• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Warm up ring? More like wind up ring!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm up ring? More like wind up ring!

I volunteered at my first PVDA show this weekend. Had a blast, learned alot, will do more. I have one concern though. I'm a high strung person by nature and while I was ring stewarding I imagined myself in the warm up ring just getting more and more wound up. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? Am I just getting ahead of myself?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

What was winding you up? The thought of the competition following the warm up? Or the idiots not paying attention to normal ring rules when in the warm up ring?
    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

Oh BTDT! I find having someone with me -- preferably a trainer or coach, but even my cool-as-a-cucumber husband is good -- helps a lot. It can get a little frenetic so "eyes up!" is really important to avoid crashes... Try to identify "problem" horses/riders before you go in and keep away from them.
      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

• Original Poster

Velvet, the thing that would wind me up would definitely be the anticipation of competition. I'm going to do what quietann suggests and go in a group from my barn. Oh and take lots and lots of vitamin B.

I guess it's like my boy Carl Hester says; do lots and lots of shows to get the nerves under control.

Paula

Comment

Definitely find a groom to help you, someone who who is willing to do everything you need help with. I'd suggest finding this person now, and start working on a list of what will need to be done from a few days before to loading for home and putting horsie to bed. Someone with show experience would be great-whether as rider or groom. Ive had my groom read my tests, and she kindly practiced this with me beforehand, so it was soothing to have a familiar voice reading.

I found it hard to be very social the hour before I mounted, so I made sure I found something solitary to do to avoid crowds and having to make small talk, whether it was sitting in the tack stall going over my test or listening to myusic or polishing tack or boots.

But no matter what you do, you WILL be nervous at first. How it affects tour ride will help you determine your protocol for the next show. Experienceis the best teacher, amen!

by the way, good for you for volunteering! Whether volunteering or simply spectating, you can get more of an idea of what its all about. Poking around in the trailer or stabling area is also fun and productive. I'm one who is calmer when all her ducks are in a row, so the more prepared I am, the better my tests went.

Comment

What works for me:

I have a great coach who helps me stay on track with timing, are they running behind, etc. I showed a ton growing up so showing itself does not concern me. I have a very easy horse to warm up- we rode First one this weekend for the first time and 75% of my warm up was at a walk, stretching him laterally...then a little gaiting, then two canters in each direction, for a total of maybe one lap in a large arena. Done. She calls my tests and does it well, so I have nothing to worry about there. I prepare for the maneuver at hand, I ride it, then I ride the next one. If you try to think of the whole thing in a wad, it will be a wad. Anticipating too much what happens if- is pointless. If he hops out of the ring he hops out of the ring. He's much more alive and forward and tense in the arena, so my goal is deep breathing, helping him....I don't think about me at all, other than to check my breathing and position....I don't know, it just gets kinda zen out there for me

The only dressage show I've fallen apart at is one I attended without her, where my DH and a friend came and sorta helped. It was bad! I would have been better off 100% alone, and finding a friend there to call the test. Bad help is worse than none

Comment

Plan your ride, ride your plan. Just school. Take your time. Get on early and wander the grounds. Then warm up a little, then wander some more. No jacket on yet, etc. Just hang out. Then go back, do your warm up for real, with plenty of time to get in the ring, and then just ride off to the ring and start your test. If you make it a big deal in your head now, it will be an even bigger deal when you show.

Just think of it all as schooling. No pressure. Just something you need to teach your horse.

Oh, and avoid the DQs or get pissy with them and tell them off if they almost mow you down. That will keep you from being nervous. You'll be to annoyed to be nervous.
              "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

Hopefully your trainer can warm you up and read for you. But shizzle happens, so its good to have a backup reader who has done it before, preferably one you're familiar with.

And never never allow a friend to persuade you to take a pharmaceutical to calm you down. Especially if you've never taken that pharmaceutical. Especially when you're jumping.

Comment

• Original Poster

You guys are awesome! I'm keeping everything you've said in mind. I can just see myself winding up poor Fella otherwise LOL!

Paula

Comment

Well, Velvet knows that with my horse, I have reason to be "wound up" in my warmup, but it has more to do with my hot horse and dodging idiots who think passing within six inches at an extended trot or refusing to follow ring etiquette because their $$$$ horse is worth more than mine is perfectly acceptable. As to my nerves, unless one has an "explosive" horse, I find that my eventing background serves to make me pretty "non-wound up." To my mind, competition nerves are for bef. x-country. Dressage is the non-life-threatening (usually) phase of competition. I might embarass myself, but nervous....nah. Fortunately, if I survive warmup, we usually can get through a test okay. If he's tense,the score will reflect it, but we usually don't totally blow or leave the arena, etc. If he relaxes (which he usually, but not always does) then we're home free. *G* I still laugh at the comment I got on my test a the RAAC: "A big, talented horse who is not focused today." Yup, I noticed that! LOL

Comment

YES!!!

Originally posted by Velvet View Post
                      Plan your ride, ride your plan. Just school. Take your time. Get on early and wander the grounds. Then warm up a little, then wander some more. No jacket on yet, etc. Just hang out. Then go back, do your warm up for real, with plenty of time to get in the ring, and then just ride off to the ring and start your test. If you make it a big deal in your head now, it will be an even bigger deal when you show.

