• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Delfina Saddlery reviews? Anyone used the brand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delfina Saddlery reviews? Anyone used the brand?

I'm thinking of buying an anatomic leather dressage girth from them, but have never heard of the company before. Has anyone else used their products? What's the leather quality and construction like?

I bought the exact girth you are asking about a few months ago. I'm really happy with it. The leather was soft right out of the box. The stitching is nice and tight and I haven't seen any loose threads yet. The elastic has a decent amount of stretch in it, but not too much. Its padded more than the County Logic girth (have one of those, but 2 inches longer than my Delfina one). The only (minor) drawback is that it doesn't have keepers above the buckles, so theoretically the billets could slide around above the buckles. That hasn't been the case for me so I don't really mind not having the keepers. Even with that, I still prefer it over my County Logic girth!

FYI, there's been a few threads about the Delfina girth vs. the County Logic girth. Just do a search on County Logic girth and they should come up.
    My May boys: Beau , Neon, Criss

Comment

I've had a couple of browbands by them - can't comment on the girths, but the browbands are nice mid-quality (great for the price!).

Comment

• Original Poster

Did you buy it to help keep the saddle from sliding back? That's the problem I am trying to fix. I bought a neoprene anatomic girth by Ovation, but the quality was terrible and it was so flimsy the the "curve" pretty much pulled straight once you saddled up. I'm hoping leather will hold its shape better. Ah, the trials of riding a rotund Arab...

Comment

Originally posted by Nike13 View Post
          Did you buy it to help keep the saddle from sliding back? That's the problem I am trying to fix. I bought a neoprene anatomic girth by Ovation, but the quality was terrible and it was so flimsy the the "curve" pretty much pulled straight once you saddled up. I'm hoping leather will hold its shape better. Ah, the trials of riding a rotund Arab...
          No, I got it to keep my saddle from sliding forward. My 4 y.o. Trak gelding has a forward girth groove and the straight girths were pulling the saddle onto his shoulders. I'm not sure the anatomic girth would keep your saddle from sliding back. But I do know that the Delfina girth keeps its shape.
          My May boys: Beau , Neon, Criss

Comment

• Original Poster

I meant forward. Sorry...long day.

Comment

I have one, it does a pretty good job. I liked that it cost a lot less than the other brands but is still decent quality. I also have an extremely round arab with big shoulders and a forward girth groove, the saddle still slides a bit, but not as bad as it used to.

Comment

I have one. It's not as nice as the County or Prestige, but good for the money. I think it's identical to the Ovation anatomical girth.

I had a rather bad customer service experience with when buying fom the website, so I would personally recommend either buying from the eBay store or going with a different brand.

Here's the Ovation. When I say identical, these look so similar I think it might be the same girth sold under two different brands.
                http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...th/p/X1-02199/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad I'm not the first to go through this. I really want a magical girth solution, not a new saddle solution. I've had a few Ovation girths of various types, and have not been impressed with the buckle quality. My first one rusted within a month. I know it was only $40, but still. How do the Delfina buckles seem to hold up? I do a lot of trails and endurance, so it's going to see a lot of sweaty, muddy use.

Comment

You might want to spring for a Prestige or County. I've already seen some rust on mine, and it's on my husband's horse, who isn't being worked particularly hard.

I have a County for my wide barreled Arab. I use it on his endurance saddle and have a long one for his jumping saddle. They've made a big difference in stability. Those girths have been through all sorts of weather and muck (trails, fox hunting, XC, etc), and are still in excellent condition. Keep an eye on eBay - I got both of mine on there.

I actually like the Prestige better (have one for a different horse) but needed a 20" girth, and Prestige's smallest size is 24".

On a side note - I had my billets changed on my dressage saddle. A point billet lined the strap us with his forward girth groove, and I can ride with a "normal" girth. That might be another option for you.

Comment

• Original Poster

Good to know. I may go the point billet route on my jumping saddle, but my dressage saddle is a Wintec, and I doubt it would be possible. I just hate to spend the money on a County when I'm not even sure this will help. Ugh. Decisions....

Comment

I bought some of their padded reins and stirrup leathers. Both have been good quality. Not top of the mark like arc de triomphe, but very, very nice.

Comment

I just hate to spend the money on a County when I'm not even sure this will help.
                          Do you have a local County rep - ask to try out the girth
                          You might also call head office & see if they one they might send out as a demo, just make sure of shipping charges first.

Comment

Originally posted by Nike13 View Post
                            Good to know. I may go the point billet route on my jumping saddle, but my dressage saddle is a Wintec, and I doubt it would be possible. I just hate to spend the money on a County when I'm not even sure this will help. Ugh. Decisions....
                            My personal preference would be an Albion over a County any day. Just sayin'. I tried a bunch of County saddles with one of their fitters and neither my horse nor myself liked any of them. I was all ready to buy a new one and felt really let down. Albions have more custom fitting options, in my opinion...the main drawback being their only official warranty person is in New York. She does great fitting though...I have had her fit three Albion saddles for me, and she sends them home clean and usually with any minor repairs done free of charge. She also does repair/custom work on other saddles and tack, you may want to check her out at Dutchess Bridle and Saddlery.
                            America dialed 911. Donald Trump answered the phone.

Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

Comment

Does anyone have an opinion on Delfina's bridlework? I am looking for a custom bridle without paying the "custom price"...does not have to be uber-fancy but must be sturdy and a better alternative to my current "Frankenbridle".

Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

Comment

I have one of their bridles. I like it a lot but it does have some issues. I had to buy rubber keepers because the keepers on the bridle are too loose and slide down causing the extra leather to flop about and the twisted wire and diamonds came out of the browband after about 18mnths, it worked out ok though because I just replaced it with beads and I think it looks ever better now

Comment

Originally posted by svvdressage View Post
                                  I have one of their bridles. I like it a lot but it does have some issues. I had to buy rubber keepers because the keepers on the bridle are too loose and slide down causing the extra leather to flop about and the twisted wire and diamonds came out of the browband after about 18mnths, it worked out ok though because I just replaced it with beads and I think it looks ever better now
                                  Well, I'm old enough that "bling" is not my "thing", and I can add keepers easily enough, if there aren't any other serious problems...is the leather fairly sturdy and does it clean up nice? I need something I can use and clean up well enough to do smaller shows in without pulling out a special show bridle or something...

Comment

Working...
                                  X