• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle Network- any dressage riders going to tag their saddles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle Network- any dressage riders going to tag their saddles?

Any thoughts?
    http://www.saddlenetwork.com/
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

That's more expensive than my personal articles policy that will *pay* for a new saddle if it's stolen!

Comment

Hello Fellow Riders,
      You might want to take another look at Saddle Network because since the launch back in Sept. all membership packages were reevaluated to provide even more value and protection.
      Also the basis of SN is not to replace but rather to Prevent a saddle from being taken in the first place.
      SN allows anyone at anytime the ability to get info on a tagged item and SN's link to social networking allows equestrians to communicate quickly if an item is stolen or lost. It is because of this ability that thieve's will think twice about taking a SN tagged saddle. No thief wants the world to know immediately that the saddle they are trying to unload is HOT!
      On the note of insurance rather than SN -even if a saddle is listed as a line item here's the questions to ask - 1.) what's your deductible? 2.) what is the criteria for replacement? (especially if it's home owners insurance which usually states that the item must be on property at the time of theft) 3.) the 'Big Unknown' factor - how's your premium going to change in the future because of a claim? 4.) What about all the lost riding time and inconvenience until the saddle is replaced?
      The key here is Proactive not reactive. Why give thieves the advantage?

Comment

I don't get it... My saddle already has a unique serial number stamped onto the flap and that type of information is captured in my insurance policy. Looks like I'm required to punch holes in the flap of my saddle to affix this tag (how does this impact the value of my saddle?). If I ever sold my saddle and the new owner didn't want to pay a monthly fee they have a tag stuck on their saddle that shows the saddle as registered to me. What prevents someone from stealing a bunch of tack and then tagging/registering the tack to themselves? Maybe I'm not understanding the intent.

Comment

Hi Countrygal,
          Great questions! Here are the answers.
          Serial number stamped under flap - might be on your insurance policy, but that doesn't prevent the saddle from being stolen.
          The SN tag that is affixed, yes with holes, on the exterior of the saddle, is like an ADT sign out in front of your house. It serves two purposes 1.) A visual theft deterrent. Even if the tag is removed the two holes left behind serve as a red flag and the ID of a saddle can still be checked by parameter search on the SN website 2.) Anyone at anytime can get instant info on the saddle, with pictures and details, simply by scanning the QR code on the tag with a smartphone or entering the tag number on the website. Also if the saddle is stolen the SN member can now quickly change the status of that item to stolen and an alert will be sent immediately via fb, twitter, text and email. Now a community watch has been set in motion, increasing the chance that the thief will be caught trying to sell the saddle to someone who has seen the alert. Can't do any of that with just the saddles serial number.
          Currently thieves like the fact that they can steal a saddle and basically turn around and sell it to an unsuspecting buyer and no one's the wiser.
          By helping us to quickly and easily communicate about our equipment, SN now give us tools to fightback, and thieves will think twice before grabbing a saddle with a tag on it.
          SN tags will actually increase the value of a saddle. It provides a new owner an option for a tool in which to protect their investment. Sort of like selling a home with an alarm system already installed. They have the choice whether to activate it or not.
          When an SN tagged saddle is sold, the tag stays with the saddle and ownership is transferred through the website. Very similar to selling a car. The license plate stays with the vehicle and ownership is transferred through the DMV.
          If the new owner decides not to become a member, then the tag will revert to a non-registered status when checked. You will no longer be associated with the saddle, except for your own reference since the saddle will remain in your archive history. The new owner will still have the visual deterrent with the tag on the saddle, but loses all communication benefits of SN.
          Regarding your last question- "what prevents someone from stealing and tagging tack themselves", Tags are strictly controlled and can only be assigned by SN. Through the site members are required to provide a minimum of five distinct pictures of the item to be tagged plus detailed information. After the tag request has been thoroughly audited the tag number is assigned to the item and the tag with rivets is sent to the member to be applied.
          Hopefully I was able to explain how different and truly beneficial Saddle Network is for the equestrian industry.
          Communication is the key to give us the upper hand against against the thieves that lurk among us.
          SN opens those lines of communication so we can stand protected together vs being a victim alone.

Comment

Thanks for the response, Mary Braly! Appreciate the information.

Comment

No problem Countrygal! Glad to help
              Try checking out the Saddle Network facebook page. It's pretty informative too.
              https://www.facebook.com/SaddleNetwork

Comment

I can't imagine punching permanent holes in such a visible location and affixing such an ugly tag. I imagine this would tank the resale value on a saddle.

Comment

Maybe ugly to some, but cool and high tech to others. Either way if affixing the tag to your saddle is the difference between it being there in the morning or not at all is it really that ugly?

