• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff - Wanless.. look to the outside in circles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ttinghorse.jpg

Okay so this is pretty interesting, so I will add it. I am stealing from our beloved Mr. Matson.

This horse is turning right. If the rider turned herself right, she would fall off. Her horse is turning right, but her torso is facing left.

This photo is at the extreme end of the mechanics, so I think it demonstrates it pretty well. What would happen if this rider had turned her shoulders/torso to the right at this exact moment?

The same dymanics/mechanics/physics are at play on a larger circle and at slower speeds. But I think looking at this extreme could help clarify the RWYM 'fencing lunge' concept.
    "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

To my knowledge, the vertebrae (with connected ribs) of the horse actually have a little bump on one end that fits into a hollow spot of the next vertebrae ...

Because of the interlocking nature of their vertebrae (along with the general shape and structure which is very specific to horses ... not the same in cows, dogs, cats, ...), the spine doesn't just bend sideways in a uniform manner. The spine actually sort of "corkscrews" into a bend. In order for that to happen the horse has to lower the 'inside' hind leg and reach well underneath himself. When that happens the outside ribs spring/bulge out to the 'outside'.

Comment

I think many of you are saying the same thing, though in the first glance opposite to each other. The confusion I believe, comes from which moment you are talking about:

The natural trajectory of a moving object in a circle is flying straight off the circle (tangent).

So keep that in mind. The circle or the corner, if you put mini-frames to the whole series, is ridden in a tiny straight line followed by a tiny bend.

In that moment of tiny straight line, if you swivel inward, or god forbid, lean inward, you are in opposition of your horse, and in extreme case, like the one Isabeau posted, the rider is liable to fall off toward inside. In that photo, the horse is "ready" to make a turn, but he is still at the phase of "straight line", hence toward "outside".

Following that straight line, a force is applied, to change the bend of the horse, and to change direction.

In that tiny bend line. if you remains at your old tangent line, while the horse is bend to inside, again you are in opposition of your hose, and again, in extreme case, the rider is liable to fall off, this time toward outside.

This becomes more obvious when you ride a young horse that does not have enough strength to compensate and carry you through the minute phase of disharmony between you and the horse, most notably in circles. In a young horse, the straight line is longer, and with consistent training, the straight line becomes shorter.

Most of us riding mature horses don't think much about it, because we either are unconsciously doing it, or the horse is strong enough to compensate.

To be in perfect harmony with our horses is ideal, of course. Is it doable, all the time? I very much doubt it, not for 99.999% of riders anyway. Honestly this is getting too much study and science... As we all know we can't ride with our heads - or I would be one heck of rider. sigh....

Comment

Without dragging out my math and physics books ....

I'm pretty sure that when that horse's shoulders "drop" below a certain horizontal (to the ground) line, the dynamics change the equation, quite possibly by 90* (degrees), which is an entirely different ball game than the basic W/T/C on a 20m, 15m, or 10m circle and such.

The "rate of change" forward/sideways being employed by the "engine", combined with the "rate of change" of the front legs going sideways changes the original dynamic by a lot.

Note that her hips are still parallel to the hips of the horse.

Where she breaks away from the "textbook" is in the shoulders, both hers and her horse's, when going for a 90* fast change of direction and dropping the entire shoulder structure of the horse, most likely below the original center of gravity.

The only way to know for sure is to plug it all into a mutidimensional graphics program.

Comment

Originally posted by BaroquePony View Post
            Without dragging out my math and physics books ....

The only way to know for sure is to plug it all into a mutidimensional graphics program.
            The images of 'fencing lunge' and 'ice skater turning' are an attempt to give the rider a list of things to do, that will create the "multidimensional graphics" without pulling out the computer in the riding arena.
            "Friend" me !

Comment

Sort of an "introduction to sports and your body" kind of thing?

Comment

I think that Sally Swift's barber pole analogy works better here. It is a simpler way of describing how the rider must keep her inside knee and outside seatbone and rein ON when turning in a circle. The body spirals. Simple.
                "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
                  I think that Sally Swift's barber pole analogy works better here. It is a simpler way of describing how the rider must keep her inside knee and outside seatbone and rein ON when turning in a circle. The body spirals. Simple.
                  Do you think SS 'spiral' is saying the same thing as the RWYM 'fencing lunge?'
                  "Friend" me !

Comment

Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
                    Do you think SS 'spiral' is saying the same thing as the RWYM 'fencing lunge?'
                    I don't know. I have a hard time using the fencing imagery to describe turning or circling on a horse.
                    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
                      I don't know. I have a hard time using the fencing imagery to describe turning or circling on a horse.
                      Ditto. But then I have a hard time comparing what that cutting horse is doing to a proper 10 meter circle. Love the relaxed drape of the riders left arm, though. Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by alicen View Post
                        Ditto. But then I have a hard time comparing what that cutting horse is doing to a proper 10 meter circle. Love the relaxed drape of the riders left arm, though. Very cool.
                        The cutting horse photo was just something I grabbed on a quick search, and it does not reflect the exact moment I would hope for. I was looking for something that showed an extreme turn. The photo does show that the rider's torso is not, in fact, facing into the turn. Which was what the OP was about, facing to the outside of the circle. This is what MW is talking about, the mechanics of the rider torso facing to the outside. Like the ice skater, who's torso points to the outside of the circle while their foot turns them the opposite way.

In a large, slow(er) 20m circle it is going to be more subtle than a smaller, faster turn. But the mechanics of inside seat bone forward, outside seat bone back (which, if you keep the entire torso as a block or box, will turn the torso to the outside.)

