• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The only thing better than eyes on the ground...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only thing better than eyes on the ground...

...is a horse who tells you when you get it right, and when you... don't.

My guy was a bit confused about some of the lateral work, canter transitions, just generally feeling like the waters were muddy. Then finally got it... and I badly sprained my back. After months of recovery, I'm starting to ride half decently again, and it's amazing how much he's helping me! My left leg had a tendency to go dead on me as I was recovering, and I haven't fully had control of the left leg and seatbone. So today was a day of lateral work, and when I got it right he just floated sideways, and when I didn't, he didn't do much besides tense up a little.

Pretty much no eyes on the ground could correct me as quickly as he can, and I'm SO lucky to have a horse who works with me so well, yet is so in demand of correct, precise riding.
    Originally posted by Silverbridge
    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

I have one of those Absolutely priceless
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

You MUST speak of a TB lol

You have to do it just so with those guys

Quick reaction refine the aids to a crazy degree too!
      ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
      http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yep, my old TB mare was one of those. She did as much or more to teach me to ride than any instructor or clinician. She was in her twenties when I had her and was a wise old bird. Ears would get pinned and I would get nasty sideways looks when I wasn't riding the way she thought proper...

My current TB mare is currently engaged in refining my aids. She has decided she will no longer respond to non-independent leg aids (i.e., if one leg is pushing her sideways, she will not respond if the other leg gets in the act inadvertently). She's pretty nice about it, though, and is very willing and gracious if we get into a tight spot.

My gelding (also a TB) will play nasty on me... failure to use the outside rein properly will result in him going right into the arena wall.

Gotta love these horses...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
          You MUST speak of a TB lol

You have to do it just so with those guys

Quick reaction refine the aids to a crazy degree too!
          I have a feeling my WB won't be much different once she gets going under saddle!

I remember the day I realized my horse would not canter unless I properly lifted the inside seatbone. Which freed up the rest of me for any other cues for anything else I needed, as he responds to the seatbone immediately and correctly every time. We were playing with simple changes on a right circle yesterday to see if I could really use my left seatbone as I wanted, and sure enough it only took a few tries for me to figure out how to correctly lift it.
          If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

You are so lucky. When I give the wrong aid my gelding grunts loudly at me.

Comment

I immediately completed that subject line with "...a good horse between your legs" even before I opened this thread.
              "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

Sounds like the smart lazy TB that will only do it right if you ask correctly. If you ask the least bit incorrectly, he can and WILL cheat!

Comment

Cheat? It's the rider's responsibility to ask correctly and help by staying balanced and with the horse.

To force it when the rider is wring is not only poor horsemanship, it shows an inability on the rider's part to learn to partner with their horse and create the harmony that is dressage.
                  "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Velvet View Post
                    Cheat? It's the rider's responsibility to ask correctly and help by staying balanced and with the horse.

To force it when the rider is wring is not only poor horsemanship, it shows an inability on the rider's part to learn to partner with their horse and create the harmony that is dressage.
                    Yep.

My horse was more forgiving of mistakes before he had all his buttons he has now because it was less confusing. But once he started getting more buttons... well, he hated getting things *wrong*... Definitely NOT lazy - he'll just keep motoring in a nice, forward, full of impulsion trot or canter, forward walk, whatever, if what I ask doesn't make sense rather than do something wrong. On the other hand, if I scramble my signals but they appear to be asking for something else, he will surprise me with beautiful lateral work I didn't intend to request.... Then I just give him a pat and check in with what the heck the rest of me is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Velvet View Post
                      On the other hand, a lot of people never get anywhere because they never allow themselves to do anything even the slightest bit wrong.

If I had waited, two years ago, until I was the rider I am today before trying stuff on for size, I never would have become the rider I am today. If today I wait until I can give half pass aids and tempi cues with the precision of a confirmed GP trainer, I will never even DO half passes or tempis. So I muddle along with a not-quite straight enough back and probably my weight not exactly where it should be and probably my horse is suffering confusion as a result. Shucks.

