• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Workouts for your core :) Gimme your best ones!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workouts for your core :) Gimme your best ones!

I started Ab Attack again on my netflix by "Crunch" workout routines. Tons of squats, abs, and um squats

I love it for core workouts...

I'd like to know of some more... Something I can order online or get on netflix would be great!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

pilates: plank, sideplank, 100's.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Comment

Exercise TV Yoga Slims (48 mins)
      Exercise TV Yoga for Abs with Tom Whorley (11 mins)
      Bryan Kest Yoga 2-3
      (These being that flavor of yoga that leaves me shaky and drooling focus on yogi bicycles, plank on one arm, awkward chair, leg extended DD crunches)
      Pilates
      Kettle Bells
      Last edited by trabern; Jan. 24, 2012, 12:01 PM. Reason: ETA: All these avail on Apple TV or netflix or online
      At all times, we are either training or untraining.
      Flying Haflinger blog: http://flyinghaflinger.blogspot.com/ Flying Irish Draught blog: http://flyingirishredhead.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by BetterOffRed View Post
        pilates: plank, sideplank, 100's.
        In ab attack they do planks too!
        ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
        http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

I love the P90x ab ripper and legs adn back. I saw a huge difference in my riding ability when I did P90x and focused on legs and back work out and ab ripper.

I also like Insanity. There is a lot of core work in that video series and you get the cardio with the core workout.

Comment

There are two "10-minute Solutions" Pilates videos on Netflix streaming. They're great because you can change up the routines to just focus on abs, upper or lower body, or a 10-minute allover workout if you're pressed for time.

Comment

These are all good examples, just wanted to add: don't neglect your back. I learned the hard way that abs aren't everything, and its very easy to become unbalanced if you don't focus on both. I feel that I've actually achieved more through strengthening my back muscles and improving my posture than working my abs beyond 10-15 minutes of daily maintenance.

Comment

Good point about not neglecting the back and the rest of the body for that matter!

That's why I really like Pilates and Yoga. Maybe I have really good instructors, but I know that I can feel "new" muscles all-over after taking their classes, not just in my abs.

I went to a so-called "yoga" class at the gym last week, that was really a mix of fast-paced yoga and Pilates. What a workout that was!
                Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

Success in the Saddle. It is a great series of 6 (now 8) 20-minute workouts that give you a nice workout with a focus on core. The more I read about working out, the more I appreciate their balance and design. Highly recommend.

Comment

Do you have a smartphone? I can recommend the Nike Training. It's free and has great workouts of all kind, including some specifically focusing on the core.

Other than that:

Bicycle crunches are great.
                    Kickdowns.
                    Walking planks (from plank to your elbows and back up, so hard!!)
                    Side planks
                    Plank to rotation (knee to other elbow)

Standing balance poses work your core, too. If you're a yoga person, you will know some of those.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Fixating View Post
                      These are all good examples, just wanted to add: don't neglect your back. I learned the hard way that abs aren't everything, and its very easy to become unbalanced if you don't focus on both. I feel that I've actually achieved more through strengthening my back muscles and improving my posture than working my abs beyond 10-15 minutes of daily maintenance.
                      The abdominals serve to flex, rotate and extend the spine, as well as stabilize it in any position. Exercises that engage the abdominals in primarily concentric contractions (like crunches in a supine position on the mat) are great if you're weak in that area, but they don't provide an overall balance to the rest of your abdominal wall and back. This is why planks (done correctly) are so effective. Stabilizing the spine in a neutral position isometrically (muscles don't lengthen or shorten) develops our pelvic and scapular stabilizers, resulting in less tension and/or pain as we return to upright functional positions. Eccentric movements - particularly with the abdominals - are, in my opinion, even better. In an eccentric movement the muscle lengthens as the tension increases due to a greater force. Do I want to sit on a horse (or in a chair, or stand) flexed forward into a c-shape with my spine? No. I want to be in a stabilized, vertically neutral position. If I find that vertical neutral position seated on the mat with my knees bent and feet flat, and engage the abdominals to maintain that position while hinging backward from the hip, I'll feel the eccentric effect on not only the rectus, but also the obliques and transverse abdominus. The multifidus around my spine will work bilaterally to keep my spine from rotating, and the erector spinae will be engaged isometrically to prevent my spine from extending. I won't have to hinge back very far to feel this effect, and I only want to go back as far as I can maintain that neutral position. An exercise like this challenges the core to get stronger, but benefits my end-goal - an upright column in the tack.

