• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I'm stuck. And my horse is stuck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stuck. And my horse is stuck

I'm very frustrated right now, and have been for the past 3 weeks.
    It seems in these 3 weeks, my normally, responsive, forward , sweetheart of a horse has basically said "I have had enough of your sh!t! I'm through with you!"

It started about the first week in June. would NOT move forward at all. had to whip and whip just to pick up a trot-so obviously something was off. No lameness though on the lunge, just didn't really want to move forward. Had the chiropractor out, he got adjusted. We also had the saddle refitted for him, and for good measure, I gave him a week off.

Got on him Tuesday, definitely more forward. Not at all relaxed whatsoever. Suddenly, I can't keep him round...when up until June, if anything, its been an issue to get himself to lift himself. Now he's hollow. The canter feels AWFUL. No impulsion whatsoever. I kick him, use the whip, he kicks out at my leg. Get off in frustration, put him on the lunge and get him going forward. Lets out a couple of bucks and then hhe's forward again.

I had trainer get on him on Thursday.he went beautifully for her. She said he felt a little bit stiff and hesitant for the first couple of minutes, but that was the whole story. Apparently I'm just not steady enough with my contact and I allow him to get out of using his back. (which is entirely possible) Got on afterwards, he was phenomenal-light, responsive, but better yet, no weird feeling at the canter. Maybe because his back was engaged?

Got on him today, and again, I got that feeling that he was stuck in the back. I'm trying very hard to get him to go long and low (which before wasn't a problem, but now suddenly is!). Finally, I had enough, took him out on the racetrack for a long gallop, and then after, our trot and canter work was a lot better, although the canter still felt a bit hesitant.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Trainer thought maybe bungees for a couple of weeks, assuming that I can keep him off the forehand while still riding him forward. Trainer is back on Wednesday-Thursday and I think its going to be lessons, lessons and more lessons, because I'm frustrated with myself. I must be riding like utter crap to be getting this reaction I know he's not lame. He COULD be sore in the back, but has never demonstrated any problems whatsoever with trainer on him. I can't imagine what has changed so much in my riding to see this drastic reaction from him, but I really want to change. At least before, while we had issues, I felt like we were improving. Now, I'm psyched if I feel like I can trot/canter and get a good rhythm.

We were going to debut at first level this year. I cn't even see us getting around a training level class the way we look
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

sounds like you have first level itis. don't put so much pressure on yourself or the horse. there are supposed to be days that don't go so well.

relax.

take some riding lessons.

Comment

I agree with slc. I've seen many people at our barn get just freaked out over inconsistencies when they are starting to work on first level and developing that first degree of real "push" in their horses.

If you just concentrate on forward and alignment on the outside rein and don't fuss, your horse (and you) will gradually calm and get consistent again.

My good friend also has a serious case of first level-itis at the moment (which, medically speaking, would be "inflammation of the first level," lol).

Don't get frustrated and don't get emotional. And don't drive your horse crazy trying to fuss them into submission. Just do the work and relax and *breathe* and think happy thoughts about first level. You'll be amazed at what a difference it makes.

Spectrum.

Comment

• Original Poster

Right now, I'd just be thrilled to death if I could have the canter that I had a month ago. At least it felt like it was going some place.
        Now it just feels like a) either he's really stiff in the back or b) he's rushed and tense.

There's seems to be no happy medium for us. When I do get him going, its rushed and my half halts just seem to irritate him. If I don't get him going, I feel like he's so tight that he feels like he wants to buck all the time.

*is frustrated*

and maybe it is because I'm thinking about it too much. I don't know. I just know that he's none too happy with me right now, and I'm not too thrilled with him either at the moment!
        In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Comment

Sign up for free on TheHorse.com (if you aren't a member already) and do a search for the

AAEP Convention 2004: sacroiliac pain

Does what the article descibes sound like your horse?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Luv T Ryd View Post
            Sign up for free on TheHorse.com (if you aren't a member already) and do a search for the

AAEP Convention 2004: sacroiliac pain

Does what the article descibes sound like your horse?

and its definitely possible. he's quite long backed.we had the chiro out, who adjusted him (his sacrum was a bit swollen actually, she thought it might have been from a fall) but then he was fine after, and is fine when trainer gets on too. he also has no difficulty with lateral movement, and he doesn't change legs in the canter...but other then that, it sounds fairly accurate. so I don't know.

Comment

Frustration is one of the greatest enemies of good riding ever invented!

I think you gotten great advice - relax. Go out and gallop. It's good to have goals, but sometimes goals can get in the way of real progress.

Deep breath ... breathe ....
              www.moranequinephoto.com
              "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
              Byron

Comment

Maybe some variety of trail rides, jumping instead of drilling the same old stuff for the both of you.
                You'd be amazed at how much legyielding can be done on a trail raide as well as lengthenings going up a hill on trailrides.

Maybe you need to make riding for the both you. And might be helpful for you to get on other horses to feel different things.

Comment

he's quite long backed.we had the chiro out, who adjusted him (his sacrum was a bit swollen actually, she thought it might have been from a fall) but then he was fine after, and is fine when trainer gets on too.
                  Just keep an eye out for the possibilty of his back, but in the meantime ...

I agree with the trail riding idea. And galloping or cantering, or just plain going out an having some fun with him.

Do you have any hills around?

Hill work can be very beneficial for dressage. Going down the hill you can work on keeping your horse straight and you can really feel the hind legs enagaing as you go down. Going up the hill they have to reach and lengthen their back and neck - also beneficial for dressage.

