• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dressage saddle for a wide, broad backed horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressage saddle for a wide, broad backed horse?

Hi ,
    I am having trouble finding a saddle to fit my very wide warmblood. Her back looks like a draft horse or halflinger's back. She has low withers and her back is flat on either side of the spine instead of sloping away like most horses. Also most saddles slide forward or to the side on her. When I first got her I put on a medium tree Hennig because that was all I had and when we cantered it slid COMPLETELY to the side and I fell off. I am now convinced this is because the saddle was WAY too narrow for her.
    I have heard that Duett saddles fit wide horses. Does anyone have any experience with these saddles? The website says they are made by a company with a different name in Germany. Does anyone know which company that is?
    Also, does anyone have any experience with the thorowgood broadbacked dressage? I know its not fancy and pretty, but I have tried so many saddles with no sucess and I would rather have a cheap saddle but have my horse trot like a million bucks than a $6000 Hennig that I wouldn't even get through a walk-trot test in.
    Any other ideas or recommendations for a dressage saddle for wide horses would be great. Thanks!
    Das größte Glück der Erde liegt auf dem Rücken der Pferde. Das größte Glück der Pferde ist der Reiter auf der Erde

Google Duett. From what I gather, that is specifically the type of horse their saddles are designed for. And not TOO expensive, although more than a synthetic.

Missed the part where you asked about Duett! I don't have any first hand experience with them. I have seen their Foxhunter model, I liked it. Didn't sit in it though.

I am also curious about the Thorowgood.
    Last edited by spacehorse; Sep. 21, 2008, 11:19 PM. Reason: Didn't read entire post!

Comment

My experience- I have the widest back horse I have ever seen.

Wintec with the XW gullet- not a good fit, needs to be wider at the top for his mutton wither and large shoulder.

Duett with hoop tree in 39cm tree- nice saddle, but didn't fit me quite right and the gullet was not quite wide enough all the way back- he is wide right back to his fat butt.

Finally, I got a Schleese used on e-bay and took it down to have it fitted by Jochen Schleese. Finally, a good fit for him! And as he fits up, I can have it re-adjusted! The gullet is very wide all the way back and the panels were swept up to accomodate his short back.

The duett WAS nice, though, and the Schleese, even used, was quite a bit more expensive. If that was my price range, I'd still go with that. Other options in the hoop tree (wider at the top) are the Lovatt and Ricketts ellipse, the Black Country Eloquence X, and the Albion can be special ordered.

Good luck!

eta: Go to the website for Trumbull Mountain and follow their directions to do a wither tracing. You can send it to them and they'll tell you what saddles might fit.

Comment

Wide horses

My Dressage Trainer recommened a Duett saddle for my broad mare. I haven't got one yet but did check them out online.
        I looked into the Synthetic saddles including the Thorowgoods and tried one out. I didn't like them myself, but that is me. I have heard others LOVE them. Plus the price is sure good. It is an personal choice. Find what works for you.
        Dover saddlery has Wintec and Thorowgood dressage in stock (and in store), so you can check them out.

GB

Comment

My mare is wide and I tried a Duett and a Rembrandt on her that were wide enough, but she needed a hoop tree. So I ended up with an Albion instead. www.equusnow.com has a some used dressage saddles with a good trial policy, you might want to look there to try some different brands.

Comment

I have a Duett Encore and it fits my draft crosses quite well. It is a well made saddle and the customer service was great. Its definitely worth a look and test ride.
            Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Tanker chick here does well in her County WB XW. Her momma (built the same) had a County Competitor XW.
              Wintec: didn't fit right in the cantle
              Passier I have here: fits my other horses here well up to what I call a "medium wide" (saddle is marked wide) which would be the stock horses and the beefy built TB but not tanker chick WBs (whom I call the sofas).
              Providence Farm
              http://providencefarmpintos.blogspot.com/

Comment

I did a lot of saddle shopping for my wide-backed PercheronX.

I ended up with an XW tree, Passier Relevant.

I also tried the Passier Grand Gilbert XW tree, which I also liked and seemed to fit.

Comment

I have a Duett Largo for my superwide draft cross and it works great for us. It also fits well on my young very wide warmblood.
                  The Duett Fidelio did not fit at all.
                  You will probably need to go up a seat size in the Largo or Fidelio - they run small.

