• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Mechanics of shoulder in question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanics of shoulder in question

Do you think the shoulder in puts much lateral torque on the hind pasterns?

I am thinking it would be less strain (laterally) than leg yeild as the hind end should stay fairly straight, but was having trouble thinking it through.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

The hind end is supposed to track straight ahead in S-I. The only effect on the hind legs is that S-I is also a beginning collecting exercise, so the horse's weight will shift back on to the hindquarters, including the hind joints. In collection, the hind joints need to bend and carry more weight.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
      The hind end is supposed to track straight ahead in S-I. The only effect on the hind legs is that S-I is also a beginning collecting exercise, so the horse's weight will shift back on to the hindquarters, including the hind joints. In collection, the hind joints need to bend and carry more weight.
      This. The hind end isn't changing as far as positioning.

Comment

• Original Poster

I got to that point of thought, but then I wondered about how the inside leg is weighted when it is up and under the barrel. As the weight above the leg is distributed unevenly (more to the outside), does that mean the outside of the leg is carrying more weight, which would put uneven weight/torque on the leg wouldn't it?

Comment

Quote from,'The USDF Guide to Dressage',

Invented by the French master Gueriniere, the shoulder-in is the best all-around exercise for strengthening the horse's inside hind leg and developing straightness and the carrying power needed for collection.

Leg yield would place less stress on the joints as it doesn't require the leg to come under and carry in the same way s.i. does.

Comment

• Original Poster

I am thinking that leg yeilding (at trot) would have a fair bit of lateral torque on the hind pasterns. I am not asking about weight bearing, but rather how that weight is born; evenly on the leg, or unevenly inside vs outside of the leg/joint.

When I "leg yeild" across my kitchen floor, I can feel the weight going from the outside to the inside of my foot.

I cannot however think of how to create the basic mechanics of a shoulder in as I only have two legs.

Comment

In shoulder-in, the weight is on the outside shoulder.
              "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
              http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think this will help answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjhMStcbmPc

Based on this video, I think there would be a slight torque on the inside hind, because it has to step in front of the outside hind.

Comment

Originally posted by kinnip View Post
                  In shoulder-in, the weight is on the outside shoulder.

Weight should be transferred more to the hindquarters.

Comment

Originally posted by LarkspurCO View Post
                    I think this will help answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjhMStcbmPc

Based on this video, I think there would be a slight torque on the inside hind, because it has to step in front of the outside hind.
                    That video is pretty bad, by the way. It keeps alternating between the traditional three track shoulder in to the controversial four track shoulder in (which some call a leg yield.)

There is no "torque" on the hind pasterns. The horse's inside hind which comes forward and under the horse's barrel, swings under from the hip. There should be no twisting of the lower joints.
                    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Originally posted by LarkspurCO View Post

Weight should be transferred more to the hindquarters.
                      The inside hip does drop, but the horse still manages to stay on all four feet, no capsizing to the rear. The weight transfers diagonally from the inside hind to the outside front. When you perform SI on a circle, you can really feel it.
                      "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
                      http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

How can the weight transfer from the inside hind to the outside front if those legs are both on the ground at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
                          That video is pretty bad, by the way. It keeps alternating between the traditional three track shoulder in to the controversial four track shoulder in (which some call a leg yield.)
                          Actually, it's a really good video with slow motion to help the OP see exactly what's going on with the hind end. It looks a bit odd in slo-mo, and the angle does change slightly before the corner. But the real-time footage is a perfectly acceptable shoulder in down the long side.

There is no "torque" on the hind pasterns. The horse's inside hind which comes forward and under the horse's barrel, swings under from the hip. There should be no twisting of the lower joints.
                          I was confusing torque with medial/lateral stress, so I would agree. Probably not any appreciable torque to the inside hind in shoulder in, but probably some additional medial/lateral stress.

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                            How can the weight transfer from the inside hind to the outside front if those legs are both on the ground at the same time?
                            One has to wonder.

http://www.janesavoie.com/blog/learn...s-shoulder-in/

"Shoulder-in is also a collecting exercise. It increases your horse’s self-carriage because he lowers his inside hip with each step. As a result, his center of gravity shifts back toward his hind legs. His hindquarters carry more weight, and his front end elevates. "

Comment

oh my lord. I get really worried about those the future of Dressage when riders posting about fundamentals like shoulder ins have so much confusion!
                              the shoulder in you are loading the inside hind there is no greater medial/lateral stress on the hind legs, as the hind end of the horse tracks straight. the only reason the inside hind leg has a greater load is because due to the shoulder moving inward, the inside hind travels closer to the center of mass. It is not a displacement of the hind leg, but a displacement of the forelegs.
                              The primary purpose of the shoulder in (as in the other 3 classical lateral exercises) is the asymmetrical loading of the hind legs for the purpose of conquering the natural asymmetry in all horses. Using these exercises, one can try to develop more engagement of a deficient hind leg/ When the hind legs have more equal engagement it enhances collection and straightness.
                              www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                              chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Oh lord yourself.

There is increased medial-lateral stress to the inside hind due to the slightly increased angle of the inside hind, as it has to reach under the barrel, which is shifted to the inside.

It ain't rocket surgery. It's basic biomechanics, and it's easily seen on the video.

Comment

There is axial rotation, not dropping of the inside hip. And there is much more torque in LY because they are pushing rather than carrying. The hind legs do not cross, the forelegs so. But there better not be more weight on a foreleg, SI gives greater freedom to the forelegs/shoulders. And because of the bend, the flexion of the hind leg joints and axial rotation is increased. And it would totally depend upon what gait the horse is doing SI in, as to the progressive weighting of the leg.

Torque is rotational force (pushing and turning at the same point), this would be more applied to a western spin's effect on a single hind leg...and perhaps not even then.

The main purpose of si is to be able to get greater straightness through control of the shoulders, this comes from the bending and there the greater compression of the hind legs which in turn gives amplitude.

There is nothing controversial about 4 track shoulder in, it is the degree of bend of a volte (6-8m), something that a trained horse should be able to do. Sf is the degree of bend of a 20m circle (considers 2.5 tracks), and SI is the degree of bend of a 10 m circle (considered 3 tracks). The rules have changed back and forth between 30 degrees for showing, and 3 tracks over the years. Because of the tendency of people to end up w/o correct bend. The greater the bend, the shorter the base of support and the axial rotation.

Imho the video on SI is not proper for a couple of reasons, the horse is onto the forehand, and the outside fore is almost coming around the back of the inside fore because of it. It neither shows good bend nor balance. It really is more a kind of ly with too much bend. Just because it is on 3 tracks does not define it enough.
                                  I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Interesting. OK, so now we have axial rotation of the inside hind.

And when axial rotation meets the ground, you get... torque.

Now, will Hillary Clayton please come and provide some 3D modeling? That would just be awesome.

Comment

Torques actions is like using your foot to smash a cigarette on the ground, twisting and pushing at the same time. That is different from axial rotation followed by thrusting.
                                      I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

That's a good analogy. However, one can experience torque to the knee or hip or ankle without actually twisting the shoe over the cigarette, by rotating the limb and weighting it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X