• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

PDS Showtime Dressage Saddle- Reviews? For Short Backs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDS Showtime Dressage Saddle- Reviews? For Short Backs?

Hi.

I have a hony with a very short back -a saddle recomended the Prestige D1 (due to the shoulder cut aways). It allows me to ride in an 18''...but is $$$$

Trying to find a less expensive version google led me to " the PDS Showtime Dressage Saddle". It seems to have many of the D1 features at half the cost. However I cannot seem to find anything about it and my saddler is unfamiliar as well.

Anyone ridden in one?

TIA
    http://cuonxc.blogspot.com

There are a couple used D1's for sale on fine-used-saddles.com at good prices.

Comment

Recently did a multi-day test ride in the PDS Showtime w/Alto panels and really liked it. Well balanced and comfy, with supple leather and nice workmanship. I've also ridden in the D1... beautiful saddle, but tipped my pelvis forward.
      Patience pays.

Comment

• Original Poster

@out west -I know...but they are 17'' and I need an 18"" :/

@Melissa- thanks for the feedback! Do you mind if I ask where you got a test ride? And what seat you needed in the PDS vs the D1 (I know I need an 18 in the D1).

Thanks!

Comment

I kept trying to find out about these saddles, and could barely get any info, let alone a demo. I ended up buying a Kieffer Lusitano that is also for short backed horses, in an 18" and I should have it any day now. If I don't like it, they have 2 other models I can exchage it for to accomodate short backed horses. I also got free fittings and a pad with mine, as well as 2 years of free fittings as the trees are fully adjustable. That is great for me, as I live in a remote area and have a young horse. I will give an update when I get the saddle and try it. You could look for one used online. I saw a Kieffer Inzell on ebay for 2K that is one of the short backed options. Anyways, good luck as this part is my least favorite part of owning horses.

Comment

the lusitano is my favorite keiffer. you'll love it if you're built anything like me.

OP,
            how short is your horse's back?
            My guy is 15.1h barefoot, short coupled, and I have a 19" femur. Believe it or not we both fit in a passier antares 17.5"
            www.destinationconsensusequus.com
            chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

You won't find the PDS saddles for a little while as the manufacturer has pulled their inventory back to tweak the design. I had several of them and was very impressed. They fit well and the panel options were a major bonus. People felt they were very comfortable, but the twist was bulky and wide. The company plans to re-release the PDS line next year with a more streamlined feel for the rider. Once they do this, this is going to be a fantastic saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by NCSaddleFitter View Post
                You won't find the PDS saddles for a little while as the manufacturer has pulled their inventory back to tweak the design. I had several of them and was very impressed. They fit well and the panel options were a major bonus. People felt they were very comfortable, but the twist was bulky and wide. The company plans to re-release the PDS line next year with a more streamlined feel for the rider. Once they do this, this is going to be a fantastic saddle.
                I wish saddle manufacturers would realize not everyone likes riding narrow twists. I find narrow twists very uncomfortable to ride and much prefer a wider twist.
                "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."

Comment

• Original Poster

Very interesting!

4wd -who did you work with to get your saddle?

NCsaddlefitter -good info! I prefer a narrow twist so maybe I should wait.

I am 5'6'', 140, size 8. with a slightly long femur.

Moose is a 15h with a very short back.

I currently ride him in a Franks Baines Reflex close contact 17.5 wide. It is an old one and has foam panels. It fits us both adequately (it is a smidge wide so I have to use a half pad).

The issue we encounter is rocking and/ or going past the t18. The only dressage saddle that I have tried that truly fit him was a devoucoux -a friend's custom. Sadly I can't afford 5k+ and the panel configuration is so odd I have not found one used.

Comment

Petstorejunkie-I am so excited-I am 5'3 with a 19" femur as well so feel trapped in deep seated 17.5 saddles. I will second the Passier option as they are more open seated and give you a little more room that a deep seated one. I also saw they sell one called the Compact for short backed horses-but I couldn't get a demo anywhere I looked. OP, I bought mine from Ron Friedson who is the guy at 1800 Kieffer USA. I found him to be very polite, knowlegeable and prompt. You can just call and talk to him as see how you feel. Again, I haven't ridden in it yet though!

Comment

I work at a tack shop, and had the test saddle because it's one we're thinking about keeping in stock. I was told by the distributor about the change to the twist... it will be a "rolling" change in the inventotry, so there are still saddles available with the current twist. I was comfortable in a 17" PDS, and tried a 17" D1. I hope to try an 18" D1 to see if it resolves the tip issue, but the Optimax does the same to me in any size and I'm afraid it may just be a problem between me and Prestige dressage saddles.
                      Patience pays.

