• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Make My Saddle Sticky!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make My Saddle Sticky!

Ok, I KNOW some serious leather nazis hang out in here that can help me solve my little problem.

I have a Black Country dressage saddle they built for me about a year ago that I received as a gift. I love it, adore it, it is my precious. When I got it, it came with a little instruction tag that said "DO NOT CLEAN. WIPE OFF WITH A DAMP CLOTH AND APPLY CONDITIONER/BALSAM AFTER."

So, like the good little direction-follower I am, I have not cleaned. I've wiped dirt/sweat off and applied Effax Lederbalsam. The leather shines and feels beautiful, I think it's the heritage leather, if I remember correctly.

Teensy side effect: it is as slippery as an ice rink for my legs and bum. I guess I am definitely not cheating on my position, but I'd like a wee bit more grip please! Help before I slide off the other side!
    Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
    We Are Flying Solo

I always feel like my saddle is stickier when I use the Effax or Passier Lederbalasm on it. Do you ride in full seat breeches?
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Comment

lederbalsam is a petroleum based conditioner/protectant so depending on your breech fabric and the grain of the leather, you could be creating a slip and slide on your saddle.
      my guess is you are applying
      a. too much goop
      b. too often to the top grain of the leather (what touches your body)
      c. not buffing with a cotton micro thread cloth the day after application
      or
      d. all of the above.

the top finished side of leather can't really absorb much moisturizers, and realistically only need to be renewed twice a year or so to keep them waterproofed. The underside of your flaps will be the rough side of the leather, which will absorb moisurizers like a sponge. If the leather is dry, you'll want to use a lanolin based conditioner or an organism based fat (plant or animal) because the molecules are small enough to be absorbed. the petroleum based products you are using are more for a final sealant when the leather is at the desired suppleness and moisture level to keep you from having to condition with fats frequently.
      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Your putting on way too much balsam. The balsam is the best thing to use for making leather tacky (as in sticky), but to much will just be greasing it up like you want to slip. You should only use enough that the leather is "dry" (no oil residue) after 2-3 hours or at mist by morning if your going for a deep moisturizing. Then you buff the leather with a clean cloth (I like the higher quality microfiber cloths for this task) until grippy. Next make sure you are only cleaning the inside of your boots with water and occasionally some non-glycerine based cleaners. No polishing the inside of the boots either. Lastly if your wearin full seats the material might not be a good match for yor saddle leather and conditioning technique. Try knee patch breeches or a higher quality clarino or soft leather full seat.

Lastly for a temporary helper to get you in the right spot use a tacky gel based "sticky stuff" instead of sprays or sticks. He later is difficult to clean and usually too sticky to provide the best support.

Comment

Use Stubben Hamanol, it works really good!

Comment

I like the Oakwood leather conditioner. It seems to do a good job and it leaves the saddle just a tiny bit tacky in a nice way from the beeswax, which also makes it water repellent.
            If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
              lederbalsam is a petroleum based conditioner/protectant so depending on your breech fabric and the grain of the leather, you could be creating a slip and slide on your saddle.
              my guess is you are applying
              a. too much goop
              b. too often to the top grain of the leather (what touches your body)
              c. not buffing with a cotton micro thread cloth the day after application
              or
              d. all of the above.

the top finished side of leather can't really absorb much moisturizers, and realistically only need to be renewed twice a year or so to keep them waterproofed. The underside of your flaps will be the rough side of the leather, which will absorb moisurizers like a sponge. If the leather is dry, you'll want to use a lanolin based conditioner or an organism based fat (plant or animal) because the molecules are small enough to be absorbed. the petroleum based products you are using are more for a final sealant when the leather is at the desired suppleness and moisture level to keep you from having to condition with fats frequently.
              Effax lederbalsam is mostly lanolin based, if I recall correctly. I agree though, most people only condition the top side and completely ignore the rough side, which is where most of your deep conditioning magic happens.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ah, ok, thanks, some good thoughts here! It is very likely that I am gooping too much, it is definitely a slip and slide up there. Although I only put a very small amount on and it dries very quickly, perhaps within 10-20 minutes. I do the seat very rarely. But I do put it on all surfaces, top and bottom. I have not buffed it off afterwards. I do not ride in full-seat breeches and I don't polish the boots/half chaps either.

So it sounds like the best course with the lederbalsam is to make sure and buff it off after application.

But then what about sweat/dirt marks on flaps and billets? I wipe them, but that doesn't get it all off. I have saddle soap and Leather New, but the tag made me afraid to put those on there. But it's good leather, surely that would be ok?

