• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Baby/Green Horse Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks J-Lu and ASBJumper! Definitely a roller coaster of a week that worked out all right in the end. I've decided to go for year-end awards in my GMO. I need one more show to have the appropriate number of tests/judges to be fully qualified (plus volunteer hours). There's two schooling shows coming up (one in early March, the other in early May). I'm leaning more toward May just to have more time to get more consistency in submission.

Oh and I'm putting shoes on his front feet the next time the farrier comes. The vet thought the abscess was associated with a small crack. This is the second abscess Criss has had in 4+ months. I already have Criss on a hoof supplement, so my hope is that the shoes will allow the cracks to be held together until they grow out.
    My May boys: Beau , Neon, Criss

Comment

• Yay!! I saw that you posted on the FB group and finally waddled my way over here for pictures.... lovely!! Congrats!

I went out to work the beast today, and she was totally awful. Freaked about leaving her buddies, tried to climb over her stall door twice, kicking me in the process, then doing the rear/spin thing in the arena. I got after her and it just got worse and worse. Sigh. I normally go out later, when everybody is already in. Something new to work on, I guess. A little disheartening for sure! She's been brilliant for a few weeks, so I guess we had it coming!

Comment

• Just a bit of an update on my guy (5 year old Welsh C/TB). We've had a productive winter with lots of improvement of my riding (I'm finally getting off my pockets and riding more forward!) and some real steps up in his hind end strength.

We've also played with jumping...I bought him as a dressage prospect, but I'm not opposed to having a little jumping career with him, too, if he seems to like it. We went to a teeny schooling show and jumped X rails last month. It was only his second time off the farm, and he was pretty good, considering the lack of warmup ring and how crowded the scene was. He was brave about the jumps and fill!

Show vid

He got a bit tired at the show--probably the excitement/drive, so we scratched the 2 foot class, but I think he'll have more energy next time. Also, it seems he can really jump! Here he is in the jumpshoot, over 3'11 (he's 15 hands)

Free Jump

I'm hoping to get a new dressage vid up soon to mark our progress.

Everyone's horses look awesome--I love checking/checking in on this thread!
        2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
        Our training journal.
        1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
        I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Comment

• I'v got a comming 4 yr old Irish mare that is only 30 days U/S that I am excited is getting started. We are going to take her to a little dressage show at the end of Feb. Her sire's brother is showing I1 and her grandsire went to PSG before being sold and moving to jumpers. This is with 30 days http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHmQJvjckWw
          Last edited by horsetales; Jan. 31, 2013, 03:45 PM.
          Epona Farm
          Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

• Hey I asked to join the FB group (Shantel Brooks). I think its a great idea.

Ive ridden a few times since being back from vacation. We have been working on trot/canter transitions. Hes been doing good but the last ride on Saturday was an utter failure though I know every ride cannot be perfect.

Our Year End Awards banquet was on Sunday and we received reserve champ for our Fall Series AA Intro (Fall was WAY better than Spring!) and 5th for the entire year for AA Intro.

After taking a picture of him with his ribbons I noticed that he is YET AGAIN growing. I knew he was filling OUT but now I see his butt is going up too. Hes 5.5.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...61985265_o.jpg

Rex does not think pink is his color
            https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...30516349_o.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...58493111_n.jpg

Eating one of his ribbons
            https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...94127993_o.jpg
            ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Comment

• That Rex is so darn cute!

Comment

• I am so proud of my little girl today! After having the last few months off because of the weather, those of you who have an indoor are soooo lucky, she handled trying out saddles today like a lady. This is the pony who was testy, angry and spoilt when I bought her but today she took everything calmly, in stride with perky ears She was patient while I tried several saddles on her and carried me around at the walk a bit in the ones that were a good fit. We had just finished the backing process before the weather, and ice, got too bad for it to be safe to work with a greenie and had dealt with several set backs before she would consider letting me mount without trying to launch me. Today was truly a wonderful change and a great look at how far we've come.

Even better, I also found a saddle that we both love
                My little girl, Katai - 13.2 Haflinger/Unicorn
                and her blog

"Ponies are the new black. Welcome to the darkside!" - Manahmanah

Comment

• Westfalen on the move...

Bubbie's en route! He's currently in NE Texas at the Equine Express hub, and is due to arrive on Wed. Think good/healthy transport thoughts!!!
                  Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

• J-Lu, hope he arrived in good condition!

So I finally was able to ride Criss last night. He's had a very stubborn and deep abscess in his right front that I think finally popped. Had to have the vet out twice for it. First time he couldn't dig it out because his hoof was so hard. Came back out last week and he started digging it out but didn't want to go too deep. So the packing and wrapping went on yet again. It seemed like the hole was bigger and deeper than before (even after getting his feet trimmed last week), so I think it finally popped. I'm now going on the offensive with his feet, using Tuff Stuff on the toes and Hooflex on the soles. We're due for more rain in the next few days (ugh) and I don't want a repeat abscess again.

Anyway, the ride last night went really well. We picked up right where we left off. I got 25 minutes of round walk/trot work. He was fussy with his head a bit but I just kept pushing him forward. I'm so happy we're making progress despite the 2+ week vacation. Fingers crossed that he stays sound and I can aim toward my next show!

