• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone doing Jane Savoie's "Valium" exercise? Tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone doing Jane Savoie's "Valium" exercise? Tips?

So I have tried Jane Savoie's "Valium" exercise (also referred to as "+7, +1") to supple my horse at the poll/ neck on our last two rides. He's definitely not getting it and I feel like I am missing something too. I am making sure to hold my outside rein, but my horse thinks I am asking for a small circle with the inside rein instead of just bending his neck 7 inches.

The video from last week didn't really show the riders positions as well as I would have liked. Are any of you doing this exercise and do you have any tips? What inside rein aid are you using to get the +7 bend?

I appreciate it!

I suspect that you are expecting the rein to do the work, rather than your legs.--Now that's work>
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

How subtle is your inside hand? It should be like just turning a key. That's how I learned it watching a clinic of hers.
      A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

I was there as a demo rider during that course, but that was earlier in the sessions, so I'd been watching the riders doing it, but had missed the lecture that went with it.

Now that I've had the lecture I'm playing with it and it is helping some of them.

The above poster had the right description of "turn the key", so think of rotating your wrist, thumb to the outside, not pulling. That is the key rein aid. But, you definitely need to think of your legs as well.

Jane actually posts here, so she might see the question and clarify more.

I have her Dressage 101 book and it is very clear. I think it would be worth the minimal investment to buy it.

Comment

You might be bending the neck at the withers by pulling back/making a fist? I think what you are talking about is flexing inside (?) for which you need to pulse the aids (use the turning the thumb over) not holdddddd. And the horse cannot be too low or closed. But the horse needs to be up/open/active (from the (inside) leg). If the horse is turning onto a circle, then where is the inside leg? And where is the outside elbow (should be above your hip/hanging vertically).
          I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
            You might be bending the neck at the withers by pulling back/making a fist? I think what you are talking about is flexing inside (?) for which you need to pulse the aids (use the turning the thumb over) not holdddddd. And the horse cannot be too low or closed. But the horse needs to be up/open/active (from the (inside) leg). If the horse is turning onto a circle, then where is the inside leg? And where is the outside elbow (should be above your hip/hanging vertically).

FWIW, I think "Click, click, click"
            I wasn't always a Smurf
            Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
            "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
            The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

(Hand or leg??? Hopefully not both at the time.)

Perhaps the OP can state what the 'valium' exercise is (supposed to be)??? RIding 'in position' or shoulder fore or ???
              I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Here's the video of the exercise
                http://savoiedressageacademy.com/program/suppling/
                Last edited by carolprudm; Dec. 7, 2012, 02:05 PM.
                I wasn't always a Smurf
                Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                  FWIW, I think "Click, click, click"
                  Thanks Carolprudm. Thinking "click, click, click" really helped! We did much better tonight with this exercise. Maybe more of a +5 than a +7 but we'll keep working on it. My greenie seemed to get the idea better on the rail than on a circle too.

Comment

Make sure your OS rein is not moving. Don't forget after the supple to give give give and give the exercise an opportunity to work. Make sure you're not taking the Inside hand back. If your horse is falling in on the circle try doing it at the halt at first until he gets the idea. You can also do it from the ground.

Comment

After seeing this and the last thread about this exercise, I decided to give it a try on my horse today and thought I'd share the results.

I didn't watch the video, but about...gosh, 6 years ago, I was a rider in a Jane Savoie clinic where I rode this exercise. My horse doesn't necessarily need this type of exercise to relax or stretch forward and down, so I wanted to see what I'd get.

Well, I got a super round, through, and swinging back pretty quick.

I started at the walk, incorporating both regular bend and counter bend. He is used to counter bending/flexion but if your horse isn't, you may not want to add that part yet. For my horse, it really really helps him unlock his shoulders. I did the exercise at the walk in both directions. He got very round and soft. At one point, I felt his back really come up and his body sort of 'pop' into alignment. I took advantage of that and asked for the trot.

He was a bit resistant at first in the trot because of the quickness you are supposed to do these bends, but once he understood what I was asking, he went along with it. His initial response to the right was to try to curl and hang on me when I suppled him, and to his stiffer left side it was to raise his head and drop the contact. I just continued the exercise until he was doing it easily each direction.

Keeping the outside rein controlling his shoulder was super important. If I lost the shoulder, I lost the back.

I did this all on circles. 10-15 meters at the walk, 20 meters at the trot. He really brought his back up and was super round without being BTV. He was connected back to front - when I went across the diagonal I let him go into one of the nicest lengthenings he's ever done. His walk was super swingy, his back felt great.

He did such good trot work that I didn't bother with the canter, but I'll try it another day. This was a nice reminder of a very useful exercise.

