• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Favorite clinic lunches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite clinic lunches

A friend is asking for lunch ideas for a clinic she is hosting. Her mother and aunt have offered to do the lunch - they can both cook, and want to do something rather nice but still affordable.

They are willing to do anything from sandwiches with soup or salad, to BBQ pork, to chili, to casseroles that can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving, etc. They are aware they need to offer both non-vegetarian and vegetarian dishes.

Clinic is in the SE in Nov, and the weather will probably play a part in the menu - it can be either mild and sunny, or cold, windy, and/or rainy that time of year.

So what sticks out in your mind as a memorable clinic meal?

Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
    A friend is asking for lunch ideas for a clinic she is hosting. Her mother and aunt have offered to do the lunch - they can both cook, and want to do something rather nice but still affordable.

They are willing to do anything from sandwiches with soup or salad, to BBQ pork, to chili, to casseroles that can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving, etc. They are aware they need to offer both non-vegetarian and vegetarian dishes.

Clinic is in the SE in Nov, and the weather will probably play a part in the menu - it can be either mild and sunny, or cold, windy, and/or rainy that time of year.

So what sticks out in your mind as a memorable clinic meal?
    I thought the panini sandwiches last time were great

From a rider perspective, I'd suggest something that is easy/not too messy to eat, and light enough that those who are riding after lunch can have a little something that isn't too heavy. Chili is great in the fall, but I wouldn't want to have a bowl of that and then try to ride! (But maybe for the auditors, it would be great...LOL)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Best: Hot baked ziti. I think they also offered mac and cheese, baked beans, and several other dishes at that one. It was a cold day (30s!) and you could tell everyone felt better after lunch.
      Worst: Premade sandwiches/wraps. I hate mayo, and about 95% of premade sandwiches and wraps involve mayo or mystery goo of some sort. So I usually end up just eating the chips and cookie offered on the side, which does not make for a happy afternoon auditor.
      "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
      but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Comment

I attended one that had a vegetarian/and a meat lasagna plus a not too spicy chili. Great muffins and squares with tea, hot chocolate and coffee.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
          I thought the panini sandwiches last time were great
          Agree, they always hit the spot at that venue. But this clinic is in another state - not sure if they will be able to do paninis there.

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
          From a rider perspective, I'd suggest something that is easy/not too messy to eat, and light enough that those who are riding after lunch can have a little something that isn't too heavy. Chili is great in the fall, but I wouldn't want to have a bowl of that and then try to ride! (But maybe for the auditors, it would be great...LOL)
          Agree with this also - the riders usually seem to prefer something not too heavy. Spectators, OTOH, tend to want something more filling - esp. on a cooler day.

I had to laugh - just prior to a previous clinic, the chef mentioned he was going to do pulled pork sandwiches. I said, "Hmm, some folks don't do pork, and the riders may feel that is too heavy." Of course, then they went through the pork, and baked beans and dessert like there was no tomorrow, and were disappointed there wasn't more. So at the next event, he smoked another pork shoulder for sandwiches - and some folks complained because they didn't like pork.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by CatPS View Post
            Best: Hot baked ziti. I think they also offered mac and cheese, baked beans, and several other dishes at that one. It was a cold day (30s!) and you could tell everyone felt better after lunch.
            Worst: Premade sandwiches/wraps. I hate mayo, and about 95% of premade sandwiches and wraps involve mayo or mystery goo of some sort. So I usually end up just eating the chips and cookie offered on the side, which does not make for a happy afternoon auditor.
            Ziti, mac & cheese, etc., sound great, esp. for a cold winter day. Part of the concern is having enough food - they have no idea whether how many people they will need to feed each day. Having been involved in providing food for WB inspections, I can tell you categorically that no matter how many people you think are going to come, you will be WRONG. Your best guess may be 20 people and you end up with 40, or you may plan for 40 and only have 15-20.

Comment

At a clinic series I used to go to, someone always brought hot apple cider. Like the real kind with a bag of spices in it. It was a huge hit! That might be because I live in the great white north, but it might be nice if it's cold and windy. And it was a nice treat for my horse, too;-)

Comment

Originally posted by beckzert View Post
                At a clinic series I used to go to, someone always brought hot apple cider. Like the real kind with a bag of spices in it. It was a huge hit! That might be because I live in the great white north, but it might be nice if it's cold and windy. And it was a nice treat for my horse, too;-)
                This was done at a show I went to. It's easy enough to buy some from the store and use a crockpot to keep it hot/mull it with spices. It sold better than hot chocolate.

Bite-sized baked ravioli or pierogies with a choice of toppings (peppers and onions, cheese, marinara, etc) with chili on the side (which could also double as a topping) might cover most of the bases of a vegetarian choice, light-ish, and warming for a cold fall day. Salt potatoes are usually a hit and cheap to make too.

Comment

I wish we had food at our clinics

Comment

Worst: Premade sandwiches/wraps.
                    Agree completely.
                    I love mayo, so that part doesn't apply, but baked beans and mac n cheese will win over a premade sandwich in my eyes every time.

