• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do you decide to end for the day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you decide to end for the day?

I would be interested in hearing from people who have youngsters (ie < 6yrs) and how they decide when to end their riding or workout session.

I haven't had my horse for that long, but over the last few months I've been able to get a feel for where her limits are physically and mentally. Most of the time it is easy to accomplish something during the session and end on a good note and not push her outside either her mental or physical zones.

However, I imagine for most of us there are times when maybe you ask a horse to do something at some point and it's not being compliant. How do you decide how long to work past it before ending for the day?

I will be having a discussion with my trainer about this on monday to see what she thinks, but in the meantime I would be interested in hearing what others have done. I realize it was kind of a vague question, but was curious in general what other people do.

My trainer always tells me "After so many times you have to do something else because you are doing something wrong and we were smarter than the horse when we woke up so why go to sleep outsmarted?"

I change my tactics if I cant win at something... Then I change what we are doing if that isnt working because youve seen people at the horse trailer right? Walk up, horse stops, walk up, horse stops, and again and again until frustration ensues....

Not something I will do undersaddle more than twice... If I get a direct NO NO twice, I do something I can win at, or shrink the goal a bit to allow us both to find a happy medium. If its still a big NO, I then go back to winning something and approach this discussion another time or try tommorow.

Patience is a virtue, and a good nights sleep never hurt anything when in negotiations

Ive never had a horse who ended up saying no the next day unless they were hurting.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

I end the session when I feel my youngsters starting to have a harder time doing what I want - not being resistant per se, just needing more "help" and reminders in accomplishing the movement.
      If I have set up my horse for "x" movement the best I can figure out how, gave it a fair chance to figure out what I want and it is still not turning out how I want, I have learned to quit and think about it and try again later. I much prefer not to create a bad habit and giving my lesson some more thought and accomplishing it better at the next go. It takes longer to undo and redo, then teaching it right in the first place.

A properly trained/started horse, even a young one should put up with FAIR pressure, mental and physical, in the learning experience, but the animal MUST know that it can expect to be fairly and promptly rewarded by release of pressure for work well done.
      Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
      ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Totally depends on the horse, that day. If I am training a new movement or exercise and the horse gets it right I will ask for maybe one more correctly done (or a great "try") and then quit on that high note.

If the horse is getting confused, tense and we've been at it a while, I'll go back to something he/she does well and then quit on that high note.

If I'm trail riding or hacking out for fitness I'll ride until I feel the horse push the envelope and head back at the walk.

If my arthritis is acting up I'll pretty much do as in paragraph two and quit. And head for the tub.

Sometimes it's strickly time constraints and I'm a believer that a 15-20min ride is better than none. JMHO
        Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

Great question and some great sayings about this:

"From the moment I get on a horse, I'm looking for a reason to get off"-- some old western cowboy thing.

Those guys want to find something or anything that the horse did right. Getting off punctuates the ride at that moment, you know? It says to the horse "Whatever you just did before I got off was the magic button to quittin' time." A horse who knows she has this power shows up and really tries.

"Mañana"-- Tomorrow in Spanish and a way that the Vacqueros purportedly thought about training their horses. Don't think you have to fix today what you can get done tomorrow. This means that I need to have a series of plans: A 5 year plan, a 2 year plan, a 30 day plan, a this week plan, a 1 hour plan.

But I'll "polish the edge of the diamond that the horse presents to me." That's especially true with a young one. Because I know how I'd like him to think and go eventually, I can just adjust or correct whatever he decides to offer me on that day. I can change that up as needed, too.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I'm working with a challenging 4 yo. chestnut draft/TB mare so some days we are pretty good some days I get "attitude". On her grumpy days if asking in a softer way and making sure I'm not interfering with her by riding poorly. I switch to something she does well for 10 minutes or so then quit. I don't like to stop when she or I are frustrated. I'm not making as much progress as I would like but right now that is ok with me

Comment

I haven't worked with a baby but I have worked with a relatively green horse. I learn to know their limits and once I know what that is I make sure I don't go past that. Within that time frame I wil work on one thing for a pretty short time with low expectations and when I feel like I got a real genuine effort from the horse then i reward them and move on to something else. We'll work on probably 2 things within that limited time frame and then they get to go out and graze. I've learned that ending on a good note no matter what is KEY. I have progressed SOOOOOOO much faster as both a rider and trainer to my horses by ending on a good note.