As riders we also must consider exercises and how they effect our hips and lumbo-pelvic region. Plyometrics or other exercises that encourage dynamic movement increase the challenge on the joint to both stabilize and mobilize. We lose control over these end-range movements when we begin to fatigue and, thusly, compromise the health of the joint. Squats and lunges encourage quite a bit of hip flexion. As riders, our hips are almost always flexed in the tack, and if we're not strong through the core we can actually increase that load on the hip to the point there is 24/7 gripping or tightening at the joint. Again, balancing the development of the muscle and/or group is key. Developing the hip extensors (glutes primarily and some hamstrings), as well as the hip adductors (inner thighs) will balance the typical rider development scenario: over-development of the lateral rotators of the hip and hip flexors. This is where squats are beneficial. I think they're most-effective and beneficial when done in such a way that the spine remains upright and neutral as the hip flexes and the knee bends. Gravity assists in the downward movement so the flexion at the hip isn't as prominent, but on the way up, the focus should be on the glutes working to return the pelvis to upright neutral. If neutral is retained throughout, the abdominal wall will, again, be challenged as it is in plank, or the hinge I described earlier.

It's not about quantity of reps, it's about quality of engagement and stopping prior to causing injury.

Visit www.stottpilates.com for more information and a really amazing library of AT-HOME dvds.
                      When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Comment

About a year ago I started weekly pilates and yoga (not fast) classes. While I'm pretty strong generally, even as the calendar is flipping by, I really didn't have much of a "core".

That has changed completely and overall I'm stronger and more flexible. But one of the BEST things about these classes is that I am much more able to isolate various body parts; to do something w/ one and not get all out of kilter with the rest.

Instructors in the class are constantly saying "move x and don't wiggle y; relax shoulders and neck"
                        We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

I love BeamFit, and their three main work outs. Abs; Hips, Thighs and Buttocks; and BeamLates. I'm a huge fan, actually. It makes you do all the workouts, while balanced on a beam, so it works your core both in the exercise as well as while you are balanced on a 6" wide beam, about 1.5-2" off the ground.
                          Carli
                          dressage. n, the passionate pursuit of perfection by the obsessively imperfect.

Comment

P90x and insanity have helped tremendous with my riding. Im now doing a hybrid of the two programs. My core has gotten so much stronger which has helped with me sit the trot. I love the variety of the workouts and P90x focuses on all the muscles. It's great

Comment

I have been working out with a personal trainer since April. She is terrific and has so many exercises. Most challenging core one recently has been to do a plank with my feet on the wall about 6 inches off the ground. We did a 30 second one and then a 45 second. It was pretty challenging/painful/awful.

Comment

I do the crunch time pilates.... focused on my core...they are amazing
                                Nothing better than an OTTB.... Just Plan Partners,Penny, you have stolen my heart<3

http://secondchancethoroughbreds.org

Comment

Find a Bar Method or other Lotte Berk derived class in your area. You will get incredibly strong and flexible... but your physique will be much more similar to that of a dancer than a gym rat.

I've been taking classes for many months now, and not only do I look like the girls in the pictures (finally), but I've noticed all kinds of benefits in the saddle.

Comment

Get a bar with free weights
                                    Do squats with your head up and looking towards the ceiling as you squat. Impossible to cheat and it will do wonders for your core

Kneel on ground with bar in front

Roll out until you belly is almost touching the ground, then go back. Have fun. Even 3 reps will kill. Once you are up to 20 your core is rock.

You don't have to go anywhere to do this!