Of course, my "worst" clinic lunch was when I was the Before Lunch ride, and after I spent 10 minutes MAX putting the horse away I emerged from the barn to discover Everyone Else Had Left to go to lunch together with nary a word, so I was by myself on the farm and had to unhitch my truck by my lonesome and find the nearest Subway.
                    So following that experience any lunch at which I am not completely abandoned by everyone else is already a few points ahead. Even if they serve sardines and brussel sprouts.
                    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I don't get out much anymore

But the last clinics I went to, both as rider & auditor, had a selection of deli meats & cheese to make your own sandwich or just munch w/o bread.
                      Supplemented in cold weather with a crockpot of soup.

Along with fresh fruit and some bakery or homemade(!!!) cookies this was sufficient lunch for me to ride after or keep me stoked sitting in the bleachers.

Also like to have sodas and bottled water along with the everpresent coffee.
                      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

During the colder months we like to do soup, in fact for our up coming clinic we will have butternut squash/apple soup, cream of asparagus, probably potato soup. We like to have sandwich makings, cold cuts and tuna fish, chips and dip both potato and tortilla with homemade guac, we often have leftovers from our Friday dinners, like roasted veggies (bell peppers, yellow squash, zuccinni potatoes. I usually provide most of the food with a couple of others bringing dishes.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by khall View Post
                          During the colder months we like to do soup, in fact for our up coming clinic we will have butternut squash/apple soup, cream of asparagus, probably potato soup. We like to have sandwich makings, cold cuts and tuna fish, chips and dip both potato and tortilla with homemade guac, we often have leftovers from our Friday dinners, like roasted veggies (bell peppers, yellow squash, zuccinni potatoes. I usually provide most of the food with a couple of others bringing dishes.
                          I *love* my butternut squash/apple soup recipe! Yum!

Comment

When I used to host the RPSI inspections, I'd order a variety of pannini from Panera -- but those were held in the summer and it was hot.

For this time of year, I'd vote for chili that can be kept warm in crock pots: one with meat and another vegetarian (3 bean/veggie) vegetarian chili -- with nice loaves of crusty, rustic bread for dunking.

Easy peasy. The Foodnetwork.com has some great chili and vegetarian chili recipes. Yum
                            www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                            "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                            Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

At our shows chicken pot pie and quiche with a side salad are big sellers. Soup is nice too if it's a bit on the cool side, which it seems to be when you are auditing, lol.

Comment

Speaking for the large part of the population that is lactose intolerant (and there's more of us than you realize) - make sure that at least one of the options for lunch is "cheese optional". Having nothing but ziti or mac&cheese can be gastro-intestinaly distressing, and even worse if you have to ride afterward!

But chili, stew, and casseroles are usually a good choice that are easy and can be light enough for most people.
                                Here Be Dragons: My blog about venturing beyond the lower levels as a dressage amateur.

Comment

Not from a clinic, but from horse show lunch experience, so YMMV.

Best all-around: assemble-your-own pasta, with a big warming dish full of naked pasta, then a variety of sauces in crock pots, with another pot of meatballs, another of roasted veggies, with a veggie tray and some nice crusty bread. I'm willing to guess something like 90% of the carrots on the veggie tray ended up in the mouths of horses. I think it was cupcakes and fresh fruit for dessert.

Best concept which requires better execution than I witnessed: assemble-your-own taco/nacho bar. Choice of beef, turkey, or beans. The challenge was that some people just wanted a "taco salad" sans wrap/shell, and there were no bowls. Also very messy, not very portable, and some people are more... um, effected?... by beans and salsa.

Easiest concept that took the longest to execute: make-your-own grilled cheese. This was actually at an event, not a show. Wonderful plan, but the cook got very backed up, and most of us had to run out the door with a sizzling sandwich in our hands! But that swiss/tomato/spinach/horseradish sandwich was MIGHTY tasty!

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post

Of course, my "worst" clinic lunch was when I was the Before Lunch ride, and after I spent 10 minutes MAX putting the horse away I emerged from the barn to discover Everyone Else Had Left to go to lunch together with nary a word, so I was by myself on the farm and had to unhitch my truck by my lonesome and find the nearest Subway.
                                    So following that experience any lunch at which I am not completely abandoned by everyone else is already a few points ahead. Even if they serve sardines and brussel sprouts.
                                    I just gave such a loud and long heartfelt "AWWWWW" on your behalf the 1 year old spawn toddled up to me and shook his head "nooooo". He feels for you too. That STUNK.
                                    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

Someone said "sellers".

I never sold lunch. Lunch was included with the clinic or inspection as a hospitality gesture.

Guess I missed the boat on this one...

But it was worth the expense for all to have a really great time and not go hungry.
                                      www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                                      "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                                      Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by erniewalker View Post
                                        Not from a clinic, but from horse show lunch experience, so YMMV.

Best all-around: assemble-your-own pasta, with a big warming dish full of naked pasta, then a variety of sauces in crock pots, with another pot of meatballs, another of roasted veggies, with a veggie tray and some nice crusty bread. I'm willing to guess something like 90% of the carrots on the veggie tray ended up in the mouths of horses. I think it was cupcakes and fresh fruit for dessert.

Best concept which requires better execution than I witnessed: assemble-your-own taco/nacho bar. Choice of beef, turkey, or beans. The challenge was that some people just wanted a "taco salad" sans wrap/shell, and there were no bowls. Also very messy, not very portable, and some people are more... um, effected?... by beans and salsa.
                                        These are GREAT ideas!
                                        Here Be Dragons: My blog about venturing beyond the lower levels as a dressage amateur.

Comment

Working...
                                        X