• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

girth for girthy filly? update: sore on either side of withers :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• girth for girthy filly? update: sore on either side of withers :(

update: I finally got a reaction out of palpating her back. She's very sore on their side of her withers. The rest of her back is fine, just the standard reaction to pressing hard. No reaction to pressing on her belly or sides. Very reactive to the surcingle, which puts pressure around the sore spot on her withers. My jumping saddle, which has felt over the CAIR from my old Bates, seems to get the least reaction from her. The fit isn't ideal just standing there, and I've only ridden her in it once or twice, so who knows long term. It does look like I will be in the market for a new saddle once I get ex-hubby's Billy Cook sold.

My filly is pretty girthy, and I wanted to start with a new girth first. Her saddle seems to fit well, though it could also be that. Unfortunately I'm 3.5 hours from a trainer, and as far from a vet that's worth anything. Hence trying a few things before digging deeper into my currently-shallow pockets.

She's currently in a Wintec Elastic that fits almost up to the flaps of the saddle. It's not pinching at her elbows. It anything it seems to sit back a bit. I had a Soft Touch that rubbed her pretty badly, so that's a no-go. She's barely w-t-c at this point, but she's just not quite right, and it starts with the girth. Saddle by itself doesn't bother her. Even a looser girth doesn't seem to make it better on the lunge. She's so round I can't ride with it too loose or when she wiggles, the saddle slips a bit.

mohair? sheepskin cover? contoured? I'm on a budget, so no $250 girths. Around $100 is fine though. Of course less is better, and used is fine too.
    Last edited by Hampton Bay; Feb. 4, 2012, 06:18 PM.

Check out Tack of the day Thinline girths till noon tomorrow
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

dressage extensions carries a great girth under 100. It's the neoprene one here http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr...l.asp?KEY=2788

girthiness can be a saddle fit as well though!
      Humans don’t mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. –Sebastian Junger

Comment

how about the smartpak fleece girth for 30 something dollars? I have one for my round arab mare and it doesn't slip badly on her (altho she does need an anatomic girth but thats another story). Anyway I would buy another one, it has held up well.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh, I should mention that elastic doesn't seem to work too well on her. She's so round that it lets the saddle slide a bit more than idea unless I get it so tight that she ends up really unhappy.

I do know the issue can be saddle fit. I have 3 that I can use on her. One of them fits perfectly, until she lifts her back. Another seems to fit her very well, and when she trots it doesn't lift in the back. The tree points match her shape perfectly. It's a bit unstable on her, side to side, but she has big gaits, and I have gotten used to the nubuck seat and knee rolls of my dressage saddle, so that's going to be a huge part of why it feels unstable. The third I haven't tried on her recently. There is no one here to borrow from since I can't ride in a western saddle. So the girth is the first effort, and if that doesn't help I'll start looking to saddle fit.

Comment

• Original Poster

I wonder about this one maybe? http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=27002

Comment

I like this girth for my round guys, and then cover it in the biggest, thickest sheepskin I can find.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...th/p/X1-02194/

No more girthiness...

Comment

How sensitive is she? Thin-skinned? Ticklish? Can you brush her belly without trouble? If she's any of those, you'll need some kind of a fleece/sheepskin where the girth touches her belly. My PSL mare is ultra-sensitive, and when started as a filly she protested just about everything. I've got her in a SmartPak girth with fleece against the hair.
                Megan

"The horse you get off is not the same horse that you got on. It's our task as riders to make sure that the difference is for the better."

Comment

Try using a string girth. I found that it was the only thing that worked on my filly.

Comment

You might want to have a Chiropractor check her out to see if she has a rib out of place. We've seen that as the problem when young horses are very girthy.
                    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

My filly is also the 'don't like it' type. Habitual teeth grinder near other horses (like 25' near!) and girthy. I bought a $25 surcingle pad (its designed to go under the surcngle at the withers). Its really puffy and really wide. I used it under my girth and girthed ever-so-slowly for a month or two and she's over it. I also brush her belly where the girth goes fairly vigorously before saddling.
                      Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

I'll second the string girth, though my girthy girl does well in her elastic girth as well. She is round too and it doesn't slide. Maybe yours is too stretchy, mine if fully elastic and quite stiff, honestly I would say it slips less than leather. I got it for $20 at a hunter jumper show in the mobile tack room (guess they didn't have a lot of buyers for 20" brown elastic short girths ), not sure what brand it is but passier makes a similar one.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/passie...rth-5154p.aspx

cheaper version
                        http://www.horsetackco.com/barnstabl...age-girth.html

Just looked at the Wintec and it's totally different than the elastic girth I use.

Mine is also very thin skinned and the wrong girth will rub her raw. Both the fully elastic girth and the string girths work great with her.

Comment

• Original Poster

She is thin-skinned like her mom, sensitive to the touch. I don't remember what she does when I brush her belly. I'll have to check.

I thought I would also try just the surcingle on her, girthed about as tight as I would girth a saddle, and see how what goes. Might give me some more to go on.

