• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

For a Change of Pace...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a Change of Pace...

Is it just me or does the dressage forum seem over run with negativity?

For one, I love dressage. I love how it improves my horses; I love how there's so much to learn; I love the physical skill and muscle memory required to ride dressage well.

I realized that the shows and competitions are run for people by people, and have their issues (because let's face it, horse people are nucking futs). I still enjoy seeing strong, shiny horses and their dedicated riders trying their best to strut their stuff.

Anyone else still see any thing good in dressage?

I agree with you. I think just this economy has everyone a little down, and since we're on a dressage BB, that's where people take it out on.

Comment

Thumbs up for a thread on the positive!

Dressage is awesome for equine physical therapy, it's awesome to strengthen a horse's weak spots, it's awesome to make a horse more beautiful, as any fit athlete is beautiful.

It's not right, IMO, for dressage to be catching so much bad press in light of what other "disciplines" put animals through. Compared to those, dressage is a humane, knowledge-based, thinking-man's discipline.

Dressage and cross-training brought my gelding back to productivity. Careful ring work, hill work and judicious use of cavalletti fixed his injured back and restored his muscles.

Yeah, I've seen people ride "dressage" (so-called!) badly. People who think that rollkuring their weak-backed horses will "fix" it. People who water-ski & ride front to rear. People who think they're training, but can't ride a sitting trot.That's ignorant riding, perhaps cruel riding, but it's not dressage riding.

Yes, I love dressage.

Comment

Oh no I am hooked! And singing LONDON LONDON because its gonna be a show!

Dressage is a fantastic sport where anyone at any level can play... Who can find bad in that? Oh thats right... Some can

From the top to the bottom there is excellence in this sport I ignore the rest !
        ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
        http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Beasmom View Post
          Yes, I love dressage.
          Me, too. I love it because it's based on correctness of the rider and the horse. There are no shortcuts or quick fixes for human or animal. You just have to keep working until you get it right.

And for me, there will ALWAYS be something to work on, which is another reason I love it. My horse and I finally get something we've been working on and a whole new world of things to "get" opens up.

PS -- a few horsey friends have recently begun taking dressage lessons. One of them pulled me aside the other day and said "I had NO idea how HARD this stuff is." Cracked me up.

Comment

Seriously? Are we five the only visitors of the COTH dressage forum who love dressage and find the negativity over the top?

Seriously?

Comment

Maybe we're the only ones who actually ride, Bea.

Comment

Move over, mp. The rest of life pales compared to the challenges and delights of riding a light, responsive, freely moving forward, generous horse. And I think there's something to be admired in all the top international horses. Perfect? No, but holy, moly, there are a lot of amazing horses and riders in the world and lots of not-so-amazing horses who get better and better with good, dressage training.

Comment

I <3 Dressage! Everything about bringing out the innate talents and enhancing the symmetry of the horse What's not to love??

We've had some spectacular weather lately, so I've been able to ride outside a couple of times already!! The horses have all made tons of progress over the winter and I personally can not wait for the show season to start in another 6-8 weeks!

As for the negativity...well...glass half empty is the way a lot of people look at the world. *shrug*

Life is way too short to dwell on the unpleasant detritus that there is. Better to focus on the happy moments and bright spots IMO!
                  Attached Files
                  Watermark Farm
                  Blog
                  Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
                  You Tube Channel

Comment

Horse people are crazy? Yep. I'm pretty much obsessed!

I have loved dressage since I was around 4, and always dreamt of it. I mistakenly believed all the people around me about how expensive it was, and how you had to be rich to be able to ride dressage. While my horse and I aren't going to become international quality competitors, it's fun to dream. At 34 I am as in love with my horse as if I were a pony clubber with her first horse, and about 2 1/2 years into my dressage experience I have learned that I could have started riding many years ago! I think I learned valuable things in my other experience which I am now applying so I don't regret it, but boy am I thrilled that the 28 years of wanting to do something I didn't think I could are over and I find myself here.
                    If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                    -meupatdoes

Comment

Where's the "like" button? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mp View Post
                        Maybe we're the only ones who actually ride, Bea.
                        Hahahahaha! May be!

Comment

Tasker, I love the horse, but I COVET those boots! They look so good with your red boy. But I'm sure they'd look equally grand with my much smaller redhead.

Comment

Originally posted by mp View Post
                            Tasker, I love the horse, but I COVET those boots! They look so good with your red boy. But I'm sure they'd look equally grand with my much smaller redhead.
                            I noticed them in some facebook posts this morning - I agree. They are gorgeous!

