• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

(End of our dressage road post 176) I am an idiot.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MyssMyst View Post
    I am planning on auditing at least one day of every Jeremy Steinberg clinic in the area, and I'm (hopefully) going to the Alfredo Hernandez clinic in a few weeks.
    I am afraid of sounding like a zealot when I encourage people to see Jeremy Steinberg every chance they get! Sounds like you already know he's great.

I get sick of trainers having every rider do the same thing or trying to squish every horse into the same identical program. It's refreshing to go to one of Jeremy's clinics and listen to different advice for each horse, along with explanations of why what he's saying for that specific horse is what will work. The emphasis on teaching, rather than directing, is something for which few people have such talent.
    Originally posted by Silverbridge
    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

• Original Poster

I thinking about taking my gelding (Friday) to do groundwork with Alfredo. I was going to audit, but my trainer suggested taking my Friday out. I'm not sure I'm comfortable enough with where we are under saddle to ride in a clinic, but he long lines like a dream (and is beyond forgiving while trying his heart out), and I'd love to learn some new skills in long lining to break things up.

BTW, here's a couple pictures of Friday at Scottsdale last year (before I bought him): https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...44965251_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...90700168_n.jpg

We're moving him from the breed ring to dressage, and it's been interesting, lol. He's a great confidence builder for me.
      Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

• Originally posted by MyssMyst View Post
        We're moving him from the breed ring to dressage, and it's been interesting, lol. He's a great confidence builder for me.
        That's so important, and so underestimated!

You can learn how to teach him to work more correctly, but if you aren't confident in working with your horse, you can't learn much of anything.

Good luck, and please let us know if you ride or what you observe from auditing!
        Originally posted by Silverbridge
        If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

• Original Poster

Quick update:

Mare is now lunging with a saddle. She didn't even react to adding the saddle to her routine. Ground manners are now installed (although we do still have occasional green horse moments, such as tractors). We're looking at getting her a stall at a couple shows this summer, just to give her a chance to look it over and get a feel for the environment. One of the local shows has some draft/draft cross halter classes, so once she has the environment figured out we'll try those.

Comment

• Photos?
            Video?

well done!

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm having a camera phobe issue I have lost 20, but I still am crazy terrified of being caught on camera, lol. I'll try to get some.

Comment

• Wow, Sipsi - Jackpot is gorgeous - and he & get can for SURE get over a fence!

Carol
                www.ayliprod.com
                Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

• Original Poster

Mare is getting started under saddle next month. I am having a really hard time believing that we've finally got her solid on the ground. The BO added a turnout, so she's on a regular turnout rotation, and that has made a world of difference.

I do have a question, though. How on earth do you get to where you can ignore the DQ's? I know that there are a lot of great people in dressage, but holy crap, I'm done with hearing about how showing in a colored coat indicates that I'm more worried about fashion than my ride and that I shouldn't bother compete on the Arab circuit just for meaningless ribbons (including commentary about the Arab circuit being the white trash circuit). I was absolutely speechless. Add in comments about the disciplines my husband and kid favor, and I'm ready to take a dressage whip to the tushes of some DQs, while holding a dressage foam finger in the other hand.

Yes, I like ribbons. Yup, if I can find a way to do it, I'm rocking a colored coat with gray breeches. My husband wants a reiner or cutter. My oldest son wants a saddleseat horse. My youngest wants a western pleasure horse (complete with long tail). GET OVER IT. I'm just happy that my family can all enjoy horses, even if everyone has different tastes in what they want to do. The breed circuit is a way we can all show together. What is there to criticize about that? Oh, and the Arab show crew at this barn utterly ROCKS.

I'm trying to ignore the DQ's, and be courteous if I can't politely ignore them, but I am about ready to light off on some of them. It really is the bad few who spoil it for a lot of people.

Comment

• Smile,nod and carry on however you want to!
                    mm

Comment

• Let 'em talk! Smile and say "Bless Your Heart". Enjoy your family and your horses. After all, living well is the best revenge!

Comment

• My favorite word in the world ... "So."

My grandmother would always say it whenever arguing and I would get soooo angry but now in my adult life I find myself using it quite often

"Youre wearing a colored jacket? Nobody does that!"

Shrug, "So."

People usually look like a trout on land after that. Ummmmm
                        ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                        http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
                          My favorite word in the world ... "So."

My grandmother would always say it whenever arguing and I would get soooo angry but now in my adult life I find myself using it quite often

Shrug, "So."

This is some of the best advice I've ever read -- anywhere. Another way to accomplish the same effect with one word is "And...?"
                          Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
                            My favorite word in the world ... "So."

Shrug, "So."

I am sooooooooo using this! Thanks!

Comment

• Hahahaha! When I started riding dressage my old BO said I had to ride in fullseats because "everyone else does". I said "I don't care what everyone else does... I hate them!"
                              Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
                              Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
                              "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

• It's kind of hilarious really... here in Utah I could probably count on my fingers the number of people who actually have the dressage chops to legitimately express an opinion on what anyone else chooses to do (and I am most decidedly not one of them!)--and they tend to be the ones who don't.

So I would just give them an amused look and move on...

Comment

• LOL I used to get SOOOOO mad. She is a smart lady Wise like NONE other. She doesnt argue with stupid people...

Im learning... Long road but learning LOL

Another one is, "That doesnt sound like me."

Example:

"But if you wear a colored jacked they will think you are more interested in fashion!"

Thoughtful look, "Hmm. That doesnt sound like me." And then just go on with what your doing.

Bwahhaah what do you say that that? NOTHING THATS WHAT! LOL

Oh, I have a bag of them!

You see I learn them from people who are tired of me trying to argue with them. I start out very angry, but later Im like that clever witch! LOL (not my grandma other people)
                                  ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                                  http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I have to laugh about the remarks made to you about the Arab circuit. I don't know where you live, but in my part of the country, those Arab shows are really competitive.

What you don't have at an Arab show (usually) is someone in the warm-up area that thinks they are the only person in the ring. Add to that, these open dressage folk who think that anything going on around them while they are riding a test, is an excuse as to why they could not get their horse past the flowers. I'd like to see a few of them ride a hunter class with 20+ horses doing the hand gallop. That would put some hair on their chests! Those Arab dressage horses are frequently cross-entered in hunter or show hack. Can you see some of these open dressage horses doing all that?

Comment

• Most dressagies around here are nice. There are a few snobbies. I did have some weird looks taking my Morgan appendix cross to a t rated show but when he did well and beat some of them I started getting oh he is so pretty and is so nice. Lol. I'm going to love to see the looks when I take my stocky apha to usdf shows lol. Should get some good looks but when he moves he believes he is a mini warmblood lol.
                                      Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

• You might be interested in reading about Heather Caudill, a trainer here in Central Florida. She shows Gypsies. http://www.gypsyhorsejournal.com/?q=...-english-style
                                        Apologies if this has been posted.
                                        Looking forward to your updates!

Comment

• Honestly, you can go to a dressage show in Utah and see every breed, shape and size of horse, with their owners all having a good time and supporting each other--I've really never encountered any breed snobbery, and I ride a very unconventional horse.

Our dressage group ran our first recognised show yesterday--we had 69 rides in total, running the full gamut from intro to GP, with entirely respectable scores, and I'd say there were fewer warmbloods than assorted stock horse breeds, TBs, ponies, and some very nice Arabs qualifying for Arabian Sport Horse Nationals (which will be just up the road in Boise this September.)

So, come join the fun, we'll be happy to welcome you.

Comment

Working...
                                          X