• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help me with Training Level Test 3: Update post #43

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with Training Level Test 3: Update post #43

I thought this question had been addressed earlier but, if it has, I can't find it.

I am trying to improve my TL test 3 scores - and I always get dinged on the trot loops for not having enough bend. I'll be honest - I don't know which way to bend or how much. The first loop is after a track left at C, and goes HXK. Instead of me telling you how I ride it, could someone please tell me the correct way - for the entire loop? Same for loop tracking right that goes MXF.

I even watched the USDF videos and couldn't get a good idea from that either.

We did get the best score yesterday we've ever gotten on test 3 but there's lots of room for improvement. Help!!

TIA!
    Last edited by oldernewbie; Aug. 13, 2011, 05:57 PM.

It's a shallow serpentine, change of bend over quarterline.

I sometimes start practice with 3 10 meter circles, the middle one going the opposite direction, the acutal serpetine like the test will have less bend.

I haven't ridden the new test 3, but i have a vid doing the the old test 4 where I got decent scores on the single loop I can dig up. The view is from E and not C, so not sure how much you can see though.

Comment

I like to see the rider showing clear bend in the corner
      before the single loop movement starts, a change of
      bend on the quarter line, the rider hitting X maintaining
      the same bend, the a rechange of bend on the quarter
      line in preparation for the next corner.
      Many riders ride it too 'diagonal' like rather than 'S' like.
      www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

It is not a shallow serpentine, it really is a broken line. The changes of flexion occur at the quarterlies, and the legs ask for the changes of bend. Adding a circle between X and the wall can also improve the flow of the work (while practicing).
        I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh I wish we could draw pictures on this forum!!

So, I'm tracking left at C with a bend to the left in the first corner. Between H and X I bend to the right, then take a few steps straight at X and then between X and K I bend to the left or right? Someone told me it is a preparatory movement for leg yield in first level, but that just confuses me even more - if you were leg yielding back to the wall after X, wouldn't you be bent to the left?

I think part of the confusion for me is that the Digital horse chart shows this movement as bend to the right between H and X, kind of straight at X, then bend to the right again between X and K. Is that right?

And I did ride it like a diagonal the first time and that was not right at all.

Sorry to be so dense but I got some conflicting info apparently.

Comment

I was taught to ride it as follows: assuming you're tracking right (because I think that's what you're doing in T3?), come through the corner in right bend, maintain it to roughly the quarterline where you'll switch to left bend, keep that bend through x and when you're back at the quarterline, switch to the right bend again. It seems to work better without a lot of straight steps at any point. (dressagediosa, who sometimes posts here, explained it really well in an article for one of the dressage mags a few years ago.)

This is me and the mare in a lesson back in 2009, practicing it (but in the other direction). She's not the most bendy mare in the world, and I am far less trained than she is... When we're coming towards the camera you will be able to see the change of bend.
            Last edited by quietann; Aug. 2, 2011, 10:55 AM.
            You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Originally posted by oldernewbie View Post
              Oh I wish we could draw pictures on this forum!!

So, I'm tracking left at C with a bend to the left in the first corner. Between H and X I bend to the right, then take a few steps straight at X and then between X and K I bend to the left or right? Someone told me it is a preparatory movement for leg yield in first level, but that just confuses me even more - if you were leg yielding back to the wall after X, wouldn't you be bent to the left?
              Well, I wouldn't ride it that way... I go by what dotneko says.

At C, you track left, so maintain left bend passing H, continue your left bend till you hit the quarter line. Quarter line is the long line running parallel to the long side of the arena, right in the middle between the A-C line and the edge of the arena. This is not a full circle so your bend is shallow.

When you hit the quarter line, bend to right. Ride yout right bend passing X (you should now returning back to the long side of the arena, approaching K), continue your right bend till you hit the quarter line again.

When you hit the quarter line, bend to left, continue your left bend to K, and continue on to A.

You need to show three changes of bend, from left bend to right bend, back to left bend again, with each change of bend happening at the quarter line.

At each change of bend, you literally feel like you leg yield for one step of two (not the whole time). So From left bend to right bend, one step before the quarter line, leg yield from your right leg to left to change bend, and continue. You don't really leg yield perse, but that is basically the same aid to ask for leg yield for one step.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all!

