• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff: "French School!"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will be honest - i loved CDK's books - and then i saw a video of him riding..... and I was shocked...... didn't quite add up to what i got from his books.... but that was years ago - before I had many of the epiphanies I have had - so know knows.... but still to this day i cringe when i hear his name.... maybe i should re-watch and see if i have changed my mind.....

his books are great tho and i have a bunch of them.

Comment

• (A french discussion which included cdK??)
      I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• I don't know what experiences you all have had with him but mine were only in the best light long ago when he happened to be in Germany I believe for a visit and I was fortunate enough to see him ride and work several horses. I learned alot and stillhold respect for him as a classisist.

Comment

• As for a book list - I own about 200 books on dressage i think.... what i consider useful or helpful or eye opening changes over time depending on where I am in my own education.

some of the books I consider a must have:

Suenig
          Steinbrecht
          Muesler
          DeCarpentry
          Klimke
          Podhasjky
          d'Endrody
          Stecken
          The German FN books
          Putz
          Boldt
          Schusdziarra (original version)
          Niggli
          Burger

the list goes on.... and on lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by belgianWBLuver View Post
            I don't know what experiences you all have had with him but mine were only in the best light long ago when he happened to be in Germany I believe for a visit and I was fortunate enough to see him ride and work several horses. I learned alot and stillhold respect for him as a classisist.

yeah, maybe what i saw was just a bad video..... or maybe i was more ignorant then than i am now? who knows.....

Comment

• (Seunig)....however, isnt this discussion about FRENCH school....so only Decarpentry qualifies (and as you know I have 497....but only about 35 that are french per se.)
              I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• So here's an important question. How can we connect the people with the desire to learn these methods, with those who can teach it?? I don't really have the ability to go to France to train with the Henriquets, or whatever... so how can this become more accessible for us little people who just want to progress in our learning more than books and practicing at home allow for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flying Hearts View Post
                  So here's an important question. How can we connect the people with the desire to learn these methods, with those who can teach it?? I don't really have the ability to go to France to train with the Henriquets, or whatever... so how can this become more accessible for us little people who just want to progress in our learning more than books and practicing at home allow for?
                  You can get a taste of some quality classical work by auditing some of the Bertrand Ravoux "lightness" clinics in Pennsylvania in 2013/2014/2015 - the link is http://pkinpa.com/ You are in Ohio right??
                  There are 3 in Pennsylvania and in Santa Fe, NM per year for the next 3 years.
                  This is a good place to start. After that you can begin searching for clinics given by instructors versed on the subject. However, I feel, by attending one or more of these "lightness" clinics the knowledge you gain will greatly help you to choose a good U.S. instructor; hopefully one not far from you. Not to mention meeting people with like interests to perhaps communicate with for more info.
                  Does anyone else have some suggestions??

Comment

• Do you think Henrequet teaches these methods? Not from what I have seen watching his wife and their students at there place. Perhaps at one point, but not any longer.

Watch Nichole W work.
                    I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Also, as to books which have to do with the french school:
                      Philippe Karl (three books), J.C. Racinet, Faverot de Kerbrech, James Fillis, Decarpentry (who wrote the fei rules), F. R. de la Guérinière (the basis of the SRS), Alexis L`Hotte, Nuno Oliveira, Michel Henriquet, Seeger, all of whom are very different takes.
                      I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
                        Do you think Henrequet teaches these methods? Not from what I have seen watching his wife and their students at there place. Perhaps at one point, but not any longer.

Watch Nichole W work.
                        Nichole W is coming to Santa Fe soon - I look forward to auditing - have heard many good things - will see for myself.

Henriquet still mentors Catherine in the classical method while they are working their horses young or older. He is getting old (aren't we all) so he doesn't teach all students anymore. That job is Catherine's or a groom (they have an additional instructor there now althought I don not know that person) depending on the level of the student of course.
                        All the ground work and long lining, flexions etc follow the classical methodes Michel has always practised.
                        Catherine - in order to compete - has gone the way of what is more commonly seen in the rectangle - and that is without a doubt - on most of her own horses. This discussion has been had already...

However they are all brought up in the classical methodes as they arrive on the premises.

Comment

• Originally posted by belgianWBLuver View Post
                          You can get a taste of some quality classical work by auditing some of the Bertrand Ravoux "lightness" clinics in Pennsylvania in 2013/2014/2015 - the link is http://pkinpa.com/ You are in Ohio right??
                          There are 3 in Pennsylvania and in Santa Fe, NM per year for the next 3 years.
                          This is a good place to start. After that you can begin searching for clinics given by instructors versed on the subject. However, I feel, by attending one or more of these "lightness" clinics the knowledge you gain will greatly help you to choose a good U.S. instructor; hopefully one not far from you. Not to mention meeting people with like interests to perhaps communicate with for more info.
                          Does anyone else have some suggestions??
                          Ditto this, and also check out other instructers from the PK Legerete program. More demand to ride / audit in the clinics here will hopefully encourage them to expand their locations in the U.S. PK is attempting to spread the info in a systemized way, as he recognizes there is a need, but it's early days in the U.S.

