• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tips for heavy-handed horse.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for heavy-handed horse.

Hey All.
    I have a horse who I have been eventing. He was a dressage horse, showing first level and schooling second. We have been doing well eventing, but needed some work on SJ, so have been doing alot of it. Anyways, I knew that we needed to get back to the flat stuff, so yesterday I threw my dressage tack on. OMG! I have never had a horse so heavy on my hands before! Walk was ok, trot was worse, canter was soooo bad he was almost pulling me forward he was sooo heavy! I need some tips! I have a lesson tomorrow to try and get it figured out, and of course I have my ideas of how to fix it, but looking for some other advise to get him to lighten up in the bridle! Thanks!

People have always told me to not give the horse anything to lean on. So if they start to pull or lean, release. Do a squeeze and release type thing.

I'm sure some other more advanced riders can elaborate on this for me if that doesn't make sense.
    "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back & realize they were the big things"

Comment

Strange that you didn't notice his heaviness until you "threw your dressage tack on." Even when you are practicing your jumping, don't you warm up on the flat first? You must be dramatically changing your entire riding style once you climb into dressage tack. Bet you're not using enough leg and making him really step forward from behind. Bet you're relying on the jumps to rock him back when you're in jumping tack. Or do you jump him in such a severe bit that he's afraid to take contact, so when you put him in a dressage-legal bit, he drops down out of sheer relief?

Keep in mind that the whole point of dressage training is to have a well-rounded horse proficient in each discipline, and that can go from dressage to cross country to stadium, whether all in one day or in three. You are probably treating the disciplines as far too isolated. Dressage compliance and fitness affects your horse's responsiveness over the stadium course. You should be able to warm up by practicing dressage (and you need not be in "dressage tack" for that work), then seamlessly transition to jumping work all in one school.

Comment

Great post, Dixon!!
        You need to ride your horse INTO the contact, not the other way aorund. So, your legs and seat need to be the driving force, not your hands.
        Siegi Belz
        www.stalleuropa.com
        2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
        Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Comment

I think, (I hope) your lesson will be an an eye opener. I think you've just been charging forward to the fences, forgeting there is such a thing as a halfhalt that doesn't involve your hands.
          Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

• Original Poster

Or do you jump him in such a severe bit that he's afraid to take contact, so when you put him in a dressage-legal bit, he drops down out of sheer relief?
            Wow, that surprised me a bit. I do stadium, cross country and dressage in a loose ring french link snaffle. There is no difference between any of the bits I use. Of course I warm up on the flat first, but a dressage ride is different from a jump ride in my eyes. When you are cantering up to a jump, your horse isin't traveling the way he is in a dressage test.
            I do think that my habit is to try to pulll the horse into the bridle instead of push him into it. I know that becuase he was used at as a 'lessonn' horse from the time he was 4 to 6 that he has a relatively hard mouth.
            To each their own....

I think, (I hope) your lesson will be an an eye opener. I think you've just been charging forward to the fences, forgeting there is such a thing as a halfhalt that doesn't involve your hands.
            Oh, and thanks for the chuckle. My hardest challenge with this horse is getting him to go forward. He is seriously a slow horse. It has taken me some months to even get him going forward to a jump, let alone into the bit

Comment

mine is heavy on the forhand too, and a lazy git also

the best thing i've found for him is leg yield in and out on a circle in trot, counter canter and shoulder in in walk and trot on straight lines and on a circle

really gets his hinds underneath him and lightens his front end

its going to be a long haul though, not a quick fix. have to do the exercises every time i school and have to be happy with a gradual improvement. BUT we are getting better

oh first i had to make him believe he had to go off my leg without causing me to hyperventilate with exhaustion-again still working on that but much improvement already and much more needed

Comment

my pony is the same way. i think that when i ride dressage, i ask for a bit more round, a bit more deep and then... he gets a bit heavier! and i think the way i sit in my jump tack vs dressage tack is also a bit different.. not sure how or why it should make a difference, but it does. ???

i've been working on making him carry himself by dropping him. Letting him fall on his face so he realizes i wont' hold him up!! course if i pay attention and do my proper half-halts and proper leg aids... he doesn't end up getting to that bad place to begin with
                lots of transitions will help keep him paying attention too.

good luck. i've been OBSESSING over it for the last week...after he went careening left on a right handed circle at the canter when i dropped the right rein!! can you say "i hold with the right rein something fierce"!! so embarassing!! but anyways... now that i'm working on it, i find that i can keep him lighter by paying attention and doing my duty, but.. i know it's not going to be a magic cure instantaneously. i think some of it is strenght too.. he's not used to carrying himself that deep and round just yet so i'm his "training wheels" so to speak... but we're learning to go without them. him and me both

good luck!

Comment

There is a statement that jumping is only a dressage test with road bumps in it. In dressage you DO ride a horse activity (think riding to a base of a fence) to keep that energy! Why are you riding on the flat in a different manner? Keep the horse active and up (literally) to the hand. Horses dont hang, people do. Pulse aids/keep energy/check equitation and half halts.
                  I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Originally posted by BCEVENTER View Post
                    I do think that my habit is to try to pulll the horse into the bridle instead of push him into it. I know that becuase he was used at as a 'lessonn' horse from the time he was 4 to 6 that he has a relatively hard mouth.
                    To each their own....