Comment

Mary, thanks for weighing in on this thread...have you guys considered affixing the tag to the back of the saddle, like a nameplate? That's an area that people already put holes in their saddles, might be a little easier to swallow for some of us...

Thanks!
                    TPR!
                    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
                    www.goodhorse.org

Comment

Hi Echodecker,
                      It's my pleasure to answer any question, comments or suggestions regarding Saddle Network.
                      After extensive R & D the reason we chose this particular location for tag placement is so that if a thief removed the tag they would not be able to use the excuse that the holes were from a removed nameplate.
                      Being that nothing goes in the designated tag location holes left behind if a tag is removed immediately creates a blatant 'Red Flag' warning for any unsuspecting buyer, and the status of the saddle can still be verified in a parameter search at saddlenetwork.com.
                      So, tag on or off the thief still runs a good chance of getting caught.
                      To deter theft is what Saddle Network is all about.

Comment

How many members are there currently using saddle tags?
                        www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                        chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Hi Petstorejunkie,
                          As of Saddle Networks recent grand launch back in September of this year the number of tagged saddles are in the triple digits and growing rapidly!

Just a few of the well know names that have jumped on board right away are;
                          Will & Nicole Simpson - Simpson Show Jumping - H/J
                          Duncan McFarlane & Helen McNaught - Outwoods Farm - H/J
                          Hope & Ned Glynn - Sonoma Valley Stables - H/J
                          Al Dunning - Almosta Ranch - Cutting/Reining
                          Sharon Camarillo - Barrel Racing
                          Andrew Coats Southern Cross Ranch - Cutting
                          Jenny & Earl McFall - Dragonfire Sporthorses - Eventing

SN is non breed or discipline specific. Theft has no boundaries and neither does Saddle Network.

Comment

I personally would not consider it.

For one thing, I would not agree that having an ugly tag permanently affixed to a saddle increases its value in any way; quite the opposite, in my opinion. I have bought quite a few high end used saddles over the years, but they've all been in close-to-new condition. Although I appreciate that the tag is meant to be a prominent/visual deterrent for theives, it would also deter me from a purchase. Put plainly, it's just too ugly. Admittedly I am a tack snob and part of the enjoyment of riding is using my beautiful, high quality tack... putting a big ol' ugly tag on it just isn't happening.

My homeowner's policy covers my tack, which I've taken the time to inventory and photograph, just like I do with jewelry and other valuables. I have a reasonable deductible that I would certainly have to cover in the event that I did have a loss, which is fine with me.

I don't buy the scare tactic of "what will happen to my premium in the event of a loss?" because I've actually had a claim and know that I did not face a big increase in costs as a result.

Others may certainly see it differently, which is obviously perfectly fine. To each their own.
                            We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

A monthly fee that goes on forever and ever and ever?

No f*cking way.

The saddles can live on my homeowner's policy, which will actually pay to REPLACE them for the same money.

Also I can microchip and register my cat (which is self-ambulatory and DETERMINED to bolt, unlike a saddle), permanently, for less than one year's worth of monthly plan with this saddle tag.

Is there some reason 24 Hour Pet Watch can tag my cat with a life time membership for around $50 but keeping some archived photos of a saddle is $500????
                              The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                              Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                              Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                              The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Sure, but will the cat bolt with Quality? That's what really matters, you know. I think Quality will run you 9.99/bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                                  Sure, but will the cat bolt with Quality? That's what really matters, you know. I think Quality will run you 9.99/bolt.
                                  Lol!

If we ever sit down for drinks you get a beer for that one.
                                  The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                  Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                  Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                  The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

DEAL!

Comment

Hello Lucassb & Meupatdoes,

Positive or negative, all feedback is welcomed
                                      As we saw by the recent election, people all have very distinct opinions in value.
                                      and I respect both of yours.
                                      I wish my insurance company was as kind and generous as yours, but I think I can say most of us aren't that lucky.
                                      Saddle Network was not created to help "replace", but rather to help riders unite together in the form of communication to help "prevent" the possibility of becoming a victim.
                                      Yes, your insurance might replace a saddles full value with no future repercussion, but what they can't replace is all the valuable time lost after the saddle is stolen and the feeling of violation and venerability that comes with it.
                                      Last edited by Mary Braly; Nov. 9, 2012, 11:52 AM. Reason: remove extra word

Comment

It's a good idea. I have a similar system on my saddles, from the same people who do LoJack. They use small adhesive tags with serial numbers registered to the item's owner, that can be put on anything (bikes, luggage, cell phones, computers, whatever). Mine are under the upper saddle flap, out of sight.
                                        Website is www.ReuniteIt.com.

BTW Mary, not to be a fun hater, but be careful about posting too much about your product ! It'll be considered advertising by the Mods.

Comment

Working...
                                        X