• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can't Turn Right

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Turn Right

I have been having issues turning right on my mare. My trainer can turn her right, her tack fits, her mouth is fine, but I can't turn right. She surges sideways and I can only spiral her inside to stop her. Turning left is a breeze, I can turn with no rein, inside rein, outside rein, whatever. But I cannot turn right.

First off, how do you turn right? Inside leg back, inside leg forwards, inside leg on hard, inside leg on gentle? Outside leg back, outside leg forwards, outside leg on hard, outside leg on soft, outside leg not on? I want to know what you do to turn, and what you do if your horse won't turn and runs sideways.

I first open my inside rein. Then I use my inside leg while my outside leg goes back and I push gently and then hard with it. I lay my outside rein across the side of her neck to the center of her withers, and look across the arena. She then pulls her head up, and surges sideways.

Do you have other techniques for turning? I'm stuck, and I know it's something I'm doing. Should my outside rein be opening? Closing? Across the neck?

I don't have this issue in the walk, but I have it sometimes in the canter.

Please help.

It's you. We have dominant and weak sides like any other creature. On my weak side I collapse my torso so instead of bending in that direction I end up pushing the horse into a counter bend in order to stay under my crooked a$$

Are you riding with someone who can look at you, or riding with mirrors? I end up having to do scarecrow exercises on the horse (arms straight out and turning left and right in the saddle to try to develop more symmetry). Lunge sessions work well here too.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

You say you are pushing hard with one of your legs??? Which leg? Why are you pushing? When you say your horse surges sideways...is this sideways toward the left, or sideways toward the right? What is your left elbow and hand doing?

Comment

I was convinced my mare was some sort of stroke victim... sadly, it's me...

Lots of circles and spiral-in/out at the trot. Start at 20m, spiral in to as tight as you can without losing rhythm and bend. It'll be like 10m over 5 circles. If you feel yourself losing it, go back out to 20m until you get the bend back. I worked on this all.last.summer. The reward paid off!

Now, we go back to our spirals this month...

Don't get frustrated! You are not alone!
        Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
        Top Shelf "Charlie"
        Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Comment

Also -- turn your torso in the direction you want to go, and drop your right shoulderblade down and back. This is one of my big issues with turning right on my mare; my left side is so stiff that it is actually hard for me to turn my body to the right, so instead I was using an indirect inside rein -- pulling my right hand toward my bellybutton.
          You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Sounds like the dreaded fall through the outside shoulder black ice skid that some horses are expert at.... The first thing you have to do is steer out of the skid by using your left rein to straighten out the horse (sort of like turning into the skid to straighten out a car) lol. Then, there are a myriad of ways of dealing with this...sit up straight..don't lean, don't twist, not too much leg...with your inside rein (without throwing away your outside rein), you can turn your inside hand like you are turning a key in a lock (to the outside)...don't open the rein..stay connected but steady and light...just turn your wrist. You can also bring your inside hand in the direction of your belly button...it is the angle that is important and don't pull (your shoulders are parallel with the horses shoulders) so that means that when a horse turns right at the canter, if you twist your body to the right so that your left shoulder advances ahead of your right shoulder your horse will pop out on the left, so you have to keep your left elbow back at the waist but following and your right elbow, hip, and hand which will be slightly ahead and leading the diagonal (just like the horse on the right lead) with you following with the movement. When a horse is cantering to the right, the right side is the forward part of the diagonal of your shoulders and the horse's shoulders. Remember to look in the direction you are going. You can try this on the ground by yourself, i.e., canter around in circles with a right or left lead yourself (no horse) and see what position your body needs to be in when you are on the horse. I'm sure someone will immediately contradict what I have just said...lol

Comment

• Original Poster

I can't really turn..at all. Let' say I'm heading down the long side towards the right, and I want to turn. I turn, and then she heads sideways. All I can do is spiral the the halt to stop. I can't even do a circle.