One of my friends and I have an understanding that if we are "critiquing" an upper level or international-type horse and rider we don't have to go through the "but they're obviously better than I am/this is only in comparison to other horses at the same level" disclaimers. I take any criticism/critique of upper level horses on this board the same way, because to take it otherwise would just be too disheartening to me. I am careful if I discuss horses in public, but my friend and I have these nerdy discussions to help improve our ability to see things, and it's obviously ALL better than we or our horses can do!
                            If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                            -meupatdoes

Comment

The boots were my Christmas from Mom & Dad and my Ebay find of the decade! New in the box Petries - $455 including the shipping from France. They are a perfect fit and had been worn once in the store, brought home and then listed on Ebay. I only wear them for 'good' things - clinics, photo shoots, etc. They have to last a long time!

Mom & Dad were awesome to buy them! And then to have bred me some many nice horses to ride is icing on a very large cake of good fortune! I am blessed.
                              Watermark Farm
                              Blog
                              Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
                              You Tube Channel

Comment

For the most part I think much of the negativity is indeed warranted - there is a lot of bad dressage and bad just plain ol' riding and training out there, all the way to and including the uppermost levels (the latter irking me the most, since the top riders should know better, imo). And I am an incurable optimist! As netg said, this is not to say these individuals we are criticizing are not better than me, in all likelihood they are - by far However I still hold them to just as high a standard as I hold myself in regards to horse training and riding in dressage specifically, and even if I do not ride at their level, I see what I see, so I still feel the need to criticize at times. These upper riders are the ones setting the bar so imo it is important they train in a manner that is correct and of most benefit to the horse.

I hated dressage as a kid, I hated all flatwork. It was boring!! Seeing a clinic by Mette Rozencrantz a few years ago is what really sparked my interest in dressage specifically, and then learning to apply that dressage classically and correctly and seeing and FEELING the phenomenal results in my horses - that is what hooked me. I wish I had the time and finances to compete in it but I can only do so much and my focus is jumpers since I love it just a tad more But I'll add to the chorus that I LOVE dressage!!! I had a GREAT week with my horses this last week. Wednesday morning I draaaaagged myself out of bed early in the a.m. (I never got to sleep in a single day I had off, haha!) to ride my jumper Thoroughbred gelding (the scatterbrain) - feeling his back 'pop' more than it ever has was an incredible and very addicting feeling. He is long-backed, lazy in how he uses himself (despite being uber competitive and high energy), and a little nutty at times, so it has been a long road getting him to where he is now. Thursday and Tuesday we had great lessons that started with dressage and finished with jumping - I accomplished a lot with the aforementioned gelding and even experienced a few (dressage and jumping) epiphanies. The dressage is so crucial to the success of our jumping and I cannot say enough about how amazing dressage can feel I can't wait to further our dressage training and will always incorporate it with our jumping (as I do incorporate it - dressage that is - in the training of any horse I work with now). Maybe we will even compete a little dressage on the side or one day it will replace jumping ()
                                ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                                ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Dressage is so much better than it was. There's just more of it and we have so much media access, we can complain easier. Dressage is a natural part of any riding you do, so of course we should love it. It applies to anything we do.

I'm at a barn with no dressage people, and I'm by far and away the highest level rider. The manager/a trainer kind of does English/ Western, whatever kind of riding to make people happy, but we get along great. She doesn't really know dressage, but she was watching me ride (and as I have way too many bad habits with no mirrors and no one to tell me what I'm doing wrong enough) and made a suggestion I just breath through the changes I was working on to get them through. It was a great suggestion.

That's why dressage is great. Any horse person who knows a whit can give you common sense advice and be helpful because it all should make sense.

I wish I could say the upper level riders are so bad--it would make me look really good. There are bad trends, as there always are, but the riders are SO much better than they used to be, at all levels.

Comment

I love dressage and I love how buff it makes my horse too!
                                    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
                                    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
                                    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
                                    My Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs-n-Frodo View Post
                                      I love dressage and I love how buff it makes my horse too!

Ditto this!

Nothing ever warrants negativity... It warrants action and education but wasted keystrokes on this board about EVERY SINGLE good horse just seems to me more of a misery loves company type thing.

It is not just complaining about ONE style of training either... Its more of a fun sucker blanket type misery that perpetuates and attracts more fun suckers UGH
                                      Last edited by NOMIOMI1; Feb. 4, 2012, 01:40 AM.

Comment

oops repost
                                        Last edited by NOMIOMI1; Feb. 4, 2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X