We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
                  Ah, ok, thanks, some good thoughts here! It is very likely that I am gooping too much, it is definitely a slip and slide up there. Although I only put a very small amount on and it dries very quickly, perhaps within 10-20 minutes. I do the seat very rarely. But I do put it on all surfaces, top and bottom. I have not buffed it off afterwards. I do not ride in full-seat breeches and I don't polish the boots/half chaps either.

So it sounds like the best course with the lederbalsam is to make sure and buff it off after application.

But then what about sweat/dirt marks on flaps and billets? I wipe them, but that doesn't get it all off. I have saddle soap and Leather New, but the tag made me afraid to put those on there. But it's good leather, surely that would be ok?
                  Well it sounds like your doing fine and there is a different reason for the slipping. Actually, the saddle shouldn't be dry in 10 minutes. Either the balsam is a bad batch or you put almost nothing on. Hmmm... are you sure the saddle fits you properly? Something suspicious here. I wish I could see the saddle and you.

Comment

• Original Poster

It definitely fits, like a glove, very lovely to ride in. I wish I could explain it better, but when I am riding in it, the surface feels like...sitting on a satin sheet or something. I'm a relatively strong rider, so it's not like I'm sliding all over like a drunken muppet up there, but when heading out with the green OTTB, saint that he is, it'd be nice if it wasn't quite so satiny!

I can put some sticky grip stuff (I'm an eventer) on it, but it seems like I must be doing something wrong -- I've never had this happen before. My jumping saddle is a Collegiate, I care for it the same way, although I do saddle soap it maybe 2x per year, and it is not slick.

We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I would ignore the tag and clean it like any leather with saddle soap and water, then condition as needed. Have you noticed that wet leather sticks to wet leather? It is stickier when it is not shiny.

Comment

Get this stuff:
                        http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr...asp?KEY=1401ff,

It's great, very sticky & won't hurt your saddle. Amazing how it lets you turn loose & ride quietly.
                        Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
                        www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Comment

Sporty Spray!
                          mm

Comment

Originally posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
                            Get this stuff:
                            http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr...asp?KEY=1401ff,

It's great, very sticky & won't hurt your saddle. Amazing how it lets you turn loose & ride quietly.
                            Your link was broken. What was it?
                            If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Maybe it's not the saddle, but the breeches? Try a pair of Stickyseat breeches, just enough stick, not too much. They aren't leather seats, so no leather to leather slip. Relatively cheap, durable and washable. I have an older, really slick saddle, made before soft leather, that is like an ice rink. Much better with the Stickyseat breeches.

Comment

http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/brow...es/4,7967.html

these make a HUGE difference! if you have leather seats in your car, cornering can be verrrrry fun! haha, but really, these breeches make it much easier to stay connected to the saddle. ovation sizing can run a bit on the small side, though.

Comment

The tag almost certainly was referring to you how break in a brand new saddle, not how you care for it in the long term. If you have any doubts, email Black Country. I'm sure they'll tell you the same.

You could also use Sporty Haft Spray and a suede seat cover (a la http://theotherseat.homestead.com/), but again, I think your problem is probably temporary and will go away with more cleaning, less waxing.
                                  Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

I only use the Sporty Spray on the tops of the calves of my boots. The one time I used it on a saddle, it stuck to my breeches in rising trot and darn near yanked 'em off. CAN"T be good for the leather! I don't personally recommend spraying that on your saddle.

I highly recommend trying a pair of full seat breeches. Start with a used pair to see if you like them! They make a huge difference.

A fitter once recommended to me that if your saddle has sort of a waxy coat/slippery leather, use glycerine soap and warm water until it suds and clean the saddle, then wipe dry, and condition...over time, it'll take that top coat off and the saddle will absorb conditioner better.

HOWEVER, I don't soap my saddles EVER--just a damp cloth after each use. I use Effax conditioner regularly, any time my saddles get slippery feeling.

If your saddle is dry in 20 minutes, it sounds like it needs condioner! If I get a very dry saddle (like a used saddle), I use neatsfoot, let dry, then effax over it.

Everyone has different ways of conditioning...hope you find one that works for you!

Comment

"Fafitz" from Dressage Extentions, maybe Dover Saddlery or your local tack shop should have some. Comes in a small tin & is super super sticky. Love the stuff. Won't hurt your tack or your clothes. You will stick to the leather seats in your truck after using it though!
                                      I put it on saddle seat, down flaps. Have even used it on reins that someone mistakenly oiled.
                                      Great stuff!
                                      Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
                                      www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Comment

Working...
                                      X