• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dr. Cesar Parra

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Cesar Parra

well, there's a hurricane blowing through, and I've got the fresh September issue of Dressage Today. On pg 40 there's a picture of Dr. Cesar Parra on Grandioso. They look like an impressive pair with classical form. I'm a classical student so I wanted to do a little digging on the dude. Perhaps I've been living in a cave, but I'd never heard of him (I don't keep up much with who's who in competitive dressage)
    I was able to find other documentation of him riding correctly, and horses he's riding moving correctly, but what I find odd is I haven't found any images or video of his students or apprentices riding in the same classical style. Am I coming up empty on classical riding from his students for a reason, or have I not done enough digging on this guy yet?
    I'd like to audit a clinic, but I'm not going to waste my time if the dude isn't preaching what he practices.
    I'd like to hear your thoughts. TIA
    Last edited by Petstorejunkie; Aug. 27, 2011, 04:26 PM. Reason: clarification of post to be less subjective
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Do more digging.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Comment

i'll be brave

i dont know CP, nor have i ever seen him ride in person. however, what i have seen on video, and what i have heard from folks that have ridden with him, has not left a good impression.

i suggest searching youtube and see what you can find. if you are a traditional rider/trainer CP probably wont be for you.

Comment

The internet is fun and all, but make a few private phone calls to get information about an instructor. Don't risk damaging someone's business or reputation because you like to post anonymously online. There's a real person at the end of every negative post on every kind of forum. How would you feel? Or to put it another way, what would Buddha do?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by norton View Post
          The internet is fun and all, but make a few private phone calls to get information about an instructor. Don't risk damaging someone's business or reputation because you like to post anonymously online. There's a real person at the end of every negative post on every kind of forum. How would you feel? Or to put it another way, what would Buddha do?
          If you have personal experience with him or one of his students, please share! I'm not trying to damage anyone's reputation by inquiring whether someone possesses the ability to pass on their knowledge effectively. I don't know anyone who has ridden with him to call, hence starting a thread. I've slightly altered the OP to be more objective

Comment

if you are referring to my post, i said nothing about him personally, just expressed my opinion based on what i have seen and what i have been told, in the context of a person seeking a classical trainer.

i agree that wholesale slamming of someone and purposely trying to ruin someone is not ok.

however, having an opinion, and voicing it is fine.

Comment

Sign your name.

Comment

am i not allowed to say what i feel about a topic because i, like you, dont have my name in my sig line?

here is a hint, threads like this are totally within the boundaries of this board. they happen all.the.time.

they usually come and go until someone decides to be the hero and "defend" the trainer in question from people, those posts tend to really cast a not good light on the trainer in question.

just MHO of course.

Comment

I haven't offered an opinion on a trainer, which several of you have. Apparently, the justification is boredom in a hurricane. If you don't know anyone in the area, all you have to do is call the trainer and ask to visit the barn and watch a few lessons.

Something can be "allowed" on a forum and still not be the right or moral thing to do.

Sometimes threads like this are started by a competitor hoping to damage someone's business. The original poster might have posed what he/she feels to be legitimate comments. There's absolutely no way to know.

Why should any individual have to wait for someone to come to their defense? Don't say anything hurtful in the first place.

Comment

Personally I would be leery --but make up your own mind....You have a PM

Comment

wait. i didnt say anything hurtful.

the person in question has a BUSINESS. People will have all sorts of opinions - both good, bad and indifferent about said business.

I agree that if people post things that are not true, meant to hurt teh business etc then that is not good.

but having an opinion is not bad.

my opinion, based on what i have seen, is that i would not chose to work with said trainer.

but big deal? i am sure said trainer knows that not everyone will want to work with him.

Comment

I don't understand what some are implying by saying he is not a classical trainer... He follows the dressage scale and doesn't use rollkur. He works a lot from the ground both lunging, long rein and in-hand. I saw him ride during a clinic and he is really really good. Firm, a bit on the tough side but really fair and good to the horses.

He is very dedicated to his horses and he knows how to bring the best out of them.

For the serious riders only. And he can be funny too!

I wish he would come back around here so I could ride with him!

I think there is a thread somewhere here about him.
                        ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                        I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                        HORSING mobile training app

Comment

I have ridden with Dr. Parra in two separate 2 day clinics on 2 different occasions, so I feel more qualified than some on this thread to comment. I have also "hung out" with him on his visits, so have spoken to him outside of the actual lesson time about horses (and life).

