• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Better spinoff...WBs vs all non draft crosses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better spinoff...WBs vs all non draft crosses

To try to get some realistic input and since there are a lot that ride breeds common to the everyday use such as Arabs and their crosses as well as Quarter horses and their crosses as well as the various other crosses and the many grades horses...just how competitive can these be against an average WB.

Just how competitive are the WB crosses against the straight WBs? How about WBs against other breeds both pure and crosses.

And please ladies I am NOT including any draft blood in any of the crosses mentioned above but crosses outside of any draft blood.

My biggest question since it came up in the qualification thread..Can a non FULL WB ridden by a pro or amateur be able to climb the levels even with the qualifications in place?

We used to have a TB in the barn who was a solid third level - he'd been bought as a YR prospect by a previous owner, but he couldn't collect sufficiently to go higher.

I've had my butt kicked at training level by a kid on a pinto pony...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

Sure. There's very talented individuals in all breeds, and many crosses.

Honestly I think too much fuss is made over warmbloods -- they certainly have their flaws too. Based on videos I've seen of competitions -- Brentina is the only one that can piaffe worth a damn. But I also think hers is better than any I've seen, including Lipizanners. I think she's in a class by herself with regard to piaffe. She truly makes it look easy.

And no, I don't have anything against warmbloods. I have a TB/ Hanoverian cross.

Comment

no "straight" wb

Originally posted by ~Freedom~ View Post
        To try to get some realistic input and since there are a lot that ride breeds common to the everyday use such as Arabs and their crosses as well as Quarter horses and their crosses as well as the various other crosses and the many grades horses...just how competitive can these be against an average WB.

Just how competitive are the WB crosses against the straight WBs? How about WBs against other breeds both pure and crosses.

And please ladies I am NOT including any draft blood in any of the crosses mentioned above but crosses outside of any draft blood.

My biggest question since it came up in the qualification thread..Can a non FULL WB ridden by a pro or amateur be able to climb the levels even with the qualifications in place?
        uh, there aren't any "straight WBs", well they are 'straight", even the geldings, but they aren't purebred. altho Trakehners are supposed to be a breed, all us others are registries with lots of tb and arab blood, and trakehners are also full of tb and arab, more arab than many other registries. If you mean WB vs. draught crosses that are in america called wbs, like the aws, then they are not the same as the european lines. but 1/2 tb and 1/2 wbs are about the same as "straight" registry wbs.
        Just check out the bloodlines of the big olympic horses and see just how much tb and arab blood is there, you'll be amazed.
        Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Jul. 17, 2008, 11:29 PM. Reason: add

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
          uh, there aren't any "straight WBs", well they are 'straight", even the geldings, but they aren't purebred. altho Trakehners are supposed to be a breed, all us others are registries with lots of tb and arab blood, and takehners are also full of tb and arab, more arab than many other registries. If you mean WB vs. draught crosses that are in america called wbs, like the aws, then they are not the same as the european lines.
          Just check out the bloodlines of the big olympic horses and see just how much tb and arab blood is there, you'll be amazed.
          LOL I realize that and I was trying to separate the crossbreds that are done outside the registry compared to what has been infused and approved within each registry.

Comment

ok

yeah, I just think our registries (we are hessen in german registry, none here) are for performance and location, not for purebreds. I think any horse who can perform is great, and buying bloodlines helps. I love the ottbs, all that inbreeding, and the wbs, all that crossbreeding with the inbred tbs.
            but the wbs can jump in stadium jumping, wouldn't want to try to event with those bodies, and the wbs have those floating trots. but then the tbs have all that intelligence.
            cloudy is 47% tb, 10% arab, 100% pita! But he is straight, lol, still thinks he is a stud, poor boy.

Comment

I think I understand what you are asking- How do warmbloods versus non-warmbloods compare in the sport of dressage?

Is that correct?

