• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Getting hot horse to slow down??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Getting hot horse to slow down??

    I have a horse that is not in front of my leg, but rather runs away from it. He constantly wants to speed up, result is falling on the forehand and losing balance.

    I try to ride him a little bit under his tempo, and a lot of walk/trot/walk/halt transitions so he becomes more reactive to my seat.
    When he ignores my half-halts I make a turn on the forehand, because that way he can't run off but I still get to put my legs on him. It is getting a little bit better, but does anyone have ideas/exercises on how to slow this horse down and at the same time get him more in front of my leg?

  • #2
    what I do with those types (have 3 of them right now) is halfhalt almost all the way to a walk, release, and put my leg back on...over and over again. The one thing you can not do is take your leg off and try to regulate or supervise the tempo/rhythm with your reins...

    halfhalt and make sure you get an honest reaction, give the reins and tell him he's good, and push forward to a soft contact again...a million times!

    eventually your horse will realize that every time he runs away from your leg/seat, he is going to have to slow down, then you reward and give, then send him forward again on your terms.

    the worst things to do are allow him to rush and pull on your hand, and also to avoid putting your leg on because he runs away from it.

    there is a big difference between allowing a horse to go forward, and actually asking him to go forward.
    Nothing worth having comes easily.

    Comment


    • #3
      I had one that was really bad, but now he's better.
      The only time he gets me now is with canter to trot trans. I have to put him into shoulder fore.

      You have to make the sensitive ones dull to the aids...and then spice the aids back up. takes time.
      http://kaboomeventing.com/
      http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
      Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

      Comment

      • Original Poster

        #4
        Thank you for the replies!

        Yes I do half-halt to slow him down but he rushes off immediately after so I feel like I'm half-halting every 2 steps
        Is that normal? I mean, how long will it take him to realize I want him to slow down and wait for my aids?

        I'm more used to lazy horses I guess

        Comment


        • #5
          It can take many, many months of consistent work for a truly hot/sensitive horse to accept your leg. Working under tempo is okay to help induce calm and preserve balance in the beginning, but not if you are allowing the horse to be tight in the back and behind (or heavy in) the contact to achieve it. And very often, sensitive horses are doing just that - going a mile a minute but not even coming close to being in front of the leg.

          My own hot horse benefited from a LOT of consistent work in Vienna reins, where he learned to relax and stretch forward/down/out and reach. When those reactions to going forward were confirmed, it was much quicker for him to accept my seat and legs (compared to other hot horses I had not longed consistently as part of early training).

          Lots of bending figures are a big help with the hottie... the lateral stretching helps to calm the mind and loosen the body, while the curved lines demand greater attention to balance (as opposed to the straight ahead at 900 mph possibilities of riding the long sides over and over).

          Patience!
          Patience pays.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Libera View Post
            Thank you for the replies!

            Yes I do half-halt to slow him down but he rushes off immediately after so I feel like I'm half-halting every 2 steps
            Is that normal? I mean, how long will it take him to realize I want him to slow down and wait for my aids?

            I'm more used to lazy horses I guess
            yes, at first you will have to half halt every 2 steps - there is no quick fix!

            the horse has learned this way of going, and now you have to re-train him to accept your aids...

            I have had a couple horses with this same problem that now I can put both legs on to go forward calmly, and also each bending leg on with no rushing at all..
            Nothing worth having comes easily.

            Comment


            • #7
              work him more frequently, more actively, and let him go. gallop.

              Comment


              • #8
                in principle i agree, and in principle, i don't agree.

                he is supposed to be moving in the dressage arena, all the time. it is not the place nor the time for him to be so very relaxed.

                if they get too strong or quick, circle. but let them move, let them have some nature.

                if a horse has a lot of energy, it should be nurtured and cultivated. he should never be punshed for trying to be forward. if he wants to go - let him go.

                a horse that is very eager to move and go should be treasured. he can be turned out to play and move if he is a little too frisky, or longed, carefully, not torquing around endlessly, but encouraged to go forward and loosen up his muscles.

                if he is frantically scrambing around off balance with tiny quick steps he can be balanced better without making him crawl along. that does nothing for a horse.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have to ride my horse with the handbreak on all the time, it gets tiring and makes me ride off my hand (I'm sorry to admit.) I do find with the TB she almost needs to have a good strong canter before she will settle. I don't mean a wild gallop which will get her adrenalin up. Actually, I have rather given up on her since I don't ever put the amount of work she needs into her these days. Waste of a lovely, lovely sensitive horse. Just a comment - No advice here from me I'm afraid!
                  Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What I usually find with hot horses is the quickness isn't really about being fast it's about tension. If you'll address the tension you'll have a lot more success in regulating pace.

