• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Which judges do you *like*? Competitors and/or competition managers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I particularly apreciate a judge that is compassionate about a tough ride. Most recently apreciate Kristi Wysocki for such - did not give a score away, but was fair and compassionate (even helpful) with her comments.

Comment

not many are still around

Ginna la croix,

Is Gen. Burton still judging?most of he others I liked are either retired or dead
      breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

Originally posted by Carol Ames View Post
        Ginna la croix,

Is Gen. Burton still judging?most of he others I liked are either retired or dead
        I scribed for him earlier this year at Yarra Yarra Ranch in Dublin, California. He lives with his daughter in Arizona since his wife passed away. He bicycles almost 5 miles a day! He is fabulous!
        Bethe Mounce
        Head Trainer, AmeriCan Romance Equestrian
        https://www.facebook.com/AmericanRomanceEquestrian
        Brentwood CA

Comment

Originally posted by Bethe Mounce View Post
          I scribed for him earlier this year at Yarra Yarra Ranch in Dublin, California. He lives with his daughter in Arizona since his wife passed away. He bicycles almost 5 miles a day! He is fabulous!
          Gen. Burton's daughter posted this message on his Facebook account today....

"Thanks to all the people who wrote messages. Jack is 93 today and read through all of them. He is going out for mexican food tonight with friends for his birthday. He finally retired from judging this year, and his bike is now his only mount, but he rides it every day, and gets out with the dogs and gets outs out around Tucson. Thank everyone for your messages and thoughts!
          Judy Lewis (daughter) for Jack"

Comment

I think this is a useful thread, too ... show managers depend on competitor feedback but that only happens after they've made a good (or not so good) choice.

I wouldn't post negatives on a public forum, so this is more of a "highlight" list, IMO.

I have scribed for some crabby judges that I would show for in a heartbeat. I have scribed for some genial folk that I wouldn't waste entry fees on, not because of scoring but because of the quality of their attention (experienced by me over time, not just one day).

Having said that ... Sue Kolstrom is among the very very best judges, IMO. Her comments always reflect the directives (not always typical even with very good judges), which seems to be an important perspective if one is trying to influence the ability and understanding of riders as to what the test writers had in mind.

She's fair, sensible, and ... among my highest rated judges based on 20 years of scribing at all levels.
            *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

• Original Poster

It's that time of year again! Competitors and managers, who did you like and dislike this year, and WHY?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
                It's that time of year again! Competitors and managers, who did you like and dislike this year, and WHY?

Thanks!
                I rode for Debbie Riehl-Rodriguez several times this season and really liked her. She was very fair with comments that were on point and constructive. I also rode for Janet Foy at championships and again thought her feedback was spot on and helpful.

Comment

This year some of our shows opted for some new blood, and I was very impressed with these judges:

Gabrial Armando, FEI 4*, ARG
                  Claudia Mesquita, FEI 4*, BRZ <- probably my favorite
                  Mercedes Campdera, FEI 4*, MEX
                  Maria Colliander (Kaanos), FEI 4*, FIN

And of course, the usual Hilda, Axel, Cara, Joan Macartney. But also Brenda Minor, Marian Cunningham and probably a few others I am forgetting!!

Comment

Lots of the judges mentioned are ones I would have mentioned.... Charlotte Trentelman, Lilo, Sue Kolstead, Bill Woods, Gary Rockwell.......

For management teams, the folks who manage the Orlando Dressage Shows at Clarcona are great. I know their show Sec. was up at Lexington last week. (Gayle Whitty and Sandra Trussell)

Comment

I'd be interested to know what some define as "negative comments"...I rode a test this year that scored pretty well, at 70%, and for one of the movements, a downward transition, I got an 8 with a comment of "could have better balance". I loved it! From my perspective, judge was telling me how to move that 8 to a 9 or maybe a 10 someday. :-) But perhaps to others they'd be all "WTF - they gave me an 8 with a negative comment?" I dunno? I don't want rainbows and sunshine for comments on my test, even if I get good scores. If I scored an 8 that could easily be a 9 with some tweaking...tell me!

