• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

French School "Workshop!"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, i have a question about the Ted video - how does he go from the walk/halt/leg yield/RB to baby piaffe? it is not shown and i cant get my brain to fill out the steps... IY can you fill in the blanks for me?

Comment

• Use of the rein technique (flexion/hh)/whip touches/hh...walk is forward, halt is hh, rein back folds the hindlegs diagonally (as in trot/piaffe), then touch with whip and hh (for me more clearly).

To be higher (use vertical hh) that will fold the hind leg which in turn produces more thrust in the piaffe.
      I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• In the Ted vid there is alot of editing so I may also be missing something - however it seems that after having gone through several basic exercises, the handler - at @ 3:39 positions Ted at a halt. Then at @3:44 he backs him up (the hind legs are spread out kind of wide reminding me of a horse just trying to coordinate his reculer a little). Then at @3:53 he asks Ted to take a few steps of energetic walk, the he lifts his whip to the hind quarter and Ted begins his energetic steps toward the piaffe. At @ 4:03 it starts to become a little bit better piaffe.

Personally I like this video of a young one working and starting piaffe. It is clear that Ted is a forward mover, that he looks relaxed and trusting of his handler. The handler is displaying tact. Overall it is a harmonious vid.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbm View Post
          i am curious how you got him to take higher step?
          He has continued to offer higher steps in progression. He will lift the leg hold it for a moment then step forward/down. Its still not quite stretched as the videos/photos show but Ive only just now allowed the forward steps to come very slowly-and the steps are still small at this stage. Just working at slowly and deliberately--with clear aids/request/release/praise. Its still more of a bended knee movement--but as I said I have only just begun to allow a forward step. There is a lot of praise for the correct response and the sessions are very brief. He seems to do best just before dinner--and then dinner is the reward. He also seems to like this work--which is nice, very quick and clever.
          Redbud Ranch
          Check us out on FB

Comment

• Ok, I am mixed up. Are we talking about piaffe and higher steps?? Or another horse with spanish walk???

For spanish walk you have to play with single reactions and where the horse reacts to a touch (lower or higher on back of leg) and sometimes front of leg (to get them to extend it). Always have it follow from the hind stepping to the foreleg lifting/extending. Lift the rein slightly as well, lifted higher they will lift/extend more. Remember it is spanish WALK, not pawing the air. It should take very few sessions to slowly add amplitude. But if the horse just lifts and extends they will park out. Keep the purity (to have a horse like Marduck).
            I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• i am asking about both.

GP how exactly are you getting Jack to do the higher step? what aids are you giving?

this is one of those things where i have a total brain block and i cant imagine how it is done

same with the baby piaffe - i get the progression of the Ted video - but there is a gap in the video sequence - and that gap is exactly where my brain gap is too! i get all the exercises used, and i can reproduce them all.. however i dont see/grok how they will produce a trot step/baby piaffe?

Comment

• is there any video that shows how to teach spanish walk?

Comment

• Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
                  Ok, I am mixed up. Are we talking about piaffe and higher steps?? Or another horse with spanish walk???

For spanish walk you have to play with single reactions and where the horse reacts to a touch (lower or higher on back of leg) and sometimes front of leg (to get them to extend it). Always have it follow from the hind stepping to the foreleg lifting/extending. Lift the rein slightly as well, lifted higher they will lift/extend more. Remember it is spanish WALK, not pawing the air. It should take very few sessions to slowly add amplitude. But if the horse just lifts and extends they will park out. Keep the purity (to have a horse like Marduck).
                  Sorry, MBM asked how we had gotten higher steps--and it is very much dealing with single reactions---we are just now adding forward but I did see the disconnect on the first attempt--second attempt brought the hind leg along. In Hand work is very much an Art--just like all of riding/training--and yes, a "Marduk" Spanish walk would be ideal--but we are just beginning this work, far from a finished product as the Ted Video mentions.

As Ideayoda mentions you have to play with the touches to find the best reaction spot--his seems just above the pastern--a light touch of the whip. You do have to be somewhat quick going back and forth to make a coordinated movement. He has just offered higer steps in progression. Last nights session was very good (considering its only just been introduced)---nice clear steps with some height but not so much reach---but again I think the forwards steps will allow for more extension/height in the leg.