                    I like to teach them from the get go to soften on the inside rein and reach down over the top line for the connection to the outside hand. It is very hard for a horse going with his nose below his knees and his top line lifted to be tense.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                      I have to ride my horse with the handbreak on all the time, it gets tiring and makes me ride off my hand (I'm sorry to admit.)
                      I've been getting into that habit with my new pony, who HATEHATEHATES it. Really bad habit for me Yesterday after wrestling with him for a while I finally realized what I was doing and dropped the reins... he stretched out with such relief (aaaah!). Admittedly he was already a bit tired, but I felt bad

                      I came right home and e-mailed my trainer for a lesson (I've been taking a small break to try to regain some strength in my back, obviously it was too long of a break).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        read my post as well and try kick and click etc and how to do half halt stride you find the link from this one http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ght=kick+click

                        basically with either a lazy or hot horse as you say your aids have to be a sharper and for a hot horse quicker- hes antispating your moves and you letting him do it so dont--
                        antispate his moves-- and vary your work

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have a mare who is on the hottish/sensitive side. Words of advice: don't fight them. You won't win. Lots of half halts work well, as noted above, and I also give my mare lots of walk breaks (collected and on a loose rein) and slow stretchy trot (but still forward). I have found that my mare anticipates transitions (especially trot to canter) and it's helpful to mix everything up. I never ask for a transition in the same place (and she still anticipates), but it's getting better. If everything is really going downhill fast and you're getting flustrated, I think it's best to just go back to walking on a loose rein to give you both a time out. Good luck!

                          Caitlin
                          Caitlin
                          *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            well your byline is good for the hot mare:

                            "Well behaved women rarely make history"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think a major misconception people have with hot horses is that they have to be "slow". You should never try to make a hot horse "slow" but rather try to acheive calmness and relaxation. In trying to slow down a hot horse, all you'll get is ever increasing tension as you fall into a vicious cycle. Instead, sit back, shoulders back, and try to fall just a tiny bit behind his rhythm when posting. Much easier said than done. What I always have to work on first and foremost is stretching and relaxation. A lot of the time that means a nice forward canter several times around the arena both ways. Hot horses, especially TBs, need to canter. It blows off steam and after that I find that they are much more willing to calm down and work. At the beginning of my rides I get my horse moving forward and stretching down and out. When he's relaxed and stretched in the posting trot and in the canter is when I feel like I can bring him up to carry himself higher.

                              I think a key thing to remember though is that you can not pull. That is my issue. I feel us speeding up and I grab his mouth. Use your circles to slow down. Sit up and back, use your body to circle, but don't pull on the mouth. By all means keep contact, and half halt some, but don't continuously pull, that's my biggest problem.

                              And lastly, every horse has his own tempo and rhythm. Each horse should be ridden to his comfortable pace. They are all different. Sometimes the tempo is a bit quicker. I think as he relaxes more you'll find that them tempo slows but the stride becomes longer.

                              You could work on spiral in and out on a circle to try to desensitize him to your leg. It also helps to build up muscle. I also like to serpentine and sort of leg-yield in the change of direction, so, turn right, in the turn push him out left on the circle, straight for a few steps, and turn left in the new direction leg-yielding to the right. Just remember, when he speeds up, don't take your leg off. That will make the problem worse. It's hard to make yourself do at first, but it will get better.

                              Good luck. The hot ones are the tough ones, but you get so much satisfaction out of the progress you achieve. I have had a blast with my guy so far. Just remember, don't beat yourself up too much and don't get too frustrated. It just takes time, but it's well worth it. And remember to relax. The second you truly relax you feel an instant response in your horse. That's an epiphany that I've recently rediscovered. And FWIW, I would much rather have a horse that is forward thinking than one that I have to kick on every stride.
                              God forbid that I go to a heaven in which there are no horses

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Tuckertoo View Post
                                I think a major misconception people have with hot horses is that they have to be "slow". You should never try to make a hot horse "slow" but rather try to acheive calmness and relaxation. In trying to slow down a hot horse, all you'll get is ever increasing tension as you fall into a vicious cycle. Instead, sit back, shoulders back, and try to fall just a tiny bit behind his rhythm when posting. Much easier said than done. What I always have to work on first and foremost is stretching and relaxation. A lot of the time that means a nice forward canter several times around the arena both ways. Hot horses, especially TBs, need to canter. It blows off steam and after that I find that they are much more willing to calm down and work. At the beginning of my rides I get my horse moving forward and stretching down and out. When he's relaxed and stretched in the posting trot and in the canter is when I feel like I can bring him up to carry himself higher.

                                I think a key thing to remember though is that you can not pull. That is my issue. I feel us speeding up and I grab his mouth. Use your circles to slow down. Sit up and back, use your body to circle, but don't pull on the mouth. By all means keep contact, and half halt some, but don't continuously pull, that's my biggest problem.

