Sport Horse Spotlight

B&A Jump 1

Real Estate Spotlight

1-Exterior-Main-[nholthaus]

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Why do you use a flash?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carol O View Post
    I use a flash because it is part of the uniform in a very conventional sport. I now explain that it is convention in my sport, and then I invite the critic to come and see how tight it isn't.

When I started in this sport the drop was in fashion, and I still prefer them.

It's "uniform" in a very conventional sport? No, not uniform. Fashion? No, not that either. It is there for a reason, and not all horses have a reason for a flash. Bridles can be purchased with or without a flash.

Whatever happened to using what works best for the horse? We choose bits based on this same principle = whatever makes a horse happy and go best in (yes if we are competing, we have restrictions and bit rules to follow).

I tailor my bridles to each horse's needs and don't give in to fashion du jour. I prefer padded/crank cavesson's over unpadded any day - for the horse's comfort. None of my bridles currently have flashes on them, but if one of my horses woke up one day and went better with a flash, then I'd consider using one.

Comment

various combinations are possible

bridle can be used for dressage and/ jumping with a drop; Eqitators use it to be able to add a standing to a drop
      breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

I went months refusing to put a flash on my guy, I disliked them. And then, as he got fitter he started getting strong. We would have 15-20 minutes of nice soft work, 10 minutes of hyperflexion leaning pulling hell, then the remainder of the ride would be, by far, our best work. It would have been hard to time this out to show a test

I've known the horse his entire life, it was never a disobedience issue. It was a thoroughbred, high energy, too eager to please, not the sharpest knife in the drawer issue.

Trainer advised to add the flash and knowing that he raced in a flash, we threw one on and it did the trick for him. Crutch, maybe. I'll take it. I did order a figure eight to try as I prefer them to the flash. They're legal no matter how passe we look I joked with getting a dropped noseband to try to bring that back, but goodess, nothing ever had a pretty enough head to pull that off

Comment

I don't use a flash either. My horses have never tried putting their tongues over the bit, nor do they try to evade the bit by opening their mouths and crossing their jaws. I've heard that some horses do this, and a drop or a flash can help prevent it.
          I took the flash off my bridle but eventually I just purchased a new (flash-less) cavesson from Jerry's Harness Shop. They make lovely bridles, and custom design them to your needs, so if you wanted one without a flash (or a crank for that matter) I can highly recommend them.

Comment

I don't use a flash simply because I don't feel like it makes a difference. Some horses like to open their mouths but I don't think that's an issue. If you want one for collection/contact or for your horse to slow down, don't get one. It's either going to make your horse super sensitive or make them want to fight you on slowing down or collecting because they feel they have no way out.

Comment

One should use "equipment" BECAUSE you need it. I have never found a need for a flash.
              ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Originally posted by Salar View Post
                Wow, if the flash is as important as some here think (support the jaw etc.), someone better run over to the Hunter ring and tell these guys what they are doing wrong!!!

I too hard a difficult time finding a dressage bridle without one so had to have the flash removed and noseband restitched.

Me thinks this is an "in vogue" trend....
                Hunter riders don't ride the same as a dressage rider, generally. Most of the folks I am around (low-level stuff) are hardly in contact...losts of loose reins out there, maybe I am missing something.
                “My horses are my friends, not my slaves” — Reiner Klimke

Comment

I attach the flash to my saddle as an "Oh Sh*t" handle. 😁

I've shown through 3rd without a flash with no issues.

Comment

I have only one use for a flash strap.

Cut shorter they make wonderful LONGER bit straps for my Micklem bridle, much longer than the available Micklem bit straps.

Comment

I'll be an odd man out to say that my horse actually went better with a flash. The reason being that he liked loose rings, but my hands weren't quite steady enough to keep the bit steady, so my trainer suggested using a flash to steady the bit.

It's worth pointing out that the flash was never very tight, just enough to do the job that we wanted.