Comment

Originally posted by lwk View Post
                    I have a Duett Largo for my superwide draft cross and it works great for us. It also fits well on my young very wide warmblood.
                    The Duett Fidelio did not fit at all.
                    You will probably need to go up a seat size in the Largo or Fidelio - they run small.
                    I went from the Duett Fidelio to a Schleese and I will never go back. I found that saddle to be nicely made for the price, but the difference the Schleese has made in my horse's movement and my position is astonishing. Furthermore, I found the panels sat very very wide across her back (like, more onto her sides because it was so wide).

My caution to you is that if you go with a Duett, have the saddle fitter out ASAP to make sure that it isn't too wide.
                    Luna's Equine Designs - Custom stall signs and more! https://www.facebook.com/LunasEquineDesigns

Comment

I have Haflingers....

My mom had a Duett Encore that fit the horses well, but didn't fit ME at all. I was constantly fighting to keep my leg back, and the twist was so wide it hurt my hips.

I did ride in Duett Rondo (jumping saddle) that I LOVED.

My mom has a Dominus that works okay, is comfortable for me, but isn't QUITE wide enough for the girls.

I ride in Custom Saddlery Royal Star that fits all of our Haflingers beautifully, and somehow is wide enough for them, but quite narrow in the twist which I need. I bought it used for $1200.

Comment

going by SHAPE here- not width- becuase one can have a very broad back- but not be 'wide' (or vice versa)

Bates innova
                        Schleese
                        Albion with the low head option...
                        duette's

most of the 'semi custom' brands have a wide horse option/panel set up etc... you may want to see saddles that use the term 'hoop' tree- (which is the albion's low head) but something wider across the pommel..
                        Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
                        www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Comment

My Duett Largo has been checked by the County saddle fitter and she said it is a great fit for both my horses.
                          Now that is real saddle karma!!
                          I believe the Largo does have the "hoop tree". I tried an XW Albion with low head and it was too narrow. Albion rep told me that my horse needs the "hoop tree".

Comment

Originally posted by lwk View Post
                            I believe the Largo does have the "hoop tree". I tried an XW Albion with low head and it was too narrow. Albion rep told me that my horse needs the "hoop tree".
                            The Largo does have the "hoop tree." I've gotten different information from different sources about the Fidelio, but the end result is that it is not as suitable for the broad backed horses as the Largo.

I am not sure if it is still the case, but I was told that Albion could be special ordered with a hoop tree- it was a rare order, so finding one used would be very difficult.

These are the other saddles I know of with a hoop tree:
                            http://www.trumbullmtn.com/Saddle_%2...ackcountry.htm

Black Country Eloquence X

http://www.landrsaddles.com/Saddles/Ellipse.htm

Lovatt and Rickett's Ellipse

And I've seen the photos NeVar has shown me of the Innova, and indeed it's a much different shape than the other Wintec/Bates saddles I've seen, even though it uses the same gullet plate. Go figure

Comment

A vote for Thorowgood

Not exactly a dressage rider here, but I have a Thorowgood dressage saddle (wide width) that fit my old horse (Paint tank) and current horse (QH cross tank) really well... and it's extremely comfy for me... It cost me about $100 used on ebay.

Comment

Not a "true" dressage saddle I have a Thorowgood WB Wide Selecta that fits the WIDE with withers WB I am currently riding and I find it comfy and it puts me in the correct position.

BTW, I don't know if it is still made, but the Selecta came with interchangeable knee rolls. There is a straight dressage pair, a more forward pair with moderate knee rolls for all purpose, and a pair for jumping with minimal knee rolls. I generally use the all purpose pair.

Christa

Comment

We have draft crosses and all of them ride in stubbens - 31 cm width - we use 18 and 19" seats on the saddles.

Never had any problems.

Comment

Full draft, 32cm (wide tree) Stubben.

All those "hoop" and "Draft" saddles had NO wither clearance. Fine for mutton-withered horses, but just because a horse is wide doesn't mean it is flat. My girl also has a significant shoulder angle that some of the hoop-y saddles didn't accomodate.

Then again, my girl has such a curvy back and pronounced wither that you don't really even need a saddle...maybe not the best example.
                                    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

Send a PM to TouchStoneAcres here on CoTH. She breeds Lipizzaners and sells Duetts.

I use an Ansur Classic on my Lipizzaner mare. Love it.

Eileen
                                      Mad Mare™ Studio
                                      Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
                                      http://MadMare.com

Comment

my fatlinger is in a Warendorf monoflap wide....I had my saddler drop the panels, completely reflock in real wool, then custom fit to my beast. He has had many duetts, all 36 cm, but they did nothing for my seat....we did have good luck with an Anky wide for about a year....
                                        he's a big horse with short legs...really!

Comment

Working...
                                        X