• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

biting advice needed re: bits and cheek pieces - loose ring vs eggbutt??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biting advice needed re: bits and cheek pieces - loose ring vs eggbutt??

Question for you all. I begin with the confession that I am not a professional rider so there are still lots of things for me to work on. Like my hands. And my feel. I am trying - really, I am - but you can't buy it on ebay or otherwise I would have scraped up enough pennies by now.

I'm riding a big, green boy who tries his heart out. He is currently in a KK loose ring and goes well.

I get the sense that I frustrate him by being inconsistent with my hands. Sometimes we’re behind the bit, sometimes we’re above. I am not looking for a stronger bit – we have good brakes and steering in the KK. But I occasionally wonder whether a cheek piece switch would help him by muffling out some of my bad signals and keeping the bit a little more stable in his mouth.

Do you think this would be a worthy avenue to explore?

If yes, would an eggbutt or a D be more effective/appropriate? I’m not clear on the difference in action between these two and would appreciate your input.

TIA.

Well, a loose ring is a lively bit that awakens a too quiet mouth. While an eggbutt won't really muffle out your mistakes, but if he's annoyed by the liveliness of the bit , switching to an eggbutt will help.

As for your hands, there's a great suggestion in this'd the Dressage Today to practice transitions holding both reins in your outside hand. Your seat needs an education more than your hands
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I don't know about your particular horse, but can tell you that my Arab is noticeably better in an eggbutt. He seems to like the stability v. a loose ring.

He really likes the eggbutt in a Micklem bridle, which also helps to stabilize the bit.

Comment

I agree with the suggestion for Eggbutt Snaffle--has been my experience that with the eggbut some horses really respond to the Stability. They also make rein inserts that might be slightly less $$$ than a new KK--I have never used these or tried them but might be worth testing out.
        Redbud Ranch
        Check us out on FB

Comment

Originally posted by GreyDes View Post
          I don't know about your particular horse, but can tell you that my Arab is noticeably better in an eggbutt. He seems to like the stability v. a loose ring.

He really likes the eggbutt in a Micklem bridle, which also helps to stabilize the bit.
          ^This. My Arab also much prefers an egg butt over a loose ring. Also, a properly fitted drop noseband would help with stability as well. A Micklem bridle functions much the same.

But, as someone else said, your seat needs work, as well as your elbows.

It feels counter intuitive at first but a shorter rein with a consistent contact is generally better accepted by horses than a light, floppy come and go contact.

Comment

Loose rings can actually catch and pinch the lip. Not nice. Go with the eggbutt.

Comment

It wouldn't hurt anything to try. Some horses prefer a fixed ring over a loose, and sometimes a more stable bit can be beneficial to a greener horse.

As far as the difference between an eggbutt and a D-ring? Basically aesthetics. You could make a really nitpicky argument about how they are ever so slightly different, but in terms of action in the mouth, most horses wouldn't notice. I HATE D-rings myself because my reins always slide over and get stuck on the spot where the curve meets the straight at the bottom of the "D" part. Drives me bonkers! Plus, they look all hunter-y.
              "Sometimes the fear won't go away... so you just have to do it afraid."

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Comment

If you can spare the money, I would definitely try it! One of my previous horses (arab-x) was great in a JP Korsteel curved eggbutt frenchlink snaffle, but was a monster in the KK ultra loose ring french link snaffle. She would head shake and buck in the KK, poor girl must have been being pinched somewhere.

My current horse also does not particularly care for the KK (won't go round, opens her mouth a bit), but does really well in the same JP Korsteel eggbutt bit as the arab-x. I tried the exact same bit (mouth piece being the curved, oval french link) in a D ring instead of an eggbutt and good gravy her mouth was gaping and she would not stop head shaking. D-rings apply more cheek pressure which apparently my little pony could not handle.

I have been told that loose rings help with horses that like to lean on you, with the bit not being in a fixed position it makes it harder to do that. If your guy is not a leaner, he may like the stability of the eggbutt cheekpiece like mine have.

Comment

JP Korsteel makes very nice bits. They are well designed and they have a beautiful jeweler's finish. They are incredibly inexpensive for what you get. Korsteel has always made beautiful bits.

The other group of bits I love are the Sprenger Dynamic RS bits ... probably the most expensive bits on the market .

It's kind of funny that the pricing difference between the two is VAST.

