• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Selling a horse ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a horse ?

So I decided to sell my girl. My trainer helped me write an amazing ad, pics and videos and priced her for me. The ad has been out for 2 weeks now and I haven't had a call or email. Should I worry? Maybe make some changes? Trainer says absolutely not-she's worth every dime, it's only been 2 weeks. I'm thinking-OMG it's been 2 weeks!
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Some take a year and some take a week. It really depends
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

some horses just do not sell at all

Comment

if you think it is a pricing issue, then look at what comparable horses are selling for. By comparable, I mean same breed, same age, and same experience. You'll have to assume that all horses are sound for sake of comparison. I'll do comps both nationally and locally depending on my market.

Two-weeks is not particularly long for an ad to be up. Usually only the scammers contact you during that period.
        Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
        http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Two weeks is NOT a long time, but you might want to think about where the ad is. You say it's been "out". Is it one place or many? Some online sites tell you how many views.

Lots depends on her age/training/location/experience.

A couple years ago I was shopping - there were two mares I really liked; one had been on the market about 10 days when I found the ad; the other had been on the market a year.
          We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

It's not a good market right now. There is a glut of nice horses for great prices. I purchased my 2nd level Oldenburg (premium) mare for less than $5K.
            Banter whenever you want to banter....canter whenever you want to canter.

Comment

Originally posted by NotGrandPrixYet View Post
              It's not a good market right now. There is a glut of nice horses for great prices. I purchased my 2nd level Oldenburg (premium) mare for less than $5K.
              I'd like to know where they are?

What I see out there are either way overpriced horses (many that never sell), or cheap and lame horses.

Those that are sound and sane and less than 10k sell fast, so to the OP, yes, I would worry. A genuinely nice horse (not a world beater, but nice, sound sane horse with correct gaits) in the 5-10k range I cannot seem to call or see the horse fast enough (3 I have lost out on in the past few months because I work full time and can only see horses on weekends). I have looked at a few in the 10-25k range and all were either lame or not worth the price. 25k+? You better have a serious competitor with a close to BNT riding it.
              On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

I have actually noticed the market getting better - reasonably priced rideable horses are selling, sometimes fast. One ad may not be enough - and you must have good pics, good video, and a realistic price. And two weeks isn't very long - put some flyers up at area shows and tack stores, and put out a few more ads. Many GMOs have advertising opportunities - take advantage of that too!

Not GP - sounds like you got a killer deal!

Comment

Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
                  I have actually noticed the market getting better - reasonably priced rideable horses are selling, sometimes fast.
                  Well that's is the point isn't it? The "reasonably priced" part. Too many people seem to want 20k for an average horse that has done nothing. And a lame horse? I'm sorry but that lame horse you are selling is worth zero.

A horse will sell immediately with a decent ad and a fair price. Some horses I see still on the market 2 years later. I just had a thought in my head about selling my pony and she sold, but I am smart enough to know that she was worth what someone would pay for her, and I would rather give a great home a screaming deal and stop paying the board every month.
                  On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Originally posted by NotGrandPrixYet View Post
                    There is a glut of nice horses for great prices. I purchased my 2nd level Oldenburg (premium) mare for less than $5K.
                    I wish this were true for my area. I have been looking for over a year, and there are inexpensive horses that have a host of serious health/behavior issues and then there are the higher end horses that are way more than I will ever need or want in a horse. Or there are are youngsters that are years away from ever being ridden.
                    Sheilah

Comment

I would worry if no one responded in two weeks. You havent gotten even an inquiry on her. Serious buyer tend to run through the ads often, if not every day. Do other people think your mare if worth what you are asking? Have you looked at what other comparable horses are selling for?

I wouldnt totally flip out about this if I were you, but I would be questioning myself as to why not even one person has asked about her. Maybe you are advertizing in the wrong place and the right buyers arent seeing her.

Comment

I'm having this problem right now on a very nice mare who is listed as "make an offer." if I were in the market, she's exactly what I want, but I can't afford a second horse no matter the deal (she belongs to my friend).

I've posted her in tack stores, FB groups and two online ad places. I've tried listing her with a price tag, expecting folks to low ball, and I've tried listing her just as make an offer.

I even have a good instructor in the area pimping her on Facebook. The instructor has told me there is no market for her currently, but after 6 more months of training she'll sell quickly ... Apparently folks don't want greenish horses right now, no matter the quality (in my area)

Eta: she's been listed since January. I've had two phone calls and three PMs/emails. Only two people have tried her. One ended up leasing her but it did not work out long term.
                        Last edited by AzuWish; May. 7, 2012, 10:01 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

I just managed to sell a horse and it took about 6 months of trying. You get to enjoy the fruits of my 'life experience' for free!!!
                          - I PAID a well known instructor to do an evaluation and give me a suggested price to list her at. I am pretty sure she was giving me a pre-recession level price because even I thought it was rather high. Other instructors I rode with thought it was high too but said since WKI said that, maybe she is worth it? Outcome: Total waste of my time and money getting her opinion. Yes, her suggested list price was way to high, and she did not send anyone my way. Pretty sure she never mentioned horse to anyone.
                          - Equine.com and Equinenow.com did not get me one solid lead (nobody called or e-mailed). Craigslist brought out the crazies and time wasters. Dreamhorse.com gave me two solid hits but neither of these ended up buying her.
                          - Having people read my ad and suggest edits really did not help get any more interest in horse.
                          - The suggestion of 'Comparing to other similar ads' pisses me off because it DID NOT HELP me at all. How do you actually know what a horse sold for? Just because it says SOLD on Dreamhorse does not mean that the lister actually got that price. Also if you have an uncommon breed/cross-breed, good luck finding similar horses to compare to! And even if a similar horse sold for 5 gazillion dollars, that similar horse may have just found the one sucker out there to pay too much for a horse. Or the flip side, the horse may have been marketed by BNT who may have actually gotten that price, but the average amateur getting that price? You just do not know.