                                And lastly, every horse has his own tempo and rhythm. Each horse should be ridden to his comfortable pace. They are all different. Sometimes the tempo is a bit quicker. I think as he relaxes more you'll find that them tempo slows but the stride becomes longer.

                                You could work on spiral in and out on a circle to try to desensitize him to your leg. It also helps to build up muscle. I also like to serpentine and sort of leg-yield in the change of direction, so, turn right, in the turn push him out left on the circle, straight for a few steps, and turn left in the new direction leg-yielding to the right. Just remember, when he speeds up, don't take your leg off. That will make the problem worse. It's hard to make yourself do at first, but it will get better.

                                Good luck. The hot ones are the tough ones, but you get so much satisfaction out of the progress you achieve. I have had a blast with my guy so far. Just remember, don't beat yourself up too much and don't get too frustrated. It just takes time, but it's well worth it. And remember to relax. The second you truly relax you feel an instant response in your horse. That's an epiphany that I've recently rediscovered. And FWIW, I would much rather have a horse that is forward thinking than one that I have to kick on every stride.
                                I liked a lot of your advice Tuckertoo. You are right in many ways- the one thing you didn't mention that is probably my number one tool: the VOICE!
                                I talk to my hot horse a lot- we talk to each other. I try and eliminate all tension in my own body and start loosely- canter is definitely a good way to blow off steam and relax the hot horse. Talking and patting a lot and praising for stuff well done is huge- as is saying NO!. All actions need to be short, direct and have a clear beginning and end.Less contact in the mouth- but a constant following contact is very important.
                                Otherwise- it takes quite a while to train a hot horse- that is a fact! I try and stroll and trail ride a lot...it's good for the mind and wipes out the stress of a ride that has conflict.
                                Riding in a dressage court is good as well- but it's really important to ride the circles on the outside rein- no insidereinitis!!
                                "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  For horses that have been ridden behind the leg for some really must be pushed forward again before condsidering doing other things. Half halts don't get a hot behind the leg horse in front of the leg it just gives the horse more tension. Spend a week, or longer if needed getting him forward again even if it slightly rushy. Some rushing now will get you a lot further in his training that holding him back with continuous half halts for the rest of his career.

                                  If you're really feeling ambitious, put an eventer (or you can do it if some adenalin is in order) on him and let them go for a good gallop out in the field once or twice a week for a month or two. It may do wonders for his brain.

                                  Best of luck

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by flyracing View Post
                                    For horses that have been ridden behind the leg for some really must be pushed forward again before condsidering doing other things. Half halts don't get a hot behind the leg horse in front of the leg it just gives the horse more tension.
                                    I believe the OP said this horse is extremely rushy, on the forehand and running away from her aids...pushing more forward when it's already running away is encouraging it's flight instinct, and will make it lost it's balance even more.

                                    you have to come back with respect and relaxation before you can put the horse in front of your leg again...

                                    or else you encourage the horse to run away from your aids.
                                    Nothing worth having comes easily.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                                      I liked a lot of your advice Tuckertoo. You are right in many ways- the one thing you didn't mention that is probably my number one tool: the VOICE!
                                      I talk to my hot horse a lot- we talk to each other. I try and eliminate all tension in my own body and start loosely- canter is definitely a good way to blow off steam and relax the hot horse. Talking and patting a lot and praising for stuff well done is huge- as is saying NO!. All actions need to be short, direct and have a clear beginning and end.Less contact in the mouth- but a constant following contact is very important.
                                      Otherwise- it takes quite a while to train a hot horse- that is a fact! I try and stroll and trail ride a lot...it's good for the mind and wipes out the stress of a ride that has conflict.
                                      Riding in a dressage court is good as well- but it's really important to ride the circles on the outside rein- no insidereinitis!!

                                      Most definitely!! I don't know how I forgot that. Yes, the voice is probably the most important thing of all, especially if you worked on the lunge with them a little and they know voice commands. But even if not, low, soft, relaxing tones do wonders with my guy. I've sometimes found myself just singing his name to him
                                      God forbid that I go to a heaven in which there are no horses

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        I think you've gotten a lot of good advice here... let me add one thought:

                                        Along the same lines of keeping your leg on,.. DON'T STOP RIDING.

                                        I see people all the time on electric/sensitive/rushy thoroughbreds, and they ride with such a light leg, and in a half-seat, that they're really just kind of sitting up there trying to avoid an explosion.

                                        In my experience (a lot of which is with TBs), the key to the rushing is actually to get them to LIFT and work THROUGH the back. Keep the rhythm steady, and ask him to bring his back up. This often requires MORE leg than you think you want to put on, but it has to be the right kind of leg... the "lifting" leg... not the driving forward "go" leg. Think of it as a gentle but firm bear hug around your horse's tummy.

                                        When he lifts his back, he will start working through, and this is very relaxing and comforting for horses. The rushing will dissipate.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X