• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spoiling our horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoiling our horses?

This isn't a thread for anything other than to find out how everyone else 'spoils' their horses. By this, I don't mean ruining them, but rather what does everyone do to give their ponies a little bit of love. I do know that I (or we?) do this more for our own benefits, and that they wouldn't necessarily miss what they don't in terms of extras, but still.

Yesterday my pony was supposed to be worked. However, I was at a BIG party the night before, up early to pencil at pony club (agreed to at a weakened and vulnerable moment the night before), and it was freezing cold so instead, pony was given an equissage massage and some liquorice. He doesn't get treats often because I think it makes him grabby and mouthy, but yesterday he was allowed. He looked quite happy and contented when I left him yesterday - apparently being a paddock ornament has its advantages.
    Riding: the gentle art of keeping the horse between yourself and the ground.

I don't see that as spoiling your horse at all. I see that as cultivating a good relationship with your partner. IMO it goes right along with taking breaks from the ring to do other things, hand grazing, massage, grooming for no reason, etc. There's more to this partnership than just getting on I think.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

I spoil mine with lots and lots of scratches in his favorite itchy spots and the usual mints for a job well done. In winter he gets a yummy mash on cold nights and a deep bed to snuggle into. I love making him snuggly and comfortable on cold dark nights. In summer he's spoiled by living out 24/7 with his buddies.
      Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Comment

I don't consider this "spoiling," but I try to provide mine with the best living conditions and working conditions possible.
        This includes:

free choice hay when stalled
        minimum 12x12 stall, kept clean
        minimum 12 hours turnout per day, often more, with buddies

regular thorough grooming, with special attention paid to 'itchy spots'

professionally fitted tack

a rider committed to maintaining her education with frequent lessons.

Personally, I think they would rather have all of the above than get massages and treats but go around in an uncomfortable saddle and live cooped up in a 10x10 22 hours a day.
        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

what meupatdoes said and...

I feel good when I have them sorted in their turnout with their best buddy. The standardbred loves the thoroughbred. The minis love each other.

Comment

Treats after working (unless she's VERY bad), a "shower" to play in on hot days (sprinkler which is horse-proofed for the most part ), hosing off during the day, hay as I'm cleaning her up for a ride, Scritches on her "favorite" spot. Occassional massages when she's working very hard.

Oh - and sugar free cookies (human cookies) for the Cushings pony
            Now in Kentucky

Comment

I spoiled my horses by buying them 35 acres.

Comment

I feed mine.
                and sometimes I brush their tails.
                I tell them they are good when they are good and sometimes give them a pat as well.

I only feed cookies from the golf cart when I go to catch them.

non horse spoiler here.
                http://kaboomeventing.com/
                http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

We have a system - if a giant horsefly is eating him, he arranges himself so that I can see it, and it gets killed. For example yesterday we were walking in from the pasture, and my horse tha tnormally walks perfectly with me at his shoulder was suddenly up ahead, and I was looking at a big black horsefly on his butt. I killed the fly, walked back up to the shoulder, and he went back to being a perfect gentleman.
                  ... until another horsefly landed, rinse and repeat.

Comment

I swear COTH follows my daily life. Or something. Because today, when it's one of those raining-softly-wait-no-raining-hard-I-don't-care-just-stop-the-rain kind of days, my horses are under their overhangs, not daring to venture out to the pasture or their paddocks.
                    My guys ARE spoiled, and I admit it! No massages here, but they have 12x12 stalls they stay in at night, with access to a paddock of their own, and a tree'd pasture where they can pick up sticks all they want (no, literally. They pick up sticks!).

Comment

Originally posted by LarkspurCO View Post
                      I spoiled my horses by buying them 35 acres.
                      It was only 4 acres here, but hopefully we'll get to add on in the future.

They have very large runs off their stalls, and can choose either 24/7. In the worst of the heat or rain, they choose the stalls, and in nice weather they choose their runs. I'd rather have a horse living in a healthy situation for him than have a very dark bay look nearly black. Sun bleaching is just a part of life!

The horses also eat like hobbits. 5 meals a day.

But all those things are intended to maintain health, physical and mental, to the best of our ability. Therefore, I don't really consider it spoiling.

I'm actually struggling with making myself give my horse all the treats it takes to follow Dr's orders on doing specific carrot stretches both before and after riding. It feels like extra spoiling that's not needed, even though I know it actually IS needed.
                      If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                      -meupatdoes

Comment

treats. Not randomly, but for specific things. The mare is nosy but never bites, pushes, etc.

I also tell her she is a good girl whenever I can.