Comment

Squats and walking leg lunges...oh yeah, and digging post holes for fences...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by touchadream View Post
                                        I love the P90x ab ripper and legs adn back. I saw a huge difference in my riding ability when I did P90x and focused on legs and back work out and ab ripper.

I also like Insanity. There is a lot of core work in that video series and you get the cardio with the core workout.

Originally posted by Dressagefit View Post
                                        P90x and insanity have helped tremendous with my riding. Im now doing a hybrid of the two programs. My core has gotten so much stronger which has helped with me sit the trot. I love the variety of the workouts and P90x focuses on all the muscles. It's great

P90X2 focuses even more on the core, but absolutely, the first one, along with Insanity (and Asylum ), are fantastic for core work. The exercises that aren't even focused on the core still have a core component.

Originally posted by Robby Johnson View Post
                                        The abdominals serve to flex, rotate and extend the spine, as well as stabilize it in any position. Exercises that engage the abdominals in primarily concentric contractions (like crunches in a supine position on the mat) are great if you're weak in that area, but they don't provide an overall balance to the rest of your abdominal wall and back. This is why planks (done correctly) are so effective. Stabilizing the spine in a neutral position isometrically (muscles don't lengthen or shorten) develops our pelvic and scapular stabilizers, resulting in less tension and/or pain as we return to upright functional positions. Eccentric movements - particularly with the abdominals - are, in my opinion, even better. In an eccentric movement the muscle lengthens as the tension increases due to a greater force. Do I want to sit on a horse (or in a chair, or stand) flexed forward into a c-shape with my spine? No. I want to be in a stabilized, vertically neutral position. If I find that vertical neutral position seated on the mat with my knees bent and feet flat, and engage the abdominals to maintain that position while hinging backward from the hip, I'll feel the eccentric effect on not only the rectus, but also the obliques and transverse abdominus. The multifidus around my spine will work bilaterally to keep my spine from rotating, and the erector spinae will be engaged isometrically to prevent my spine from extending. I won't have to hinge back very far to feel this effect, and I only want to go back as far as I can maintain that neutral position. An exercise like this challenges the core to get stronger, but benefits my end-goal - an upright column in the tack.

As riders we also must consider exercises and how they effect our hips and lumbo-pelvic region. Plyometrics or other exercises that encourage dynamic movement increase the challenge on the joint to both stabilize and mobilize. We lose control over these end-range movements when we begin to fatigue and, thusly, compromise the health of the joint. Squats and lunges encourage quite a bit of hip flexion. As riders, our hips are almost always flexed in the tack, and if we're not strong through the core we can actually increase that load on the hip to the point there is 24/7 gripping or tightening at the joint. Again, balancing the development of the muscle and/or group is key. Developing the hip extensors (glutes primarily and some hamstrings), as well as the hip adductors (inner thighs) will balance the typical rider development scenario: over-development of the lateral rotators of the hip and hip flexors. This is where squats are beneficial. I think they're most-effective and beneficial when done in such a way that the spine remains upright and neutral as the hip flexes and the knee bends. Gravity assists in the downward movement so the flexion at the hip isn't as prominent, but on the way up, the focus should be on the glutes working to return the pelvis to upright neutral. If neutral is retained throughout, the abdominal wall will, again, be challenged as it is in plank, or the hinge I described earlier.

It's not about quantity of reps, it's about quality of engagement and stopping prior to causing injury.

Visit www.stottpilates.com for more information and a really amazing library of AT-HOME dvds.
                                        Great post Robby!

It's not just about the abs. Your core is EVERYTHING, front to back, full 360, from your hips to your armpits.

There are a thousand variations of plank work, a thousand variations of ab work (and many of them don't involve laying down) and many, many variations of back work to get that angle too.

Yoga is great. Pilates is great. Weights are great, but even then, you don't always even need physical weights to get this work done - your own body weight can be used greatly against you

Push-ups - yes, it's traditionally for the chest, but done RIGHT, it's also core work. Same with pullups/chinups, and the variations there can increase the core work.

Comment

Working...
                                        X