I am a fan of well designed jeweler's finish bits.

Comment

Originally posted by BaroquePony View Post
                    JP Korsteel makes very nice bits. They are well designed and they have a beautiful jeweler's finish. They are incredibly inexpensive for what you get. Korsteel has always made beautiful bits.

The other group of bits I love are the Sprenger Dynamic RS bits ... probably the most expensive bits on the market .

It's kind of funny that the pricing difference between the two is VAST.

I am a fan of well designed jeweler's finish bits.
                    I have the sprenger RS dynamic loose ring, and a NS loose ring. It was recommended on another thread to try the JP Korsteel eggbutt with lozenge in the middle. My horse loves it and it is very stable in the mouth. She also goes well in both the loose ring bits but is the most steady in the eggbutt.

What a price difference I might add!
                    Last edited by Octobergirl; Nov. 14, 2012, 06:19 PM. Reason: Add text

Comment

http://www.smartpakequine.com/jp-kor...utt-6148p.aspx

My young horse goes really well in this bit. In fact, it’s the bit I started her in as a 3 year old, and have been using it ever since.

It’s a JP Korsteel Eggbutt Oval mouth. The bit has curved bars to shape to the mouth, the oval center piece is smooth and very round – does not cause undue pressure to the tongue. The shape of the bit means it will not poke to the roof of the mouth when the reins are pulled like some standard snaffles.

I do not start youngsters in loose ring snaffles as they can pinch the cheeks, and I want the bit to have a solid cheek piece for early, direct rein steering.
                      APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

Reviving this thread because I'm having similar thoughts. My horse is a typical sensitive & light-mouthed TB who demands to be ridden properly or he impersonates a giraffe. He is currently in a single joint Myler D. He goes alright in it, but I feel that he might prefer a thicker bit because he has a tendency to back off the contact. He will sometimes toss his head for theatrics, but he tries hard to be a good boy.

I've tried a rubber three-piece loose ring, and he didn't seem impressed with it. I started him in a JP Korsteels three-piece loose ring with a copper lozenge, but it seems small, so I quickly went to the D ring. At this point in his education I am wanting him to learn to really stretch down and into the contact. I admit I get braced in my shoulders, but he's such a tattle-tale that I have learned to fix it.

Now, part two, why would you choose a three-piece bit over a single joint? I am trying to expand my bit knowledge, but it's a process.
                        runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

I chose the JP Korsteel oval mouth eggbutt talked about above because my Arab rears and freaks out with a bit with a single break. I assume it pokes him in the roof of the mouth or pinches his bars.

My Arab does not like the Mylers. I think they are too thin for his liking.

Comment

• Original Poster

Since this got revived an update is in order...

I did spend the $$$ on a D-Ring Sprenger with the KK ultra mouthpiece. Made a world of difference to me. I could hold the bit steadier and felt like we could get the connection with the bit better with less fussing around.

That being said, my dressage coach and my jumping coach both proclaimed that there was no difference in feel to them. Not to be captain obvious, they have better hands than me, a mere mortal amateur. They did both like me riding in the D ring better.

However, since using the D-ring I have now figured out what it should feel like and am more successful with the loose ring (also Sprenger KK). So the D ring has stayed on the jumping bridle and the loose ring lives on the dressage bridle and all is well in the world.

I am glad that I spent the money as it provided me with an (expensive) short cut to figuring out the feel issue.

Comment

Get the best of both worlds - a Loose Ring Egg Butt in ONE bit...

Get the best of both - a Loose Ring Egg Butt in ONE bit! I switched my sensitive, up headed, tight through the back young Thoroughbred (schooloing and showing at Training Level) from a traditional egg butt to a traditional loose ring, no change or improvement at all ... Then I learned about this thing called a "Micmar Cupreon Loose Ring Egg Butt Snaffle with a Losenze Snaffle. Amazing - totally new horse! So happy to look for the bit and STRETCH. Its a little funky looking - like an English racehorse because the rings are big, and the egg butt barrel is wide
                              - but that is the beauty of it. Compared to EVERY other loose ring I have examined, the rings DO NOT STICK at all, and the barrel of the egg butt on this one protects his lips COMPLETELY. Love this bit, won't EVER look for another! And it IS ALLOWED. Got us through our training "plateau" and turned our low 50 % rides into 70 %s instead! And I have always used Rein Aid reins, love those, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X