• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

French School "Workshop!"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    It does not help with the 'how to' discussion of training technique. Ideally, all the riders would not be fat. Do you comment on fat riders also??
    Oh brother. Who appointed you the forum police?

Oh that's right, no one did.

The pony's weight is a probable serious HEALTH issue. For the PONY.

You can't -- nor should you, imo -- try to stop people from commenting on forums. Let me remind you, this is a discussion forum, and threads do wander off topic. For example, as when a poster chastises others for commenting on a video.

Do you want to go back to the discussion of counted walk or whatever the current workshop exercise is or keep arguing about how no one should voice opinions about posted videos??

Comment

• OK now back to our regularly scheduled thread. I found these old gravures from "The Classical Riding Master" by Baron Eisenberg a book I have in my library -

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...4/78644re1.jpg

which lead perfectly into the levade or even (eventually) the terre a terre - but the hind legs have to have "angle and crouch" if you will:

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...4/78644we1.jpg

Don Jose D'Atayde (Portugal) used to teach us the school halt before attempting the levade. Hard - its true - to keep both front legs on the ground together but it definately can be taught to the horse - He used to say this will create a more even levade (when refering to the front legs).

What say U???

Comment

• Originally posted by CFFarm View Post
        I was commenting on what I, myself, in my opinion, personally saw in the video. By what I, myself, in my opinion, personally saw in the pony's body language and attitude there was little education going on other than performing for a reward. I'm sure the handler is a wonderful trainer, rider and pays her taxes. All are welcome to disagree with what I, myself, in my opinion, personally saw. How is a critique of my comment anything but negative?

IMHO pony needs to lose some weight......

carry on.....
        MBM- she said it in the manner I was typing.
        “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
        ? Albert Einstein

Comment

• Much to delight one here . . .

For partisans of the School of Legerete, or merely those wishing to learn more, you might also wish to investigate this web site; some of the articles can be read in whole or in part for free. (I have no commerical affiliation with them):

http://horsesforlife.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by belgianWBLuver View Post
            OK now back to our regularly scheduled thread. I found these old gravures from "The Classical Riding Master" by Baron Eisenberg a book I have in my library -

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...4/78644re1.jpg

which lead perfectly into the levade or even (eventually) the terre a terre - but the hind legs have to have "angle and crouch" if you will:

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...4/78644we1.jpg

Don Jose D'Atayde (Portugal) used to teach us the school halt before attempting the levade. Hard - its true - to keep both front legs on the ground together but it definately can be taught to the horse - He used to say this will create a more even levade (when refering to the front legs).

What say U???
            That the drawings are about as useful as drawings of faeries.

If the pony video is so sucky, how's about one of the practitioners of perfection around here supply us with some video of their 'theory' based perfection.

So far there seems to be plenty of worship of theoretical ideals, yet none of the ideal is available to examine. Does it even exist? Then I say stop picking on the poor pony and show us. That would answer some folks questions about 'is it right?'
            "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

• Hey! No picking on the faeries!
              ? Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
                That the drawings are about as useful as drawings of faeries.

If the pony video is so sucky, how's about one of the practitioners of perfection around here supply us with some video of their 'theory' based perfection.

So far there seems to be plenty of worship of theoretical ideals, yet none of the ideal is available to examine. Does it even exist? Then I say stop picking on the poor pony and show us. That would answer some folks questions about 'is it right?'
                What is your problem? Is that you with the fat pony?? lol

Comment

• Originally posted by horsefaerie View Post
                  Hey! No picking on the faeries!
                  Fair enough. I forgot there was one in the room.
                  "Friend" me !

Comment

• Originally posted by grayarabpony View Post
                    What is your problem? Is that you with the fat pony?? lol
                    I find that standing aside or astride a 'pleasantly plump' beastie makes me look thinner, in comparison.
                    "Friend" me !

