• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

teeny proud mama moment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teeny proud mama moment

A while ago, i posted a thread on here about my OTTb getting behind the vertical. I received GREAT advice here and thank everyone who offered some.

Well horsey was mostly out of work from January to March due to saddle, stifle and back issues. Went back into work March 10th..

Here are two short videos of how well he is going now. (he is crabby in the canter video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iykQZXyhyQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vRebyLTzk

In December 2011, we were JUST introducing the canter. After coming back in March, it all is coming together..

Just had to brag about my baby

Ahhh beautiful. I just love that harmony between the horse and rider and the beautiful air exhumed from a happy athlete! Congratulation!!!

Comment

Hes gorgeousss! love those long legs.very nice work, that's a great looking OTTB

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks so much! He's 17h, but it's ALL leg. My dressage friends all say, 'You KNOW you have a dressage horse, right?' I think he may end up being my daughter's equitation horse some day.. he's no hunter lol

for comparison, this was him in December (it's a little long - you don't have to watch the whole thing!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7blGDCVvYBg

Comment

He's gorgeous! I love the long legs!!! (Of course, I have a 17 hand ottb myself, so I may be biased ) He's a very nice mover, you should definitely consider trying a little dressage with him! I bet he'd find it pretty natural. Good work getting him all fixed up, he looks great!
          Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
          Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
          My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

Comment

• Original Poster

he he he.. thanks. I might have to invest in a dressage saddle too!

Comment

Don't worry about the dressage saddle for a while (let him build the topline etc first) but do check the fit of your present saddle - video was a bit fuzzy but I'm wondering about saddle movement & pressure points especially as you canter.

He's looking lovely

Comment

• Original Poster

that is the new saddle.. it actually fits much better than the LAST one.. i had a huge battle with Antares following an ill fitted CUSTOM saddle and ended up buying this used Devoucoux. It seems to fit ok. but will take your suggestion and see if i can get someone out to fit it.

What do you see which makes you suggest that?

Comment

Nothing definative so don't feel this is a wow moment
                  just you mentioning that it was a cranky canter, so I was watching to see if the saddle was lifting at the cantle (but couldn't get a focused video moment) - if it does lift at the cantle, you'll end up with more pressure at the front of the saddle & this will be emphasized in the canter.
                  He's also likely changing in topline etc (maybe even bone changes - depending on his age from when the saddle was initially fit) so I like to check saddle fit every few months on these guys.

Easiest way to see is, remove the saddle pads, & watch/video WTC focusing camera on saddle movement.
                  Also look at shoulder fit (especially when there is canter resistance) to ensure that he's not running into the tree points (soft thump at the walk/trot is more a thunk at the canter).

eg, FP has been sticky in his canter departs, resistant in the leg yield (but some days are GREAT) - is it saddle or young horse or ??? - had saddle fitter out (more than once!), yes saddle is on the narrow side but after the adjustment it should be OK & nothing to panic over (new saddle is on order) - well Mr Sensitive is just that, tried 2 different demo saddles that should fit similarly, he was meh about the first (in fact prefers his own, narrower saddle ), loved the 2nd ...

Comment

Beautiful horse. The guy in the suit wandering through the arena -- not something I see every day.

Comment

Wonderful! Congrats!!

Comment

Really lovely horse, ma'am. I agree with your friend, he is whispering "dressage" to me.

Comment

• Original Poster

larkspur.. that is my husband. he was walking over to my daughter on the white pony. Ha ha ha funny.

alto.. i should clarify. when i say the canter was cranky, it's b/c he thought he was done working. LOL

this horse's topline changes ALL the time. I had a custom Antares for him last year.. they made it to fit him 'when he fills in'.. well he got bigger than they thought and the saddle fit HORRIBLY. Really badly in his shoulder. He's got a HUGE shoulder and the top of his shoulder blade would sit under the saddle. Took him out of the Antares in January. Then he started kicking out in the canter depart - BADLY... like the kind of kick out that would make some people fall off. Then, he was kicking out every ride. Trot/canter. Was under the care of a chiro which was helping, but the adjustment only held for sometimes 1 week at best. Progressed to an odd LH lameness. Then had the vet out March 7th. Lame 2 on a 5 scale. Not so bad. Didn't kick out once. LOL vet thought could be partially behavioral, but given the horse's history (OTTB, rescued from feedlot) he thought we should try injecting stifles and hocks.. but start with stifles. Injected both stifles on March 7th. It was like I had a new horse. Then i had to get a new saddle. Was riding in an older devoucoux that one of the girl's had...fit him well. Ended up buying an older, used devoucoux with an integrated panel that fits his shoulder GREAT. 100 times better than the custom saddle ever did.

