• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Jumping in a dressage saddle: what's your opinion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping in a dressage saddle: what's your opinion?

Ok, I'm not sure whether to post this here or on the Hunter/Jumper forum, but I have a question. Riding with H/J trainer currently on her school horses. Her saddle doesn't fit me, so I'm planning to purchase my own. I asked her if I can get a dressage saddle and just shorten my stirrups a bit for jumping (and btw, when I say 'jumping', I'm talking crossrails and those x's with poles across, okay? ) Hey, I've seen videos of Ingrid Klimke doing it! She said, unequivocally, no. Her reasoning is you can't 2-point properly in one. I guess it's a moot point since for now I'm riding with her and that is her opinion. But I'm just curious, what do you guys think about this? Is jumping really really low stuff okay in a dressage saddle?
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Eh - I rather see someone doing dressage in a jumping saddle than vice versa.

It is near impossible to adjust your stirrups to a proper jumping length in most dressage saddles. Which results in stirrups that are too long - which results in a weak base of support - which results in not being able to free the horse's back / stay with the motion.

I, like your trainer would veto it, I can't stand jumping with stirrups that are too long, and a dressage saddle will be constantly battling you if you are trying to learn proper jumping position. You just can't have your knee in the correct place for jumping in one.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

It's awkward as all get out- your trainer is right that a correct two point is near impossible in a dressage saddle, and even over small jumps you want to be able to get off your horse's back. Part of the problem is that if you shorten your stirrups enough to be able to get in two point, your knee will be over the front of the saddle flap. I have on the odd occasion hopped over a log or something similar while out riding in my dressage saddle, but if you're actually trying to learn how to jump correctly, I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

I agree that a dressage saddle would work against you. I think you would probably be behind the motion a lot and pulling on your horse's mouth and/or slamming onto his back.
        I think a close contact saddle is less detrimental to dressage than a dressage saddle to jumping.
        Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

Don't! Or you'll look like this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_0775.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	9135381

And we did manage to get around this course almost clear, but it was strictly a one time thing. If I do any combined training next year, I am definitely borrowing an all purpose or forward seat from someone *and* practicing with it before the show.

Comment

It's super awkward. I'd consider it one step above jumping in a Western saddle - and I've done both.

Comment

yeah it can be harder on the horses back if you are not able to really get up and balance over them while jumping. Dressage saddles tend to run quite a bit deeper seated than most jumping saddles--making a proper two point difficult. That being said--I do it all the time but mainly stick to not much more than cross rails. I just borrow a jumping saddle if I want to really jump or really gallop over terrain.
              Redbud Ranch
              Check us out on FB

Comment

I have jumped the odd fence or two in my dressage saddle and it ain't easy and it ain't fun. A dressage saddle does not put you in a balanced position for jumping.

I can't imagine taking a lesson in a dressage saddle and trying to jump as you would be fighting your tack the whole time.

As others have said, better to get a cc saddle and do dressage in it. There are also some very nice A/P saddles (although some people would disagree with me on that) where you are balanced enough to jump small fences and yet you are still in a good position for flatting/dressage.

I have a very nice A/P saddle that I use for hacking that still lets me jump up to about 2'3" comfortably. Anything bigger than that and I'd prefer to be in my jumping saddle. My A/P is a lot like a Roosli but is an obscure Austrian brand or I'd recommend it to you.
                Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

There is different saddles for different purposes.

Of course you can jump in a dressage saddle but what would be the point? If it is just for fun, ok. If it's to take lessons and train a horse, not so much.
                  ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                  I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                  HORSING mobile training app

Comment

There are whole dressage tests called Prix Caprilli classes that incorporate small fences such as you describe into the test.

Such as for example:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWm14Qh3Mts

Note that nobody died.
                    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Yeah, not a good idea. I have always joked that I have not taught my horse (now 8) to jump, because he's quite good at getting himself into the air WITHOUT the help of any obstacles to leap over!! The other day, another boarder set up trotting poles and we had fun trotting over them. Then she set up a little "x." Hmmm....well, my dressage saddle is a Smith-Worthington Maxx, and it IS cut with a little more forward flap than most dressage saddles, so I figured, "what the heck!" and took him over the "x." Well, he jumped hesitantly - almost trotted over it. So I brought him back around and the second time he jumped enthusiastically...and took off bucking. I managed to stay on and get him under control, but it was precarious for a moment, in a way that it would not have been had I been in my Steubben AP saddle. I suppose if one has a totally reliable horse and can therefore be a little loose, jumping small, not have to worry about things much, it might be okay, but in general, I intend to use my jumping saddle if and when I ever jump Mr. Mark again!!

Comment

Really really small fences, very occasionally? Sure. Think 18" cross rails or logs on the ground.

But like others, I would vote for a jump saddle. You can do perfectly decent Training Level dressage in one.

If you really really cannot wrap your brain around a jump saddle, there's also a precious few all purpose models out there that suit nicely for jumping and flatting--but of course, that too would be at your trainer's discretion. An eventing trainer wouldn't bat an eyelash, but some hunter trainers might.
                        Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                          There are whole dressage tests called Prix Caprilli classes that incorporate small fences such as you describe into the test.

Such as for example:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWm14Qh3Mts

Note that nobody died.
                          I've ridden Prix Caprillis, and always did so my my AP or jumping saddle. They're mostly roughly TL or maybe 1st level, at least that I've seen, so it was the dressage saddle that wasn't necessary for those tests in my experience.

Comment

I did a prix capprilli (sp) in one. It was weird and harder than my jumping saddle but they were 2 ft fences no biggie. If your new to jumping and want to do it more I'd buy a cheap jumping saddle, you can find a no name for couple hundred bucks and get a good dressage saddle if your focus is more dressage.
                            Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

I'll pile on the bandwagon - get a jumping saddle if you'll routinely be doing fences (even low ones).

I've also done Prix Caprilli, and used my jumping saddle. I have popped over small fences (up to 2' or so) and logs on the trail in my dressage saddle. It's certainly doable, but not particularly comfortable or well balanced.

It's much easier and way more comfortable to do basic dressage in a jumping saddle than low jumps in a dressage saddle.

Have fun saddle shopping!

Comment

LOL, I used to do it regularly, successfully eventing training level. My saddle was a very minimal Passier and if you got forward on my old eventing pony you were dead meat. George Morris would have a heart attack though. I'll see if I can find some old pictures to scan.

I don't think i would like to try it on my County Connection much less some of the saddles with really big blocks
                                I wasn't always a Smurf
                                Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                                "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Signs I've been riding dressage for too long: I read this thread and my first thought was, "2' jumps are small???"

Comment

Yeah I'd go with a jump saddle. You can always lengthen your stirrups and be fine for dressagey stuff, whereas trying to jump in a dressage saddle is just plain awkward.
                                    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

• Original Poster

Would a CC saddle be preferable to a jumping saddle then?

Eta: if anyone has a recommendation, please let me know. Preferably a brand that goes up to 18.5" (I could probably fit a 18" but 18.5" would be even better.) And I'd like to spend no more than $1500 because I'll be getting a dressage saddle later on.
                                      I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Comment

A CC saddle is a close contact saddle; it's a jumping saddle.

Is 18 - 18'5 your dressage saddle size? Usually people get smaller size for their jumping saddle.
                                        ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                                        I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                                        HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Working...
                                        X