Comment

There are days where I ride for 10 minutes or less. If he executes something I've been working on very well, I'll praise to high heaven and hop off right there. He's learned vein resistant earns him more and harder work and being soft and compliant can make for a very short lesson.

My boy is 6 now (I've had him since he was 3 and did all his training myself) so we're past the point of frequently ending lessons that quickly. Still though, if he's trying and suddenly gets something, I'll praise and move on. I don't like to endlessly drill on things. I'll work on a movement or skill for 20min or less which seems to be about his limit for drilling on any one single thing.

There certainly have been days where X is the plan and I get on and we are just NOT on the same page. I'm very much a pick your battles kinda girl. If something clearly isn't working, but he's trying, we'll move on and revisit another day. If he's being a jerk (he's very clear when he's being a brat and when he's tying but just can't deliver), we'll move on to something simple but physically demanding (say trotting or cantering figure eights) for a few minutes until the 'brat' switch turns off. Then we'll go back to the original lesson. He figured out very quickly that being a brat earns him a lot more work than if he just at least tries to do what I'm asking. I don't get mad or frustrated or anything, we simply go work really hard in another area then go back and attempt the lesson again.

It was pretty funny the other day. I went for a ride out with one of my friends and her horse lost his marbles when we headed back home. Trying to bolt and act a fool. We ended up switching horses and my guy was just walking along behind us worriedly watching our little schooling session like, "Dude, this bolting is really bad idea. I tried before. You work really hard now and then still have to walk home. Conserve energy. These adventures sometimes last all day...."

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                  "From the moment I get on a horse, I'm looking for a reason to get off"-- some old western cowboy thing.

Those guys want to find something or anything that the horse did right. Getting off punctuates the ride at that moment, you know? It says to the horse "Whatever you just did before I got off was the magic button to quittin' time." A horse who knows she has this power shows up and really tries.

"Mañana"-- Tomorrow in Spanish and a way that the Vacqueros purportedly thought about training their horses. Don't think you have to fix today what you can get done tomorrow. This means that I need to have a series of plans: A 5 year plan, a 2 year plan, a 30 day plan, a this week plan, a 1 hour plan.

But I'll "polish the edge of the diamond that the horse presents to me." That's especially true with a young one. Because I know how I'd like him to think and go eventually, I can just adjust or correct whatever he decides to offer me on that day. I can change that up as needed, too.
                  I really like this, especially the first quote.

As it applies to babies...

I have a similar approach in that I will get on a youngster and "polish" what we started/worked on yesterday or introduce something new, obtain a 'try' and some progress, and move on. Rest breaks when the horse 'gets it', especially when ending on one task, before commencing the next. I might even work on quite a number of tasks with that horse, briefly polishing each task before moving on.

If I inadvertently push the horse to its limit for that day, I find a good note to end on (without pushing the issue but still obtaining a little of what I had wanted). If I get on and they've already got that 'tude (rare), I am especially careful in how and what I ask so as to still progress the horse as much as possible and leave them in a better frame of mind than we started. "If your horse says no you either asked the question wrong or asked the wrong question" - which means I might go back to the basic elements that make up the maneuver I am asking for or I might move on to something else completely for that session.

It's really a sense of feel, imo, and it really depends on the horse you've got under you that day.

Once they're past the 'baby stage' it's a little different of course; I can expect a lot more.

