• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Getting the mareish mare in front of the leg :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the mareish mare in front of the leg :)

I have a lovely mare who is normally very willing and enjoys work. She is lazy, however. If give her a light leg aid and she ignores it, she gets a sharp tap with the whip...her response to this is not to lurch forward as it is with most horses, instead she pins her ears, swishes her tail, slows down and bucks. Wondering if anyone else has a mare like this and if you have any tips for getting her hot off the leg. Thanks!

Ah, welcome to my world.

Is she really tight in the back? Does she just act out during warm up? Is this a recent thing?

If this is a recent thing, do the old standby and check saddle fit first. The mare I lease started bucking on canter departs, turned out the saddle was pinching her wither.

Other suggestion I have would be to not go to the whip right away. Ask with seat, light tap, then THUMP with your leg.

If her back seems tight, maybe try riding warmup in a light seat and do some nice easy canter work. Seems to help my girl loosen up and gets her more responsive to going forward.

Comment

How does she act on the lunge?

This
      http://www.amazon.com/Fleck-Telescop...7512705&sr=8-1
      helped Sophie find foreward
      I wasn't always a Smurf
      Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
      "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
      The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Check the fit of the saddle first.

Then check if her back is tight. Does she do this only at certain times of the month? Worse on one side than the other? As in, will she yield to one leg, but kick at the other?

They rarely do this just for fun, usually they are uncomfortable.

Comment

I concur the check for pain. This includes saddle fit, back pain, ulcers. There are a couple of ulcer horses at the barn where my horse is, and when Lily (for example) is feeling sore she gets cranky.

If you rule out pain and it's just a protest buck ride it forward.

JMO
          Paula
          He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

I agree with check for pain and saddle fit first. Second, make sure you get forward on the lunge. Third, if she bucks at your first whack, whack her again. She could be calling your bluff.
            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

My mare isn't necessarily lazy, but she's not necessarily a volunteer worker or an overachiever-type mare. She's a very sweet and lovely horse, but her natural inclination is not to be hot off the leg. This is something that I have tried to put a lot of thought into. In the past, when I would touch with the whip, she would rather ignore me or even better swish the tail and tune me out-- if possible, get slower or buck. Recently, I decided to get to the root of things and I've taken my spurs off. No more begging on my part. She's very sensitive, so I ask quietly with the leg and if no response, I go to the whip, plain and simple. Start with small taps and up the ante until I get a genuine response, even if that means she's pissed off! Consistency and fairness are the most important factors. So now I'm riding sans spurs, my horse is more forward and I'm working less. She's very responsive to just the leg and, if necessary, light taps with the whip. She knows what's expected.

In all this, I have just realized that I convince myself to compromise. I ask once, I don't get a sufficient response and I may ask again only to get the same response: nothing. But to some extent, my horse learns that she can be fussy or not move or not listen-- and I'm the one repeating myself or backing off.

In the past, my "mareish mare" was the overachieving mare, so this change was hard for me. There is nothing wrong with my horse-- no lameness and regular saddle fittings. It's just her nature. But just like with any kid or person, it's my responsibility to be clear to her that she has a job with expectations. And honestly, I think she's happier not having the discussions.

Whether you like the whip, spurs or the thump with the leg it's always important to get a change and to be fair. I can't ask my horse for things that she doesn't understand. She also likes me to acknowledge when she's been successful.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well interestingly enough...I rode yesterday in my western saddle intent to ride out her bucks and really get after her. She did buck a bit in the beginning, but only little ones, then she was awesome about moving off the leg. We even got prompt, buck-free canter transitions. This tells me she is uncomfortable in my dressage saddle. It was like she bucked in the beginning because she was anticipating pain, but when it didnt hurt she stopped. The dressage saddle is now up for sale and I will be riding her in my western saddle until I can find a saddle she is comfortable with. Glad I posted on here, i should have tried the other saddle sooner

Comment

My girl started doing this after her recovery from EPM. Her saddle fits and Chiro says she looks great. So far our solution has been back to the longe reminding her to go when I ask! Also added some in hand work to get her to remember where her back feet are. Yesterday was much better so I think we are on the right track.

Comment

My horse is developing an attitude as he gets stronger. This is actually a plus for him, because he needed a little more of his own initiative and personality under saddle to really shine.

However, it also means I'm due at least one good buck every ride. At some point, he'll decide he has to disagree with me, buck, and if I ask again, same way, he will do what I want and be fabulous the rest of the ride. Key is appreciating that yes, I did get a response, and ask again rather than really correcting. If I had a problem with him bucking, I'm not sure exactly how I'd handle it... but once he gets it out of his system he is forward and in front of my leg. With anyone else, he bucks or takes off every time the whip touches him until about the 4th time in a row. He's not exactly the horse I can just put friends on and tell them to have fun...

I definitely would consider if it's cyclical or not in a mare, though. Hopefully it's just saddle fit and you will get a better fitting saddle soon!
                    Originally posted by Silverbridge
                    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Hey Frisky

"My mare isn't necessarily lazy, but she's not necessarily a volunteer worker"

OMG! this it too funny. The mare I am riding is so this profile. Can I use it in my sig line?
                      Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
                      Magic Cat - Final Demand

Comment

Sounds like a pain issue you hopefully have resolved but just in case:

Originally posted by frisky View Post
                        My mare isn't necessarily lazy, but she's not necessarily a volunteer worker or an overachiever-type mare. She's a very sweet and lovely horse, but her natural inclination is not to be hot off the leg. This is something that I have tried to put a lot of thought into. In the past, when I would touch with the whip, she would rather ignore me or even better swish the tail and tune me out-- if possible, get slower or buck. Recently, I decided to get to the root of things and I've taken my spurs off. No more begging on my part. She's very sensitive, so I ask quietly with the leg and if no response, I go to the whip, plain and simple. Start with small taps and up the ante until I get a genuine response, even if that means she's pissed off! Consistency and fairness are the most important factors. So now I'm riding sans spurs, my horse is more forward and I'm working less. She's very responsive to just the leg and, if necessary, light taps with the whip. She knows what's expected.
                        Be consistent, be persistent, and be fair. Follow through, wait for the appropriate response, and reward.

