• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sport Horse in Hand at Arab shows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Horse in Hand at Arab shows

Can anyone direct me to a good source of information on what /how to do a sport horse in hand class at an arab show? I have watched it at Dressage at Lexington, but wasn't really paying attention. I am not sure if we will dabble in it or not, but they do offer it in conjunction with the dressage at the breed show this spring. Thanks in advance.
    RIP Mydan Mydandy+
    RIP Barichello

I've done it and really enjoyed it. Teach your horse to stand in an "open stance" and to have good manners walking and trotting in hand in a snaffle bridle. Make sure you can really run with your horse trotting so you are not hindering it at all! Google Arabian Sport Horse In Hand and you will come up with a lot of info.

Comment

You still do a walk triangle and trot... Its not different at all from most in hand

You want tracking up at the trot, over stride at the walk...

Same stuff

The in hand champions Ive seen were extremely lofty and well built... They still bring a USEF/DF judge so if youve done open in hand or inspections then you plenty of experience
      ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
      http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Practice ALOT. The most important thing to do is teach your horse to stand up properly in an open stance, this is much easier to do at home then first time in the arena.

Also practice the trot and turning.

Preparation can win or lose you the in hand class.

Having said that its great fun
        I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Comment

What is open stance?

http://www.arabianhorses.org/competi...Story/Vol6.asp

The last picture on the left bottom of this page is how we stood ours.

Is that open stance?

Oh yeah its the leg place before the other in back right?
          ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
          http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

My boy went Top 8 at Sporthorse Nationals. Your small triangle you walk down the first line - turn and then extend the walk-they want to see fluid movement and a relaxed hip, the walk the third line, the larger triangle you trot the first line and then extend the trot through the back of the triangle, if you can entend your gait to match your horse it works good, then back to a normal trot up the final line. When you get back to te judge after you are done with the triangles, bring your horse to a slow stop, then stand him up again. You want a nice even stance on all four hooves. THey are looking for the manners of the horse, they shouldn't throw their head in the air when you make your turns, they should turn off you body not invade your space, you will need a snaffle bit bridle, a lead and the piece that you put on the bit and attach your bridle to it. Most judges don;t like you to use the reins of the bridle. Id you go out on the Arabian Horse Association website and look up sporthorse in hand they have a lot of good pointers. Make sure you practice a lot.
            Last edited by ArabX3; Feb. 12, 2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArabX3 View Post
              My boy went Top 8 at Sporthorse Nationals. Your small triangle you walk down the first line - turn and then extend the trot -they want to see fluid movement and a relaxed hip, the walk the third line, the larger triangle you trot the first line and then extend the trot through the back of the triangle, if you can entend your gait to match your horse it works good, then back to a normal trot up the final line. When you get back to te judge after you are done with the triangles, bring your horse to a slow stop, then stand him up again. You want a nice even stance on all four hooves. THey are looking for the manners of the horse, they shouldn't throw their head in the air when you make your turns, they should turn off you body not invade your space, you will need a snaffle bit bridle, a lead and the piece that you put on the bit and attach your bridle to it. Most judges don;t like you to use the reins of the bridle. Id you go out on the Arabian Horse Association website and look up sporthorse in hand they have a lot of good pointers. Make sure you practice a lot.

Errrrrr. you WALK the small triangle.

Not extend the trot.

Comment

The Arab shows do NOT use an Arabian Carded judge, their use either a USDF or Working Hunter Judge, or both - at the Sport Horse Nationals. One shows just as if showing In Hand at a USDF show. I would suggest using voice commands to help the horse understand things.

The walk triangle's second side, with the horse in profile to the judge, is where one says "Walk On," in a firm voice.

The trot triangle is a bit more complex, as you want to make sure the horse will go from the walk to a nice trot without having to be tugged along, or scared by a swishing whip. The turn from side one to side two won't go well if the horse can't slow up and won't allow you to push it to the right. Then you want the extended trot, with a much longer stride. You also need to collect the horse, for the turn onto the third side of the triangle. We use "Trot" for the regular trot, "Easy," for the two turns when the horse has to slow down, and a strong "TROT," for the extended trot.

And practice running. My daughter showed our gelding for us at the 2011 Sport Horse Nationals, she'd been jogging and sprinting every day for about 10 minutes for several months, to get in shape for the running. It was worth it, he was Top Ten - standing fifth in points - out of almost 50 horses.

Try it, you'll have fun if you can run. I don't even try, I sit in the stands and grin at all my young friends out there gasping for breath!

Comment

Originally posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
                  What is open stance?

http://www.arabianhorses.org/competi...Story/Vol6.asp

The last picture on the left bottom of this page is how we stood ours.

Is that open stance?

Oh yeah its the leg place before the other in back right?
                  an open stance is so that the judge can see all four legs from either side of the horse. The left bottom is more the "ärabian" halter stance. The class is mostly on manners and conformation anyway most judges would accept the "arabian" stance. I even had judges ask me to stand my horse square in sport horse in hand.

Definatly practice practice practice... try and get your horse to move its feet by you moving as little as possible. My horse is trained to move each foot by me looking at in and i will lean either slightly back (if i want him to move the foot forward) or forward (if i want him to move the foot back)

Comment

Working...
                  X