This past week has been so busy, and now we have had about 4.5" of rain in less than 36 hours, so riding her very soon isn't going to happen. My pasture is flooded, and being on clay it usually takes a week to dry out enough from this kind of rain.

Comment

Originally posted by ise@ssl View Post
                            You might want to have a Chiropractor check her out to see if she has a rib out of place. We've seen that as the problem when young horses are very girthy.
                            Same here. My daughter's horse becomes girthy on occasion, and a chiro adjustment makes a big difference.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Watermark Farm View Post
                              Same here. My daughter's horse becomes girthy on occasion, and a chiro adjustment makes a big difference.
                              the problem is finding one!! I'm almost 2 hours from a vet worth even bothering with, and they just do basic stuff. I'm literally in the middle of nowhere. There is some massage lady who is supposed to be good, but no chiro.

Comment

Originally posted by Hampton Bay View Post
                                She's barely w-t-c at this point, but she's just not quite right, and it starts with the girth. Saddle by itself doesn't bother her. Even a looser girth doesn't seem to make it better on the lunge.
                                The fact that she is barely w-t-c at this point makes me think she could also simply be uncomfortable with the u/s process yet, resulting in the girthy-ness. How is she in transitions u/s?

I would also of course consider ulcers, saddle fit, chiro/MT, and what you are doing u/s. I've worked with quite a few horses who were sore u/s (requiring chiro/MT) and who responded by being girthy. Try the MT near you, she might be able to help your filly even if it is just to tell you where she needs adjusting; she might also be able to refer you to a chiro near you whom you are not aware of. Horses who do not like the work being asked of them u/s - for whatever individual reason - can also respond by being girthy ime. In this case, consider what you are asking of her and how you are asking it (ie, your hands, position, the actual work, etc).
                                ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                                ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

• Original Poster

She transitions very willingly with just a light leg (up) or slight holding of my body (down). She's very sensitive like her dam is. I ride very softly on her, soft following contact, etc. I'm not asking her for much other than to listen and respond. She's beyond smart, seriously the smartest horse I've ever sat on, and she really responds well to "good girl".

I'm used to riding hot, sensitive horses, so I'm pretty good at staying out of her way and riding softly.

I am a bit paranoid about soundness issues with her anyway. She cut her pastern/heel a few years ago pretty badly, down to the tendons, and it healed with a good bit of scar tissue. She's never been lame on it except very briefly when it abscessed while healing. She also reared once as a foal and flipped herself over backwards, landing on her back. Luckily she landed on soft sand, and again she never showed any signs of being lame or sore after that. But I am a worrier, especially with her because she was my first foal.

Comment

What is her turnout situation and her feed program? Ulcers could be a consideration. Based on the additional info you've given, I would focus on it potentially being a physical issue requiring a chiro/MT first. Who knows of course it could be just about the girth (or saddle fit of course, which you noted you are considering), but ime more often it is about more than simply the girth alone.

Still keep in mind her being green u/s could still have something to do with it, especially when she is a sensitive mare - she might simply require more time growing accustomed to the feel of the girth and saddle. Often however you see resistance in transitions with such horses (though of course not always). She might not react differently to the surcingle alone if these are already 'established' behaviours now (but try it!). You say you're 3.5 hours from a trainer but if the trainer is one you respect, could you send them a video of the tacking up process and of her going u/s and on the ground without a rider?

Good luck! No one likes seeing their babies in discomfort or unhappy but I am sure you will figure it out. Don't forget to post updates for us! Topics such as these are always learning opportunities for all of us
                                    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                                    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

• Original Poster

I finally got a reaction out of palpating her back. She's very sore on either side of her withers. The rest of her back is fine, just the standard reaction to pressing hard. No reaction to pressing on her belly or sides. Very reactive to the surcingle, which puts pressure around the sore spot on her withers. My jumping saddle, which has felt over the CAIR from my old Bates, seems to get the least reaction from her. The fit isn't ideal just standing there, and I've only ridden her in it once or twice, so who knows long term. It does look like I will be in the market for a new saddle once I get ex-hubby's Billy Cook sold.

So anyone have recommendations for a saddle that will work for a wide, round, baby who might sprout withers and is VERY VERY flat in profile? And moves very uphill? And isn't Wintec/Bates? I hate saddle shopping.

I will call the massage lady too of course. Might try riding her bareback since she has a ton of mane to grab. I have a friend who can lunge me on her, who has a nice smaller arena and a round pen too.

Comment

for years my PRE x mare expressed her disdain for girthing. We tried string, fleece, wintec---all resulted in pinned ears and a swishy tail. What ultimately suited her was an "anatomic" girth", all leather, no elastic. County Logic is probably the prototype, although mine is made by Prestige (also found a spare on ebay by Custom Saddlery).
                                        She has literally forgotten she hates being girthed. And by fitting so nicely into her forward girth groove, the saddle stays put on her round barrel.
                                        Balance is the perfect state of still water (Confucius)

Comment

Working...
                                        X