• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff: "French School!"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I got into roaching my horses' manes because I am lazy. BUT the added benefit is that you can see the damned beast's neck. And that alone, makes it worth doing. Truly.
    It IS hard hard to see with all that mane--was thinking today I need to do something with his mane.
    Redbud Ranch
    Check us out on FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
      I think a lot of people are unaware of how 'crooked'/tending to be banana shaped in one direction, most horses are. Therefore, they do not really see the need for the 'full body' release.

Most folks, addressing from the saddle point of view, only are aware of "well the horse is harder/heavier in this rein, but I don't know why..."

When you do the groundwork, you see how plain it is that the horses cross over/yield in one direction so much more easily that in the other. You see how much harder it is for them to shorten one side of their body, bring that hind leg across, step outward with the other leg, and bring their nose towards the inside when going toward that 'stiffer' direction.

But from the saddle, a person is only seeing the neck and feeling the rein. And so, they get stuck there.
      This is so true.

Comment

• "The Western people have it all in their hands if they want to study--done well, they might be the closest thing today to what's shown in La Guerinere. BTW, I've tried it in Western tack with my old guy, the one who I trained with Racinet, and we ROCKED!"
        LOVELEY!

Goodpony, sounds like you are on to something.
        Great!

When you do the flexions correctly, you will feel a click, a definate releasing of the jaw, of the poll, of tension. (release is VERY important on your part here) More important, watch the horse`s eye and see if it comes back to you if you are standing on the side. This is getting the horses attention, as the old masters said........"First you must have the eye of the horse, first you must have the ear of the horse." This is the relationship part that I was speaking about earlier.

Comment

• The article mentioned above contains problematic information imho. First of all the poll=the occipital lobe/the two bumps in front of the ears. That is not where (lateral) flexion occurs. The pix shows the 'flipping of the crest', but is excessive flexion for the first lateral flexibility with is done at the atlas/axis area (the pix show a bend more than a lateral flexion), and it shows a lowered posture. That lowered posture is fine to be able to take a pix of what the 'flipping of the crest' looks like, but it has nothing to do with the french methods of flexion (nor the german ones). Imho it is not what BH taught either.

The point of mild (then greater) flexion at the atlas/axis is to mobilize the jaw when the horse is up/open. The fdo comes AFTER this exercise. It takes only the lifting of the bit in the corners of the lips to indicate to the horse that it should start to mobilize the jaw (then chew/then swallow). These actions (all mentioned before) are done with horses of all levels, but they become virtually unseen as the horse develops more sensativity (as does the rider).
          I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
            It takes only the lifting of the bit in the corners of the lips to indicate to the horse that it should start to mobilize the jaw (then chew/then swallow). These actions (all mentioned before) are done with horses of all levels, but they become virtually unseen as the horse develops more sensativity (as does the rider).
            This is pretty much what I did with my guy--lifting the bit in the corners of the mouth--activating releasing the jaw-in actuality it seems a bit more like 'positioning' than 'bending'--at least that was what I was aiming for. The photos I would guess are exaggerated for clarity--guess we'll see if all that mane on my guy will stand straight up. Either way it should be fun trying.
            Redbud Ranch
            Check us out on FB

Comment

• Originally posted by goodpony View Post
              As mentioned I did not do anything fancy but did pretty much what is described in this article: Poll Suppling. In the images be sure to note the muscle just behind the ears at the top of the neck---its harder to see with on the side where the mane falls--but this is what I was watching for along with a release 'chewing'. It takes only very light/gentle pressure to elicit a response. Probably not important but my guy is currently working 2nd/3rd Level and is 7--so not a very young or very green horse and does have considerable training--already installed. I dont think I would hesitate to do 'bit flexions' on a greenie though. Certainly milder than disconnecting the neck that I sometimes see.
              GP you might want to check out the book "Classical Horsemanship for our time" here is a link to a preview... it does show, in the book - how to do flexions.....

i agree with Idea - because the pics shown on the link you posted do not look like correct flexion of the poll - but instead bending on the neck at the 3rd vertebrae?

AFAIK, when you do flexion at the poll the neck should not move and only the head move left/right - it may or may not get the crest to flip.....

Comment

• You are all welcome to post better illustrations---I feel confident that I did the bit flexions correctly with my guy based on the fact that I had a very positive response (activating/releasing the jaw=>swallowing and I have had them demonstrated to me) and actual results in my ride today.
                Redbud Ranch
                Check us out on FB

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by re-runs View Post
                  "The Western people have it all in their hands if they want to study--done well, they might be the closest thing today to what's shown in La Guerinere. BTW, I've tried it in Western tack with my old guy, the one who I trained with Racinet, and we ROCKED!"
                  LOVELEY!

Goodpony, sounds like you are on to something.
                  Great!