Also, there is exaggeration involved when attempting to teach people(new concepts.) Although it is quite likely, as Mary always says (many, many times over....) that the change (most of the time) feels a lot bigger than it looks. And if you took a video of a rider doing what, felt to them like, an extreme fencing lunge on horse back, you might likely see something that looks like just a (maybe barely) little change.
                        "Friend" me !

Comment

My green horse was being "opinionated" today and I was having a difficult time doing a 20m circle, popping her shoulders, running out, stopping. Thought back to previous lessons, looked to outside ear, and ignored her antics. Perfect(for my new to dressage, former hunter/jumper trained) circle!! I was so crooked, looking where I was going that I was throwing her off balance. By looking where I was going, I mean I was looking to her inside ear.

Comment

I turn to the outside and it works---horse is balanced and not running out the outside shoulder.

You can also think of it as pointing your inside seatbone towards the horse's outside ear. This brings the seatbones closer to the spine, like in 11:00 and 5:00 (as opposed to 'neutral' at 9:00 and 3:00).

I find this much easier for me to do turning to the left than the right.

Comment

Yes I did go to the clinics at Saddlebrook a couple of times. Then we had Mary to 'my' farm for several years. Now I work with Lisa May, who is one of Mary's certified coaches. She is also Mary's age, and has made her own study of bodywork (Feldenkrais, I think?) and is very wise in her own right. We've given up on having Mary here for clinics right now. We can never fill them! But if we could get the people, we'd be very happy to do it again.

As for the part I have bolded above, it is not procedural knowledge. It does not tell one how to proceed. It's rather like saying "when you are flying, you should feel like you are going to say up in the air and not fall." Which is true, but it does not tell me how to get from the ground up into the air, or how to make all the little corrections and adjustments that will help me stay up there. Or how to compensate for the fact that I lack wings.....

Flying is surely not complicated when you are a bird. But for humans, developing flight was quite the trick. And still, it requires extensive detailed training to do it well.

For many of us riding is as difficult as flying. We require knowledge just as detailed as if we were learning to fly.

If someone is naturally more able to produce the mechanics of good riding, it might very well seem as simple a flying is to a bird. "Well you just jump off the tree branch, flap your wings, and don't fall." But for those of us that are less 'bird like,' it ain't that easy.

I am an avid reader, so I will add The Inner Game of Tennis to my list. Always interested in a good book. Especially one that grows my brain.
                              Yes, I get it better now what you are saying! I know I have a hard time describing how to do things. Just tell me what to do, not so much how. If I just have to figure out a way to make it happen on my own, it may take a few tries, but then I can really get it.

Comment

Are you still in NJ? I can give you Lisa May's email and you could try to get a lesson with her when she is in the area. Lisa is a sweet heart, and I can't imagine anyone not liking her.
                                Yes, I'm in NJ - Actually you came over to "my" farm to pick up a young mare to trailer back to DC to train with Gabriel for a week a few months back.

Did Gabriel bring you a foam finger from Gladstone?

Comment

Are you still in NJ? I can give you Lisa May's email and you could try to get a lesson with her when she is in the area. Lisa is a sweet heart, and I can't imagine anyone not liking her.
                                  Lisa May used to ride in the MW clinics I rode in in MD and she would sometimes work with one of the riders while Mary was working with the other. She helped me more than Mary did.
                                  I wasn't always a Smurf
                                  Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                                  "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                  The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                                    Lisa May used to ride in the MW clinics I rode in in MD and she would sometimes work with one of the riders while Mary was working with the other. She helped me more than Mary did.
                                    I've ridden with Lisa May too and really liked her. She is effective and nice.

What helps me on circles or turns is to think about pointing my belly button to the horse's outside shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by pony baloney View Post
                                      This brings the seatbones closer to the spine, like in 11:00 and 5:00 (as opposed to 'neutral' at 9:00 and 3:00).
                                      For good or for bad (probably good for horses and annoying for people), many years of equine association have strengthened my tendency toward literalness. Do you really mean to say that your seat bones move closer to your spine or that it feels as if the seatbones move closer to the spine?

Comment

I like to keep things simple and not over analyse too much. I keep going back to Dressage Today's June '11 issue with Laura Bechtolsheimer. She refers to physics and the broomstick theory; if holding a broomstick on your hand and it tips to the left your hand will automatically move to the left to keep the broomstick up. She states her upperbody is the broomstick and if it's tilting slightly left the horse will be naturally inclined to follow her weight to the left. She describes her position in bend, shoulder-in, travers and half-pass. She says in shoulder-in her hips will remain in the middle of the horse (always for every movement) and her shoulders follow the shoulders of the horse, she looks in the direction her shoulders are facing and just "checks" to make sure she's going straight. Essentially in all movements her eyes are following the horses eyes as well.

Comment

If you really want to simplify this... Most of us turn too much to the inside, which takes all our weight to the inside seatbone - we help our horse's fall in on the circle. The horse already wants to dip to the inside so we are already heavier to the inside following that dip.

If you look slightly to the outside - you automatically weight your OUTSIDE seatbone, and actually become even on your horse's back. Try it with your eyes closed at the walk on a circle and pay attention to your seat bone. It is a very simple way to equalize your seatbones. Eventually, the goal is to keep your eyes between your horse's ears, but first we have to get our seatbones evenly onto the horse, and our horse evenly under our seat.

A horse's spine has very little "bend" lateral - in reality on a circle, we move their ribcage to the outside to create the illusion of bend. And to do that, our seat must be centered and we must be able to ask the ribcage to slide over with our calf - it all sounds so easy

Comment

Working...
                                          X