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Cook View Post
                        I'd be interested to know what some define as "negative comments"...
                        To me a negative comment is one that is just straight up rude and not constructive in any way. The comment you received is not what I would call negative at all - that comment is typical of the comments on every test. I have only received one comment ever that I thought fell in the negative/nonconstructive category - it was actually this summer. I was really upset at the time but it was from a very well respected judge. After letting it eat at me for a week or two after the show I decided that I just needed let it go and assume that it was either transcribed inaccurately or that I was interpreting it in a way that was not intended.

Comment

I love that Ida Anderson dresses in bright colors and sparkles. She makes me smile when I come down the CL. She is positive and I appreciate the fact that she is lightening up the atmosphere which at times can be just a bit too serious. Relax and ride!

Comment

The ''negativity'' often comes from the reader's point of view.

Technically, ''Could have better balance'' is not a negative comment. It would have been negative if is was written like that : ''not balanced'', ''unbalanced'', wasn't enough balanced'' and even then, paired with an 8, it just suggest that everything else in the movement was really correct.

I've got; ''Horse has potential for higher level.'' with 7 for the gaits, 6 for impulsion and submission and 5.5 for the rider... on our first attempt this summer at second level and scoring 61.8 something.

Does the judge mean that with another (better) rider, my horse would score higher? Of course. Does it mean that I suck as a rider that day (or everyday)? Of course.
                            Do I feel bad for myself? Nope (maybe a little). But for me, it means that I need to work harder on myself in order to showcase my horse better.
                            ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                            I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                            HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Years ago when I was riding an ex-PSG horse my first time at First level, we had a schoolmaster/dumb student moment where I accidentally cued some lovely flying changes in from of Lois Yukins. She was the *only* judge who recognized the relationship for what it was and had some great comments about what I could learn from the horse

There are a couple of local judges I love riding in front of for their accuracy and constructiveness of their comments.
                              "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

I rode for Mike Osinski this year and he was super encouraging, gave good comments and I really enjoyed the whole experience.

Comment

Ditto the thought on comments that are instructive on why not a higher score - two of my favorite comments were from Jeanne McDonald: one was on a disastrous ride where horse was coming unglued most of the ride at a championships, "tough situation today, but man do you know how to ride a half pass" saved my future riding career when I was really at the end of my rope, that comment did. The other was one a canter circle- release rein at 2nd level " only thing keeping this from higher score is canter quality" with a 9.

Agree with many of the great senior and FEI judges listed here, but as one who runs shows and holds a recently earned "r" judges card, let me put out a plea for folks to hire those small r's. They are well trained, and are supposed to be judging a lot to gain experience and develop their eye. Across the country this isn't happening. Most are willing to do short days, fill ins, co-judge, etc. as a manager, this can be helpful for scheduling if you need to break for your "S" judge but overfilled, can get a few intro-2nd classes done. Competitors love having an additional judge "combination" for scores if you have a co-judge situation. The small r is generally willing to prorate the day or offer other incentives...

I went out of my way to apprentice with judges I had appreciated riding for - Lilo, Louise Koch, Jeanne, Sandy Howard, Elizabeth Searle, and it was really interesting to see the methodology and demeanor. I really liked sitting with some of the r and R judges too for experience. They were still actively developing their style and were very supportive of their riders.