Just think of it all as schooling. No pressure. Just something you need to teach your horse.

Oh, and avoid the DQs or get pissy with them and tell them off if they almost mow you down. That will keep you from being nervous. You'll be to annoyed to be nervous.
                      However, if the DQ is trying to run you down on your pony feel free to throw your reins away, put your hands in the air and Yell I SURRENDER!!! It does work.
                      Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                      Originally Posted by alicen:
                      What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sandy,

Funny you should mention Eventer-cool. We had one eventer (that I knew of) competing in the dressage ring. You're right; she was so cool. It was very different because more than likely you see someone making their horse rein lame because he's so compressed in front for fear he'd take off or explode or something. She so didn't care so her horse was so relaxed and forward. I joked that she probably was thinking, "Eh, so he takes off; we can clear the barn half doors at the end easy"

I want dressage chops, but eventer courage please.

Paula

Comment

I'm always more nervous "imagining" myself in the warmup ring than me actually riding in the warmup ring.

You see, when you watch other people warm up and imagine yourself there, you have way too much time in your hand and brain and end up imagining all that might happen. When you are actually riding, you are too busy riding to worry about all those things.

Comment

Originally posted by leilatigress View Post
                            However, if the DQ is trying to run you down on your pony feel free to throw your reins away, put your hands in the air and Yell I SURRENDER!!! It does work.
                            My Qh will just take the hit, and that really throws the Ring Warriors off!

For my sister's high strung horse's FEI debut, I used my QH as a warm up 'blocker' for the big guy. There was one other rider who kept passing too close, and the big guy would get upset.
                            Enter the QH Enforcer. Want to pass 6" from me? Fine. But I might practice my trot-halt right in your warpath.

In all seriousness, I find that a ring person (groom, SO, trainer, etc) to keep track of how the rings are running, who you follow, which test your doing, talking you down from the ledge, reminding you that this is fun, etc is the single most important thing.

Comment

• Original Poster

Two very true posts;

1. I was watching them in the warm up ring imagining my fears. Quite right.

2. Fella is a big guy so I'm going to take a page from amm2cd and take refuge in his size. He looks like a line backer and I'm a big Black girl so I'll throw in my Sister Scowl grrrrr.

Paula

Comment

Well, my horse is 17.3 and he ain't petite, but still got run down several times because he's, um, reactive. And someone's daughter really wanted to win. On the plus side, it resulted in the now-famous Porpoise PSG, which is a good story and still scored decently. Plus, the Flipper-esque soundtrack was a nice break from the elevator music.

In all seriousness, LOOK UP when you ride in the warmup. Be conscious of your relative position in the warmup and of those around you. Ride predictable lines so people don't have to slam on the brakes when you make a turn. Call your lines if you foresee an issue (or, if you're me on The Galloping Seacow, your brakes are sometimes an issue once you hit the Extended Trot button).

Practice riding with other people in the ring. Focus on you and the warmup you need, but realize that other people are also in the ring.

And for the love of all that is holy, if you see a big bay gelding with a crooked stripe porpoising his way around the warmup somewhere in PA, do not cut him off or clip too close by. His rider's going through enough, thank you very much.

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay, you just made me LOL in the teacher's lounge. Now I've got to see a picture of the galloping porpoise!

Paula

Comment

the warm up ring can be a bit nerve wracking at times

if you and Fella are both new to showing you might want to either borrow and been there done that for your first show or have someone relaxed show Fella for his first show if you are worried your nerves will get the best of you

also go to schooling shows to watch or even open shows to just go in classes and warm ups with out the worry of showing more of practice in your mind

Comment

• Original Poster

I can have someone show Fella? How does that work?

Paula

Comment

Originally posted by amm2cd View Post
                                        My Qh will just take the hit, and that really throws the Ring Warriors off!

For my sister's high strung horse's FEI debut, I used my QH as a warm up 'blocker' for the big guy. There was one other rider who kept passing too close, and the big guy would get upset.
                                        Enter the QH Enforcer. Want to pass 6" from me? Fine. But I might practice my trot-halt right in your warpath.

In all seriousness, I find that a ring person (groom, SO, trainer, etc) to keep track of how the rings are running, who you follow, which test your doing, talking you down from the ledge, reminding you that this is fun, etc is the single most important thing.
                                        Well the DQ that tried to run down the DD on the pony was having a bit of break issues combined with his rider humping his back like a monkey while trying desperately to rolker around the ring. Pony is all of 11 hands and is convinced he is 18 hands. If it had been a pasture setting my money would have been on the pony but he's not allowed to 'man up' with a kiddo aboard. When DD dropped her reins at the extended trot and threw up her hands yelling I SURRENDER she was frustrated and scared. DQ had chased poor pony across the ring and had ears back making all kinds of mean faces. Pony headed straight for trainer who made good use of the crop and dominatrix pose that stopped big boy in his tracks. (She didn't hit the horse or the rider though I likely would have.) Since then we usually warm him up on the lunge line with DD on a taller horse or if that's not possible we'll use other riders from our barn to create a buffer zone.
                                        Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                                        Originally Posted by alicen:
                                        What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

Working...
                                        X