• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What is the best place to market a training level/level 1 dressage horse (pony)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best place to market a training level/level 1 dressage horse (pony)?

tack shops? dream horse?

I really need some coaching! This is my first time [ever] selling a horse (my first horse, too! ) and I really do not know what I'm doing! Please help me! All tips welcome!

Other info: There is some dressage interest in our area but not a whole ton because it's more of rodeo country. My mare might also be able to do some lower level endurance racing [she is an arab that loves to trot forever!] or be a brood mare because she has pretty good conformation and excellent mothering instincts. She is not registered though.

Best place would be to send him/her to a well known dressage trainer with students to market and sell him/her.

But if you want to do it on your own I used Equine.com and horsetopia to sell mine.
    http://dotstreamming.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok, I put one up on dream horse and equine.com, headed of to horsetopia next I guess.

Comment

horseclicks.com and equinenow.com are sites with free photo ads and I have gotten as many inquiries from them as I have the paid dreamhorse and equine.com

Comment

Since you are in Oregon, try here:

http://www.flyingchanges.com/

i found my gorgeous WB there years ago...

good luck!

Comment

Do you have a local organization/GMO? Ours has a classified section. FWIW, I found my horse on dreamhorse, and he was only 30 minutes down the road from me. A bonus! I decided that I would travel up to an hour/hour and half away from me, if I needed to. But my wonderful dressage instructor helped me look as well, kept her ears open in the community.

Comment

Cute, I would post her on Dream Horse, as well as do what someone else mentioned, try and get her into someone's training barn. Hanging an ad at the local tack shop and feed store helps, too.

As for the mechanics of selling a horse all by yourself...be careful. Some folks will come to lookylou, get a free ride on the pretty horsey with no intentions whatsoever of buying her. Insist on a contract/bill of sale. Go to Equine Legal Solutions, a web site that (has been having connectivity problems) it appears, but has tons of good advice for you. Free. The contracts cost but not painfully so and are very, very good.

In your ads, state whether she's good for beginners, or needs an advanced rider. I cannot state this loudly enough.
              Know your horse. If she's spooky, so say. That's not always a fault...I've had Arabs for years and can't remember when they didn't need a spook a day. Not bad ones, but still..spooks. Also, if she's sound, say so. The best thing a horse can be is the three S's...safe, sane and sound. In the ad state whether she bathes, clips, trailers, etc. If she's wary of men, or strangers, that needs to be said, as well. If she's afraid of dogs or needs a companion, say so.

When someone comes to look at her, be honest about her faults, but don't over emphasize them. A real horseman will understand. Make sure she's clean, when they schedule an appt to come see her and ride her, make sure it's not around her dinner time, and that she is ready for the person looking at her. Have tack ready for the person, and ask them if they want to tack her up or have you do so. That, really, is an excellent indication of what level of horseman they are. If they can't or decline to tack up a strange (to them) horse, this should tell you if she's a good horse for them.
              One time I was selling a horse and a woman came by to 'buy him' and she didn't even know how to halter him. He'd come trotting up when I called him, stuck his head out at us, waiting to be haltered, and she thought he wanted his nose petted. After handing her his halter, she asked, oh is this his collar? I told her, you know, maybe you should take some lessons before you spend a lot of money. She didn't buy him.

Have her records of everything nearby: shots, floating, shoeing or trimming, etc.

Let's say someone says, well I want to have my vet check her, that's fine. The vet can come to your place. Find out the name of their vet and call him or her to verify that's he's going to examine the horse. In fact you WANT them to spend the money on their vet. If they want to take the horse on trial, insist they leave you with a check for her with the understanding that they have a week (no more) to have her checked out, and if they don't like her, bring her back IN THE SAME CONDITION they took her. Unbred. Wearing the shoes she left in. Even the same halter. They must leave money, for the full amount, cash would be nice but is probably unreasonable, with the understanding that you won't cash it until they either say they're keeping the horse or they are bringing her back. Then get the check checked immediately, to see if it's a good one. Make sure you know where they're taking her, and get a license plate number. Tell them you'll come by their place in a day or two 'to see how she's doing'. Sad to say, these precautions were unnecessary until a few years ago. Make sure you know what they look like and where the horse is, you can always insist on looking at their place before hand. Ask to see their driver's license: if they don't have one or 'it's in my wallet in the truck" that is your signal that they're not on the up and up. How do they propose to get the horse to their place without a driver's license?

Contract it, get a signature, and don't take "I think contracts are unnecessary" for an answer. Contracts will save your butt, I am here to tell you. Contract. Bill of Sale.

Trust your gut. If something tells you something's not right about the buyer, believe it. Then again, if your gut is merely saying, it's lunch time, then you probably don't have too much to worry about.

There's a lot more. Be careful. Dream horse will help you, they're a reputable website.
              Good luck!
              The best thing to do on a golf course is a GALLOP!

Comment

• Original Poster

hrsmstr, thank you for your reply. that gave me a lot to think about and will hopefully help me to have a more smooth transition. Although, I will admit that you made me jump when you said make sure she comes back un-bred. Never thought of that one. Your advice is greatly appreciated because I have never sold a horse before and want things to go smoothly. Thanks!

Comment

hrsmstr ... GREAT info, thanks for sharing. And excellent signature line
                  *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

I mentioned unbred because the woman I'm leasing my current horse from bought an Arab/Hungarian mare with a filly at foot. The sellers had no stallion but had had the mare bred and foaled her out and then sold her.
                    About eight months later, my friend noticed that the mare was 'getting fat' and put her on a diet, and kept her working, and the mare kept getting fatter...until one morning, my friend had not one, not two, but THREE equines...the newest one, still wet, was a MULE.

"Oh, that little devil!" was all the seller would say about her miniature jack donkey. The seller thought it was funny...my friend didn't think it funny at all.
                    The best thing to do on a golf course is a GALLOP!

Comment

Working...
                    X