Very short list of judges that I'd not hire again, usually not for competency but high maintenance issues.
                                  Anne Howard, MPT
                                  American Sporthorse
                                  www.in-balance.com
                                  Watsonville, California

Comment

Hands down, Lois Yukins

Comment

Well, I don't know if I'd so much call what I've been unhappy with "negative" so much as "were they totally oblivious." Dressage at one starter HT here--so may or may not have been a licensed judge, as I can't decipher the signature on the test--horse was having a meltdown spooking at the potted plant at A, just being at tense, hollow monster every time we went past it. I, as a rider, was well aware that this was a problem, and that our scores would reflect that, as should have been evidenced by how the horse went at every point moving away from the Maw Of Death At A. So seeing "5-Tense" or "4 Mincing steps, lacking momentum" were not at all helpful, and some kind of acknowledgement of "horse spooking" anywhere on the test might have been appropriate. Versus the test I did at a licensed show with an R judge, who gave me a 5.5 for rider score with the comment "stirrups too long," which was a helpful comment that showed some understanding of what might be hindering me from getting a better score.
                                      A Year In the Saddle

Comment

Originally posted by JenEM View Post
                                        Well, I don't know if I'd so much call what I've been unhappy with "negative" so much as "were they totally oblivious." Dressage at one starter HT here--so may or may not have been a licensed judge, as I can't decipher the signature on the test--horse was having a meltdown spooking at the potted plant at A, just being at tense, hollow monster every time we went past it. I, as a rider, was well aware that this was a problem, and that our scores would reflect that, as should have been evidenced by how the horse went at every point moving away from the Maw Of Death At A. So seeing "5-Tense" or "4 Mincing steps, lacking momentum" were not at all helpful, and some kind of acknowledgement of "horse spooking" anywhere on the test might have been appropriate. Versus the test I did at a licensed show with an R judge, who gave me a 5.5 for rider score with the comment "stirrups too long," which was a helpful comment that showed some understanding of what might be hindering me from getting a better score.
                                        The judge has to comment on what they see at that time - tense, or short steps are valid comments.

I think of negative or useless comments such as "rider too small for horse", "thunder", "bad", "this breed can't..." etc - useless comments (and yes, I've seen all these on dressage tests over the years). Judges are not suppose to TEACH, they are suppose to let you know what is wrong and/or right with the movement. With a score of 6 or lower, the judge is suppose to comment on why it wasn't a higher score, then with scores of 8 or higher, it is a good practice to let a rider know what is needed for an even higher score (or let them know whey they scored so well). They can only comment on what they see at that moment, not conjecture on what might have been or what might be. The rider should be aware of what is going on w/ the ride! I'd be more bothered if you got back scores and comments and felt like "that was NOT what I felt"...

Comment

Originally posted by sporthorsept View Post
                                          Ditto the thought on comments that are instructive on why not a higher score - two of my favorite comments were from Jeanne McDonald: one was on a disastrous ride where horse was coming unglued most of the ride at a championships, "tough situation today, but man do you know how to ride a half pass" saved my future riding career when I was really at the end of my rope, that comment did. The other was one a canter circle- release rein at 2nd level " only thing keeping this from higher score is canter quality" with a 9.

Agree with many of the great senior and FEI judges listed here, but as one who runs shows and holds a recently earned "r" judges card, let me put out a plea for folks to hire those small r's. They are well trained, and are supposed to be judging a lot to gain experience and develop their eye. Across the country this isn't happening. Most are willing to do short days, fill ins, co-judge, etc. as a manager, this can be helpful for scheduling if you need to break for your "S" judge but overfilled, can get a few intro-2nd classes done. Competitors love having an additional judge "combination" for scores if you have a co-judge situation. The small r is generally willing to prorate the day or offer other incentives...

I went out of my way to apprentice with judges I had appreciated riding for - Lilo, Louise Koch, Jeanne, Sandy Howard, Elizabeth Searle, and it was really interesting to see the methodology and demeanor. I really liked sitting with some of the r and R judges too for experience. They were still actively developing their style and were very supportive of their riders.

Very short list of judges that I'd not hire again, usually not for competency but high maintenance issues.
                                          Totally agree - many "r" and "R" judges have great training and great eyes AND they are currently competing - and the only way we are going to get more "R" and "S" judges is to support the "up and comers". Especially in larger shows, an "r" can take over the Training Level rides and get at least a few of the 1st and 2nd level rides to those riders can get feedback and comments (and scores for awards and championships) from more then one judge!

Comment

Working...
                                          X