• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Will riding in an AP/jump saddle affect my dressage later?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will riding in an AP/jump saddle affect my dressage later?

I recently started riding again after a 2-year break. I met a wonderful trainer who is allowing me to hack her school horses in exchange for some light work. She happens to be a Hunter/Jumper trainer. I adore her and am so grateful for the opportunity..and admittedly, am enjoying doing a bit of jumping (okay, 1' stuff but still. ) My goal when I develop more confidence is to get back to Dressage and take it as far as I can go (I still want to incorporate small jumps and hacking outside as cross-training.) But my question is, will riding hunter/jumper affect my ability to ride dressage later on? My stirrups aren't that much shorter than I would ride with normally, but obviously the saddle does put my leg a bit forward. Even if you guys do think it will make things harder later on, I won't stop riding with her because getting myself over my 'issues' is way more important than some position challenges, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep myself ready to transition to dressage when the time comes. Would doing Pilates help? Any suggestions at all are welcome. Thanks.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

I do both with all of the horses I train and just switch back and forth between saddles.

Dressage trainers do not comment on my stirrup length (apparently it is fine?) but apparently I ride a bit short to jump.

Perhaps this is just to more easily "distinguish" for myself and to more easily ride The Other Way.

Either way when I jump I do almost no flat work that ride. I get on, ride a few laps to warmup, jump, and am finished in 15 minutes total. They do their flat work during their dressage schools. Again, perhaps that is one way I help myself distinguish between the two rides. I'm either in one mode, or the other.
    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

It is going to be harder if you ride a few years in one style and then change. Is there anyway you can flat in a dressage saddle? It is much easier when you say do both like an eventer because you have the muscle memory for both. But to do one for years and then change will make it harder to ride more correct for dressage and you will have to retrain yourself. That said you can still work on sitting up in the jumping saddle and not hunter perch in it. That will take a lot of the battle away later if you ride correct in your body. You may have to fight against the saddle a bit so it doesn't tip you forward like most jumping saddles do. Sit up and straight and try to bring your leg back. If you do this in this saddle it will strengthen you core and body nicely for when you transition but the hard part is doing it and not letting the saddle take you naturally forward.
      Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Depends on who you ask. If you ask the dressage riders, many of them will say "Yes, it will affect you." If you ask the eventers, they'll usually say "It's easier to execute dressage aids in a dressage saddle, but you're fine in a jump saddle until you get to Second Level, at which point you really need a dressage saddle to execute the movements." I tend to side with the eventers on that one.

In a perfect world you can move between the two types of saddles, as meupatdoes describes. You can learn a lot by "translating" what you learned in one saddle/position to another saddle/position. But in a less-perfect world, I'd take whatever saddle got me onto a well-schooled horse that let me log some positive miles in the saddle.

I'd say 95% of what makes it hard to move from a jump saddle to a dressage saddle is conceptual. Having been taught to ride by lower-level H/J trainers, it took me a long time to get over certain conceptual hangups I had about what reins did, what legs did, how to use my seat aids, etc. Once I crossed those conceptual hurdles, I found I could do some pretty decent Training Level dressage in my jump saddle. And it's saved my hide a few times in the hunt field and on cross country courses!
        Last edited by jn4jenny; Nov. 9, 2012, 02:43 PM.
        Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

rabicon: Thanks, I will keep that in mind. My trainer is always on me anyway to sit up more during the canter since I tend to lean forward. We also incorporate some sitting trot into the work. I would agree with the jn4jenny that it seems to make sense that one could ride up to 2nd level, where not much collection is required, in a close contact or AP saddle. It may not be ideal, but for some of us it's the only option.
          I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Comment

Absolutely not because you can ride more upright in an AP (flat work) and in light seat (if jumping). Anyone who says it will adversely affect you has not done both jumping and flat work. Likely you will be more secure on more horses. And there is no reason you cannot do collection in an AP.
            I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Well I've done both actually. Hunters to jumpers to eventing oh and started with barrel racing. All but eventing put me in a more forward seat so after years of this training and body training that's how I rode. It took a while to retrain myself. Like I said though correct riding in a jumping saddle is ok and can be done but you just fight against the saddle usually and it makes it harder but not impossible
              Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Imho it is the posture of the rider always. The rest is an excuse. The reasoning is like the comment in 'International Velvet'.
                I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

You can ride any horse in any saddle provided that you understand how balance is achieved in the type of saddle you are riding. The balance point for an AP saddle is not the same as the balance point in a dressage saddle. The AP has a slightly uphill bias, which has the rider's torso slanted slightly forward...as if at any moment you can rise in correct two point. The dressage seat has the rider's torso in a more vertical position. If you maintain the same posture eventually in your dressage saddle as you should be using in the AP, the projection of your weight onto the horse's back will slightly load the horse's front legs, increasing weight on the forehand.

Comment

FWIW, there are some top level eventers who only ride in their jump saddles even when competing in Intermediate and Advanced competitions. They don't switch for dressage, just drop their stirrups down.

Before I got my dressage saddle, the only saddle that fit my mare was my jump saddle. i prepped for dressage by dropping my stirrups and letting my legs get as long as they could at least once or twice a week for half an hour or so. When I transitioned to a dressage saddle it was very easy and comfortable, and I found that we had really improved during the stirrup=less weeks. Among other benefits, since the jump saddle didn't ... ummmm...."cuddle" me into the correct position, I really had to learn it in my core

But then, I'm an eventer, not a real dressage rider.
                    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

The main thing when I was teaching my students was knowing your core. You learn where you core is, regardless of your saddle, and you're pretty much set. (this is where your idea of pilates could come in handy!)

I come from (most recently) the H/J world, though I started in eventing. I do all my "flat work" now in my jump saddles, though I own a couple dressage saddles (which do come out of the woodworks sometimes!) My horse and I jump big enough fences to where I'd say dressage is needed, as coursing 4'6+ requires some necessary tools that dressage offers (we're not out there doing Piaffe's or anything fancy shmancy, but the basic lateral, extension, collection, bending, etc.) I have a very european background, and a very dressage background. I say my stirrups are much shorter but other than that, the rest is pretty much the same. At times, my tilt is different from that of if I were to be riding in a dressage saddle, but for the most part, I do not ride with that typical hunter forward position.

All about the core.

Dressage saddles have a lovely place in dressage, though But no, riding in a jump saddle won't ruin ya!

Comment

Working...
                      X