I would get more than your instructors opinion though.

Should I worry?
                          Well you can, but it will not help in selling your horse any

Maybe make some changes?
                          It is really hard to say. You can PM me your ad and I can give you a fellow amateur's opinion!

All in all, selling a horse was a terrible experience for me hence why I called it a 'life experience'. I did want to get a replacement horse, but the experience has left me feeling resentful so I will wait awhile.

Comment

If you haven't had at least an inquiry in 2 weeks....something is not right, in my opinion. The market is definitely improving, at least in this area.

First place to look is your asking price. Look for ads for similar horses and experience and see if you are close. If you have impartial friends who can give honest & direct feedback...ask them if they could review the ad.

I've sold 2 and bought 2 in the past 9 months...and no inquiries in 2 weeks indicates something is way wrong with the ad. Your trainer, who is so adamant that the horse is worth every penny....is this trainer getting a commission on the sale, by any chance? And is horse in training and/or regular lessons until she is sold? If so, you may want another independent evaluation of the horse's value.

Comment

Originally posted by AzuWish View Post
                              I'm having this problem right now on a very nice mare who is listed as "make an offer."
                              That may be your problem. When looking for a horse to buy, I automatically skip over "make offer" or "inquire for price" ads. That may be just me, but if I don't have some indication where the buyer's head is at in regards to price...I'm moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Cook View Post
                                That may be your problem. When looking for a horse to buy, I automatically skip over "make offer" or "inquire for price" ads. That may be just me, but if I don't have some indication where the buyer's head is at in regards to price...I'm moving on.
                                Good point. I did list her for a price and got no (real) inquiries. Figured I'd change things up. It's only been a week that I've been doing the "make an offer." I've got shares on Facebook, but that's about it.

The "make an offer" is really like "hey this is a steal of a deal and we're willing for you to throw us ANY figure." I really thought my price tag I set earlier would at least warrant some folks biting low.

I know my pics aren't the best quality for under saddle, but it's really hard to get someone to get there and take useable, good pics.

Here are my pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/Lindsay...eat=directlink

As I get better photos, I've been switching out the "bad" ones with the better ones. I got some good standing pics Sunday and I'm hoping they pay off this week.

Bad photos = not a good way to market a horse lol

I hate our riding photos so much.

Should I just can the riding photos and risk folks not taking her seriously as a riding horse, or just depend on video since our photos are so bad?

(Sorry OP, I'm hijacking your misery!)

Comment

Azuwish: Those pictures make your mare look hot, tense, and nervous to me. If she isn't then I would get the pictures redone. If a horse is advertised as going under saddle then I expect to see pictures that represent the horse at his or her current level. I also expect pictures to be recent, the pictures uploaded are almost 5 months old. I think different pictures would help a lot.

Comment

The pics are from different dates, some 5 months old all the way through this past Sunday (you can see she's sporting three different coats lol).

She can be tense and nervous but has made huge strides — I have her advertised as needing a calm/patient rider or rider experienced with ottbs (this is a huge hit against us right now since she's really only schooling training level so has little "training" to speak of). Unfortunately, like I said, I have no good pics of her current training — all under saddle pics are at least 4 months old.

I do have a few recent photos of her going bitless, but she's moving downhill. It shows a relaxed, happy horse, but doesn't show off her quality.

Is your suggestion to just go with video (I can self video and have several videos of her going nicely) and scrap any under saddle photos since I can't get any nice ones?

I'm taking her to a show May 20 and hoping someone will come armed with a camera to share photos.

Comment

Price Point

I think whether or not you should worry, and how long you can expect it to take to sell your horse, assuming she is priced correctly, depends largely on price point and location. Most people will search within a couple hundred miles from home. Is there a large equine community in your area or are you super rural?

There's A LOT of horses in the $5,000 and below price point and lots of people that can afford them. But they are low on either talent, training, or both! So not a large pool of buyers looking for them. Don't expect them to travel beyond a couple hours.

There are not a lot of people that can afford $40,000 and above, and there aren't a lot of horses in that price point. Those horses don't tend to sell too fast, but they do seem to reliably sell in a 3-6 month time span. These people also do tend to fly around the country to try horses.

I think if you are priced appropriately in the $10-20,000 range, you should get some interest in a few weeks time. You may find buyers a little more willing to travel, but likely not beyond a realistic driving distance.

Comment

Azuwish...honestly speaking....those under saddle pictures are doing you no favors. I'd remove them, even if it means just showing conformation shots in the meanwhile, until you have something better. Just IMHO. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                        X