When you do the flexions correctly, you will feel a click, a definate releasing of the jaw, of the poll, of tension. (release is VERY important on your part here) More important, watch the horse`s eye and see if it comes back to you if you are standing on the side. This is getting the horses attention, as the old masters said........"First you must have the eye of the horse, first you must have the ear of the horse." This is the relationship part that I was speaking about earlier.
                  In fact, I just found the picture the other day, cleaning out a closet; the horse perfectly softly framed, on a visibly dynamic 4-track shoulder-in, ridden with one hand on a Western curb. No noseband. I was wearing a black Vaquero-style outfit and hat (yeah, I wear a BLACK hat but you knew that, folks! ) and the horse was as yielding and through as it is possible to be. The photo brought back the feel of that wonderfully! BTW, you can lift the withers wicked-good in a Western curb!

Comment

• I forgot to mention something else that happened in my ride today--he was 'high blowing' which he has never done before! How cool is that.
                    Redbud Ranch
                    Check us out on FB

Comment

• Swammp Yankee,

Would LOVE to see that picture. I bet you can remember how that felt right down to your toes!

Comment

• Curious...

Originally posted by goodpony View Post
                        I forgot to mention something else that happened in my ride today--he was 'high blowing' which he has never done before! How cool is that.
                        What does that have to do with Working correctly?
                        My Ottb always did that.

Comment

• The pix shown were plain ol incorrect, the low(er) posture may show more clarity, but the flexions were not correct but imho the worst part was the longitudinal flexion that was allowed. People copy what they see, and that is incorrect (whether one follows french or german...which was more the basis of the article).

But imho the worst thing (and the most contradictory to traditional training) in the article is to 'use the inside rein low/toward the direction of the inside knee.....oh gag. Talk about action onto the bars.....
                          I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Ideayoda:

Thank you so much for your input on this thread. I have been silent up to this point until Bodo was mentioned. I rode with him for quite a few years and never did he do anything like the "flexions" mentioned here with me on any horse I rode. I spent many days standing in the ring with him listening/ watching countless horses/riders he schooled and/or rode and I don't ever recall seeing him do anything as was mentioned here. Maybe I was absent that day. LOL!

Good pony: I am having difficulty finding the article you mention above and am very interested in seeing in particular pg 139. Can you post that for me or direct me to where I can find that particular page. Thanks.

Thanks Ideayoda.

Comment

• The article is in post 966...click on the 'poll suppling'.

Imho BH (RIP) did do the flexions, most riders from his time period (also mine) were taught to do so. But those shown are NOT them, and certainly not done in that manner.
                              I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Swamp Yankee:

Can you please explain to me how to lift the withers (in a western curb). Thanks

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by re-runs View Post
                                  Swammp Yankee,

Would LOVE to see that picture. I bet you can remember how that felt right down to your toes!
                                  Wish I could post it; no scanner, alas. As to how you lift the withers in a Western curb, it's easy! Because if he's been wearing one and going correctly for awhile, the horse already understands the yielding of jaw and poll.

All you have to do, at the halt or walk, is lift your rein-hand up high and vibrate the bit for a second or two; don't let him step backwards, though, which most have been taught to do.
                                  You should feel him "grow" in front by what feels like at least half a hand; and when you yield your hand in turn, he should be exquisitely on his haunches. Look at the really old illustrations in Pluvinel, La Guerinere and Newcastle and you wll see something very similar. Anyone who's ridden with the Portuguese or Spanish ecuyers jump in here and let us know if they're doing this, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post
                                    .......As to how you lift the withers in a Western curb, it's easy! Because if he's been wearing one and GOING CORRECTLY for awhile, the horse already understands the yielding of jaw and poll.
                                    This is a BIG sine quo non. And it also speaks to the nouvelle method of Baucher's effet d'ensemble (a simultaneous use of hands and legs to achieve balance and suppleness). And easily surprises the energy in the trot. This would not be done initially in a western/spade bit. And the effect d'ensemble is not the first exercise either.
                                    I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Originally posted by goodpony View Post
                                      You are all welcome to post better illustrations---I feel confident that I did the bit flexions correctly with my guy based on the fact that I had a very positive response (activating/releasing the jaw=>swallowing and I have had them demonstrated to me) and actual results in my ride today.
                                      its cool that you are getting good responses

if you purchase the book i mentioned (it is pretty inexpensive i think) it has a series of pictures that shows the flexions.... and it used to be there were shown in the online previews but i guess no more....

and yay for the high blowing !!!

Comment

• hey GoodPony! look what i found! images of flexions from Equitation
                                        by Henry L. de Bussigny

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Equitation/Chapter_12

(sorry, edited it is from a different book but still nonetheless what is generally shown in the french school books that i have)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sannois View Post
                                          What does that have to do with Working correctly?

The quote below may explain it better than I can.
                                          ‘The technique of breathing plays an important part in the performance of the horse, in the same way that it does with a human being. This technique will be the result of methodical training and will increase the powers of endurance. Excited horses, which do not carry the weight of their riders correctly, will be sooner out of breath and unable to produce as good a performance as well-trained horses. Regular breathing will reveal to the observer a physically and mentally well-balanced horse stepping with regularity. High blowing is a sign of well-being.’

----Alois Podhajsky in his book The Complete Training of the Horse and Rider.

My guy usually 'snorts' before going to work---the high blowing is something completely new for him. And Im intrigued by the idea that i may be related to the longer more elegant neck I saw yesterday.
                                          Redbud Ranch
                                          Check us out on FB

Comment

Working...
                                          X