Also perhaps seek instructors who are riding in the PK classes? They are from all over their respective regions. At least some of the stronger students could help articulate / demonstrate the concepts.

You may have to hunt a little for an instructor that teaches/understands these ideas, unfortunately. The show world in my area seems quite far removed from these concepts, even at the lower levels.
                          Fear is the rocket sauce.
                          Jack Black

Comment

• I have two students which are in the program, refining their skills. And would comment that NW is the most articulate/detailed in explanations...there are a number of others which might come over if requested. Imho, is anyone as gifted a rider as PK, imho no...his aids/timing is the most clear.

Think that very few people really USE the lateral work to solve problems/develop their horses as per de la Gueriniere or Baucher. The (older) srs DO use them.
                            I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• i find it interesting that Baucher is experiencing something of a revival - both for his 1st manner (ie rollkur) and his 2nd.....

i just hope that "we" somehow are able to produce more correct trainer and riders - no matter what school - as that will benefit the horses the most.
                              Last edited by mbm; Oct. 25, 2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• For sure read Seeger on the effects of bfm.
                                I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Also, PK's Legerete video series should be added to any "book list" for French school.
                                  Ring the bells that still can ring
                                  Forget your perfect offering
                                  There is a crack in everything
                                  That's how the light gets in.

Comment

• This is actually from Wikipedia regarding Seeger/Baucher: "Louis Seeger had a chance to ride Baucher's horses and watch him work, and in 1852 published his criticism Herr Baucher und seine Künste - Ein ernstes Wort an Deutschlands Reiter, "Monsieur Baucher and his Methods".[1] His impression of the horses was poor, saying that they lacked energy and impulsion with the hindlegs dragging out behind them, especially at the trot, and the hindlegs were stiff. They were difficult to sit, dead to the leg, moved flat, and travelled on the forehand. Unsurprisingly, they could not take up even contact with the reins, and had great difficulty bending the joints of their hind legs, swishing their tail in displeasure when asked. They were also very stiff at the canter, including during the one-tempi flying changes, and could not collect, having a canter more hopping than a jumping motion. The piaffe was very incorrect, with stiff hind legs and the horses stepping sideways or backwards, the forelegs having little action since the horse was on the forehand, and the hind legs having most the action. The passage was stiff, instead of elastic and springy, and Baucher had to use a great deal of leg, spur, and whip to keep the horse going (contrary to the correct way, where the rider appears to be doing nothing at all). The horses would throw themselves around in the pirouette, instead of easily turning around.
                                    His method of severe bending of the horse's neck towards his chest and torso has also has had great criticism, many people believing that it is exceptionally harsh and uncomfortable for the animal. It is still employed today, however, with the methods of rollkur showing great similarities.
                                    Despite the criticisms of Baucher's harsh "first period", many trainers today are finding validity in the work he did during the second phase of his career. In particular, the flexions of the poll which Baucher developed, and the principle of "hand without leg, leg without hand", are to be found under slightly different terminology in the techniques of natural horsemanship."
                                    Redbud Ranch
                                    Check us out on FB

Comment

• Well, several times when I offered horses I trained for sale or had riders and trainers come to try the, they could not ride them!

I drape my leg. If you hop on and KICK you will meet some serious resistance. OR you will get the ride of your life. If you pull on their mouth and squeeze with the leg at the same time there is no telling what will happen. If you attempt to stop the horse with the reins, nothing will happen or tremendous collection depending. If you try to turn the horse with just the reins, the horse will continue straight ahead with his head turned.

If you let me explain how to ride them a big smile will come across your face. Light, forward and pleasant!
                                      “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
                                      ? Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
                                        Also, as to books which have to do with the french school:
                                        Philippe Karl (three books), J.C. Racinet, Faverot de Kerbrech, James Fillis, Decarpentry (who wrote the fei rules), F. R. de la Guérinière (the basis of the SRS), Alexis L`Hotte, Nuno Oliveira, Michel Henriquet, Seeger, all of whom are very different takes.
                                        I remember reading somewhere that most the old, old masters (including Germans and even the Duke of Newcastle) studied with the Italian, Pinnelli (forgive my spelling) at his school and took his ideas back home and adjusted the techniques to work with their local horses. So maybe it's really the Italian School?
                                        Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

• Originally posted by MelantheLLC View Post
                                          Also, PK's Legerete video series should be added to any "book list" for French school.
                                          The original "French School Bibliography" earlier in this thread I believe is Post#297.

Comment

Working...
                                          X