Comment

I am currently using a flash on my horse because he seems to go better in this bit with it. I have tried a number of bits, cavessons and strategies. In loose rings he mouthed the bit excessively in all the mouthpieces I tried. An eggbutt regular snaffle was better but he seemed less happy - not as responsive. The double jointed snaffle with the bean worked better. But he still could get fussy and move the bit around a lot, even when longeing. So I added the flash. After a little experimentation we found where he wanted the bit and the snug cavesson and flash keep it there. For now that is how we usually ride and he is going well. He still takes his sugar fully bridled and isnt straining against it so it seems to be working for us. At least for now!

Comment

Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
                          There is nothing the OP is missing, it is well thought out and quite accurate.

Ok, lets start with why a caveson is on a bridle. Military riders used them to tie. Dressage riders initially rode in a lunge caveson, and it was used for lateral flexibility (no snaffle), and curb came for later nuance.

Fast forward (1700s), when progressive training came in a snaffle (fulmer). And a dropped was added only to prevent possible crossing of the jaw with horses being progressively trained ifv. And thus it continued until the late 60s when (german) auction horses were sold out of the country. Viewers didn't understand drops, so the 'cross between' was the flash. And they became 'in style'. Just as copying square saddle pad (sheer use was to keep tailcoat dry...now EVERYONE uses them even hunter riders LOL) or unbraided forelocks (one winning stallion who did not allow handling there).

From riding in both, there is simply no reason for one. If the horse is ridden progressively (up/open/ifv/with a mobile jaw) there is little reason for the horse to open the mouth. And if the horse starts to have mouth issues it is INFORMATION. If the horse has mouth or tongue issues it is often because the horse is steadily at (or more) vertical and the bars are exposed to the effects of the hand, rather ifv with pressures on the corners of the mouth. Horses 'evade' pain, and riders should ask different with their aids rather than strap the mouths shut.

What should stabilize the bit? That it is high enough (a wrinkle or two in the corner of the lips) and steady riding 'in position'.

What does the lower jaw need supporting? A half halt should not work against it, but on the corners of the mouth. The jaw should be mobile/allow for chewing and swallowing. It should be neither clamped shut nor hanging flaccidly, errors in either are information to the rider about the texture of their aids, and the horse's balance. Horses only clamp their jaws to evade pain. The rider should be holding both sides of the bit evenly, so it will not slide to one side or another, and in a fulmer or full check it cannot do so.

The way the rules were changed is somewhat of a joke, since the fingers now go in the side (where the bones are) which can allow the fingers even if fairly tight. The fingers should go under the jaw. But interestingly enough even with those things many horses in curbs now show open mouths or bitten/bloody tongues because now they are attempting to chew in their closed postures.
                          Thank you, thank you for this thoughtful reply. This was also my understanding as well. If memory serves, the idea that the flash "stabilizes the bit" has been debunked. Some horses do need them to prevent crossing the jaws. . .but
                          for the most part, I think flashes have become a trend. . . everyone uses them because. . . everyone uses them.
                          I do not use them. When I first started dressage lessons - oh - 20 years ago or so - - - I had one on my bridle.
                          After a few years, took it off. I've never needed to put it back on with any of my horses.

Comment

I don't know why this zombie thread popped up, but I don't think I had comments on my young horse last time it was around. She and her siblings are all teeth grinders. So is her just two year old daughter if she doesn't get something she wants. Because of that tendency toward tight in their jaw, they don't wear a flash which if anything would encourage it more. I think earlier in the thread I mentioned my two who have flashes because otherwise when they are on a loose rein they chomp and act displeased - but don't want the bit adjusted higher in their mouths. On correct contact they don't have the same issues because contact stabilizes the bit, but the loose rein chomping drives me bonkers. Their flashes are loose enough to take off without unbuckling, so not holding anything shut.
                            If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                            -meupatdoes

Comment

Working...
                            X