Comment

Thank you for posting this link. Riding in a clinic with Jane is on my bucket list. She has a way of explaining things that I "get-it".
                        Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

The key to a suppling/flexing exercise is to wait for the horse to relax and give before releasing.

In that respect, I find the instruction in the video presented here to be lacking and, for an inexperienced rider, possibly very confusing. If the horse does not soften and give to the hand, you will end up with a pointless yanking exercise.

I use suppling quite often, especially in my warm-up, but not in a rapid-fire approach. I guess I would have to see it in the context of the entire program to understand why she teaches it that way (and hopefully she first teaches how to properly perform a flexion exercise).

Sometimes if you take a little bit of this and a little bit of that from various trainers you can end up with a confusing mish-mash of ideas. If you are going to follow someone's program, follow it fully and consistently until you have a very solid foundation.

Comment

Not to add to anyone's "mish-mash," but here is short explanation on suppling the neck and the importance of the horse giving (from someone I have ridden with quite a bit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpzuIvHcCro

Comment

Larkspur - That video clip is from the recent 4 day workshop "The Art of Teaching", and this particular workshop was targeted to instructors, with each session having a targeted topic on how to teach, common errors, and tons of lecture. The riders were demonstrating.

I'm not exactly sure which day/session this was from, but there was a lot of correction to the riders to slow down the bending, there was no "rapid-fire" in this approach.

I will say that it was a super workshop with tons of theory, why you do what you do, when to do things, and the building blocks of what you do, "How to use your reins", "How to use your seat and legs", etc. This made it very different from a "lesson" that most clinics are for the rider.

I found it very educational and since the DVDs are finished, I now have all 24 DVDs to review, and I am using this rainy day to watch the portions that I did not see (I went as a demo rider for days 3 and 4, but saw parts of day 2).

It is a really thorough walk through the training scale, building progressively and I found that I was filling in lots of theory holes in my own knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
                                Larkspur - That video clip is from the recent 4 day workshop "The Art of Teaching", and this particular workshop was targeted to instructors, with each session having a targeted topic on how to teach, common errors, and tons of lecture. The riders were demonstrating.

I'm not exactly sure which day/session this was from, but there was a lot of correction to the riders to slow down the bending, there was no "rapid-fire" in this approach.
                                Hmm... I don't agree. I rode on the 2nd days and I recall, clearly, that I was not doing this exercise fast enough. Don't know if any of my rides made it onto the final videos. Will be interesting to see if my memory is correct!
                                "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

Isabeau - your entire rides are there. Day 3, DVD 3, Impulsion and straightness is you on Bert and on Day 4, you were either DVD 3 or 4.

Timing is, IMO, the hardest thing as a rider to get right. Sometimes, I am too slow, sometimes I am too fast, and it is really hard to be just right, and it is also sometimes very frustrating when I try a clinician and get different feedback, but I've found that with very rare exceptions, once I can get my injured pride back into its box, I am able to see where that clinician has a different focus and valid feedback.

I recently was able to get a slot with Linda Zang and she really nailed me on a lot of details that my regular instructor does not emphasize. While it isn't convenient to go ride with her every time she is near, I am going to add her as someone I ride with 2 or 3 times a year because she gives valid instruction and input.

I would actually like to try a regular lesson with Jane. It was hard being a demo rider as I didn't really get a feel for how a normal lesson would go with her.

Comment

"Quickly bend and immediately straight" is repeated several times. For those with questions, the video link pretty much explains them all.
                                    "Friend" me !

Comment

Originally posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
                                      Isabeau - your entire rides are there.

Oh goody.....

I would actually like to try a regular lesson with Jane. It was hard being a demo rider as I didn't really get a feel for how a normal lesson would go with her.
                                      Jane was VERY good about reminding observers to be grateful for the demo riders. Every day she reminded observers how hard it is to demo because you cannot show your horse at their best. I know I had people thanking me as I was leaving the ring, and that was great.

She also gave us an easy out for screwing something up. We could just say "oh, I did that on purpose." To which she would reply, something like, "Well that really sucked. Thanks for showing us that."
                                      "Friend" me !

Comment

I guess my point was more directed toward the inexperienced rider who watches the 17-minute segment that was posted here (which I watched twice) and then attempts to supple their horse in this manner, without an understanding of contact and the elasticity and the what's required for an effective neck flexion.

I know she uses demo riders and that this was not a traditional clinic, and I did not intend to disparage the program in any way. But I can guarantee you there are newbie dressage riders who will look at this video excerpt and go out and yank on their horse's mouth and not learn anything, and certainly not teach their horse anything.

A friend of mine has the Savoy DVD program but will not take lessons, and therefore will never get anywhere with her riding. That's not to say there's nothing to be learned from them and that they aren't valuable for any of you. I've watched some of her other videos and thought they were very good.

Comment

Working...
                                        X