• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Footing Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footing Recommendations?

For those of you who have your own place, what do you have for footing? If money were no object, what type of footing would you have? What are the pros and cons and would you replace your footing with the same kind? If not, what do you like if money were no object? I am in the process of replacing mine on a budget and just looking for recommendations/information. Thanks!
  • Original Poster

Bump

Comment

I love riding with rubber. When I boarded at a dressage barn, she had rubber (black tire rubber) and loved it. Now they have rubber made from gound shoe rubber and it is so nice without the downside of the black rubber
      http://www.stableandarena.com/airfoo...ofelt_etc.html
      Epona Farm
      Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

http://www.travelrightsurfaces.com/p...ravelright.php

This footing is amazing it really is dust free and practically maintenance free

Comment

I find it VERY frustrating when companies don't put prices for their footing. Makes me wonder if the price depends on the buyer.
          Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
          "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

I have crumb rubber in my indoor and sand in the outdoor. The horses definitely go better in the indoor. If feels like your riding a horse wearing running shoes. I don't know if I have the wrong sand in the outdoor though it was installed by professionals but it seems to be more work to get the horses going forward.

The footing in the outdoor may be a bit too deep right now but I don't want to pay to have it hauled away only to need more in a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by ise@ssl View Post
              I find it VERY frustrating when companies don't put prices for their footing. Makes me wonder if the price depends on the buyer.
              The cost often includes shipping and that varies with distance from the plant.
              I love my GGT footing, cost about $4000 shipped to VA. It's over 150 tons of VDOT-A sand trucked about 30 miles and I forget how much bluestone over my own compacted clay. With grading it cost $27K for a large dressage arena

This shows some of the grading
              https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/20111018#
              I wasn't always a Smurf
              Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
              "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
              The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Re, the travel right footing I believe is VERY expensive - my barn owner throws out $100,000.

It is remarkable in that there is zero dust and essentially no maintenance. There are 2-3 horses in the ring all day and the ring NEVER needs to be dragged. Maybe once a month we rake the track. The footing is 4 years old.

Comment

http://attwoodequestriansurfaces.com/ We have the Pinnacle footing, and it is MARVELOUS. Dust-free, virtually no maintenance. We drag it twice a week with about 15-20 horses on it a day, 6 days a week.
                  spriesersporthorse.com | farm on Facebook | me on Facebook | blog

Comment

Pinnacle and Travel Right are worth their weight in gold, honestly. I have rubber/sand/felt in both my indoor and outdoor. It is still a little dusty. If I were building one from scratch, it would be one of these two, as I have seen them both in other people's arenas and was highly impressed!
                    Banter whenever you want to banter....canter whenever you want to canter.

Comment

Our ring hasn't been dragged in the 16 months that I have been there - it just does not need it.

Comment

So what exactly is GGT? More expensive options are out for me due to $$. Right now I'm getting a sand/sawdust (like a finer mulch, not exactly dust). I'm tapped out right now, but would like to add rubber or something else in the future (GGT?). I'm also unable to water my ring, so those high maintanence footings that need to have moisture are out. Those pricy footings will never be an option for me. Plus, it is hard to justify (even if I had the money) to spend that much for my own private use. Now if I win the Powerball it'll be a different story.

Comment

I certainly understand there are differences with respect to shipping costs. What I was referring to are the actual costs per square foot or meter on the various types of footing.
                          Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                          "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

What about hog fuel / wood chips? The only issue would be if you get a lot of rain, because it can get slippery if it's wet out, but other than that it makes for good, inexpensive footing.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfling View Post
                              So what exactly is GGT? More expensive options are out for me due to $$. Right now I'm getting a sand/sawdust (like a finer mulch, not exactly dust). I'm tapped out right now, but would like to add rubber or something else in the future (GGT?). I'm also unable to water my ring, so those high maintanence footings that need to have moisture are out. Those pricy footings will never be an option for me. Plus, it is hard to justify (even if I had the money) to spend that much for my own private use. Now if I win the Powerball it'll be a different story.
                              GGT looks like shredded Sham Wow. Mine is even the nice gold color that goes with my golden sand. It is better damp but did not get dusty when we had no rain....our April showers never showed up.

As I posted earlier mine was about $4K for my 20 x 60 m dressage arena, about 10% was shipping. I got mine through COTH poster AdAblur02.
                              I wasn't always a Smurf
                              Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Comment

Originally posted by ise@ssl View Post
                                I certainly understand there are differences with respect to shipping costs. What I was referring to are the actual costs per square foot or meter on the various types of footing.
                                http://www.dressagearena.net/pages/ggtarenafooting.html
                                I wasn't always a Smurf
                                Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Comment

I would do Airfoot or GGT. Others have mentioned GGT- Airfoot is ground up Nike's. The bad things about the shredded rubbers is the amount of metal mixed (run through a magnet, but doesn't catch all metal pieces) in and then the breakdown being hazardous to breathing. I have found the cost isn't too bad... For airfoot in my 60x150 indoor I got a quote of about $4,000, for GGT I got a quote of about $2,500. My big problem is I need to redo my base and the quotes for that are coming back at 30k!
                                  Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

Comment

bump

Comment

Rubber Mulch

I teach in a high volume setting and our indoor footing is a mixture of angular sand and black rubber mulch. In our scenario, this footing isn't ideal as the sand breaks down and doesn't hold the rubber in place well, allowing "bald spots" and deep rubber arenas (usually in the corners... especially if a quickie drag is done). When the ratio of sand/rubber is perfect and the moisture is good (helps decrease dust but also holds the rubber in place) the footing is nice and springy. But it requires monitoring.

Also, we have put "Retired" our older rubber footing to the outdoor, which was certainly an improvement, but the challenge there is when it rains, the rubber bits float to one end.

Arena footing is challenging, especially with a budget. I have enjoyed riding on GGT footing in an indoor. I think the GP ring at Saugerties NY has a GGT-like or other fiber based footing (outdoor) and that held up well with rain!
                                      O! for a horse with wings! ~William Shakespeare, Cymbeline **or a unicorn horn. Whatever works.**

Comment

I use to be a fan of Hog fuel but I have big reservations now.

A good hog fuel ring is not slippery in the rain. Problem is, many providers are bringing shredded up wood pallets and scrap and calling it hog fuel. True hog fuel is the outer barks and shreddings from lumber production

The problem with the hog fuel is that it has a very uneven particle size and thus very uneven rebound. I am convinced over time it is not doing your horse any favors.

It is hard to drag and usually needs hand raking. The base needs to be impeccable and drain well if outdoors. The last barn I was at had a wonderful outdoor. the base was put down by a road construction crew with proper crown and leveling. The footing held up very well.
                                        _\\]
                                        -- * > hoopoe
                                        Procrastinate NOW
                                        Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Working...
                                        X