ETA: I might be on a baby only 10min, I might be up there 30min (in an arena). I find they progress very quickly and remain fresh when you briefly pick at a number of tasks each ride.
                  Last edited by naturalequus; Nov. 10, 2011, 08:08 PM. Reason: wording
                  ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                  ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Quit when your horse feels like a hero.

Comment

Sometimes I struggle with "just one more time" and pushing it a little farther. I do think it is important to push it a bit - so you can develop a work ethic, increase strength, and have a breakthrough moment. The question is how do you know when pushing it will get you what you want vs. create more of a problem?

I pretty much have a time limit and try to stay within that - so the push may come with a more difficult set of movements in the same time period, or maybe I'll see if we can go just a bit longer.

I always always try to end on a good note, so if my horse does show a big effort, or produces a jump in progress, or has just a bit more endurance, then I take it and be happy with it. Tomorrow is another day . . .
                      My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

You know when to stop when you have achieved your goal for the day. Theo is 4 and my ride can be 15 minutes to 45 minutes depending on what I am working on.

I do my ride in 4 sets of work. First set is just to warm him up, See how he is feeling that day. second set is to either review something from the day before or correct something not right in the warm up. The third set of work could be taking something he nows to another level, show him something new or re-inforce something he already knows and test how well he knows it. The fourth set of work is the cool down and for his confidence, go back to something easy, also stretchy work.

I start with a plan but I may have to modify it after he tells me how he is feeling in the warm-up and as I move through the work. If he has trouble with something then I go back down the pyramid and start back up to see where the prblem starts.

I never go over 45 minutes as it just gets pointless after that. If he is having difficulties I know I have to go back and reorganize through something he can do well and then try again. If still not getting it then I just go back to what he can do well and call it a day.
                        *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
                        Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
                        Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mzm farm View Post
                          I end the session when I feel my youngsters starting to have a harder time doing what I want - not being resistant per se, just needing more "help" and reminders in accomplishing the movement.
                          If I have set up my horse for "x" movement the best I can figure out how, gave it a fair chance to figure out what I want and it is still not turning out how I want, I have learned to quit and think about it and try again later. I much prefer not to create a bad habit and giving my lesson some more thought and accomplishing it better at the next go. It takes longer to undo and redo, then teaching it right in the first place.

A properly trained/started horse, even a young one should put up with FAIR pressure, mental and physical, in the learning experience, but the animal MUST know that it can expect to be fairly and promptly rewarded by release of pressure for work well done.
                          This 100%. Not that you should take my amateur opinion but I thought another vote for a particular way may help you.

Comment

I'm no expert but heres whats been working for me.
                            I'm lazy, so I let them tell me what we are working on each day rather than having a real plan. Yesterday my new girl had some spare energy so we practiced getting a bigger trot. Today she was a little resistant in her shoulders so we rode some squares. Being lazy means I get off pretty soon after we get something good happening. I'll usually ask once more to confirm she gets the idea and then get off. I'm also big on stopping and taking a break during my rides after a good try and letting her think about how awesome she just did. I usually ride anywhere from 10 min to half an hour. I want it to stay fun and interesting for her.
                            This one is easy, my older horse was a bit more of a challenge and what I found worked when we were getting nowhere was to think outside the arena and show her a reason for what I'm asking Go for a nice trail ride, get that nice round canter using a hill, work on moving off my leg opening
                            gates, shorten/ lengthen strides uphill/ downhill. For her it seems like once you do something where she has a "real" job to do and has to balance herself because of terrain, or move over to open that gate so we can get home, the lightbulb goes on pretty quickly and the reward is sort of built in. Again when she was younger we're not talking marathon rides, just a short 15
                            min loop on the way home from the ring with the majority of it at a walk on the buckle. I don't get anywhere super quickly but I feel like they stay interested and enjoy working and I like
                            that. I know there are lots of times I could push them much harder but I don't trust myself to know where the real fine line is so I stop well short
                            I'm loving reading others responses to this- there's always so much to learn and coth is such a great resource.

Comment

Working...
                            X