My hardest challenge with this horse is getting him to go forward. He is seriously a slow horse. It has taken me some months to even get him going forward to a jump, let alone into the bit
                    Hard to make your horse go forward when you're pulling him backwards. No wonder he's heavy in your hands.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Alexie and FLeckenAwesome! I have been doing some leg yeilds and pushing him off my leg and doing the dropping thing so that he doesn't have anything to hang on to.

Horses dont hang, people do. Pulse aids/keep energy/check equitation and half halts.
                      This is what I was looking for, great reminder!

And Dixon, congradulations for proving yourself to be the steriotypical dressage queen.

Comment

If you knew me you'd realize how coffee-spitting funny that is!
                        Does correct spelling make one a dressage queen?

Comment

Transition, transitions, transitions

from gait to gait and within the gait.

walk-trot, working trot-lengthened trot, trot-halt, canter-trot.

Comment

Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
                            There is a statement that jumping is only a dressage test with road bumps in it. In dressage you DO ride a horse activity (think riding to a base of a fence) to keep that energy! Why are you riding on the flat in a different manner? Keep the horse active and up (literally) to the hand. Horses dont hang, people do. Pulse aids/keep energy/check equitation and half halts.
                            I second this Fave phrase of my jumping/dressage trainer.

Actually, at Rolex last spring Sally O'Connor said "Well, any horse can ran and jump, but lets see how they can do dressage."

Comment

Sometimes it's a matter of rider focus.

I also ride a horse who competes at dressage, showjumping and eventing. When I'm jumping him, I'm almost unconscious of the aids, my hands are soft, my eyes are up, my leg is on and effective. When I want a walk/canter transition it is up and has power and jump. I can get lateral work almost without thinking when I need to (slight hp in a jump-off, or SI if you are losing some engagement), and my horse is on a contact which is light and elastic.

Stick me in a 20 x 60 and it all falls apart. Why? Because suddenly there are no jumps to focus on. Instead of the focus being "get to the fence", it is "go from A to B and do it round, engaged, etc, etc, etc".

It's a freaking nightmare because suddenly there is so much to THINK about. And my horse feels the tension, feels the additional pressure from hands, and seat, and legs and starts to go like he is filled with lead.

Is this not maybe what happens to you?

If so, you might find that you can cheat a little. I try to pretend that there is a jump at the arena markers, so instead of going "canter at A and then circle at B", I think, "there is a 3'3" oxer at B, and I ask for the canter that I need to clear that oxer. Generally, it is a MUCH better canter than the one I would be asking fore if I didn't imagine the jump.

If this is not your problem, then sorry and carry on....

Comment

• Original Poster

Kaeleer! I think that you are right! Thanks for the tips!

Comment

You're welcome.

Don't thank me just yet : this might help you at the canter, and possibly the trot, but it's not much help when it comes to the walk!

It just gives you a possible reason for why the horse goes differently when you jump. You're still going to need to learn to RIDE that way on the flat.

Comment

oooh, i'll have to give that a try too!!!

hee hee.. .just watch my goofy horse now JUMP out of the arena...well, you said JUMP mom!!!

doh!

Comment

I am going through the same problem with my gelding right now. He loves trails and running around cross counrty, but ask him to do actual WORK in an arena and he has a fit. His favourite evasion is dropping his head and getting really heavy in my hands.

I had a rather intense lesson with my dressage trainer and we worked in a 20m circle walk and trot, focusing on basics like keeping a steady rhythm and keeping the bend of the circle. whenever he would try and drop his head, he would get strong leg and a little extra inside rein. Toward the end of the lesson he started to figure out he got much less of a hassle if he pulled himself together and focused on his job rather than being a lazy bum.

Its A LOT of legwork!!! Remember to keep pushing him forward!

Comment

What about tips for a hot horse?

Originally posted by BaileyTW View Post

I had a rather intense lesson with my dressage trainer and we worked in a 20m circle walk and trot, focusing on basics like keeping a steady rhythm and keeping the bend of the circle. whenever he would try and drop his head, he would get strong leg and a little extra inside rein. Toward the end of the lesson he started to figure out he got much less of a hassle if he pulled himself together and focused on his job rather than being a lazy bum.

Its A LOT of legwork!!! Remember to keep pushing him forward!
                                        This thread has been really interesting to me as my horse lately has been getting really heavy. However, she is a very hot horse - I apply my leg and she just takes off. Sometimes just giving her an aid to correct something can throw her into a panic... she will throw up her head, hollow out her back, and take off. I am trying to get her to relax and accept my leg and we are slowly making progress but she just has the personality that anything new (and that doesn't mean just riding related - it can be anything new in her "world" ) will throw her into a tizzy.

I notice lately that when I do get her to relax and listen calmly, she will start following my contact, then get really heavy in my hands, and it appears she is trying to stretch. While she is heavy in my hands, I can feel a lot of movement from her hindquarters in my seat, like her stride is getting "deeper", for lack of a better term. At first I thought this heaviness was because I have been trying to ride her in shorter rein contact. But I have noticed that even if I give her a reward by walking on a loose rein for a couple of strides after some circle patterns, she will stretch down long and low.

I am not sure how I should be interpreting this... Is what I am viewing as "stretching" a good thing or a bad habit that is developing? If it is a bad thing, does anybody have suggestions as to how to handle given her temperament?

(I am obviously a greenie and am trying to learn and can only describe what I am noticing so please be kind... )

Comment

Working...
                                        X