• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Crooked young horse... Experiences or advice? EDIT: NEW VIDEO FROM LESSON TODAY! #26

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crooked young horse... Experiences or advice? EDIT: NEW VIDEO FROM LESSON TODAY! #26

Hey Everyone,

I am having a really difficult time deciding what to do with my four year old Hanoverian mare and was hoping someone here has seen a similar problem. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place financially so cutting down on diagnostic costs if at all possible is really important to me.

She seems sounds and comfortable 99% of the time, but she really does not want to track straight with her right hind leg, especially when going to the right. The problem seems a little bit better when I ride slightly shoulder fore to the left, but it is still present. You can see what I mean in these photos where her right hind leg is clearly inside of her right front.

http://imgur.com/Z0uCw

http://imgur.com/TeX7N

And here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71HFpirKVKA

Obviously, she is a pretty big mover and I am hoping it is just a compensation for not having enough room to figure out what to do with her hind end. I am worried though that it may be a very subtle unsoundness. Would you look at a horse like this to buy as a prospect?

A huge part of my problem is that I have not been able to get good help with her because of my location. Can anyone recommend a trainer on the west coast who may be looking for a working student? I really need to progress with this mare while I still can and I am horrified by the thought that I might be ruining her or riding her through a bigger problem. Am I just neurotic?

I will try to get a video from behind if anyone would thing that would help.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sonichorse; Oct. 24, 2011, 07:32 PM.

Originally posted by Sonichorse View Post
    Am I just neurotic?
    Maybe a little , but I do see some locking and blocking in that right lumbar/sacrum area in a few moments in the video.

ETA: THANK YOU for posting pics and video so that we can all have a very clear picture of what you are experiencing.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
      Maybe a little
      Riding by myself is so hard. I know if looks pretty minor because she still moves pretty fancily, but she is so resistant to going truly straight that I've gotten myself all concerned and frustrated. She does it at liberty and on the longe, too. I need some eyes on the ground and bad!

Comment

good instructors are hard to find! I travel 5 hours one way for lessons
        Hopefully someone can offer some suggestions for eyes in your area.
        www.destinationconsensusequus.com
        chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

She is young and my guess is you just need to make sure you are not asking too much and focus on developing her strength. My 4 year old WB (5 years ago) was very strong physically but had some straightness issues too and as he developed and I took my time with him - he has straightened out and works very through and correct.

Comment

fid the right chiro and look hard beyond the "obvious"

I suggest finding a chiro who has dealt with hind end lameness; many will tell you there is not much to be done for hind ends ; that just means that THEY don't know what to do; There are at least two holistic vets this area , o. va. . who have had good success dealing with rotated pelvises; do NOT go for expensive Xrays; definitely NOT joint injections especially hocks and stifles this is something much higher.
            breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

body wrap

the Tellington Touch body wrap can be helpful in such cases
              breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far! I don't think there are any chiros in this area (central Oregon) unfortunately.

Things are extra compounded by the fact that I am recently out of college and working in food service right now so I don't have much money. I want to sell this horse but don't think she will be marketable if I can't get her moving straight. She is so fun and sweet, wish I was in a position to really get the most out of having such a nice girl! This is why I am looking for a working student position.

Anyways, sorry if this is all rather whiney! I really appreciate everyone's input a lot.

Comment

this is very interesting...... she is really tracking off to the left with both hinds... you can see it very clearly in the video. at first i thought it was only the right hind, but both do it.

she seems to have a ginormous overstep...

but here is the thing... my guess is that this is how she is compensating and is getting out of her own way - ie: i dont think she can physically get her fronts off the ground fast enough so her hinds wont clip.. so she puts her hinds to the left.

my quick non pro guestimate is that she is being ridden over tempo and way to low in front. if she were mine and i was riding i would get her more up in front - more in horizontal balance, so her muzzle was about even with her hip or thereabouts and i would slow her down, closer to her own natural tempo.... so she can learn to balance better. i would also be very careful with my inside rein and not unbalance her, and i would not do too tight of turns etc while she learns to rebalance herself.

this is a nice mare. i would find help. where are you located?

Comment

btw: does she do this without the rider? on the lunge?

Comment

• Original Poster

I am in central Oregon, and I agree; I am running her off her feet a little in this video and I have wondered about that, too. Rewatching the video, I think it is worth mentioning that it was taken pretty soon after I broke my right leg so if it looks a little hyper active, that is a big part of it. Unfortunately she does it at liberty somewhat as well. I will focus on riding her in a slower tempo and more uphill balance tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks for the input and advice!

