• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Western dressage??? Really???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluemooncowgirl View Post
    Mystic Oak, thanks for the warm welcome to those of us with different saddles. I'm seriously considering WD with my little grade QH pony that we were given. He really has no idea he isn't a WB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nte3y...ature=youtu.be

Watch for the mule.
    I'm digging the 'period' outfit worm by the chick riding astride in the skort, 'prairie-ish' blouse, and spiffy hat. The mule gets smiley points. I saw one really good looking bay ridden by a guy in a rather plain, daily work-ish, shirt. That was a sexy horsey!
    "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

If someone shows and they lack something they will have it on their test scored by a judge and commented on. This is so they can go home and work on it and become better and understand the basics of dressage. If they keep showing and don't improve because they don't want to go forward or have impulsion then their scores will reflect it and they will eventually get tired of losing and scoring badly. Who cares really. These horses look so much happier than wp horses gnu around a ring and I wish more of those riders would come over to western dressage and learn from it through the dressage world. My new guy is a APHA horse. He is training and maybe in his first show in november. I believe he is going to make a nice lower level dressage horse and it doesn't matter what saddle i put on him he could do it either way. We have hopes of 3rd level for this guy, I will admit it maybe difficult at 3rd for him, but just because he is a true stock bred western horse does that mean he shouldn't be in the ring? The horses on that video are all capable of nice gaits and impulsion at these levels and the more feedback they get the more they will develop them correctly we hope. It's just in the starts, give it time before we bash everyone that wants to try it. The curb bit. Well, I've seen worse riding in a snaffle then any of those riders with the curb on. Quiet hands and not constantly hanging on the reins to put them in a frame. The horses carried themselves decently in the video for the most part. Do they need a little work, yes, but it's not the end of dressage as we know it. There will always be dressage in the grand scheme of things unless we constantly bash others that want to try it. Heck my old Morgan x appendix mutt that excelled in dressage at lower levels before I had to retire him actually did saddle club shows. True English pleasure by aqha standards. Did we win? No, not usually except in the jumping and eq but I never was put down or looked at funny because this horse shouldn't be there. We even did western pleasure and barrels for fun sometimes. It was bad lol but everyone talked to us and gave us pointers and knew we were dressage riders so he is not going to be like their horses but they embraced us and didn't turn their noses up at us because we looked different. Oh, and we barrel raced in a jumping saddle. No one called us out. They just said good job and way to hang on in that saddle lol
      Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

a western rider's perspective

for many years I took dressage lessons in my western saddle on my working cowhorse mare then later on my semi-retired fjord gelding, no dressage instructor ever turned me away. I had no aspirations of ever wanting to show or even moving up through the levels. I simply wanted my horses to move more correctly and for me to develop more fully as a rider. I had grown up riding finished bridle horses in working cowhorse events. I hate when folks compare our horses to yours. Like apples and oranges. I love to watch GOOD dressage as much as I love to watch GOOD cowhorses, can truly appreciate the attributes of each but they are totally different and should be judged as such.

I think Western Dressage is a nice concept and if I were still riding it would probably be where I would fit in best. My preference would be that they stay within their own shows though I can see the relevance of offering it at the local schooling show level. These types of shows offered by local clubs are struggling in a tough economy and fill a much needed gap for entry level folks to gain knowledge and experience and to test the waters to see if dressage is something they might like to pursue. Honestly I don't think the WD riders have any intention of making over dressage in the ways that some folks have blasted them for. I think the folks who started it may have found a viable option for riders who don't quite fit in any other discipline but I've not read the background on it either.

Over the years I have sought out very experienced and supportive horse folk of various disciplines and have learned something (good or bad) from all of them, above all they have the best interest of the horse in common. I appreciate and have tried to take on that same attitude as I now find myself entering the world of driving with two seasoned miniature show geldings who I'm interested in learning *gasp* driven dressage with.....I can only imagine the disdain and eye rolling I might get from folks with narrow minded visions of their chosen sport when we show up next year at some event

Comment

On facebook is a page devoted to Western Dressage.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Nort...sternDressage/

I have no idea who wrote the western dressage tests. The lower level tests are straight lines and 20 meter circles...as are our lower level tests...the difference is not only the saddle used (which in my humblest of opinions should not matter), it's the bits. Why someone needs a curb chain in a test equivalent to Intro tests is beyond me. If they use a curb, they ride one handed, or they should. There are some videos out there on you tube from the Dallas Dressage Clubs latest schooling show of western dressage. I think the western folk are trying to develop something new for the western world. Something new and different is not always a bad thing! ;-) However, when it seems to be about the headset ALL the time...well....am not so sure. ;-)
          Bethe Mounce
          Head Trainer, AmeriCan Romance Equestrian
          https://www.facebook.com/AmericanRomanceEquestrian
          Brentwood CA