Don't assume that you are doing it "correctly" today. In the grand scheme of things you are just doing it "less right" than you will do it tomorrow. And tomorrow you will be doing it "less right" than you will do it next year.

May as well make peace with it.
                      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                        Don't assume that you are doing it "correctly" today. In the grand scheme of things you are just doing it "less right" than you will do it tomorrow. And tomorrow you will be doing it "less right" than you will do it next year.
                        But that's the beauty of riding... you're always improving, and if you are on a sensitive horse and listen to what he's telling you with his responses, you get better every day. I hope even if I were #1 in the world I would still be trying to improve. My horse makes it easy - I am becoming a far better rider than I thought I could be by now because of him, and yet every day how far I have left to go seems to grow. But it's such a fun journey!

Comment

We had an older ASB as a school horse - he was a delight to ride, but if you gave him mixed signals more than once, he quietly walked to center ring and camped out. There he stood until you got it right. He simply figured he didn't know how to canter/trot/back/halfpass all at once, so he'd wait 'til you figured out which one you wanted first.

C
                          www.ayliprod.com
                          Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

Originally posted by netg View Post
                            But that's the beauty of riding... you're always improving, and if you are on a sensitive horse and listen to what he's telling you with his responses, you get better every day. I hope even if I were #1 in the world I would still be trying to improve. My horse makes it easy - I am becoming a far better rider than I thought I could be by now because of him, and yet every day how far I have left to go seems to grow. But it's such a fun journey!
                            My point is that people (history, the world, etc, not just you) tend to view "Today" as "Doing it right." The figgy pudding model of the atom was "the right way" BEFORE, but TODAY's model is RIGHT. As if science is not going to develop our knowledge of the atom ever again.

So saying, "My horse listens when I do it right" indicates you think you are doing it right today, using as evidence the fact that he listened.

Who is to say he isn't letting you get away with with the figgy pudding?

ETA: Not accusing anyone of riding incorrectly. Just noting that the logic in that particular type of circle of thought tends to be "today confirming" and forget about the "figgy pudding." I ride figgy pudding all the damn time, but we still muddle on through.
                            The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                            Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                            Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                            The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

• Original Poster

I get the point - and agree.

"Right" means the currently not-as-refined-as-someday aids, for sure. Better than or at least as good as yesterday, but only right for a moment in time until right improves even more.

But it means NOT letting me get away with the mess of yesterdays... only forward, onward, better.

Comment

I think there is a balance to be had in that.

There is a time to muddle through and get a feel for it and correct as you go and there are times to make sure your prep work is in order and NOT do it until that is the case.

Have a few bad changes? Doing more does not result in better most times as MOST changes are bad from the prep on.

Same with lengthening IMO and Half pass and so on.

You can do a few crappy ones and let it glaringly show you that the horse behind/in front/not supple/not strong and so on so that is IMO
                                ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                                http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

I think "I'm not ready" vs "You're goofing things up" tends to be a fairly distinct difference in what response you're getting from the horse. So yes that definitely matters, but I think it comes back to paying attention to what the horse is telling you. And knowing your horse - my horse is a trier, and won't try to get away with anything, but if confused will not do what I want since he needs me to be clearer. Mom's Friesian cross is short on talent, but also a simpler ride. In general if she's not doing something, it's simply because she doesn't feel like it. It helps that she has far less training than my horse so I am typically pretty sure of myself and that she fully understands with her vs. my TB. The TB is definitely ready for more challenges and when I ask correctly enough gives me what I want. My clinics with a biomechanics instructor are a blast because with the headset and her telling me what to do, I essentially become a puppet on her vocal strings - and it's nice how well my horse can do pirouettes and all the lateral work when someone's helping me ask in a more correct and precise manner.

Comment

Working...
                                  X