Originally posted by netg View Post
                        Key is appreciating that yes, I did get a response, and ask again rather than really correcting.
                        This too ^ Ime you will achieve much more by ignoring the inappropriate answers and re-asking, then rewarding the appropriate answers, than you ever do by punishing the inappropriate answers. You develop a much more willing and happy horse, who also understands your expectations and has a desire to respond positively.

"Expect much, reward little"
                        - always have high expectations, but reward the tinniest try with a release from pressure, a rest break, a rub, or all three. Then build off that try until you achieve your actual goal.

Furthermore, you don't have to go from 0-10 with your whip - your mare might be interpreting your corrections as unfair. When she ignores your seat and leg, you can wiggle the whip at her hind, make your wiggles bigger, then eventually touch, and increase the intensity of your touch. Release the instant she responds with the right answer (even if it was given with lots of attitude). If you provide more phases of ask, she has more of a chance to respond and will start to respond to the lower phases (ie, leg) as opposed to waiting for the higher phases (ie, touch with your whip). When you go straight from leg to whip you might not be allowing her sufficient time (in her mind) and thus some of the resistance she's displaying.
                        ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                        ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

My 4 yr old mare does the same thing-no saddle problems, or any other. It is only in the warm up, then she is light and in front of the leg, but only after the warm up. It is less the more days in a row I ride, but I have a new baby, a full time job, and a 4th level horse so the most I can muster is 3-4 days a week. She isn't one to need lungeing, and I hate it but I have gone back to lungeing in hopes that it lessens the "wind up" phase of our ride. It has made that part of the ride shorter, but I still have to go through a little tough love so to speak. I have been told by a few trainers that this can be a young WB mare response. I don't know if I buy it, but am glad that once we have cantered, I can walk on a long rein, pick her back up and get working without any reminders of staying in front of my leg. My advice is to take off the spur and kick like crazy until she goes. Then lots of praise for going. I also found cantering in a half seat to be part of her warm up that works. I also never ever ever accept a half a$$ response for a forward transition, and always praise a forward one, even if she overdoes it (Canters instead of trot, etc). Try the exersize in the DT Heather Blitz articles too. It gets them super snappy!

Comment

Carolprudm how does the telescoping whip work? Is it heavy? Does it require much skill the get it out there and then come back? If its' like flyfishing then I'm in trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by 4wdNstraight View Post
                              Carolprudm how does the telescoping whip work? Is it heavy? Does it require much skill the get it out there and then come back? If its' like flyfishing then I'm in trouble!
                              The telescoping part didn't work well for me. It is stuck permanently in the extended position which is fine for me because I don't take it anywhere. It is also heavier than my normal whip.

However I have to say that I have had only to apply it to Sophie's butt ONCE. She had been happily ignoring my verbal commands and flicking the whip which didn't come anywhere near her. The first time she ignored me and felt the lash on her butt her reaction was priceless. Now I just have to carry it and she knows it's there. And she knows the difference between it and a regular whip. The lash is longer than the stock so I keep it rubberbanded to the stock
                              I wasn't always a Smurf
                              Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                              "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                              The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Your mare sounds like mine! She figures everything out that my gelding would never notice. The whip sounds good but I wish it wasn't so heavy.

Comment

Just another suggestion for a horse that sucks back and/or kicks instead of going forward with the whip:

You can carry the whip upright and swish it back and forth, creating a noise. This can get a very nice forward response. (You can tip it forward over their mane; just be sure not to hit them over the ears! )

The Brit rider who originally suggested this to me told me to use a short crop, so I started with that. But I soon found that a regular dressage whip works just fine and makes a very effective swooshing sound.

Plus you look cool carrying a whip upright. Very 16th century.
                                  Ring the bells that still can ring
                                  Forget your perfect offering
                                  There is a crack in everything
                                  That's how the light gets in.

Comment

Tip

RE,

I have had this problem as well on my project horse (he stood in field unridden for years so doesn't see the point of forward, lol), Good tips given, I will add one...use the whip hard against your own boot to make a noise. For some reason, that sends them forward, without provoking the nappy response the whip actually against their hide does. Good luck!
                                    (you can also smack the whip on your boot for noise and use leg at same time. Smacking the boot at same time you use your leg reinforces the leg aide, so later, when you use just your leg, they take it more seriously)

Another noise trick I have used , sounds a bit nutz but it works...I put a fanny pack around my waist and put some rocks or gravel in it. They make a clunking sound in rhythm with ride. Obviously, you can't do it forever, but with some horses, till they get into forward groove, it helps. Experiment first though with just trotting, it can make them too forward!

Comment

• Original Poster

wow these ideas are amazing!! Thank you! I'm going to try the boot and over head whizzing noises tonight!!

Comment

Try using a Flag NH style. Works really great on this mare who hates whips and spurs. Also, sitting very, very still is important to her. To much wiggling around also kills her desire to go forward.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...40af34c&type=1
                                        "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

Working...
                                        X