Comment

Interesting and shows the test with judges scored. Horse got an 80.9

http://randybyershorsemanship.com/in...naffle-vs-curb

Comment

Yes Rabicon. I saw the video and then there's a "document" with Randy's comments etc. From my humblest of perspectives and experience, the test he rode that he garnered the 80%, well....it didn't ask alot of the horse or the rider. Then again, this whole concept of western dressage is new; when something is new, everyone has their own idea of how the new wheel should spin. ;-) I applaud their efforts, but as I mentioned before, it still seems to be about the headset and not enough about the engine... ;-)
              Bethe Mounce
              Brentwood CA

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow. I guess I haven't made any friends here. Lol... A few things and then I will shut up and go back to my "non open minded views". First... If the western people would like to ride in legal bits that would be a fantastic start.... or wait.... maybe we should be "open minded" and all be allowed to ride in a curb at training and first level. Secondly... Where exactly is the working trot? Are we changing the requirements for each level as well? I am all for the quarter horse, paint and hunter rider trying dressage (in an approved bit while demonstrating the requirements of the level). They don't have to move like a warmblood. I have many students that have average horses BUT they go into the arena with the proper bit, demonstrating the REQUIRED movements. I have NO problem welcoming the western folks into our world IF the work displayed was dressage, HOWEVER, I will never be receptive if all I see is a western pleasure class. I feel it completely goes against the training scale which most of us try so very hard to adhere to. I understand the money issues that EVERYONE is having at the moment, but I personally can't put a price on tainting the values this sport is suppose to teach horse and rider. Wear the correct bit, go forward in a working trot to develop a connection between leg, seat and hand and I don't give a hoot if you ride in a western saddle or ride a paint or a mule. Sorry if no one agrees and I find it very sad that more don't agree. I will still not allow wd at my dressage shows until the rules are changed to mirror our own.

Comment

Oh wow...

Why is it that other disciplines feel the need to call what they do Dressage.
                  In no way no how is what is done in so called Western Dressage comparable to True Dressage.
                  So I will never feel otherwise. The sound you hear is the masters spinning in their graves.

Comment

Well, my now Grand Prix dressage horse started out his career as USEF Zone Champion Working Western. While he was competing Training level and First leve (got a Zone award for dressage too).

Now that he has an injury he recovering from, I am certainly considering riding him in a western dressage class or two just to get him out and around. Might even show him in trail. It takes a long time to get those muscles back and a western saddle is quite comfortable for him.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well said Sannois. Someone on my side at last!

Comment

Originally posted by Bethe Mounce View Post
                        Why someone needs a curb chain in a test equivalent to Intro tests is beyond me.
                        No, they don't need a curb, and we know it's not necessary; but for folks who have ridden western style their whole life, it is bit terrifying and bewildering to suddenly ride in a snaffle. Imagine what you will feel like if you are all the sudden asked to ride bridleless.

The solution is simple really: start to demand and reward true flexion and correct bends and those riders will all the sudden realize it is heck lot easier to achieve that with a snaffle bridle and two hands. That is one reason why some of them start to ride two-handed lol: much easier if you get two hands to navigate through patterns. If they are being judged as a dressage should be judged, they will have no choice but to venture into snaffle bridle.

Comment

If we are more close minded then the top tier of WP/cow/barrel racing then please by all means go ahead and try to take a horse there without training/tack/full commitment. See how inclusive they are when you not only dont get a score but no ribbon just the gate.

I mentioned above the cow horse of the year? Ask how many dollars and cents have been put into her tack/care/training?

EASILY they paid 3k a month training to put her on cows and get in the money and EASILY her 4 saddles cost more than my car.

Her special shoes, special bits, the chaps, work wraps/boots, and entry fees are a dent for sure to rival nationally ranked dressage horses.

Cant change an expensive horses spots no matter the breed, but she cant do a piaffe so they dont offer that as a job.

But when you put 10-20k into a yearling and another 50k in training isnt that only for elite wbs?

The answer? A resounding nope!

Only other sports can have money involved because they say howdy? I dont buy it. The biggest snob in town here is sitting in oh about 20k worth of western tack when you meet her. She will spit on an arab rather than look at them (ask me how i know lol) and thinks all Tb's are crazy. I dont even think she knows what a WB is!