Comment

Whatever you do, make sure you use a vet who knows how to do proper neurological tests, and knows how to interpret them, along with other general lameness exams.
                        On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Check your messages. I sent you one regarding a working student position.
                          www.polestarfarm.com

Comment

FWIW....A friend's very nice quality young mare had tight, hard muscles and an extremely difficult time with straightness--Ridden, on the lunge, or at liberty. She also liked to lean on the bit and motor around too fast. She lived in bell boots for chronic over-reaching. Turned out that she had EPSM/PSSM. Diet changes were the answer. She now gets good grass hay, soaked alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, rice bran and a vit e and selenium supplement. Absolutely no grain or sugar.
                            You may want to do some research on it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Very good point about the diet, and I will look into it.

The thing is, I am riding her over tempo because she is naturally quite lazy to a little bit balky. She would much rather stand still or trot around like a pony. The video was taken around 60 days under saddle and so I was maybe a little over zealous about forward and running her off her feet. Now, six months later, I have definitely been letting her slow down since I've been confident in the forward command and feel like she is, for the most part, in front of my leg. She still isn't tracking straight behind though unless I severely over correct.

She is also now living in bell boots.

Comment

i watched another video where she did it intermittently. when she was going at more slow tempo she didnt but when she was being pushed or a little more on teh forehand you could really see it.

i think, and this is no reflection on you as a rider because you appear competent enough - that i would not want to mess around with this mare until i had someone VERY good to help you undo some of what she is doing. If this is a habit then unlearning it might prove to be very difficult.

if she is sound and healthy then she needs to learn how to manage herself so she can walk.trot canter and not step on herself or go wide/sideways behind.

you will need a really really good person at training thru issues like this.

Comment

• Original Poster

mbm, can you recommend any dressage trainers who you know might take working students? I don't know that I have the resources in my area.

Comment

Again, I do want to reiterate, I have known a lot of horses this age who do not track straight and it straightens with correct training and physical development.

THAT SAID OF COURSE have a vet/chiro/massage/saddle fit etc etc always double check. There is sort of a staple list to go down and sometimes you have to go down that list 2-3 times with different professionals.

Case in point, we have a paint who looks like a WB cross and is solid bay - no one believes he is a paint - he is 2 degrees uphill and his neck sticks up out of his shoulders high - he doesnt have a smidge of typical QH in him AT ALL.

The girl got him cheap because he had a lot of quirks and was very very green. We figured out he'd been started in an ill fitted saddle - and he has an ego so he gets really mental (and hot) if he doesnt feel confident about something. Which at that point was everything. Including standing in crossties. But he is a real handsome mover and incredible jumper. BUT VERY CROOKED.

IT WAS ALL IN HIS BACK from the ill fitted saddle. BUT once we remedied this, he had residual MEMORY and anticipated the back hurting so with a good saddle, two massage therapists, a vet-chiro visit and full lameness exam etc - he was still crooked.

I went back to dressage 101 and started his training at the start to DEVELOP his body muscles STRAIGHT. After 6 months of patient good development of his back and hind - he is now straight.

Truth is, none of the vet, chiro, etc did anything but eliminate things but that is ok. I think that is responsible! What did the trick for him was - 1. good fitted saddle plus 2. correct physical development training.

Comment

There are good dressage barns in the Eugene and Portland areas (as well as others, I'm sure). Are you not able to haul in for lessons?

It does look like you need to sloooow down so she can balance herself better, go in a more relaxed way, work in a steadier rhythm, stay out of her own way. Even though you're seeing it on the longe, that could be because she's going too fast on a circle on which she can't ballance at that speed without getting out of whack. I'd really focus on relaxing her and finding the natural rhythm at which she can be balanced, and really try to take your time to get her set up for transitions, changes of direction, etc. so she doesn't get all cattywhompus through them. Teach her that you will create the situation in which she can feel safe and confident that she won't get thrown out of balance, that she CAN do whatever you ask of her, so that she'll relax and all that positivity will recycle itself into steadier, more balanced work, and only that work for which she's ready at this point.

All that said, I agree with ruling out anything in her body that might be amiss through vet/chiro/tack fit/etc.

She's really lovely.

Comment

T TOUCH

find a Tellington TOUCH practitioner better yet a clinic" training" to take her to They can teach you how to prepare her for the "body wrap" also use the "'rearning obtacles" to help her develop awareness of her hind end; as well as your awareness. It is worth the time and effortI do enjoy watching as they learn a way of going.
                                        Last edited by Carol Ames; Oct. 21, 2011, 12:56 PM. Reason: typos
                                        breeder of Mercury!

Comment

Working...
                                        X