No wonder I've not gotten good scores on this - I've been riding it wrong. Comment is usually "no bend". Guess I've been well judged as I didn't know when to do it or what to do.

I knew you could help me and I really appreciate it. Monty and I thank you!!

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys! I was riding this wrong.....

Comment

Should you change posting diagonals? For me it helps me change the bend (and half-halt), but I don't know if I should be doing that.

Comment

You can change diagonals if you want. There should be no penalty if you choose to do so. OTOH, you and your horse should be able to change bend no matter which diagonal you're on.

(Practice by riding bend/counter-bend on circles and straight lines. Then asking for change of bend on a curving line is no big deal!)

Comment

Originally posted by quietann View Post
                        I was taught to ride it as follows: assuming you're tracking right (because I think that's what you're doing in T3?), come through the corner in right bend, maintain it to roughly the quarterline where you'll switch to left bend, keep that bend through x and when you're back at the quarterline, switch to the right bend again. It seems to work better without a lot of straight steps at any point.
                        Yup, like this.

At an "ask the judge" clinic a few weeks ago, this is how the judge told us to ride it.

My trainer says to think of it like 3 10-meter circles.

Comment

Originally posted by quietann View Post
                          I was taught to ride it as follows: assuming you're tracking right (because I think that's what you're doing in T3?), come through the corner in right bend, maintain it to roughly the quarterline where you'll switch to left bend, keep that bend through x and when you're back at the quarterline, switch to the right bend again. It seems to work better without a lot of straight steps at any point. (dressagediosa, who sometimes posts here, explained it really well in an article for one of the dressage mags a few years ago.)
                          That's how my instructor has me do it. But I've found that if I just think "one step straight" as I come up to the quarter line then change the bend, it's a smoother line.
                          Last edited by mp; Aug. 2, 2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Here is a very good article on this movement from back in the Training Level, Test 4 days. http://www.laurensprieser.com/wp/wp-...alhorseman.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzy.pony View Post
                              Here is a very good article on this movement from back in the Training Level, Test 4 days. http://www.laurensprieser.com/wp/wp-...alhorseman.pdf
                              That's it! I completely forgot that it was in PH, not a dressage magazine.
                              You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I hate hate hate these loops.

I think it's bizarre that this is the only test at any level with no ordinary trot circles in it.

If a judge type could explain to me why they like this test and these loops, and why it is that they are in this test but no other, I would be grateful.

The shape kind of works in the short arena as a set of connected 10m arcs but is just not right in a long arena.

I miss last year's training 3, with the figure 8 circles, which was my favorite of the training tests. Sniff.
                                If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Also, if any test movement ever called out for an explicit diagram for the line to be ridden, it is this one. I very much would like to see the test itself call out the precise expected line in the short and long arena. Given how long these loops have been in the tests, it's nuts that there's not clear understanding of how we are expected to ride them.

Edited to add: even the Practical Horseman article says that as written, the test calls for two straight lines. And yet, the judges seem to want the loopy line. There's no reason to make everyone guess.
                                  Last edited by poltroon; Aug. 2, 2011, 01:01 PM.
                                  If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

IMHO, it is pretty clear that they don't want straight lines.

1. The movement is called "one loop"

2. The directives include shape of loop and changes of bend. Neither of those would occur if you did straight lines.

I don't necessarily love the test either, but I think it serves the same purpose as a serpentine would at this level, i.e. can the horse maintain all the objectives of the level while changing bend.

ETA: the movement with straight lines would be written
                                    "HXF, free walk on two diagonals"
                                    Last edited by joiedevie99; Aug. 2, 2011, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Scribing this last weekend, the judge pointed out, "I wish more people rode it as a LOOP! It's a LOOP, not a zig-zag!"

The earlier description wherein you maintain the bend out of the corner, change bend at the quarter line, maintain bend until the next QL and then switch is exactly what this judge was rewarding.

Spectrum.

Comment

I've been having trouble with this as well. Sorry if this is dense - but tell me if this is correct. Another way to say this would be that for the HXK loop, the "lines" from H to X and from X to K aren't straight lines at all, they are really shallow arcs? Is that correct?

Comment

Working...
                                        X