If that is the question it is very easy to answer but let me clarify- the real rating is at the FEI level, not at training level- so hear is my answer - go to this link from the world breeding federation----

http://www.wbfsh.com/files/Dressage%...0June%2008.pdf

they track all the performance indicators for all recognized breeds: You will see that Hanoverians ranked #1, Dutch ranked #2, Danish ranked #3, Oldenburg ranked #4, Swedish #5, Westphalian ranked #6. HOlsteiner #7.

I think the answer is pretty clear, don't you? I do not see any registered Arabs or Quarter Horses competing at the FEI levels and being ranked consisently by the WBF. Would you agree??

Laura

Comment

Quite often TBs are approved for breeding and so there are "warmbloods" that are half TB, or is that not what you meant? (Ooops, just saw that this was already said....)

I don't know how you feel about andalusians because I do not, personally feel that they can be lumped in with the warmbloods, but they're my number one choice if only a) I could afford a quality one and b) they regularly came in size 17+h. Though, I have ridden some ROUND andies that took up my long leg quite nicely.
                Phyxius Photos.com - Equine Photographer in Maryland

Comment

Lendon Gray rode a couple of TB/ Connemara crosses and did pretty well as I recall....

Let's face it, one of the reasons those breeds dominate so much is that a rider looking to ride at the FEI level isn't likely to look at other breeds, yet individuals in probably every light breed exist that can do excellent dressage. 20 years ago I knew a pony, registered QH, 14.1 hands, BEAUTIFUL mover in all three gaits, could easily jump 4'. Didn't look a thing like a QH. Rich kid whose parents owned the farm was riding her training level. The horse was capable of so much more but she did have a very good life living out on the farm. Arabian, also a little over 14 hands, lovely in all three gaits, steady mind... The best trot I've seen of any horse was an OTTB mare -- she just floated across the ground. Amazing. So those horses are out there but the stars all have to align.

Comment

I just started riding a really neat little arabian/saddle bred mare. She really is super free in the shoulder and nice hock action. I dont know how far she will go, but I will def. keep everyone updates. She has a brain and very rideable, so....... who knows, time will tell.
                    www.spindletopfarm.net
                    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
                    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Comment

One girl in Lewin's training barn just sold a TB who was, I believe, PSG/I1.

One of the riders in my barn lost a Morgan last year who was very competitive at PSG. She also has an Andalusian (or is he Lusitano? Damn, now I forgot) stallion that she's bringing along.

Comment

Another important list

Here are the top Dressage performance horses in the world, this is the most current performance list:

Comment

Originally posted by ltw View Post
                          Here are the top Dressage performance horses in the world, this is the most current performance list:

That's was interesting! Thanks for posting. The top three are Hanoverians. My personal favorite.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by FancyFree View Post
                            That's was interesting! Thanks for posting. The top three are Hanoverians. My personal favorite.
                            They are mine as well. My own is Hanoverian cross.

So with the qualifications that may be in place in 2009 do they favor the crosses or not?

Comment

Hanoverians (and Hanoverian crosses) are the best.

Comment

Well I wrote an article that is going to be published in the Paisley Pony (upcoming issue). It lists all of the known (through USDF database) welsh that have competed at third level or above successfully. The list is amazingly long and primarily made up of cobs - section C & D though there are a handful of Bs and half-breds. When you consider the number of welsh cobs in this country as compared to the number of warmbloods, the statistics of competitive mounts shorter in stature who are successful in climbing the levels is not too shabby. I'm sure there are many who were overlooked due to recording error/lack of breed recognition. A few in my article who are listed went to Intermediate and Grand prix. I am hoping to debut at Prix St. George with mine in late fall if everything continues to go according to plan.

I earned my bronze, all scores, on my Arab who was I trained on my own.
                                Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

Mine too They've been number one breed on that list for over a decade (and usually at the top for jumping too). It's no accident.