Feel free to PM me for my thoughts.

However, please be aware that it seems that to some on this BB (ahem, mbm), NO ONE is "traditional" in the training (I'm only slightly exaggerating). I'm not even sure what "traditional" means. After all, she thinks Carl Hester rides horses deep and is non-traditional, and I think he's one of the least controversial trainers out there today. Parra is more "controversial" by that definition, but I'd ride with him again in a second.

mbm, I'd love to know who you train with out there on the west coast. I'm guessing you don't show, of course.
                          From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Comment

• Original Poster

I haven't offered an opinion on a trainer, which several of you have. Apparently, the justification is boredom in a hurricane. If you don't know anyone in the area, all you have to do is call the trainer and ask to visit the barn and watch a few lessons.

Sometimes threads like this are started by a competitor hoping to damage someone's business. The original poster might have posed what he/she feels to be legitimate comments. There's absolutely no way to know.
                            No one is saying anything hurtful
                            For the first time in weeks I have time to actually sit down because a hurricane has forced me to sit on my butt in my house and wait for the weather to improve, otherwise I'd be riding. I saw a picture in DT of someone I'd never heard of... 5 minutes of research left me confused as to whether I should do more research on the person or move on. I post here on a regular basis, and value the opinions of the responders to the dressage threads. I know who has similar values and goals to myself and who doesn't. Based on their responses I can then figure out whether this guy is worth my time. That is part of what makes COTH such a valuable place for information!
                            I can't just fly out to wherever to watch a few lessons with a BNT to make the determination of whether I should audit a clinic or not. Perhaps you have that privilege?
                            I am hardly competition to an international competitor perhaps you should stick around a while before passing judgment on poster's motives.
                            I'm serving appletinis at my house right now, would you like one? you sound like you could use one

Comment

Well, I don't know anything about Parra so I don't have an opinion. I do know the guy that bought Grandioso as a greenie in Germany, imported him and brought him along, showing him successfully up the levels until sold. I've also ridden with him a few times and enjoyed it, learned alot. His name is Jason Canton and he is now based out of the Atlanta, GA area.
                              PennyG

Comment

I believe the little lady in the box (riding Wake Up) on the upper right of your screen is one of his students.
                                "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
                                http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've seen Parra show, a few years ago. His horses were remarkably relaxed, yet exuberant and boingy. Here's a good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ar3AzY2_YY but I don't know anything about his teaching talents.

Comment

I dont personally know CP, but I know that he rode Pik L for Horses Unlimited a few years ago, and did really well on the small tour w/ that horse.
                                    And if the "little lady" on Wake Up his his student, I will say that she and her horse are a really wonderful pair. He should be proud.
                                    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Fixer View Post

Feel free to PM me for my thoughts.

However, please be aware that it seems that to some on this BB (ahem, mbm), NO ONE is "traditional" in the training (I'm only slightly exaggerating). I'm not even sure what "traditional" means. After all, she thinks Carl Hester rides horses deep and is non-traditional, and I think he's one of the least controversial trainers out there today. Parra is more "controversial" by that definition, but I'd ride with him again in a second.

mbm, I'd love to know who you train with out there on the west coast. I'm guessing you don't show, of course.
                                      i think i said pretty clearly that i based my opinion on videos and what i have been told by some of his (ex?) students.

i a pretty sure he trains with hubertus schmidt - who is as "classical" as you can get as far as i know. there is a video on youtube, or was, of hubertus training CP on that fab chestnut.

maybe he is traditional/classical. probably the OP should go see for herself and form her own opinion.

as for me. there are many folks whom i would give my first born to ride with - and maybe some day i will get to ride with some of them!

i am lucky to ride with a good trainer... trained in the german system etc. My trainer worked at Theodorescu's and Grillo's along with other places.

as for showing.... i generally think i am never good enough to show - that i should spend my money instead on training.... so i do ! -

anyway, showing is just showing. whether someone shows or not doesn't mean whole lot (or shouldn't).

that said, i do have a Connemara pony i just started (he is 3.5) and i am *hoping* to show him as he gets a bit older.... we shall see

Comment

What others have said. If you want someone classical and kind... keep looking.

Comment

Working...
                                        X