Comment

• Yay, greenbean has finally arrived, safe and sound (whew)! His poor little world is a whirlwind right now but he's settling in and has insta-bonded with the two chicks he gets turned out with.

http://tinyurl.com/aagm7h9

Comment

• Had a friend out practicing trotting in hand with Ellie over the weekend, and took the chance to get a few (dirty, muddy!) photos while I had someone to hold her. It was super sunny so I couldn't tell what I was pointing at, but at least I was able to try....

She's probably going to the trainer next month to get started, with the intention of getting ground basics in before summer and ride in the fall. Of course, our schedule will vary based on what she tells us is right. She's too special for me to risk trying to do it alone - I want supervision and help from someone who knows what he's doing!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...64474270_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...27028858_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...09711044_n.jpg
                        Originally posted by Silverbridge
                        If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

• Love that flaxen mane and tail!

My coming 4 year old should take notes from yours. Your gal is so calm!

Originally posted by horsetales View Post
                          I'v got a comming 4 yr old Irish mare that is only 30 days U/S that I am excited is getting started. We are going to take her to a little dressage show at the end of Feb. Her sire's brother is showing I1 and her grandsire went to PSG before being sold and moving to jumpers. This is with 30 days http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHmQJvjckWw

Comment

• netg, she's got such a beautiful face! What is her breeding?

Comment

• Thought I'd give an update on my boy as well. He's now just under 16.1hh, and will be turning 3 in June, and going to get started lightly in July

I'm having a blast with him. Whoever mentioned that all the Routinier babies have fantastic personalities didn't lie! He's a sweetheart ,but also very intelligent. Getting excited for him!!

Here are a few pictures
                              https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...41941093_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...26682655_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...69223338_n.jpg

(btw, what's the facebook group link again? I can't find it and would love to join and see how everyone is doing!)
                              In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Comment

• I LOVE Routinier babies... we have one on the farm back home and he's a total doll!

Willow is finally settled in KY and once I can dig the other half of my tack out of the moving boxes, it's back to work for her! She lost a bit of weight on the trip down (poor kid was on the trailer from 8AM on a Sat until 3AM on a Sunday) so we're working on that too. I added some rice bran, flax, and Omega3's to her feed and she's starting to look really good. Shedding like crazy!

I just found out that Mini-minion 2.0 is on his/her way, so I'm thinking about looking for a half-lease to keep the girl in work while I can't ride, but I'm a little nervous, since I've been the only person on her back!

Here's the FB link again for anybody who wants to join!

COTH Greenbeans!
                                Last edited by Superminion; Mar. 17, 2013, 12:13 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• A total doll is exactly how I'd describe him!!
                                  thanks for the link! I will ask to join! (Kayla)
                                  In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Lu View Post
                                    netg, she's got such a beautiful face! What is her breeding?
                                    Thanks! She's Trakehner - by Oskar our of a 3/4 TB mare named Encore. I absolutely love Oskar babies in general, particularly how they use their hind ends, but it seemed like most had very large dams who were bred to him for refinement - Ellie's dam is 15.2, I think, so not as huge, making her just a perfect combo for me. I got to ride her full sister who is being kept by her breeder to replace their dam, and she had the temperament I keep hearing about Oskar babies (and babies out of Encore), so I really look forward to getting Ellie going!

Originally posted by TropicalStorm View Post
                                    A total doll is exactly how I'd describe him!!
                                    thanks for the link! I will ask to join! (Kayla)
                                    He is very handsome! Love the natural gaits there!
                                    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

• Update time! I'm showing Criss on Saturday. Intro B and C again, but I really don't have high hopes for the canter portions of Intro C. At this point, I'm just taking him out for more experience. The more experience he gets, the better his focus will be during the actual tests (at least that's the thought right now).

He's so incredibly off balance at the canter and keeps throwing his head up to keep his front end up. I had an inkling that he was in the middle of a growth spurt over the weekend, so I broke out the measuring tape last night. 17.1 hands at the withers, and just a smidge under 17.2 hands at the butt. No wonder why he's so off balance! And he's grown 3 inches at the withers since I bought him in Feb. 2012. Oy, I really know how to pick the tall ones.

Comment

• Ellie was supposed to get her pre-training bodywork assessment last week (basically just an excuse for me to pamper her!), and first thing done was a temperature check - crap, fever!

Apparently there's an airborn virus going around this year and someone in the neighborhood was nice enough to share it... Because it has been settling in to respiratory systems my vet had me put her on antibiotics and bute to bring down the fever. Since she wouldn't eat them with her grain, that meant making a paste and giving it to her from an empty bute tube. She did NOT like this! Poor girl thought I was being mean to her and didn't understand what she had done wrong.

As a side effect of her learning to let me give her medicine (it took 3 doses, and on #4 she was great), she has now learned to longe. Overall she's just enjoying the attention instead of worrying about the fact I'm doing something she doesn't understand, and she finally decided she likes molasses enough to eat the rest of her antibiotics out of her grain.

I'm just having so much fun playing with groundwork - can't wait to get her up and do more supervised stuff with her!

Comment

• Originally posted by netg View Post
                                          Thanks! She's Trakehner - by Oskar our of a 3/4 TB mare named Encore.
                                          Aha! That explains the beautiful face! My mare is Trakehner, too (by Always out of Alstar Babyxx) and she also has a beautiful face and huge, expressive eyes. Best temperament of any horse I've known.

Comment

Working...
                                          X