There is a very brief description of teaching the Spanish walk in Anja Berans book if you have it.
                  Redbud Ranch
                  Check us out on FB

Comment

• Work one side (ie the near side) within the progression of the walk (after the horse offers a reaction at all). THEN change to the other side and do some reactions on that fore leg. One does not go back and forth (left/right) until one reaction is well developed. Reach is part of the walk purity (not just l/r) which can really foul the walk and why s.w. is often thought of as a negative.
                    I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Lost track of which french thread 'flexions' were being discussed on, but here are some done by Branderup that you can actually see .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzdAN...eature=related

Comment

• Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
                        Work one side (ie the near side) within the progression of the walk (after the horse offers a reaction at all). THEN change to the other side and do some reactions on that fore leg. One does not go back and forth (left/right) until one reaction is well developed. Reach is part of the walk purity (not just l/r) which can really foul the walk and why s.w. is often thought of as a negative.
                        Yeah this is how I started--just working one leg one side at a time and then switch legs/sides. He offers more which is how I got to alternating touches. Its understood about the walk purity-but he also must take a forward step to bring the hind along-rather than just offering a leg (which is where we started). The progression has been quick/straight forward and quite interesting. I finished off my ride today with him working just a couple of alternate steps---will see what happens tonight since this seems to be when he is happiest to offer more.
                        Last edited by goodpony; Oct. 29, 2012, 06:11 PM.
                        Redbud Ranch
                        Check us out on FB

Comment

• I posted this last night but apparently I was too late. Last night in our working session I was able to get something that is starting to look like a Spanish Walk--just a few steps but connected and straight. Its been great fun learning and Im amazed by how quickly he's grasped the idea and is offering more.
                          Redbud Ranch
                          Check us out on FB

Comment

• Originally posted by BaroquePony View Post
                            Lost track of which french thread 'flexions' were being discussed on, but here are some done by Branderup that you can actually see .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzdAN...eature=related
                            Thanks BP!! and I'll add that I also refer to J. Froissards book with tons of photos on the flexions. Some one else posted it previously during the discussion on Flexions, and I'll post it again - Here it is online (in Google books for now): http://books.google.com/books?id=aaC...ed=0CDMQ6AEwAw
                            Page down to the glossary, then click on Flexions to go there faster.

I do some of them before each ride on my youngster ( just in a snaffle for now)and he relaxes and chews into them immediately - the rides are so much better.

Comment

• Those flexions are both lateral and longitudinal, and I believe they show the "indirect rein of opposition", where the inside rein effects the outside, or opposite ('opposition'), hind leg.

I have another video that shows more of the strict longitudinal flexions, but I have to go hunt for it. I'll be back.

ETA: I am discussing only the in-hand work at the very beginning of the video. My apology for forgetting to explain that.
                              Last edited by BaroquePony; Oct. 30, 2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Those shown by BB are NOT flexions (at the atlas/axis) they are bending the neck at the root/withers. And it clearly shows what happens when that happens, the horse falls onto the outside shoulder. IF the horse were going straight ahead and was thusly flexed it would fall sideways. Imho not traditional by any school.

The purpose of lateral flexions (progressive ones) is to lead to longitudinal flexion over time. They cannot be mixed together.

But the worst part of such lateral bending of the neck is the horse learns to break at the third vertebrae/go btv. Don't care for it at all!
                                I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• ideayoda, fair enough (let me find the other video first), but I do use that when I am on certain horses. I am NOT saying it is classical, I do not know if it is, but I use it because it works on some horses in helping them understand without creating tension.

ETA:

It is however mentioned in U.S. Cavalry methods. I think of that as classical, but it may not actually be 'classical'. It is military riding from eons of practicing what works for training horses that will be galloped across fields and still come back into "the hand" and collect for tight manuvering.
                                  Last edited by BaroquePony; Oct. 30, 2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Abkauübungen nach Philippe Karl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFo92...feature=relmfu

Don't understand a word of it.

Comment

• ideayoda, I think we are discussing different flexion exercises that are not particularly related.

ETA: I forgot to ad that I was only discussing the very beginning of the video with the in-hand work/flexions only. My apology.

Comment

• ideayoda, I totally agree with you on Branderups flexions in the saddle. Overbent neck, complete loss of any energy that might have been generated from the hindquarters.

Comment

• (Imho it does not show an indirect rein either).
                                          I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Working...
                                          X