Comment

• Original Poster

4wd -please update after you ride -pretty please

Melissa -the 17 D1 tipped me forward....the 18 did not. For what it's worth

Comment

the PDS looks awesome to me, I prefer a deep seat but have a long femur, so the block looks like a nice length (though I'd like it a little shorter). The fact that its wool flocked, has a carbon fiber tree and is adjustable are all bonuses in my book. Definitely seems like a great alternative to the D1. I've been interested to hear what people think of these saddles who have tried them..

Comment

cuonxc- I got my saddle yesterday and rode in it for the first time. It seems to fit my mare and she moving more willingly fwd. There is a defintate place for your seat and won't le you sit anyhere else. That might take a few rides to get used to. I ride my other horse in a Wolfgang Solo short block which feels a bit more open in the seat than this one. The flap is extra forward which is perfect for my longer femur though. I am going to ride in a lesson and make sure I am not doing anything strange with my position. If you call Ron and tell him about you and your horse, he could most likely make a reccomendation specifically for you. Go luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks much for the review!

Comment

You could try a Lauriche. They ride small, like I normally need an 18" and my 17.5" is big for me. Mine is great for my 15.2h short-backed Arab. It doesn't sit too far back on him. He now won't go in anything else.

Comment

• Original Poster

That's interesting Hamptomn Bay -I was told a Lauriche probably would not work for his very short back as they tend to be longer???

It is interesting to find what works for horse and rider -so different for each of us! And also a huge PITA

Comment

If you want a cheap option... I bought a Tekna a couple months ago in a MW tree. It's fit everything i've put it on, well even! It's currently on a 13h welsh pony who wears a size 61 blanket... I have a 17.5" seat, it's deep and roomy and doesnt feel short in the seat, yet it fits fine on my 20"x40" dressage pad. I am 5'4 with a looong thigh and leg, 160lbs and a size 10. The twist is slightly wider, which is great cause it doesnt rub me raw, but doesnt bother me either. The knee roll isnt too big to drive me crazy or make me feel stuck, but substantial enough to help me out. I went through a bucking fit on the 13h pony yesterday and was able to stick it like glue and laugh even!

I bought this for my 14h welsh cob who is probably a bit more average backed, i would say she's short, others would say she looks long, but a 20" long dressage pad is the longest you could put on her or it's over her hip... So to me, she's short. This fits her perfect and though i've only gotten to walk her in it, due to an injury she's recovering from, she seems very comfortable with it. She usually takes a wide or x-wide tree, but i felt these ran a little wider and the MW fits her fine. They sell a wide option if you need wider. I used it on an assortment of ponies at a friends barn right after i bought it and liked it on all of them. I havent had any rocking with it, the panels are not flat and pointed at the back to dig into a shorter back, they round up a little with the curve of the seat, wide channel clearance.

It's $450, looks like a REALLY well made expensive saddle, and i dont have to worry about if it gets wet and can hose it off if it gets too cruddy. A FAR nicer saddle than any wintec i've ever used and half the price... Bonus, it looks like leather, not fake like a wintec, so no one will ever know, and to be honest, it really resembles many of the prestige models.

I bought mine from Victory Canter, and they come with a trial period with excellent customer service. I have the Tekna jumping saddle on my wish list... However, i do not know if Victory Canter is still carrying the saddles, they do not have them on their website right now, but still offer all the Tekna bridles and tack.

As a side note, they are supposed to be adjustable by a tekna dealer, but can only go to their settings of M, MW, and W... I'm not sure if it's wool flocking or foam, but it's nice and soft.
                                    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
                                    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

Comment

Pds Showtime

I actually own this saddle and it's fantastic, it is much higher quality than the Ankys much more of what you expect for a Pessoa designed saddle. It does fit short backs and the leather is so grippy I feel like I am cheating! I would buy another if I ever had another horse I thought it would fit. Unfortunatly the mare that I was using it on has built up so much back muscle I am going to have to find her a hoop tree. I really should sell this saddle but I am holding out on my gelding who tore his medial collateral ligament to use it on him because I adore it. I don't know where you live but if you are in Arizona anywhere youmare welcome to bring your horse and try it. Hope that helps you
                                      http://www.theconnectedrider.com/
                                      Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/connectedrider
                                      Follow us on Instagram:
                                      https://www.instagram.com/the_connected_rider/

Comment

Lol

I just realized you said you have a frank baines reflex too, lol we must have the same kind of horses, got one of those too on a different mare, the pds is a narrower twist than the reflex I have but not by much, but the panel on the reflex is much straighter, the pds is arched up for a horse with withers.
                                        http://www.theconnectedrider.com/
                                        Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/connectedrider
                                        Follow us on Instagram:
                                        https://www.instagram.com/the_connected_rider/

Comment

Working...
                                        X