Make sure you keep the rythym the same going up the hill as well as down the hill. It will help you greatly in your dressage work and tests. It is a perfect way to get the horse to listen to your aids. You can count the rythym. At the walk, ... one, two, three, four, one two, three four, ... now the horse usually wants to speed up going down and slow down going up, so you can have a great opportunity to begin to ask him to listen to your aids as you work on maintaining a steady rythym both up and down the hills.

Comment

I wouldn't panic, but I would take care that something isn't wrong. I have a hard time imagining that your riding is suddenly causing the issues, unless you are seriously panicking about FL and don't know it. FL takes just enough impulsion that odd ailments can show up, some times suddenly. Had it happen with two horses, so of course I'm paranoid. In both cases, as the horse sat that little extra, things popped up. One had a ligament tear in his croup which showed in his canter intermittently at first then more often. His canter felt flat behind and then he stopped taking his easy canter cues. My trainer could get on him and get him moving better too but in my case things degenerated and I just said, ok he's hurting as he was very cooperative for years and I had reason to think he might have had an injurry.

Anyway, best to take a deep breath. Be your horse's advocate and not his enemy. Could be you, could be he hurt himself in the field. Take time and figure it out. Good luck.

Comment

I went thru this at one point and it literally almost killed me. When my mare decided she had enough, she dumped me on my head, and two years later I still have a lot of issues. My neurologist says my helmet saved my life.

Avoid my mistake, which was to just push thru it. What I should have done was spend a month just trail riding, hacking around the property, a little bit of jumping, that kind of thing. You will not lose enough fitness in a month for it to hinder your progress, but the mental break will do both of you a world of good. When you notice that riding is really fun, then start to add some dressage work into your trail rides. School for 5 minutes in a field, do some shoulder-in down a flat section of trail, etc.

And then make sure you don't fall into the frustration trap again by settling for a really nice halt or rein back or TOF when you get frustrated, and then leave the arena. Take the occasional hack or trail ride to refresh you both mentally. You will be much happier for it.

I haven't had a fight with my mare since I fell off that time. It really was hard to learn to keep my head screwed on and not get frustrated and upset, and settling and walking away seemed like giving up, but it makes life so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalStorm View Post

Trainer thought maybe bungees for a couple of weeks, assuming that I can keep him off the forehand while still riding him forward.
                        What do you mean by bungees ?

Comment

Slow down.

A lot of SI issues take some time to show up.. they begin to become really preblematic when the scar tissue begins.

I cannot imagine your horse just woke up one day and gave you the middle finger.

So I'd slow down.. start hacking more, walking more... give it some time to heal without restricting movement. If it is the SI hopefully you will have dodged the bullet. But pushing a horse who acts like that after an injury is not a good idea, IMO.
                          "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                          ---
                          The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Your horse sounds like my little guy when he's overdue to see his Chiro....

Comment

If it were my horse I would take a step back to really determine if there is something physical going on. Sure, there are tons of horses that just have training issues that need some help from trainer. But, for your horse to just suddenly decide he doesn't want you to ride him? That seems odd to me. Especially since I just went through this with my gelding. He has always been a perfect gentleman. All of a sudden things started going crazy. We couldn't canter anymore, there were small bucking fits, and he was spooking at everything. Sure, my trainer could get on and ride him better than I could, but that's because she's a better rider! She could help him a little more than I could. After two months of total frustration I had the vet come out for a "I am GOING to figure out what is wrong with my horse!" appointment. After ten clean X-rays, several negative flexions, and some neuro exams we finally decided to pull his Lyme titer as he had had Lyme once before. Sure enough he was a fairly high positive. He is now getting 21 days of IV antibiotics and I can't wait to have my sweet horse back!!! Best of luck.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm definitely not panicking about FL, so I know that's not the problem. Hell, I'd be happy right now if we could just go back to w/t/c on the bit with some gait regularity and rhythm. I just don't know. Because at the walk and trot, he feels fine. A little tenser, maybe, but that's about it. But at the canter? It feels awful. Feels like he's in that moment of being so stiff that he feels like he should be bucking.

I think I'm leaning towards just taking it easy right now.
                                We're lucky enough to have a racetrack out back, so maybe i'll just work on forward walk and trot intervals and see how it goes

freedom, i might be misnaming thme. that's just what I always call them they are about 5-6ft long, completely elasticized all over and go from the bit to the girth. They can also be used to go from the girth to over the poll if needed (sort of like a degogue, but longer and more ability to be stretched and moved by the horse) Here's a picture of the shorter ones being used on the lunge. they sort of act as sidereins i believe. http://www.hidden-identity.net/arion...rionLunge2.JPG

Comment

After thinking about the whole thing, I tend to agree with dwblover and a couple of the other posters, that your horse doesn't just wake up one day and say he's going to give you a hard time if he has been fine up until this issue.

Maybe he did hurt himself a bit out in pasture or something.

So, taking it slow until you feel things are getting more relaxed is definately a good way to go.

Comment

Lately it seems way overdiagnosed, but my first thought was Lyme. Might not hurt to have a titer pulled? Good luck!
                                    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
                                    View my blog: http://standardbredexcellence.blogspot.com/

Comment

back lifts, pelvic tilts, cavaltti and, laser

Do back lifts, from the mid line, before tacking up, then with saddle on, girthed up ,and finally, with you mounted;The same with pelvic tilts; walking, then trotting over cavalletti on the ground may also help; possibly a laser on the back where the soreness is.
                                      breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

You take my post as you will. Knowing the horse I don't see him as being one of a nasty temper.He's never been that way. Not having seen him tho, I wouldn't know for sure but it sounds more like an injury issue than anything.

Comment

Working...
                                        X