Good turnout, if it was doable, I would not put in the spoiling category... but for now at least the kind of turnout you are all talking about isn't doable. So she has OK-but-that's-all turnout.
                        You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I boarded at a western barn (Think 4H, trail riders and Barrel Racers) this winter and everyone thought I spoiled my horse because......
                          She had a several blankets for turnout.
                          She got 8lbs of grain per feeding.
                          She had her own tack.
                          I used polo wraps.
                          She had her saddle pads washed after a couple uses.
                          She didn't have a nylon halter.
                          AND
                          I was out there at least once a day.
                          And I didn't even give her any treats! (Only because she doesn't like anything but grains...)

They also thought I overworked her, though, because I worked her 6 days a week for an hour or so each day. My western barn buddy would get 4 horses done in the time it took me to tack up and ride my one horse. :P

Comment

Well, this is gross I know, so if you are at your dinner table, or if you are the prim and proper lady type, don't read...

I scratch my boy's... that... you know, stick the whole hand into the pouch, and start scratching away. He loooove it. It's funny really. The moment the ritual starts, he stretchs all the way out, sighs and moans and grunts and starts to rock back and forth, left and right, just like what you do when you are getting a freaking good massage.

It all started one day when I did my due duty of cleaning sheath, and found he was really loving it, and the next thing you knew, he started to come to me, present his butt, and, well, begged.

Now I have to warn my visitors that if they see one particular bay gelding starts to back his butt to them when they go into the pasture, don't be alarmed: he is simply asking for a scratch in one particular place.

What can I say? He is a freaking Morgan.

Comment

I currently have two and am auntie to another. They all gets carrots and apples everytime I visit, but otherwise, it depends on the horse.

My boy would also love to have his sheath rubbed at volition, but I'm at a public boarding stable, so only during prescribed sheath cleaning times. He gets lots of grooming, special and multiple attention paid to his itchy areas and special scratching all over with a stiff plastic hairbrush. I also play any number of silly games with him at request. He likes to be teased and joked with.

The young mare I am auntie to loves kisses and for me to be extra gentle when touching her ears and bridling her. She adores lots of quiet praise and gentle cuddling.

The old crusty mare detests kisses but doesn't mind being groomed HER WAY and loves grazing. In general she is happy with things being done her way and she is 27 so she gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                                I don't see that as spoiling your horse at all. I see that as cultivating a good relationship with your partner. IMO it goes right along with taking breaks from the ring to do other things, hand grazing, massage, grooming for no reason, etc. There's more to this partnership than just getting on I think.

Paula
                                Along with 24/7 turnout, blankets in the winter (and I never used to blanket ), good rub-downs after schooling hard, treats (when I remember, haha), warm mashes, and just taking the time to relax together and give them a good rub throughout our session. At the risk of sounding all mushy (*groan* ), it's important to me for them to know how much I care When they do, their response invariably seems to be to try harder.
                                ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                                ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

• Original Poster

My boy gets turnout 24/7 - this is the default position for most horses in Australia that I know, and stabling is much more expnsive. So that, plus snuggly rugs, a wool rug and a cotton, as well as friends to play with over the fence, good food and so on are just normal maintenance. I will be spending more time with him later this week, as well as riding him, but sometimes I think he gives me much more than I do him. He has some favourite scracting spots, and I think I'll take a picnic blanket out there later on, and sit for a while in his paddock and let him hang out.
                                  Riding: the gentle art of keeping the horse between yourself and the ground.

Comment

Awww... such spoiled rotten ponies...

Fleck too... Aside from the pedicures, massages, chiropracter adjustments, laser therapy, sponge baths, regular baths, and saddle fittings, blankets galore, fans in the summer, 24/7 turn out with access to his stall....

He also is allowed to rub his head all over me when we're done riding... to the point where he almost knocks me over. It's bad... I know it... but he just loves it! So I let him. He also likes the inside of his ears scratched and his ear wax cleaned out. He will also turn his butt to you for scratches and lately has been soooo itchy on his flank.

what can I say?! I'm a sucker

Comment

Fleck, my gelding likes his ears scratched on the inside, too, preferably with a hard brush, and will tilt his head to demand it, along with a good poll scratching (another must). Then, there's the butt that must be scratched with a hard brush, the neck, the list is endlesssss.... And it has to be done hard and vigorously, so my arms get a good workout. His latest thing is he likes me to "brush" his teeth with a dandy brush. And he also likes me to stroke the insides of his nostrils. Other people at the barn think I'm crazy.

With all his "special requests" plus the usual sequence of curry comb, dandy brush and body brush, it takes me twice the time to groom him as it would a normal horse.

Comment

sugar cubes after every ride, 3 if our ride was exceptional (i don't think she counts the cubes, but i do!), the occasional "knickerdoodle". spending extra time brushing her favorite spots is something i know she really appreciates.

as some have already said, a professionally fitted saddle, and the most padded bridle i could find! (kieffer dagmar)

Comment

Working...
                                        X