Comment

Fairtheewell has it

My weak side the left ALSO shows up in the right turn (yay), and I usually end up with a counter bend as well for correction which really is only correcting a horse that is responding to my crooked seat so...
                ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sideways to the left? If so, you have to turn her to the left (make her straighten out) for a few strides, then...try the above if you can.

Comment

Yes, it is fairly common and maddening...lol

Comment

Is she surging left or right? When you say you spiral to a halt which way are you turning?

It's definitely a rider issue, but one you can fix. When I have trouble doing something one way and not the other I set us up to do one side then the other in fairly rapid succession and I try to feel what I am doing differently in each direction. Then I try to do what I'm doing the good way when going the bad way and most of the time I get an instant improvement.

Comment

• Original Poster

So I shouldn't use much leg? So while I'm going down the longside, what should I do to prepare? What if my mare braces and throws her head up? (I ride in a double jointed snaffle with no noseband. Nothing complicated) Should I first use my legs? Or first use my reins? Or one rein? I know it seems like I'm asking you to describe every step, but I feel like I'm missing something.

Comment

• Original Poster

**I spiral right. She surges left, outside. Sometimes she'll yank her head outside and raise it up high. Then all I can do it stop her to prevent her from careening into anyone.

Comment

Not too much inside rein pressure..just enough to direct her...think about guiding her to the right in the spiral...position your legs (outside leg slightly behind the girth, inside leg on the girth...but don't "apply" leg pressure. If she pops the shoulder out to the left and/or throws the head, etc., use your outside rein (left rein) to straighten her for a couple of strides to rebalance her and start again to the right...do it slowly but forward. Keep the turn big and gradual. Take time to decrease the circle..her body should be in the same arc as the circle as it gets smaller..when you "enlarge" the circle, apply a little inside leg, but keep her looking to the inside as you float gradually out to a larger circle. Take your time. Make small movements. When in doubt, make her go straight ahead....then try again. That exercise is sort of like us doing sidebends, and the outside muscles, etc., have to stretch...sometimes that is uncomfortable for the horse particularly on one side, so just take your time.

Comment

"Should I first use my legs? Or first use my reins? Or one rein? "

You always have to use leg (seat) first (i.e., apply gas to steer the car), then direct with rein(s). You can think..."apply a little leg AND then right rein, supported by steady elastic outside left rein (very important to learn not to throw away the outside rein...it is a counter-intuitive dressage thing, and it needs to be practiced). The horse has to "accept" contact on the outside rein on both sides by exercises such as changing direction...when your horse pops through the outside shoulder and throws its head, it is evading that outside rein.

Comment

What I found that works is to push the horse foreward and just ride out any attitude and then to actually use my legs and prepare for turning in advance instead of using a lot of rein. That way this does not result in jerking. If she still does it quickly correct her and make her move out. Hard to explain but my evil Morgan mare is the queen of crabby attitude and doing this exact thing you describe and the thing that helped was to carry a crop and to move move move. And then just using gentle correction instead of jerking the horse's head the opposite way.
                                Also check your horses back and get the vet/chiro out as needed.

Comment

Just to be clear... no "jerking" suggested here...just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by fairtheewell View Post
                                    Just to be clear... no "jerking" suggested here...just sayin'.
                                    Yep that's clear. I should have used a better choice of words. I basically suggest her not to over check on the reins constantly or fight heavily with the reins just incase that's what she's doing out of habit.

Comment

I have nothing to add to these wonderful suggestions other than the title of your thread immediately made me think of Zoolander! LOL You're just like him!! Although he can't turn left! You're just not an ambi-turner! :-) Sorry I couldn't resist! Back to the good advice! :-D
                                      Please excuse the typos...I'm always on my iPhone and autocorrect is not my friend. Yes I mean mares autocorrect...not mates.

