to western dressage which appears to be a very different beast.

Comment

• Indeed, WD is very different; instead of walk trot canter it's walk jog lope. Instead of a dressage saddle it's any kind of saddle as long as it's western fenders. Instead of dressage test there are dressage tests. Instead of horses there are horses. Instead of people interested in learning the art of good riding there are people who are merely interested in the art of good riding.

Paula
          He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

• Originally posted by mbm View Post
            heck, they could have TD available on chat on an iphone ap. that way the TD could be available for a wide swath of shows at the same time.
            That's a good idea, but we don't have reliable cell service where our shows are held (you have to be very lucky to get a signal). And one facility doesn't even have a land line.

Comment

• Originally posted by yaya View Post
              That's a good idea, but we don't have reliable cell service where our shows are held (you have to be very lucky to get a signal). And one facility doesn't even have a land line.
              I think, though, that we can figure out a way to adapt to all the multiple possibilities. Some shows have minimal phone service and are 45 minutes from emergency services. Some shows are within Los Angeles city limits. Some show grounds are next door to the firehouse. If we can walk back to our service goal, maybe we can find smarter and less expensive ways to meet it.
              If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
                Point is? To ride any discipline WELL is hard, takes work, good training and incredible decidcation. To lambast another discipline because you think it's easier and dressage is harder is exactly why dressage is losing numbers. And why I don't show dressage anymore. .....
                Funny in a way. I guess it's human nature to think whatever chosen event we want to do is the "hardest"- I was watching reining the other night on HRTV and they were interviewing a guy who was at the top and he said "reining is like dressage except with a higher degree of difficulty"....

Comment

• Originally posted by Boomer View Post
                  Funny in a way. I guess it's human nature to think whatever chosen event we want to do is the "hardest"- I was watching reining the other night on HRTV and they were interviewing a guy who was at the top and he said "reining is like dressage except with a higher degree of difficulty"....
                  That is pretty funny.

I don't consider my experience all that wide-ranging, but I've ridden and competed in three disciplines and dabbled in one or two more. And I've found that dressage requires the most concentrated effort to get it right. By far.

Comment

• Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                    Indeed, WD is very different; instead of walk trot canter it's walk jog lope. Instead of a dressage saddle it's any kind of saddle as long as it's western fenders. Instead of dressage test there are dressage tests. Instead of horses there are horses. Instead of people interested in learning the art of good riding there are people who are merely interested in the art of good riding.

Paula
                    i am not going to go down this road further than to say:

riding a horse well forward/active/on the aids/ in the classical german style is *hard work* both for the horse and the rider. it is poetry in motion when done well but doing it well is challenging - in a very different way that jogging and loping around.

dressage will lose those folks who have a hard time with the amount of forward activity needed to do well - and that is fine. But to say that western "dressage" is the same as real dressage is silly - it is not. its like saying dressage is just like jumping except we dont jump

oh and fwiw, in my over 40 years of riding experience i have done western/4H/backyard f'n around/bareback/gymkhana/eventing/and now dressage (for the last 15 years i guess) dressage is *the* hardest of anything i have ever done. it is very difficult to do well. (and by well i mean to train in a manner that produces harmony and a lovely ride for the horse and rider etc)

Comment

• Originally posted by Boomer View Post
                      LOL. Exactly. Everybody is convinced that what they do is far harder, and far more complex than any other discipline.

Some disciplines, however, keep that to themselves, and don't shove the feeling that they are 'superior' into everybody else's face. Again, in my own personal opinion, this is why dressage is losing numbers. Lack of tact, LOL.
                      The truth is always in the middle.

Comment

• Its ridiculous to make blanket statements. So much depends on the horse, your experience, hell even your physical build! I lost 25lbs and my dressage seat improved immensely.

One of the hardest things I have ever tried to do on a horse was pilot a huge moving, back cracking horse around a 3' hunter course! Riding a naturally forward, naturally round and balanced horse with easy to sit gaits around a dressage court is easy.
                        On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

• ANY discipline at the lower levels is relatively easy - that is why they are LOWER levels. You can dabble in any discipline and think it is fun and easier then dressage - but I guarantee the people who come dabble at Training/First level dressage are thinking how easy it is too.

I do agree, dressage is hard - once you have to start working in collection it is hard for the rider, hard for the horse - but I also guarantee that an advanced reining pattern is hard (as is the training to get there), and navigating and surviving an advanced cross country course is damn hard too! Jumping a 3 foot course may be no-big-deal, but try a meter 6 and come back and tell me it is so easy

Sorry, while I agree our discipline is hard, I don't think we have cornered the market on hardest! Personally, I think advanced 3 day has everyone beat, and combined driving is probably close behind

Comment

• Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
                            ANY discipline at the lower levels is relatively easy - that is why they are LOWER levels. You can dabble in any discipline and think it is fun and easier then dressage - but I guarantee the people who come dabble at Training/First level dressage are thinking how easy it is too.

I do agree, dressage is hard - once you have to start working in collection it is hard for the rider, hard for the horse - but I also guarantee that an advanced reining pattern is hard (as is the training to get there), and navigating and surviving an advanced cross country course is damn hard too! Jumping a 3 foot course may be no-big-deal, but try a meter 6 and come back and tell me it is so easy

Sorry, while I agree our discipline is hard, I don't think we have cornered the market on hardest! Personally, I think advanced 3 day has everyone beat, and combined driving is probably close behind
                            This! Middle to upper level 3-day completely intimidates me. I'd never have the guts. Not only do you have to be good at dressage, but then both you and your horse have to be brave enough for Cross Country and accurate enough for show jumping. I can't imagine having the discipline (and fitness and skill) to do just one of those WELL, much less the concentration for all three. Then, the sheer amount of horse.