On the other hand, I think there are lots of "non traditional" breeds , as well as some Baroque breeds that can hold their own in some serious competition. Friesians are starting to do fairly well, especially considering the small numbers (have been long listed ect). But, when it all comes down to it, you compare the BEST example of a wb bred for dressage ie like a Brentina and compare it to ANY other horse..for sheer dressage talent/ability, you just cannot beat the wb IMHO.
                                  www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Comment

haha, when my teddy aki shetland ponyx sec Awelshall at 10.2hhs was in the pony club, with a lessonee 1st time in
                                    for both, aki juniors against seniors intercamp thing him being the smallest won the dressage
                                    against all the biggests the largest being 16.3hh came home with a rather large thorphy

Comment

I think WBFSH only lists the breeds they include in their association, which is most (not all) Warmblood registries and some of the Spanish registries. They don't recognize many breeds, including Friesians, Morgans, ANY of the US Stock breeds, etc.

If you want to see how different breeds stack up in dressage in the U.S., probably the best source is the annual USDF Yearbook. Although many of the "crosses" are registered as PHR or AWS, so even that isn't going to give you the full picture.

Are other breeds beating the Warmbloods? Yes. I show here in California, a very competitive circuit, and have seen Arabians, Morgans, Andalusians all in the ribbons at big shows. Last weekend, I showed my own Friesian/Warmblood cross stallion at 3rd level (my 1st time!), and we won the 3rd level classes AND were AA reserve high point for the day (and there were mostly Warmbloods at all the levels at that show).

It is possible to win and to meet qualifying requirements with a non-Warmblood, or a non-traditional cross. But you do need a horse with three decent gaits (they don't have to be flamboyant, but they need to be pure and free and with the reach to do medium work), and you do need to be a good enough rider to get the best from your horse (isn't that the case much of the time?). If you have a small moving, downhill Quarterhorse, you can ride and show dressage, but you may not get the scores. If you have a decent moving Quarterhorse, you can do it. Same with other breeds - it isn't the breed, it is the individual horse (and rider) that needs to be assessed.

A few examples that are fun to hear about.
                                      -A few years ago, at the CDS Junior Championships, one of my young Friesian crosses was reserve champion with a junior rider at 1st level, and the champion was on an Appaloosa! Most of the rest of the placings were Warmbloods, but top two were NOT! Further up the ranks, I think the 4th level champion was riding a Friesian that year.

-At a recent USDF FEI Symposium, one of the demo horses was a PMU rescue - a draft/QH/Who knows what else cross who was doing GP and had a very nice passage!

-Although he didn't quite make it to the team, one of the short listed horses for our team was an Andalusian (Rociero). He's a favorite around here because he's a "local boy". And of course, we all remember Invasor! There are many other examples, I'm just quoting a few that I had local experience with.

Most trainers ride Warmbloods - as a result, we see mostly Warmbloods in the top rankings. But, look what happens when a talented rider picks a different breed? Look at what Sabine did with the Proud Meadow's Friesians, or look at Iron Springs. Look at Rociero. Pull out the USDF Yearbooks and see what is happening - there was a time when all you saw was Warmbloods. That is starting to shift. Sure, it is still MOSTLY Warmbloods - but other breeds are making inroads.

If you don't have a Warmblood, don't dispair - but make an honest assessment of your horse (and your riding abilities, of course). Does your horse have the conformation and gaits to be COMFORTABLE doing collected work? If not, you won't do your horse or yourself any favors by trying to compete at the mid levels. You can still use dressage to improve your horse's rideability, but competing will just frustrate the both of you.
                                      www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
                                      Director, WTF Registry

Comment

You know, competitive dressage has been around alot longer than WBs. Before that people rode TBs or TB crosses for the most part....sometimes horses where nobody had a clue about their lineage (for you young folks out there, it has only become recently that every horse has to be registered and have "papers.").

As always, lot more depends on the rider than the horse and you will never convince me otherwise. Good riders make good horses, great riders make great horses.

Comment

Working...
                                        X