Comment

First of all, you do not use your legs per se. What should be happening is that your stirrups need to be correctly weighted for the movement at hand. When the horse turns correctly, your leg will fall by gravity onto the correct side, if you and your horse are not crooked. If you know what correct weight aids are, then you can deliberately use a greater amount in order to better help straighten your horse. Your post indicates that you are no where near being able to control your weight aids yet. Your horse is also extremely crooked, and probably your instructor is having you work with your reins too short for the horse's level of ability. This also means that your upper torso is being pulled forward, and your seatbones are coming off the saddle. These things definitely negate any attempt for correct weight aids.

Your first goal is to be able to turn you horse while in walk. Let's say that you are walking down the long side in a clockwise direction on a straight line. You should have your ribcage raised. Take a deep breathe, and hold it. Feel that ribcage raise? Feel how your shoulder blades move closer to your spine? That is called "opening your chest," but your need to do that without holding your breathe, but only by keeping your shoulder points elevated. Pay attention, pay attention to where your shoulder blades are in relationship to your spine.

Now, your body in the saddle should remain upright with your buttocks tucked under just slightly. Wait! Are you in a forward seat saddle instead of a dressage saddle? If so, your stirrups won't be quite right if your have them too long. Take your feet out of the stirrups, and just let your legs hang long. Now bend your knees just slightly, but lift your toes. Allow your body to walk with the horse...left, right, left, right. Feel the swing of the motion.

Now if you are sitting correctly for this direction, your left leg should feel just a hint farther back than your right leg. Not "behind the girth" per se, but just a hint more rearward. What you are probably feeling is that your right groin area is firmly against the saddle and your left groin is not. Your left groin needs to be in contact with the saddle for your aids to be correct, and this is a difficult thing. Keep in mind that the turning of the horse needs to come from that area...the groin, not the lower leg. You want to keep the horse's body equally between your groins.

Can you tell yet which of the horse's hind legs is moving forward within the stride? If so, as the horse's outside hind moves forward lift your right rein. Put it down again as the horse's right hind come forward. Make sure your left hand keeps its thumb on top...maybe even a hint of turning that hand toward the outside to help firm the hand in the correct position.

Now normally, for making the turn, with a horse that is not crooked, you would just turn your upper torso inward a tiny bit, looking the direction of travel. But, your horse's body is already turned too much, so if you turn this way, it will put too much weight into your right stirrup. As you go to turn, you are also losing your left shoulder and allowing it to pull away from your spine. Turning your left hand slightly toward the outside will help better stabilize your left shoulder.

There is already too much weight in your right stirrup, so you need to correct your stirrup weightings slight in order to turn. The amount by which your horse's body is rotated one direction or the other is called lateral bend. Your horse, because of the crookedness is bending its torso by too great a degree to the right, so on a right hand turn, you need to reduce the bending. Normal horse on a turn requires more lateral bend, which is your normal aid, but when you have to deal with a crookedness issue, you need to analyze what is wrong, and fix it accordingly. Aids are not the same by rote all the time. You must use the aid the straightens your horse, so that is why I am telling you what I am.

So now you are going to turn. Release your right rein forward and lift it. Keep your left shoulder blade close to your spine, and step more deeply into your left stirrup. This might require a deliberate additional leg aid with your left leg. You need to use your whip on the horse's right side to keep the horse's right hind leg really coming through. The contact on your left rein must stay very firm...not pulling, but very firm.

Continue to lift the right rein and take it back, lift forward, take back in time with the horse. Don't try for a full circle, but only a quarter circle, before going straight again. When you can do a good quarter turn, then try for more of a circle. The important thing is to keep your left shoulder blade back your right rein released and slightly forward, and the horse's right hind coming under better.

I hope some of this helps. Reading a direction on how to do something is not the same as having someone who is knowledgable right there seeing what is incorrect. If your instructor cannot see what is wrong, and help you fix this which is not a really horrible problem, then you might want to look around for a different instructor that is more attuned to the rider's position in the saddle.

However, if you are riding a forward seat saddle, or an all purpose saddle, any fix will become more difficult unless you actually get a dressage saddle with its different balance point.

Comment

Working...
                                        X