An upper level dressage horse can be like sitting on C4, but add to it something fit enough for cross country? Geez. They have my absolute respect.
                            The truth is always in the middle.

Comment

• Indeed, if we're going to have a weeing contest I'd say massive respect to upper level 3-day eventer gods.

Paula

Comment

• Originally posted by exvet View Post
                                I've never understood why someone would go to all the trouble to prepare the horse, trailer the horse, get dressed up (even if it's just a clean pair of breeches and a polo shirt), braid, whatever to go to a schooling show.

LOL Oh Dune....I think you know how competitive I am and the amount I show (as well as the number of horses). As many have pointed out it's a sheer luxury, all of it. I get to fewer recognized shows each year now both due to the economy and because I have less help in the way of grunt work. It's really hard to take even two horses on your own let alone 4. All these years I have always supported the schooling shows as well as the recognized shows. I do go to all the trouble of getting my backside to a schooling show because while the scores don't count I do not have a full-size dressage arena at home. Simple fact. When you have a 13 hand pony, amongst others, that loooong diagonal does make a difference and it's worth practicin' even if it's just to build up wind <wink>. I do haul out to lessons but a schooling show gives me the opportunity to get the entire show string out to a full size arena, sometimes with a rated judge to SCHOOL. It's the same expense actually for me to do so as it would be if I hauled out to a local facility to use their dressage arena because of the facility use fees per horse. I also back/start all of mine and I find the schooling shows a bit less daunting to take an unpredictable entity to. For all of mine, if I'm working through an issue that seems to be brought on by the show atmosphere (stallion scared to death of other horses unless he's suppose to breed them), well a schooling show is a less expensive to work through those bugaboos. So while you choose not to, and I respect that, some of us try to juggle "it all" in every aspect of our lives. I will continue to school and practice at the schooling shows and cut way back on recognized shows this coming year. In fact I'm pretty sure I will only get to two more recognized shows this year for a total of 3 (compared to 5 in 2012, 6 in 2011, 8 in 2010 and to really make the point, 12 each in 2002 - 2006 ).
                                HA! Exvet, you're too funny...I actually thought of you after posting! You are one of the few who seem to make the most of the schooling show experience and you go to the recognized shows as well. From what you've shared, your scores are comparable at both types of shows as well, so you are taking something away from the schooling show experience. YOU are not the norm, however, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. <smile/wink> I think that if you're an ammy with a lifetime horse, or maybe one that is limited/older, you just want to have some fun, then schooling shows are fine. But if that horse is going to be for sale at some point, or you want to see how your horse really stacks up, the recognized shows are the way to go. I think maybe a combination of the two may indeed be the ticket for a lot of folks, I know I've found my little method and it works for me, but each to his/her own.....

Comment

• pssst..... i didnt say dressage was the hardest - i said doing it *well* is hard work... and that you cant compare jogging and loping around (aka western dressage) with riding well at dressage.

and fwiw, i used to think dressage was easy - but that was before i actually started really getting how much i didn't know.
                                  Last edited by mbm; Dec. 14, 2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• I understood and others did to. We still disagree -just about any of these disciplines done well is hard work. Dressage doesn't have a corner on it. And yes, you can compare it to other sports.

Jeez.
                                    Paula

Comment

• Talk to a TB jockey and they will tell you what they do in the "hardest" until you talk to a steeplechase rider........
                                      Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

• YOU are not the norm, however, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. <smile/wink> I think that if you're an ammy with a lifetime horse, or maybe one that is limited/older, you just want to have some fun, then schooling shows are fine. But if that horse is going to be for sale at some point, or you want to see how your horse really stacks up, the recognized shows are the way to go.

AH Shucks! Well I'm sure it comes as no surprise to you that I was often referred to as Abby in school for Abby normal <wink> I do see your point and don't really argue with it. It's just that I also see the "other" side and with the second kid going to college, well, schooling shows continue to look more and more appealing. They don't pay us Humane Society vets all that much and with 9 horses to feed, the announcement we just got in our GMO newsletter that entry fees are going up yet again definitely has curbed my taste for recognized shows.
                                        Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

• Originally posted by exvet View Post
                                          YOU are not the norm, however, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. <smile/wink> I think that if you're an ammy with a lifetime horse, or maybe one that is limited/older, you just want to have some fun, then schooling shows are fine. But if that horse is going to be for sale at some point, or you want to see how your horse really stacks up, the recognized shows are the way to go.

AH Shucks! Well I'm sure it comes as no surprise to you that I was often referred to as Abby in school for Abby normal <wink> I do see your point and don't really argue with it. It's just that I also see the "other" side and with the second kid going to college, well, schooling shows continue to look more and more appealing. They don't pay us Humane Society vets all that much and with 9 horses to feed, the announcement we just got in our GMO newsletter that entry fees are going up yet again definitely has curbed my taste for recognized shows.
                                          And it is not JUST about the cost of the recognized shows themselves. If most people are realistic about what they are (well meaning, trying really hard, but not very good riders) riding crappy horses not suited for dressage, who can't afford instruction that is very good very often, then why spend all that money showing to get scores in the low to mid 50s? When you do that, aren't you really just underwriting the shows for people with more money who have more time to ride, better instruction, and fancier horses? People who, for the most part, look down on you because you don't really belong there? To pay all that just to be humiliated and feel lousy about yourself, your horse, and your circumstances?

Looked at that way---aren't the higher costs really too high a price to pay for so much "fun"?
                                          Last edited by Eclectic Horseman; Dec. 15, 2012, 09:40 AM. Reason: grammar
                                          "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Working...
                                          X