So, after that long story.. i think he was just crabby b/c he didn't want to work. I do want to get his topline stronger to encourage better use of his hind end and shoulder, but it will come.. .with time.

Comment

lovely horse and good progress. I would have his hind end checked out tho. he is short striding quite a bit with his left hind and has a bit of a hitch..... and if he is hurting that would explain the difficulties you are having.....

Comment

Originally posted by mbm View Post
                              lovely horse and good progress. I would have his hind end checked out tho. he is short striding quite a bit with his left hind and has a bit of a hitch..... and if he is hurting that would explain the difficulties you are having.....
                              This.
                              Originally posted by Silverbridge
                              If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

He might get grouchy at canter with his little haunches in thing going on. Mine cant be too far in our out or that rear gets a little bouncy and offers hoppy steps.

What would help would be longer steps at trot but without sleed just tracking up to help those loooong legs.

Kudos he looks fantastic!

From one tb rider to another
                                ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                                http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

mbm.. had a full lameness eval done when he was kicking out.. that's when we injected his stifles. And yes, i know he doesn't stride under on the LH and gets hitchy. I am sure, and the vet agreed, that he's probably a little arthritic, given his conformation, his time on the track etc. AND he has on old big bow on the LF and the vet feels that he DDFT is fusing (did i tell you i love my horse? LOL) Oddly, enough, he flexes sound behind. Crazy, but he does.

I have been working on some beginnings of lengthenings and shortenings, trying to encourage a little more movement behind. I have only just recently been able to really ride him forward into the bridle without him getting on his forehand and luggy, or getting behind the vertical. The stronger his back gets, the better I can get him step underneath with his hind end. It's a long process with this horse. I've had him since October 2010 and have taken is really slowly, as he was TERRIBLY unbalanced, TERRIBLY crooked etc. For the first year almost, he could not trot a complete circle to the right without falling in, stiffening and counter bending. It's been a project to say the least.

So orthopedically, he's not perfect. But he was a rescue from the feed lot and i love him, so i am working on it all. I think, if i remember correctly, that canter video was taken when it was rainy.. and he does get a little stiff when it rains (so do I! LOL)

netg- he gets chiro adjustments about every 3 -4 weeks and if his SI is out, he gets hitchy on the LH.

thanks Nomiomi1. I know you gave me some great advice on my last thread here. it's nice to see people checking back in. I really appreciate it.

Comment

ok, glad to hear you know what it is etc.

since you have a a plan and it seems to be working, keep working it because there has been some really good progress. Just be careful not to ask him to carry too much as you might risk making him more chronically lame...

he is a lovely lovely boy and you should be proud of the work you have done.

Comment

• Original Poster

mbm

re: chronically lame... that's my fear, so I tend to take it REALLY REALLY slowly, trying to properly build muscle so we have no issues. He is on NO supplements at all right now, although the vet felt a round of pentosan might do him good. Just haven't gotten to it yet. I think i MAY put him on some joint health supplements - i have my older pony on smart flex and it's made a difference in her. He's only just turned 8, but as you can see, he's well.. challenged. LOL I also think conformationally with his LONG legs, i have to work harder at all of this - ha ha ha ha but that's just my theory!

thank you for your kind words regarding his progress. He has come along so well over the last 2 months - he's very consistently the same horse from day to day.. on the rainy cold days, i tend to just hand walk, since I know he's a little creaky. Yesterday, while flatting past the window in the indoor, the neighbor decided it was a good idea to start shooting guns. Poor horse.. he was upset.. but worked through it and I was able to finish on a good note. I was awfully proud of him. He's a diva, and high maintenance, but i love him

Comment

Working...
                                      X