• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Heavy on Left Rein

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy on Left Rein

Any suggestions on what I might be doing to cause my horse to be heavy on my left rein? He is heavy whether the left is on the inside or outside and if the left is on the inside he has a crick/slight bend to the outside. Even with the bend, he does not want contact with the outside rein.

My horse had a similar problem once. Do you notice you collapse your seat to one side or the other? My horse was asymmetrical along his back muscles so it caused me to "fall in a hole" when he would bring his opposite hind backward. This caused him to brace on the left rein. He reflocked my saddle so it lifted me outb of the hole and sat me level. Problem instantly solved. Now my horse could start developing that muscle and we had the fitter come out monthly to slowly take the extra flocking out of that side as his muscle developed. After 3 months he was symmetrical on his own, the saddle was back to even flocking and my horse was straight and even on both reins! It was quite amazing!
    Please excuse the typos...I'm always on my iPhone and autocorrect is not my friend. Yes I mean mares autocorrect...not mates.

Comment

all horses are naturally heavy on one rein. over time we aim to develop them so that heaviness disappears.

the reason why they are heavy is that they are stiff on one side and dont step up evenly into the contact.

a very good trainer will help you. if you cant afford a trainer there are books you can read but nothing will work as well as educated eyes on the ground.

Comment

2.5 possible causes:

1) Horseling is weaker in his left hind. He's moving himself along with his left foreleg.

1.5) You are weaker and/or less dextrous in your left hand. In effect, this kind of rider has made the horse "less educated" on the left side of his mouth. To make this more complicated, it may be that you are crooked, too.

2) Your left leg is weaker.

Notice how much of this comes from his hind end and your body?-- nothing to do with hand at all.

How to tell the difference?

IME, the horse who is willing to travel straight (not asking for anything special from behind) and who still feels heavy or unresponsive in your left hand has been ridden by some very right-handed people. The horse whose hiney is harder to move sideways from your left leg is the one who is weaker there or who has been ridden by a right-sided person for a while.

Hope this helps.
        The armchair saddler
        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

You may need to counter-flex to have him more straighter and less heavy.

Comment

unequal rein pressure is 99.9% of the time about the horse being not straight.

the entire point of dressage is to straighten the horse and get them supple, balanced etc.

just work the training scale with a competent trainer and your horse will come more even in the contact.

fiddling with the reins (beyond giving on the heavier rein) wont get you the result you want.

Comment

I've been dealing with this recently with my young horse - a combination of massage (he was sore through the poll and left shoulder, wanted to take left rein all the time) and counterflexion so that he HAD to make contact with the outside rein in both directions has really helped.

Comment

how does counter flexion help the horse learn to carry weight evenly behind bend evenly side to side and step thru evenly?

because uneven contact is the symptom of that disease

Comment

If you counter-flex he can't lean on the outside rein. Which is what I was assuming was going as we weren't given video or photos of the rider and horse in action.

It's not very often, but sometimes it's not the rider. Mostly it is (definitely agree with that), but sometimes its not

Comment

Check his teeth.
                    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

ok, so while it may be possible for the teeth to be out, for the horse to need a chiro, and the rider may very well be crooked, ALL horses are crooked to one degree to another, and the ENTIRE point of dressage is to straighten the horse and make him even poll to tail and side to side. (this is why straightness is in the training scale and why steinbrecht said "ride your horse forward and make him straight"

the only cure that will be long lasting and effective is correct training. period.

it isnt difficult to work thru this but you need to understand that the horses body is much like ours... it uses its body in the easiest way possible unless there is a reason to do otherwise.

think how hard it would be for most folks to one day start writing with the opposite hand. this is, in effect, what you are expecting of your horse if you expect him to have even contact from the get go.

correct, progressive development will correct this. it is just basic, correct training.

the one other thing i will add if that you never pull or fiddle on heavy rein , you GIVE on it until the contact is even..... even if that means the horse does neck bend as a result.... as long as you are working the BODY of the horse correctly you will see results.

Comment

When a horse is heavy on one rein in both directions, it is likely to be something more than a strength issue.
                        See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Comment

no. a horse will be heavy on one rein no matter what direction because it is the hind leg that is weak.

really, it is all there is any standard theory book.

Comment

Yeah, like rider issue?

Comment

? even if you have a perfect even rider most horses are born crooked.

i am not sure why this is just a controversial comment? sure, it may be the rider (and i said so) but even IF it is the rider, they still need to give on teh heavy rein and work the horse via the scales.

correct training (of horse and rider ) is the cure.

Comment

Yes, most horses are born crooked. If the rider actually is in the correct position, the horse miraculously becomes un-crooked. Just don't over do it.

Comment

mbm, you are basically right, sometimes I just cannot muster up the patience.

Comment

: ) i am not right, the dudes that spent their lives working and refining and passing the info down to us mere mortals are the ones that are right... me i am just mimicking what they taught me via books and my long suffering trainer ! lol!

OP: if you post vid or pics it will help. if you dont want to do that maybe send a link to some folks via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbm View Post
                                      : ) i am not right, the dudes that spent their lives working and refining and passing the info down to us mere mortals are the ones that are right... me i am just mimicking what they taught me via books and my long suffering trainer ! lol!

OP: if you post vid or pics it will help. if you dont want to do that maybe send a link to some folks via PM.
                                      How many horses that are heavy in one rein or the other have you ridden /trained? You speak with such authority I just have to ask. Thanks for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by nsh View Post
                                        Any suggestions on what I might be doing to cause my horse to be heavy on my left rein? He is heavy whether the left is on the inside or outside and if the left is on the inside he has a crick/slight bend to the outside. Even with the bend, he does not want contact with the outside rein.
                                        Arrange to be observed by a trainer who understand the biomechanical relationship between horse and rider. Then follow their suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                                        X