Some people think that other disciplines let you wander in off the trail without lessons or gear>?

how silly is that?
                          ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                          http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
                            I'm digging the 'period' outfit worm by the chick riding astride in the skort, 'prairie-ish' blouse, and spiffy hat. The mule gets smiley points. I saw one really good looking bay ridden by a guy in a rather plain, daily work-ish, shirt. That was a sexy horsey!
                            OK, just to muddy the waters - this video is COWBOY Dressage, which is different then Western Dressage. I am hoping the two organizations get together and become one organization with ONE set of tests. Cowboy Dressage has a series of tests that progress further then the current Western Dressage tests. They also have slightly different guidelines with more emphasis on "soft feel".

Western Dressage currently only has lower level tests - equivalent of Intro and Training Level. I think they are working on more advanced tests, but are putting out the tests slowly.

Cowboy Dressage has tests that get progressively more complicated, with 10 meter circles and TOH/TOF (they do allow pivots), Reinback, and other more advanced training requirements.

There is at least one Warmblood in that video

To those who feel only "dressage riders" can claim the work dressage - you do know the masters would never recognize a Training or First level test? That many feel it isn't dressage until it is PSG? Really, can't we all work together to advance good horse training?

Comment

The one I posted is western dressage at an actual dressage show. You can see the riders in the other rings.

Comment

I recall competing my 15HH Arabian in cones & poles ... him in a dressage saddle & english bridle; me in breeches, helmet & dress boots.

Some of the westurn people were LIVID - Especially when I knocked some of them out 6th place (last placing for money out of 45 - 55 entries).
                                Mind you, he never got out of that extended trot, but he could weave those poles like a Boarder Collie. He purely loved it!
                                He never ran-out or reared. Nor did I have beat the sh!t out him.
                                And guess what? My helmet STAYED ON!

But then, he was trained "actual" dressage, not the local 4-H people's version of Western Pleasure horse in English Hunter Costume Class, or Western Pleasure horse in English DRESSAGE Costume Class.

Hey, why not just have the so-called WD at the regular western shows?

If I want to look at those ridiculous fake tails, black shoe polish on light hooves, and crazed-pimp-on-acid western bling, I would go to one. I know there are at least 1 or 2 people that agree.

It's like WHY I don't listen to C&W music: I DETEST it.
                                If I pay to go to a concert expecting Dvořák or VNV Nation, and get some yahoo band playing twang-drivel, you bet I'm going to be p!ssed off.
                                I would expect the reverse to be true as well.

Like others; just my personal preference. Carry on.

Comment

Haven't read any replies.

I only give you this. From the WDAA web site under "Education Center"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wPAUb7bgd-g

Kill me now..............

Comment

I did not know there was such a thing as Cowboy Dressage. So, there are two different organizations--Cowboy Dressage and Western Dressage. I assume each group has a different set of tests with differing requirements? I think all the disciplines, regardless of tack, bring something to the table. Whether USDF will be open to some of the thought process from the Western contingent, remains to be seen. So far, I believe the Western dressage classes have been offered at schooling shows, nothing sanctioned.

Yes, I can imagine if a rider is accustomed to riding their horse in a curb (meaning a bit with a port and shank, no joint, and a curb chain) and then having to go to a snaffle..that could be a bit daunting. But.....most horses are started in a plain ordinary D ring or O ring snaffle, with one or two joints. The western folk tend to go to a curb after they feel their horse is "trained" in a snaffle.

It's like the dressage folk who go from a snaffle to the full bridle. The concept is refinement of the aids; however a correctly trained Grand Prix horse should be able to perform the Grand Prix movements in a snaffle and/or the full bridle.

I guess what I am trying to say, it comes down to training. Regardless of tack; if horse is correctly connected from behind and not ridden with a mere headset, well.....it will be rewarded by an astute judge. I see too many "headsets" in both "normal" dressage and western dressage. Perhaps with all disciplines on board, the concept of connection can be further clarified and easier to achieve. I don't know. An open mind is best, yet when I see it done incorrectly, well....I hate to see a new trend go downhill before it has even really gotten started.
                                    Bethe Mounce
                                    Brentwood CA

Comment

Oh one more thing. There is a guy on FB who is basically bashing dressage riders while promoting his WD. To some up, he's scoring in the high 70's which is much higher than the traditional dressage riders so therefore he thinks and is basically saying.....They (traditional riders) must be doing it wrong bc he out scores them every time at every show. I believe I also read a thread where he bet a traditional rider $10,000 that he would win, on the average of three tests ridden, at 3rd or 4th level..... I'm not sure what that was all about but I sure wish I was riding that level. I'd take him up on it.

Comment

No. That Cowboy dressage was on the Western Dressage Assoc of America's site under Education Center. The guy riding is one of the founding members of the WDAA

Comment

Get off your high horse (pun intended).... Dressage means training which means that any discipline can do it. No wonder they make fun of dressage on late night tv...

Comment

Working...
                                          X