Comment

• Originally posted by goodpony View Post
                      I too am interested in book recommendations for the in-hand work especially. I am also curious as to the type of bit used in this work (is it normally a snaffle or something more advanced)---I don't recall what the pretty pony was wearing. TIA
                      asking again, TIA I am chiefly interested in the In Hand work. Im impressed with the immediate results I was able to achieve using some of the ideas presented here and would like to explore the In Hand work further.
                      Redbud Ranch
                      Check us out on FB

Comment

• i gave you the name and links (even for a preview) for a very good book for the flexions and in hand work - it is also a good book on basic French theory ....it's upthread somewhere....

eta: oops, actually i think i posted it on the other French thread..... it really is a great book, inexpensive - cant beat that!

Comment

• This book may be Philippe Karl's, Long-Reining: The Saumur Method.
                          He has many other interesting works on amazon as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
                            This book may be Philippe Karl's, Long-Reining: The Saumur Method.
                            He has many other interesting works on amazon as well.
                            out of print and VERY HARD to find---very sad, as this looks like what I was looking for.
                            Redbud Ranch
                            Check us out on FB

Comment

• GP, there is another one out there. I can't remember the author. Let me see if I still have it or it is one that was lost.
                              ? Albert Einstein

Comment

• ideayoda:

I agree with baroque pony, there are many horses which suffer. But the solution to tense horses is not to back off per se, it is to understand WHY the horse became tense and speak to it differently.
                                ideayoda, think that through. Maybe define "tension" as it is being used. I would not/do not "push a horse through" much of anything. "Ask and you shall receive". No?

The horse becomes tense because I am the clutz to miss his "boundaries".

Comment

• goodpony, yes, some of the best books are out of print.

Comment

• A "driving surcingle" can be very useful providing the rings are in the right places and run smoothly.

The SRS drive their horses (mares ? anyone ?).

goodpony, driving manuals might be of great help. Driving and long lining are most likely related in the historical scheme of things.

Don't get tangled up in the lines. Don't carry the excess line in loops that might tighten up around your hands or feet should your pony spook.

Comment

• Originally posted by horsefaerie View Post
                                      GP, there is another one out there. I can't remember the author. Let me see if I still have it or it is one that was lost.
                                      Thanks HF, Im going to keep watching for the PK long reining book as it looks like something I would like to own (but at a little more reasonable priced then whats currently available used ($75 is the lowest Ive seen so far--I learned my lesson recently overspending on an Imported Book that ultimately a proved disappointing.). Maybe a treat for x-mass. Im not really able to clinic these days due to being deaf so I am a book junkie/hoarder and have to keep a limit on things.

If there are other alternates book recommendations I really would appreciate it. I already have most of what has been shared here in the reading lists.

Originally posted by BaroquePony View Post
                                      A "driving surcingle" can be very useful providing the rings are in the right places and run smoothly.

The SRS drive their horses (mares ? anyone ?).

goodpony, driving manuals might be of great help. Driving and long lining are most likely related in the historical scheme of things.

Don't get tangled up in the lines. Don't carry the excess line in loops that might tighten up around your hands or feet should your pony spook.
                                      I have actually done a fair bit of driving/long lining/lunging (or used to spend more time doing it than I currently do) So already have the necessary equipment and basic understanding. I do think my instructor is well versed Working In hand but I have not asked her to help me yet. At this point I would mainly like to educate myself on technique--more of an exploration. I always have plan b if something proves beyond my skill level. Lucky that way.
                                      Redbud Ranch
                                      Check us out on FB

Comment

• goodpony, I apologize.

Comment

• Originally posted by BaroquePony View Post
                                          goodpony, I apologize.
                                          Its ok, I ride a pony, he has a mind of his own--he reminded me of this fact last week while I was asking him to do some of the stepping over exercises. He was ignoring me (what, who, me?!--he has not done any in hand work for a while) so I popped him with the butt of the whip--and he tried to use his hind leg to remove the 'poker'. It was naughty--but also made me laugh because he did it more like a dog scratches its ear---sorta very slo motion like. He is now moving over much nicer.
                                          Redbud Ranch
                                          Check us out on FB

Comment

Working...
                                          X